Let me get this right (a rant sorry)...

Guest charle1980

Guest charle1980

Hi everyone,

Sorry to appear grumpy but I feel that I need a little rant.

Why do we have so many hoops to jump through (and have to pay for the privelege)?

If I have got this right, in order to qualify for our visa we have to:

Take a test to prove we have a good grasp of the English language - even though we are both English, born and raised, studied English all of our academic life and have a qualification to prove so?

My husband is a qualified electrician, has all his certificates and references with 12 years experience as well as recent additional training - he has to not only provide proof of all of this (understandable) but also has to prove this through assessement. Following which he still can't work as an electrian (even though there is an apparent skills shortage for this - although no actual jobs available) until after a year of gap training? Again I can understand that things are different in Oz so some training required but why drum up all the interest due to skills shortage when it really isn't as easy as getting a Visa and moving out there? Plus, how many ways does he need to prove he is an actual electrician?

Don't get me wrong I can absolutely understand why Australia might not want to let everyone whose anyone in, but the hoops are crazy and seem pointless IMO. I am really sore about the IELTS! It just seems so ridiculous.

However, we are still keen to see what a new life in Australia can offer our family so will play ball and jump through the above hoops. I guess I just wanted a little rant.

:)

I guess its Australia's way of trying to keep their population 'managable' along with whittling those out who can talk the talk rather than walk the walk. We didnt do IELTS and due to hubbys not so great reading and writing skills im not sure we would have passed it if we'd had to,lol..

The trade licencing , once your here (especially QLD) i agree is a bit of a joke.IMO Plumbers and electricians have it the hardest out of all the trades. Fair enough check the migrant has the appropiate skills , even sit a test to check they can do the job ,but repeating pretty much everything, going to college etc etc i dont think is fair.

Cal x

There's no easy answer to that one. The only thing I can say is that if it was really easy to get out here then everyone would do it and it wouldn't be the place it is. My hubby was a builder in the UK for 20 years when we came out here (we came on my qualification as a teacher) and to get his licence he still had to go to TAFE (like a further education college) which cost another $3000. He was supposed to do two days a week for a full year to prove himself but after one and a half weeks they signed him off and he got his licence - a money making exercise if ever I heard one. As a teacher, I had to have my qualifications assessed for the visa and then once I was here I had to do it all again for the education department (plus attend a 3 day course, work for two weeks - unpaid - in a school whilst being observed and have an interview) to earn the right to teach in NSW. All a big pain in the butt but after 5 years we are well and truly out the other side and would never go back to the UK. Love it here :) It's definitely worth it.

there are certain parts of the world where you can pick up the papers needed for a basic entry into a soft country (read u.k.) for a couple of thousand, rightly Australia want to do their best to whittle these people out.

also in the uk you can just rock up, even the forms in the social security office are in all languages to help the little darlings claim a chunk of my national insurance contributions.

australia seem to have a different idea, 'if you want to come, you will pay the guys wages who checks your papers' dont like it... dont come.'

personally as much as i didnt like forking out thousands, with a little analysis, its one of the reasons we left uk plc. the place is knackered, australia seem to have a better grasp on things, there are still issues, i mean no where is perfect, but in comparison, i feel its a much better system.

I feel your pain. I have been lucky and am going on a spouse visa which has a lot fewer hoops to jump through, but that has been a long and stressfull enough process for me! Lets hope it is all worth it on the other side (this time three weeks for me eeeeeeek!)

I am really sore about the IELTS! It just seems so ridiculous.

:)

There are plenty of people (including a few on here) who (just like you) are english, went to school in England and have english qualifications BUT they can barely string a coherent sentence together and have non-existent spelling and grammar skills.

As your english skills are good then you should have no trouble with IELTS and they'll be the easiest points you'll earn, won't they?

There are plenty of people (including a few on here) who (just like you) are english, went to school in England and have english qualifications BUT they can barely string a coherent sentence together and have non-existent spelling and grammar skills.

As your english skills are good then you should have no trouble with IELTS and they'll be the easiest points you'll earn, won't they?

a certain scottish fella?

(just kiddin :wink:)

I'm jumping through hoops at the moment with my application. Especially with the amount of evidence we need to prove we are a couple.I also think IELTS is pretty daft seen as my first language is English. Why should we need to sit the same test as someone who's first language isn't English?

