pingpong poms?

Waitingawhile

I know I will have to ping (or is it pong? I lose track) again at some point and dread the thought - just reading what is going on there, the cost of things (DH is there being "normal" for his holidays and spending up a storm on the credit card) the banality of events - wow, fireworks, bang bang! the restrictions on freedom of speech, how much did your new kitchen cost? my car's better than your car, come over for a Barbie (one day, perhaps, maybe if I need you for something) etc. nah, I will be dragged kicking and screaming but I will return when my olds no longer need us but I don't know how I will still be able to be me and hate to think that I might once again slump into that trough of depression. Each to their own I guess! As long as you go with your eyes open, a backup plan and no burned bridges in your wake then you'll be OK

If you feel so bad about it Quoll why return? I thought your hubby was quite liking the UK.

You don't have to go back to Canberra either, try somewhere else.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you feel so bad about it Quoll why return? I thought your hubby was quite liking the UK.

You don't have to go back to Canberra either, try somewhere else.

I wouldn't go anywhere else, it's the best of a bad lot! and yes he is enjoying UK but I suspect that is partly because he knows it isn't forever - that's the agreement we came to. However, life is what happens when you are busy making plans so we shall see!

so many familiar ping pong stories at least makes me feel almost normal. Originally came out 2008 to Melbourne and lasted 6 months, kids aged 7 and 9 at the time hated everything and missed family so much it was heartbreaking. Decided to try our luck again 2012 and have been in Sydney since September. Everything brilliant at first, kids although missed everyone again were older and fitted in better, a good school this time has helped enormously. Met lots of pommies and made connections. Returning back to UK is on cards again as hubby who is a bricky just been dropped by gang he was with and hes struggling to find other work. Ive been applying for work like its going out of fashion sine we got here and volunteering in local schools, I was a TA in UK. So tough to get anywhere. Aussie criteria for applicants is aussies first, citizens, permanent residents but if youre aboriginal you jump to the top of the list. (Not being rascist, this is actually listed n NSW health criteria). Not ready to return yet so will keep on paying too high a rent and school fees in the hope that something turns up. Will be gutted if we have to as second time of ping ponging affects your little bundle of cash a great deal. I cant even think of how much money weve spent doing this. Anyway, chins up hey

so many familiar ping pong stories at least makes me feel almost normal. Originally came out 2008 to Melbourne and lasted 6 months, kids aged 7 and 9 at the time hated everything and missed family so much it was heartbreaking. Decided to try our luck again 2012 and have been in Sydney since September. Everything brilliant at first, kids although missed everyone again were older and fitted in better, a good school this time has helped enormously. Met lots of pommies and made connections. Returning back to UK is on cards again as hubby who is a bricky just been dropped by gang he was with and hes struggling to find other work. Ive been applying for work like its going out of fashion sine we got here and volunteering in local schools, I was a TA in UK. So tough to get anywhere. Aussie criteria for applicants is aussies first, citizens, permanent residents but if youre aboriginal you jump to the top of the list. (Not being rascist, this is actually listed n NSW health criteria). Not ready to return yet so will keep on paying too high a rent and school fees in the hope that something turns up. Will be gutted if we have to as second time of ping ponging affects your little bundle of cash a great deal. I cant even think of how much money weve spent doing this. Anyway, chins up hey

hi where abouts in Sydney are you based? It does take time that's for sure, I went out in September 09 and didn't find a full time job until the following January, up until that point i worked 2 part time jobs which was not great! although the bonus was the wages are enormous in comparison to the UK ( in the CBD anyways) and as it happens I have had to return to the UK due to an illness in the family and I have not been able to find work for 10 months! I'm heading back to Sydney as soon as possible. It may again take a while to find the 'right' job but until then I will take a cafe waitress Job, the casual rates are usually about $20 per hour and at least time and a half if you're prepared to work weekends. It's not ideal but it can keep you afloat until the right job comes up. Don't give up yet, once you are sorted job wise, it's doubtful you will look back! Good Luck

Dandandbex hope your return goes ok, you do hear horror stories about the UK and its true things are still going to get a whole lot worse in the next year or two. The cost of living has gone up incredibly and they forecast another rise however life does go on, and we have found no probs job wise so far.

