pingpong poms?

Waitingawhile

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope I can reply in this topic saying we will ping pong in about 6 months from now. I am more reay rhan ever before to live in Perth again. I had to move back home to get this feeling.

Unforunately my OH hates the moving and although she LOVED Oz she currently says she doesn't want to go back. Very likely because she is afraid i want to move back home again. Which I can understand. She's very tired and sad from our move, almost in a depression. So i have to give her some rest now, and in six months time when she recovered I can bring it up again and hooefully she sees my passion and determination now (which I completely lacked before)

But man until then... I feel ****. I am soooo excited to go, but i can't share it with her... With nobody! :(

I think it can be a daunting process moving country. For me it worked out perfectly well the first time, unfortunately things happened which made us return, and that was very hard to deal with. Living in Australia was for us a great adventure and we loved the lifestyle here. I'm only now trying to get that back again the second time round but in some ways it is harder and in others it is easier.

Way I see it is if your happy ping pong ing then do it. Least you have the option and its good as when one economy goes down (Australia right now) the other seems to come up (UK now). It switches every 10 years I think.

Both places after the initial excitement of the move are nice enough on their own merits but are much the same in terms of working, paying bills etc..Australia more expensive for housing and goods, also less availability of goods compared to the UK but if you lived elsewhere then other places have much less choice and are just as expensive anyway.

Its sometimes easier to shake things up by coming here rather than getting out of a rut at home.

I would say there is much more opportunity in the UK to travel, jobs and pretty much anything else but life is more relaxed in Australia but it is changing fast.

It all depends on where you came from, South of the UK I think you are more likely to go home as you are used to a busier lifestyle. If your Scottish or from up north you are used to the space and a bit more hardship so you will find it easier

I am a ping pong ping ponger !! Went over initially not mentally prepared in 2010 and stayed for 6 months .. returned quickly as "things just not right" then 18/12 in UK and the urge to return just wouldnt go so off we went again .. 2011 , all settled and loving every minute of life over there .. didnt really suffer with homesickness as made so many lovely friends . Then shall we say "family issues " occured and we made a very on the spot decision and returned back !! God how we regret that decision !! I have a Husband , Daughter of 15 and son of 11 ... so we returned August 2013 .. i really want to return and husband does but he is so apprehensive regarding the job market .. he worries terribly ! The 15yr old is 50/50 .. wants to go back becuase as she saod we definatly did more as a family but is torn due to family here ... tough decisions ahead ! For now she is doing her GCSEs then a decision will be made next May/June !! By then we will have had to renew our PR visa - hope this doesnt prove to be difficult !

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We're not ping pongers, but have lived in a few countries over the years. My OH and I always seem to miss home, not home as in England or UK, but home as in the house that we have made home for that specific period in time. The house where our things are, the house where our dogs and kids are (sometimes). When we go on hols it's always good to get home. In each country that I've lived in I've made a visit to Australia while living there, It's the only place I have visited that when I leave I feel sad that I'm leaving rather than looking forward to getting home.. We move out to Qld in November and am looking forward to missing it when I go on my hols.. :)

congrats! Love Brisbane.

I'm a seasoned ping-ponger, now in Perth. After the initial relief at being back in Oz, I find I still have moments when I miss where I lived in the UK, and aspects of that life, but overall, prefer Oz. I wasn't prepared for those moments of nostalgia that seem to creep up out of nowhere but now have accepted them - when they arrive I just do a 'reality check' and ask myself overall, where do I prefer, and the answer so far is always Oz.

Coming back was easier than first time round, everything is familiar.

So good luck with the move. Perhaps expect to always miss a bit of the UK once you have settled.

Guest Guest98974

It's only a matter of time for me. After 9 years in Brisbane we came back to the UK almost 2 years ago. Wife is on a spouse visa and we will not apply for ILR for the UK. Been ok for 2 years but overall life was better in Oz. Sick of earning terrible money, and both employers treat staff with no respect or professionalism.

Maybe I am chasing the dollar, but life is a little easier when you have some excess cash left every month, which is impossible here. Open for Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney, and wherever I can find the best role will be our new base. Still have great contacts in Australia who regard my experience and work ethics as a positive and have offered to all they can to get me back in with their companies or affiliates. Have a family holiday in Devon in November so will be gone as soon as I can after this. See ya soon Australia.

Hi!

Ypu sound just like us!!!

after being back here a couple of years I realised it was a mistake being in the UK!

i work in the NHS so know all about terrible money and employers not having any respect for staff!!!

good luck and enjoy Devon

Anne xxx

Guest Guest98974
Hi!

Ypu sound just like us!!!

after being back here a couple of years I realised it was a mistake being in the UK!

i work in the NHS so know all about terrible money and employers not having any respect for staff!!!

good luck and enjoy Devon

Anne xxx

It really is a joke in regards to employers. Both myself and wife work in the travel industry. At one point in Oz I was managing our national ops (5 offices with 100 staff), yet that is counted for nothing here and employed at a basic level with basic salary. My wife is worse as she is now on her third temp contract (over a year) with the same employer (15 years experience in her field) yet paid a tad over £7 per hour and treated like a dog. Issue is there are not a lot of jobs going around, so they know if folk leave they are easily replaced.

Cant wait for some decent working standards to return, and the ability to sit outside cooking my dinner on a BBQ when I want, with a glass of red.

Good luck to all the returnees, and let's put it down to experience!

• 4 weeks later...

We've gone from UK to NZ to Oz to NZ back to Oz and now contemplating a move back to the UK. I think the second time to Oz was more of a pragmatic move and less adventure, but we had two kids by then and we were just happy to be getting out of Christchurch. We've enjoyed Melbourne second time around but not sure it's where we want to stay and OH quite likes the idea of the kids doing high school in England.

Archived