And then I just tell myself, I wish Britain was as hard to get in to as Oz, and this is the reason why Oz isn't as f***ed up as Britain.

I dont think being a top reader or writer should really matter at all unless your migrating as a teacher or similar.

Hubby is a prime example of a very skilled man who earns enough for a family of 4 to survive on, has built a good little business here from scratch,teaches some of the qualified Aussies his trade, yet isnt great at reading or writing/spelling. Infact he wouldnt even qualify for a skilled PR visa if we were to apply now due to lack of paperwork,lol (when he was training ,it was hands on, not college).

Cal x

If it makes you feel any better I am currently studying for my Life in the UK test - Have you seen the questions on that? I take it into work and ask people who have lived here their whole life and they don't even know most of the answers lol ( I am aussie my hubby english, we are moving back to Aus but I have decided to get my citizenship for the UK so that we can return if need be)

Hmm....extra training for UK tradies? Had a mate who worked in SA govt licencing dept for gas fitters, plumbers, and electricians. She used to tell me it was ridiculous to send the UK & Irish tradies on extra training as they were usually better trained than the aussies....

Money for everything in OZ. Even need a bit of paper to work behind a bar!

If it makes you feel any better I am currently studying for my Life in the UK test - Have you seen the questions on that? I take it into work and ask people who have lived here their whole life and they don't even know most of the answers lol ( I am aussie my hubby english, we are moving back to Aus but I have decided to get my citizenship for the UK so that we can return if need be)

It's true, the UK citizenship test is way way harder than the Aussie one. Immigration laws aren't really any softer either, except for EU citizens (as you would expect), contrary to popular belief/received wisdom

Guest guest68109

You not grumpy at all. Three years ago when we moved I sat the yeast in the uk for the visa ( and passed the test of course with top scores) and when I got to Australia was told to register as a nurse I had to the academic test not the general one. I had to pay for and sit the test again. Having sat both I could not see the difference in both tests. Blood carry on....and yes my degree from a English speaking University.

Hi everyone,

Sorry to appear grumpy but I feel that I need a little rant.

Why do we have so many hoops to jump through (and have to pay for the privelege)?

If I have got this right, in order to qualify for our visa we have to:

Take a test to prove we have a good grasp of the English language - even though we are both English, born and raised, studied English all of our academic life and have a qualification to prove so?

I'm jumping through hoops at the moment with my application. Especially with the amount of evidence we need to prove we are a couple.I also think IELTS is pretty daft seen as my first language is English. Why should we need to sit the same test as someone who's first language isn't English?

I think you are both misunderstanding something. There is no requirement whatsoever for you to take IELTS, your passport is sufficient for DIAC. So don't do the test and get your points score up another way. I believe a phd is worth 20 points, how about taking one of those? :wink:

Frankly points for IELTS is a gift to native speakers. Try looking on the bright side, there is no point getting would up about things like this, it isn't productive.

Guest charle1980

Thanks to everyone for their responses, I feel much better getting it off my chest. I do understand the reason for all the hoops just some of them seem a little pointless. Plus, I didn't realise that my husband wouldn't necessarily *have* to take the test (thanks for that Rupert) - is there a way we can check points for him? Is it 120 for a skilled independent?

If he does need to take the test then I am going to do as someone suggested and see it as a gift! Thank you for the very sound advice.

It's not all raindrops on roses is it? :)

a certain scottish fella?

(just kiddin :wink:)

Not just him. I've seen a lot of posts on here recently, sometimes new people joining and it's like reading a text message. Full of 2's, @'s, etc. I hate to think what would happen if they had to write a letter or apply for a job or something.

[quote=Stum85;1936088786I also think IELTS is pretty daft seen as my first language is English. Why should we need to sit the same test as someone who's first language isn't English?

You mean...yours should be more difficult? :wink:

And, with predictable regularity, proclaim how much better the English education is. :eek:

It's good for a giggle...but rather sad.

i have got another 3 years of university (already done 2 years at college to get to uni) and 2/3 years post grad experience to get through before i can even begin applying for my visa but i wouldn't have it any other way, good things are worth striving for! or no pain no gain as the old saying goes. good luck with it all :)

Archived