Hang in there deanthebrickie I really do hope things turn around for you.I think Oz needs to focus on its infrastructure and building more not less at the moment!

Quoll I really hope that the thought and fear of going back does not spoil your time in the UK, I was so pleased for you in getting to go back. We are def not burning any bridges in going, my OH prob couldn't stand to return again and I wouldn't want to do it to him again but if things go wrong we do both know we can come back, as you have found you never know what comes up!

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out a good friend of mine from Uni ping ponged! Spent 9 years in Oz, returned for 4 years to UK but it really got I'm down so he returned to Oz in 2008. Is this ping ponging something everyone should just accept might be right for them and is part of coming to terms with immigrating?

Yeah I totally agree, for me I went out to Oz originally as an escape, truthfully I didn't know what direction I was going, I just hoped for the best.

I met my Aussie OH out there and carried on with life. The trouble was psychologically I hadn't let go of the idea in my head for the long term future, which included a cottage in the country with chickens in the garden- in the UK ( I am from Devon) .

So all the differences between the two countries I saw as a weakness in Australia, I wasn't prepared to accept the change or prepared to make that commitment long term.

We are now in the UK and not enjoying it, we are in Devon but I hate it! I miss everything that Australia gave us, security, freedom, warmth, the ability to afford life!

I think for us ping ponging was the only way forward being in an intercontinental relationship, this was the only way we could ever make an informed decision fairly, it has cost us all our life savings doing it, but its an investment to the future. We are headed back to Oz this year and will never look back. This was the last time we pong!

I really envy those who know what they want and can stick with their decisions- for me I had to feel what it was like coming back too - we have been back for almost four years and both were lucky to obtain decent work and we should have been content but we aren't, we are ok but it is just not what we want -we too miss the warmth :) - OH has just bought some more 'thongs' and shorts and can't wait, although it will be the start of winter when we get back! We will be doing it on a shoe string as our savings went the first time round and everything we have had since has been sunk into the visa process -we will have enough for a banger and a rental and will have to start all over again. it still feels a no brainer to go back

Guest chris955

For some it works to go back to Australia and for others it works to go back to the UK. Both offer a similar standard of living depending on what you are looking for.

Nothing to do with "standard of living" which infers "financial betterment" to most people.

We were actually more "financially sound" in the UK. Ok, we now have a better "standard of living" (financially) but that is irrelevant, as it wasn't our reason for emigrating. We would have traded that (in the UK) for more security, professional advancement, and personal security (crime levels). Oz has given us that and "financial betterment" (for us) is secondary.

Me and my husbadn and currently thinking of ping ponging :/ Only there for 12 weeks - my advice to anyone leaving is to write down why they are as I seem to have a selctive memory now and even though it was so recent that we came back to the UK (November) - I can;t fully remember why......

Guest chris955
Me and my husbadn and currently thinking of ping ponging :/ Only there for 12 weeks - my advice to anyone leaving is to write down why they are as I seem to have a selctive memory now and even though it was so recent that we came back to the UK (November) - I can;t fully remember why......

The reasons can be many and varied and to be honest the reasons are probably usually right at the front of the memory :) For you to leave after 12 weeks it really must have been something major or even traumatic. No country is for everyone, as I said earlier the standard of living for many is very similar but there are plenty of other things that push people over the edge. I must admit I cant recall anyone leaving so recently that cant remember why ;) Maybe it was so traumatic you have shut it out :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

I met my Aussie OH out there and carried on with life. The trouble was psychologically I hadn't let go of the idea in my head for the long term future, which included a cottage in the country with chickens in the garden- in the UK ( I am from Devon) .

So all the differences between the two countries I saw as a weakness in Australia, I wasn't prepared to accept the change or prepared to make that commitment long term.

We are now in the UK and not enjoying it, we are in Devon but I hate it! I miss everything that Australia gave us

This is exactly the reason I'm so grateful we went to Africa on a contract, before we came to Oz. Living in another country for three years, we missed Scotland - but when we got back, we realised we'd been missing a Scotland that never existed! Living abroad, especially in difficult circumstances, lends your homeland a rosy glow - when you get back, you remember all the reasons you left. It meant we didn't have any illusions about life in the UK when we moved to Australia, so even though it wasn't easy at times, we had a clear-eyed view of the alternative and could choose sensibly.

