Thousands fined in Easter roads blitz (Qld)

PontePom

Guest chris955

There are limits on many (most?) autobahns now, I have driven on them and the vast majority stick to a sensible speed, around 80mph, just the occassional Porsche or Aston Martin doing a silly speed. The difference is much like here drivers actually know how to drive so lane discipline is good as is courtesy which makes a huge difference. You dont tend to get the lane changing free for all you see in Australia. If you are a nervous driver or not a good driver then they probably arent for you. It should also be remembered that motorways here and autobahns are by far the safest roads to travel on.

I have never driven on the autobahn my brother in law has and said it was one of the most scariest moments of his life.

I have never done it and don't fancy it'll

I bet you felt like Schumacher lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by homewardbound588

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pontepom sorry I can't quote your post still at station lol .. Speed limits fine with me too I agree entirely x

No problems LS

My brother lives in Germany

But he has a car that loves the speed hehe

I drove on them for a few years travelling into Europe lots and seeing my brother who has covered so much of Europe in his travels

I couldn't believe the speeds until I'd actually done it myself

But saying that I'd rather drive in Germany than in France

But that's another story

My BBQ will be calling soon to start and cook our steaks for tea

Just seen a cracking on one Pinjarra Road near mandurah. Cop hidden in the bushes at a sign that says 80. Previous to the sign it is a 50. They were pulling people who were 1m off the 80 sign but doing over 50. Pathetic. For those that don't know this road it is a long straight double carriageway. Money making in the extreme. At the same time some of the suburbs around that area are riddled with crime. But, hey, you don't get cash back for catching a burglar.

Just seen a cracking on one Pinjarra Road near mandurah. Cop hidden in the bushes at a sign that says 80. Previous to the sign it is a 50. They were pulling people who were 1m off the 80 sign but doing over 50. Pathetic. For those that don't know this road it is a long straight double carriageway. Money making in the extreme. At the same time some of the suburbs around that area are riddled with crime. But, hey, you don't get cash back for catching a burglar.

Time for you to pack up and leave... Don't speed, don't get fined. simple.

Guest chris955

It is the thing that most people are against, not the speed limits so much as the sneaky tactics used. Drivers are a huge cash cow.

It is the thing that most people are against, not the speed limits so much as the sneaky tactics used. Drivers are a huge cash cow.

Sneaky tactics? You mean not having to hold up a neon sign saying "speed trap here". don't speed, don't get fined.

Not sneaky at all

If you're not speeding you wouldn't have a problem

Imagine if someone was knocked down when doing 80 in the 50 zone even 1m before it changes

Then you'd be up in arms about it

It amazes me on a morning leaving the school zone how many accelerate well before it changes back to 60 so speeding

Just foolish

Guest chris955

The sneakiest I have seen is up Mt Glorious near Brisbane, unmarked cars would slow down and speed up and then slow down again to such a point that bikes would overtake and then get pulled over.That has nothing to do with road safety.

The sneakiest I have seen is up Mt Glorious near Brisbane, unmarked cars would slow down and speed up and then slow down again to such a point that bikes would overtake and then get pulled over.That has nothing to do with road safety.

Very little of the policing on WA roads has anything to do with road safety. If they were that bothered about road safety they would patrol the roads and prevent things such as tail gating, no lane discipline, and aggressive driving. But, that takes actual police work which doesn't necessarily turn into money. I am an ex military policeman, so I should have huge sympathy for the police, but I have no respect for them in WA as I have yet to see anything that warrants it.

Guest chris955

It is a major factor in people generally losing respect for the Police, speeding is seen as a huge source of revenue. Im not talking about people doing 30 over the limit, I mean when someone is fined for a couple of ks over.

Very little of the policing on WA roads has anything to do with road safety. If they were that bothered about road safety they would patrol the roads and prevent things such as tail gating, no lane discipline, and aggressive driving. But, that takes actual police work which doesn't necessarily turn into money. I am an ex military policeman, so I should have huge sympathy for the police, but I have no respect for them in WA as I have yet to see anything that warrants it.

Oh for Christ's sake stop your bloody whining.

Guest chris955
Don't be too hard, I probably nicked him some time. After all, when I was in, certain lifestyles were still illegal in the UK forces ;)

Oh, riiight ;)

I probably nicked him some time.

Since when were you in the ADF ???

