Our first week

kellyjamie

Well were here! After an absolutely epic journey due to a 24 hour delay with Malaysia airlines due to a technical fault we arrived exactly 24 hours late, but on the plus side not much jet lag!

Im not really too sure what to say, im all a little overwhelmed if im honest. Luckily Jamie managed to get a job before we came out and he started it yesterday, because we hadnt sold our house so saved some money but trust me it goes very quickly. Weve been lucky that we have fantastic friends to stay with for 3 weeks which has been a godsend.

So we hit the ground running basically, on monday went right out and started looking at rentals, and we have been fortunate to secure a 3 bed townhouse 10 min from our friends, walking distance to school and shops as we will only have one car to start. We did not see this on real estate it was one we drove past and thought we would ask about as its a townhouse in a "complex" we knew they always have one or two up for rent, and its worked perfectly as the guy moving out is selling his stuff so were buying some of it to get us started. These are things you cant account for until your here. I have found very quickly theres only so much research you can do.

I cant tell you how glad we are jamie had a job lined up, i think he would have got work anyhow but the pressure of not a lot of cash and surviving was awful. Our daughter will start school next week which she desperately needs the routine again.

Luckily Jamies boss is sorting us a good car as buying over here we have found a bit of a mare, ill explain later if anyone needs to know. Cost of living were finding ok, shop around dont buy everything from one place, fill your car on a tuesday, and dont eat out too much and you,ll be fine.

Weve been to apply for medicare, which wasnt that straight forward and got our aussie driver licences which was very simple! your licence is your gateway to everything, everyone wants it for id, so do that asap you arrive here and it will make things easier.

I cant tell you how absolutely exhausted i feel, i have never felt so tired by 10am i just want to sleep but hats due to us being up at 530am. I went to Target yesterday to look at stuff for the house and then realised i was standing with tears in my eyes and very emotional because i couldnt believe a bath towel was $30!!! so i got myself together and checked BigW instead and realised it was much more affordable. Once jamie got home i had a good cry and told him i couldnt explain why i felt so overwhelmed, i just did. So today is a better day so far, im looking after a friends daughter today so my little girl has some company, and i truly think next time i update ina month i will be fine, in a routine, in my own house and getting sorted.

A word of warning, no one can prepare you for the first few days here, i feel in a slight trance at the magnitude of it all but on the plus side i dont feel its a mistake what so ever just a little overwhelmed.

Will update once were more settled, goodluck fellow migrants!!

yep thats exactly it, very hard to describe but i feel like im in a bubble! im not sad or regretting it at all absolutely not, i love the fact were here, i think im just so exhausted aswell. were off to the zoo on sunday our first tourist thing so im really looking forward to it!

Hello! Glad you made it out at last! It is completely overwhelming at first. What I found made me feel sad was being down at the shops and not seeing anyone I knew, but once your get some friends through school, that'll change. Hope you settle quickly, good luck!

Hi there, it's good to here of your experience and feelings on your arrival in Oz. I am flying out in June and am wondering how I am going to feel as I am travelling alone. I would be grateful to hear bout your experience with buying a car as I am hoping to buy one as soon as I can after I arrive. I look forward to your next update.

Good luck with everything

The experience is probably the same wherever. Place is about as diverse as a village in Norfolk

:wink:

You've got to be joking. I've had the luxury of travelling around Aus a lot and there is a world of difference between places. Take this weekend for example. I saw a post from you (I think) saying how it had thrown it down in Sydney for the weekend whilst it's been around 40 degrees and Sunny in Perth.

Then there's the totally different climates and topology all around Aus.

You've got to be joking. I've had the luxury of travelling around Aus a lot and there is a world of difference between places. Take this weekend for example. I saw a post from you (I think) saying how it had thrown it down in Sydney for the weekend whilst it's been around 40 degrees and Sunny in Perth.

Then there's the totally different climates and topology all around Aus.

whoosh.gif

whoosh.gif

I think Kelly is in Esperance but she'd have to confirm that! Just what i last heard a while ago.

Glad you are getting settled :) sounds like things are going smoothly as possible! Try to get some rest tho!

Don't think so - there's no Big W in Esperance.

According to previous posts, they were moving to Brisbane.