Thousands fined in Easter roads blitz (Qld)

PontePom

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest 47403

I have no sympathy at all, I have heard people on here say about the inconvenience of booze buses and I fully understand but if for every 100 people stopped if it gets 1 drink driver then job done IMO speeding or using a mobile tough ****.

Sorry, but I disagree. The cameras are there simply as a money making scheme. I drive up and down the Kwinana between Perth and mandurah a fair bit. The driving is shocking and I can count on my fingers the amount of police I have seen in 5 years on my fingers. But plenty of speed cameras hidden in bushes.

I have been pinger for speeding. I was on the freeway in the middle of the night. It's was completely empty and I was fined for doing 103 in a 100. Please tell me that isn't just a money grab.

Guest Guest 47403
Sorry, but I disagree. The cameras are there simply as a money making scheme. I drive up and down the Kwinana between Perth and mandurah a fair bit. The driving is shocking and I can count on my fingers the amount of police I have seen in 5 years on my fingers. But plenty of speed cameras hidden in bushes.

I have been pinger for speeding. I was on the freeway in the middle of the night. It's was completely empty and I was fined for doing 103 in a 100. Please tell me that isn't just a money grab.

I agree at 103 in a 100 it is a money grab especially at night when it's quiet, but it's 103 in a 100 your breaking the quite clearly stated speed limit............you takes your chances you pays your money on another night you would have got away with it such is life.

But what is the point of it. It has nothing to do with safety. I have seen one crash and been involved in a very near miss when drivers were suddenly distracted by the flash of a hidden camera.

It smacks of the politicians and police yet again forgetting we the public are (should be in charge) we are the master of the rules, the police and politicians are public servants. They need to go and look at them two words and think very hard about what they mean. Unfortunately, we as their masters are too wiling to forget that we are.

But what is the point of it. It has nothing to do with safety. I have seen one crash and been involved in a very near miss when drivers were suddenly distracted by the flash of a hidden camera.

It smacks of the politicians and police yet again forgetting we the public are (should be in charge) we are the master of the rules, the police and politicians are public servants. They need to go and look at them two words and think very hard about what they mean. Unfortunately, we as their masters are too wiling to forget that we are.

What do you suggest - higher taxes for all?

In general I agree that catching the serious speeders is a good thing, and making people slow down to the limits in the built up areas is worth doing. A little while ago there was someone on here moaning because they'd been caught twice on the same road, in each direction, and wanted to know how to get out of paying the fine. She admitted well over the speed limit. The reason being the school had called her and her child was feeling unwell.... now my thoughts were, the child may have been feeling unwell, and so she clearly felt her urgency to get there, however going well over the speed limit in a school zone may have killed another child..... dramatic view maybe, but it happens many times every year...

Edited by Tickled Pink

Totally agree

They only just turned on the new speed camera's close to us on the M1

I always use cruise control so I can't speed

But speed camera's aren't the full answer they're being made out to be. I drive the M1 every day, people drive like maniacs all the time, swerving in & out of tiny gaps in traffic, causing other drivers to break, even at the limit this is dangerous but often see people doing it at 150km/h+ but of course they slow down for the cameras on the Logan Mwy exit, then back to whacky races again. I almost never see a cop on the motorway, if we had unmarked police cars pulling over the idiots I see every singe day we might start to see less accidents. I'm thinking of getting a dashcam.

103 on the fine documentation means you would have been doing 106, because 3K is deducted from any reading according to the P.O. who pinged me. Do the crime, pay the fine, no arguments or excuses.

Marked cars are the answer. Haven't you noticed how everyone becomes the perfect driver when a police car is spotted, however, that wouldn't raise any money but a sure as hell would cut accident numbers and the rest.

Agree there should be more Police presence on the road at all times. If there was, and everyone behaved themselves, there would be less accidents and less call on the pot of government money (Road Trauma Trust or something I think it is called) needed to fund the insurance payouts for treatment etc. Therefore it wouldn't matter if there was less income derived from what some people consider "fund raising", because it wouldn't be needed to such a degree. And guess what? There would be less deaths on the road and less injured people and the hospitals might even be able to cope with sick people needing surgery and treatment. Bottom line though is if you speed you deserve all you get.

Guest chris955

Exactly right. Noone doubts that these cameras are primarily about revenue not safety. As you say everyone slows down for the cameras and then speed up again, that achieves nothing.

But speed camera's aren't the full answer they're being made out to be. I drive the M1 every day, people drive like maniacs all the time, swerving in & out of tiny gaps in traffic, causing other drivers to break, even at the limit this is dangerous but often see people doing it at 150km/h+ but of course they slow down for the cameras on the Logan Mwy exit, then back to whacky races again. I almost never see a cop on the motorway, if we had unmarked police cars pulling over the idiots I see every singe day we might start to see less accidents. I'm thinking of getting a dashcam.

Its quite simple if you don't want to be fined, don't speed, pretty simple really.

Marked cars are the answer. Haven't you noticed how everyone becomes the perfect driver when a police car is spotted, however, that wouldn't raise any money but a sure as hell would cut accident numbers and the rest.

Marked cars are a very good deterrent but in our town our police like to cruise around in brightly coloured boy racer cars .... Talk about gotcha ... I like a police presence but down right sneaky tactics is wrong so wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

103 on the fine documentation means you would have been doing 106, because 3K is deducted from any reading according to the P.O. who pinged me. Do the crime, pay the fine, no arguments or excuses.

Total crap. Had my speedo calibrated - which was so close to 100 as to be discernible.

Its quite simple if you don't want to be fined, don't speed, pretty simple really.

It is impossible to maintain 100 and those that do are a hazard that should be banned. I hold advanced driving in off road and senior driver. I know what is poor or unsafe driving. I am guessing you are one that drives so slow that you cause accidents in your wake oblivious to it.

No-one can keep a car travelling at a continual speed, you can't keep your foot that steady, changes in elevation, tail winds all add to the changing speed of a car.

Speedo's have a tolerance limit, even greater on older cars than newer ones, using cruise-control can help obviously, but even slightly under inflated tyres can have an impact on the speed your actually travelling compared to the speed displayed on the speedo. Thats why the UK has an allowance when it comes to going over the limit.

It's not safe driving to be continually focussing on the speedo to make sure you don't go over the limit, but In Oz, you can get fined for doing 101 in a 100. They also hide behind bushes to try and nab people.

Oz Police see the motorist as a cash-cow and they are milking it for every penny they can get.

Guest chris955
It is impossible to maintain 100 and those that do are a hazard that should be banned. I hold advanced driving in off road and senior driver. I know what is poor or unsafe driving. I am guessing you are one that drives so slow that you cause accidents in your wake oblivious to it.

The problem is the belief that speed is automatically dangerous. Slow drivers can be just as dangerous as excessively fast ones. the thing that amuses me is when a speed limit drops, coming back from the Gold Coast to Brisbane a section is 110, then for no obvious reason decreases to 100, does that mean that if you stay at 110 you become a dangerous driver ?

How did you know I drive 10 below the limit?

no need to get upset with me. You were speeding, got caught, deal with it. Yes it was a bit harsh only 3ks over but you were speeding none the less.

Good for you that you have done those courses, would it make a difference if I said I have done an advanced driver course and hold a CAMS national circuit licence? Would that mean I could speed when I want? And what is a senior driver?

Why are those that can maintain their speed a hazard?