I remember my father who was in the 6th Division Second AIF telling me a story. They came back from North Africa to fight the Japanese and he related a story that when the ship left England there were seven Military Police on board but when it docked in Fremantle there were only four. Guess that might explain a lot about yourself.

Since when were you in the ADF ???

I remember my father who was in the 6th Division Second AIF telling me a story. They came back from North Africa to fight the Japanese and he related a story that when the ship left England there were seven Military Police on board but when it docked in Fremantle there were only four. Guess that might explain a lot about yourself.

Sorry I thought you were originally RAF. I stand corrected.

That story is the oldest in the military. I have yet to see it. I am no hard man though, so who knows.

There are limits on many (most?) autobahns now, I have driven on them and the vast majority stick to a sensible speed, around 80mph, just the occassional Porsche or Aston Martin doing a silly speed. The difference is much like here drivers actually know how to drive so lane discipline is good as is courtesy which makes a huge difference. You dont tend to get the lane changing free for all you see in Australia. If you are a nervous driver or not a good driver then they probably arent for you. It should also be remembered that motorways here and autobahns are by far the safest roads to travel on.

Nervous driver or bad driver i am not, lol, spent many an afternoon at Donnington

Park behind the wheel, also spent a full day once behind the wheel of a DB9 at Millbrook Proving Ground when I got up to 145 mph on the one mile stretch ... Just don't fancy the autobahns the freeways on the US are dangerous enough

Edited by Love Shoes

Guest chris955

One of my favourite tracks and my next car ;) OK, maybe not next car but sometime in the future. :) I just like having a vague idea what drivers are likely to do next. Did you like the Aston ?

Nervous driver or bad driver i am not, lol, spent many an afternoon at Donnington

Park behind the wheel, also spent a full day once behind the wheel of a DB9 at Millbrook Proving Ground when I got up to 145 mph on the one mile stretch ... Just don't fancy the autobahns the freeways on the US are dangerous enough

Not sure what mince pies have got to do with anything LS.

In England, Oliver Cromwell brought in a law you couldn't eat a mince pie on Christmas Day. Just proves some laws are really stupid, some laws are good, and some are in that grey area in between. It is a matter of opinion therefore.

One of my favourite tracks and my next car ;) OK, maybe not next car but sometime in the future. :) I just like having a vague idea what drivers are likely to do next. Did you like the Aston ?

Oh yes very much so :jiggy:actually it was one of the most enjoyable days ever .... I loved the skin pan, it was really funny when my instructor demonstrated the skidding trick, I though OMG I won't be ale to do that, my first attempt was awful, but once he said get into second gear & floor it, I got the knack of it, it was awesome seeing the rear of the car spinning past the front.

i also really liked the alpine track too, at one point I came round a bend at ridiculous speed, then put my foot down on the straight which approached a downward slope, the car actually left the ground .... I was flying :cool: I am not sure how true it is but my instructor told me that a certain Mr Clarkson had been invited numerous times by AM to test drive the 9 on the Alpine track but refused ... but after seeing him get beaten in (was it in Switzerland) a famous ground .... the name escapes me lol, by a woman in a van it doesn't surprise (he was in a Jag)

Don't speed you won't get caught

That is not actually true given the large number of not guilty verdicts handed down in the magistrates courts. You actually get some pretty heavy handed threats if you have the temerity to ask to see evidence, and you have to enter a plea before you can even see it. Now imagine this scenario, you feel you are a careful, law abiding motorist, yet nonetheless a speeding fine notice plops on your doormat. It's a road you frequently travel, but, you are pretty certain that you weren't speeding. You can just cough up, your licence is clean, but you decide to write to the court, or is it the police, or is it the CPS, and lo and behold a picture of the vehicle comes back, and its not your red Toyota Celica, but some white Nissan something or other, with false plates on it. Happened to me, and you would not believe the grief you have to go through to clear your name.

No speed limits is a dangerous situation

I've driven in Germany many times on the Autobahn and that is scary

No speed limits

I was doing 100mph in the inside lane to keep with the traffic flow and was being passed by faster cars all the time

Wouldn't want to that again

I feel the 100 sections feel to be slow compared to the 110 ones

But someone somewhere decides the speeds and we abide by them

in a democracy it is us, via our elected representatives...............not "someone."

Sometimes, you don't know you're 'speeding' there are a number of factors that can cause a difference between the speed of a vehicle, compared to the speed displayed on the speedo

But don't let the facts put off the hoiler than thou brigade preaching the 'don't speed - don't get caught' message.