Hi!

so are you back in Perth now???

having serious discussions here now about what we need to do to get back ASAP to beautiful brisbane!

Xxx

hi we have been back just over a year-it was tough at first as we did it on a wing and prayer financially although I had managed to secure work before I left the uk which gave us security. we have bought a lot of second hand stuff and it was tough in the first four months. We have moved back to the same area and love it. I have experienced home sickness but not with the intensity I had before and I feel very lucky to have had this second chance- I feel like the uk is still easily accessible and I don't have great yearnings to get back although i will - i just like being here more right now. When i got on the first flight back it felt right although i still felt sad at leaving. i must admit to still feeling in transition a bit but feel I have a better appreciation of what is on offer.

As I was driving to work this morning, the sun was breaking through and there was low lying mist in the fields along the freeway, got into Perth and opened the window as I was driving along the Swan and I could hear the most beautiful bird song. By mid day it was 25 degrees and just lovely. Got my first lemons growing on my lemon tree. Last night was at an oyster bar listening to pink floyd being played live on acoustic, not crowded, very chilled - this has been a good move for us this time.

Good luck with your move proview

hi we have been back just over a year-it was tough at first as we did it on a wing and prayer financially although I had managed to secure work before I left the uk which gave us security. we have bought a lot of second hand stuff and it was tough in the first four months. We have moved back to the same area and love it. I have experienced home sickness but not with the intensity I had before and I feel very lucky to have had this second chance- I feel like the uk is still easily accessible and I don't have great yearnings to get back although i will - i just like being here more right now. When i got on the first flight back it felt right although i still felt sad at leaving. i must admit to still feeling in transition a bit but feel I have a better appreciation of what is on offer.

As I was driving to work this morning, the sun was breaking through and there was low lying mist in the fields along the freeway, got into Perth and opened the window as I was driving along the Swan and I could hear the most beautiful bird song. By mid day it was 25 degrees and just lovely. Got my first lemons growing on my lemon tree. Last night was at an oyster bar listening to pink floyd being played live on acoustic, not crowded, very chilled - this has been a good move for us this time.

Good luck with your move proview

Love the way you wrote it down. I hope I'll experience it the same way as well within the next 12 - 18 months if/when we go back :cute:

Well had the house valued today, so decided to put it on the market next month! The plan is to be there by jan 15 for the start of the school year!

Eeek exciting!! Good luck with everything :-) where in Aus are you heading to?

Back to Brisbane!! We lived there for 8 years and I got homesick!! (Stupid girl) anyway I now see the error of my ways and we are getting giddy about going home!!! At least this time we know people and it will feel like home! :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
I'm a ping pong it's not easy I will be back in Oz in a matter of weeks

Thats the problem...for how long, a lot of people get back and realize they were better off in the UK...for me it was a better quality of life for me in stratford than northbridge and less crime.

The problem is that we need to adopt a more buddhist approach and not to expect a place or 'things' to give us contentment or fulfillment. People keep moving back and forth and not finding this, and then wondering why. I've learned this the hard way. There's no shame in ping ponging- you end up loving both places and wishing you could merge all the good bits into one- that's never going to happen, nor is Australia suddenly going to move location. I'm also pretty sure that unless you are lucky enough to live in a peaceful, untouched community somewhere, there's always going to be the same old issues living in a society- crime, poverty, drugs, etc etc- both places i have seen terrible aspects of society. both places I have seen some lovely aspects of humanity and society. both places i've lived through extreme weather- fires, floods, storms etc. Both places I've been poor, on the breadline and at other times had money. Life is just life. utopia only exists in the mind. Feel very lucky to have both passports and freedom to travel. One place can be right for you for a period of life, and then the other place fits more at a different time. Kids, parents, jobs- these needs change over time. I'm looking forward to spending my parent's older age with them. Will probably return to oz after that. just an adventure and am very lucky to be able to do this. good luck!

Archived