Would you work for minimum wage?

Guest chris955

My feeling is they are taking advantage and together with the travelling it would put me off but I am sure you have sat down with your husband already and talked about it.

Ali, I agree, hubby is a real grafter and this is the first time he has been unemployed since he was 16, I think the novelty of not working has worn off, he really wants to get back to work. I guess I am also a little annoyed as I know that although the job isn't typically well paid anyway, they're offering considerably less than what he got for doing the same thing in the UK, and a lot less than what we have seen similar jobs advertised at. I don't know if they are taking the mick or not. My parents seem to think they are taking advantage of him. I guess I'd prefer him to do the apprenticeship, as there will be better prospects at the end - but it's not really my decision. We'll see what happens.

Guest Guest26012

I would say go for it! It gets some Australia experience under his belt and a chance to network.

Ali, I agree, hubby is a real grafter and this is the first time he has been unemployed since he was 16, I think the novelty of not working has worn off, he really wants to get back to work. I guess I am also a little annoyed as I know that although the job isn't typically well paid anyway, they're offering considerably less than what he got for doing the same thing in the UK, and a lot less than what we have seen similar jobs advertised at. I don't know if they are taking the mick or not. My parents seem to think they are taking advantage of him. I guess I'd prefer him to do the apprenticeship, as there will be better prospects at the end - but it's not really my decision. We'll see what happens.

Thing is ... if your hubby is anything like mine - he'll know best ... I just give my opinion and after a while he makes the decision to do the thing I was suggesting in the first place. When I really think that he needs my guidance (lol), I plant the seed and leave it alone, he's stubborn and if I went on he'd dig his heels in (even if he agreed), so I let him come to his own conclusions (so to speak).

I can imagine he's a bit stir crazy - leave him to it, he knows he's got your support, when the commute and petrol money prove too much .. he'll change his mind ... you just need to act surprised :wink:

I'm not so sure they are taking advantage, if they are looking to employ a casual (by the way I would check the award, $19 seems low for a casual) they are unlikely to give a casual a company vehicle full time and therefore need it collecting from the depot. Remember it is not the companies fault where you guys live, I would advise taking the job for CV purposes, but as others have said your husband needs to do what he thinks best.....

A mixed bag of replies, interesting. Blossom, we're in Seaford Rise and he'd have to commute to up near Salisbury. Moving to the northern suburbs isn't an option as we are staying rent and bill free with my family and they will help us looking after our son when we're both working, so less child are costs.

I know $15k isn't a huge amount but we seriously have very little to spend money on, we're in a very lucky situation in that I have comfortable parents who insist on making life as easy for us as possible until we're both working, and even then they will continue to allow us to stay rent and bill free until we're ready to buy, a few years from now. I think they are just making sure that we don't decide Australia isn't working for us and move ourselves and their grandson back to the UK.

You guys are right with the networking and the casual thing. It's just the money is so bad, and mixed with that commute.....

Apparently if you drive up the coast rather than via the city you can do it much quicker and the traffic isn't as bad. I was talking to guy a few weeks ago who travels from Port Noarlunga to Mawson Lakes and reckons he can do it in 45 minutes. I didn't believe it myself but I've never done it. Maybe you can try the drive today and see what it's like.

Apparently if you drive up the coast rather than via the city you can do it much quicker and the traffic isn't as bad. I was talking to guy a few weeks ago who travels from Port Noarlunga to Mawson Lakes and reckons he can do it in 45 minutes. I didn't believe it myself but I've never done it. Maybe you can try the drive today and see what it's like.

There is no way he is doing the speed limit to get there in that time. Even on a day with no traffic at all. That way is full of traffic lights. I tried coming home that way when I had to go straight to Brighton from work a couple of times and it would have been quicker for my to go down south road and cut across at Anzac highway.

I've only ever had one person say 'try this way it's quicker' (which I get a bit as I drive so far) who has actually been right. He said go down Churchill road rather than south road the whole way. It is indeed quicker.

The way I would look at it as an opening into the company.

If it was me and I needed the work I would take the job as is for a few months, work hard so the boss knows you're a good employee and will want to keep you.

Then in a few months talk about the conditions, say it is not really working for you financially or time wise.

Once they know you they will probably let you keep the van home overnight and maybe a wage rise.

So I'd take it and then on working on fixing up the issues in a few months after they know him and hopefully like his work.

There is no way he is doing the speed limit to get there in that time. Even on a day with no traffic at all. That way is full of traffic lights. I tried coming home that way when I had to go straight to Brighton from work a couple of times and it would have been quicker for my to go down south road and cut across at Anzac highway.

I've only ever had one person say 'try this way it's quicker' (which I get a bit as I drive so far) who has actually been right. He said go down Churchill road rather than south road the whole way. It is indeed quicker.

That's what I thought too, but as we don't live down that way I wasn't in a position to argue really.

OP - have you done the drive? I did think if your OH did the drive it might either put him off or out your mind at rest depending on how it went. I know where you are coming from with not wanting him to be away from home for quite so long during the day, I'd feel the same. However as the job is only casual maybe he could just do it for a few weeks until either something else comes up or until he can get on an apprenticeship or something. I hope what ever he decides to do it all works out for you guys.

I agree with a lot of the others. Its an opportunity to network, to get his face out there and so on with potential employers (and gaining experience and reference in the Aus job market).

I'd rather work for less than not work at all, especially as a stop gap or for 6 months with a view to moving on or looking for something else in the meantime. Often being in employment seems to make you more employable than if you are not working. Its a weird logic but it does often tend to be the case. And considering training also is a good thing that he could look to in future if he wanted.

Also I would think your OH needs and likes to work. To have a purpose to get up in the morning, even if its a ways away. Staying with the in laws and not having any income (even with some savings behind you), a person needs to feel and be independent and have a purpose on a day to day basis. Otherwise it can start to get you down. I can appreciate that aspect of it and if he is happy to do it and wants to, what is wrong with that. He can look for other work still but will at least be working in the meantime.

My hubby took a new job here in the UK a few years ago. It meant a 5 hour round trip each day for his commute. 2.5 hours each way all up. He did it as a short term thing for 6 months while we looked and planned to relocate nearer to the job. It wasn't great but it was ok and we knew it was for a set period of time and that there would be an end to it. I certainly would not have stood in his way or put him off the idea of taking the job when he wanted to do it. It cost in rail fare etc for the period and his time but it was worth it in the end. We moved in the autumn to the area of his new job and found a great little town to settle in. But if he hadn't been prepared to do that 5 hour round trip commute for 6 months, he'd have missed out on a great opportunity and experience. I was up for it also which helped. Sometimes I think you just need to support your partner even if you don't always see eye to eye with them. Work is an important thing for many people, even if its temp or casual or low paid. Its not just about the money IMHO, especially when moving to a new country.

Archived