cost of living

devon67

hi,

just a few pointers to those who are moving out

white goods - very expensive, we will be looking in the $4K for fridge/freezer, washing machine, TV,

mattresses are very expensive to

bed frames and sofas are similar price to UK

basic stuff you can get at Kmart like kettles, plates, cups, bedding etc its like a mini ikea

so check to see about shipping them over if relatively new

cars - we have had to shop around and settle for a wee holden spark only 1.2 but 2010 and 27000km on the odo for $10k

we plan to keep it for 6 months till we can get a loan and purchase a new car and trade the little one in

if you bring your own car out make sure you can get it repaired cheap, theres alot of makes that arent here in Oz

insurance is expensive too for the above car is about $330 thats fully comp, but we also have RACV and 1 years manufacture warranty so if it blows up we get it fixed, so just be careful and shop around for a good deal

be careful about buying second hand cars as you can easily spend over $15K

bring over plenty of money, it isnt cheap here

hope this helps some people

i am curious for some other

are you currently rent house or buy? what is the market for both rent / buy?

how about car park? what is the hourly rate in the city or surrounding?

how about personal health insurance fee?

we will be renting at approx $250 per week

not working in the city..too busy and smelly no thanks

we are out in the country

on permanent visa so get medicare..but still have to pay

Guest lisa crowe

Bring plenty of money?!?!?! Rubbish!!!...We bought $3k and on a wage of $1012 a week have furnished a 4 bed roomed house, and bought a car with LPG for $1000...

If you want everything new then yes maybe, if your happy to buy second hand then you don't need tens of thousands to start up here.

There are some great things around if you look for them :)

Remember that here you can nearly always get some money knocked off the price, just ask them what the best price they can do it for, and then haggle some more. I agree that whitegoods and tvs have a wide range of price from really cheap to very expensive. When we came over we just bought cheap to get us up and running and then replaced things gradually once we bought a house and knew more about brands.

Agreed. The fancy electronic programmable versions will be expensive. If your happy with a basic version not electronic they are cheap.

Very happy with my washer,digital screen,plays some annoying tune when programme has finished...no issues.

sorry i started this thread im just trying to help others who are coming over, im now in oz so i think i just get on with it

Hi Devon67 - it is good that you post things as you find them as it will be informative for those still on their visa journey. However, there are many other cheaper ways of setting up here than buying new products and other PIO members were just commenting with that in mind. Keep posting as your views are as valuable as everyone elses.

Hi Devon..I can see how you could spend 4k, we spent a couple of grand on washer/fridge freezer from seconds world..new but damaged boxes etc. we did not want to buy second hand stuff for our white goods, trying to set up a nice home, and didn't sell our new stuff in UK to buy second hand here. You can do it for cheaper, but I can get pricey if you don't.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Devon..I can see how you could spend 4k, we spent a couple of grand on washer/fridge freezer from seconds world..new but damaged boxes etc. we did not want to buy second hand stuff for our white goods, trying to set up a nice home, and didn't sell our new stuff in UK to buy second hand here. You can do it for cheaper, but I can get pricey if you don't.

Wow $2,000 on a 2nd hand washer and fridge freezer you can buy a brand new washer for $499 http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/prospect/Laundry and a fridge/freezer for $429 http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/prospect/Fridges_&_Freezers

You can get much cheaper white goods than the OP quoted.

Our drier was less than $300, chest freezer $300 both new (but seconds)

appliances online are good and you can bargain at places and buy cheaper if you shop around.

You can get washing machines from $400, fridge freezers from $700 and dishwashers from $400.

Cannot remember the price of our fridge but its a huge fridge freezer, much bigger than we had in the UK.

I think from other posts its established you can buy cheaper be it new or second hand BUT when you first arrive and are still thinking about GBP, added to the fact you havent a clue where to go for the best deals, it can cost a fair whack. When we arrived pretty much all our electrical stuff came from Retrovision, we now know we can buy similar items way cheaper elsewhere. Migrating is a learning curve and it takes time to learn where to go for what and who has the cheapest prices for ertain services (gas, elec etc).

Also, its good to remember that your first few months will be hard on your pocket. You arrive in a brand new country and need to register and pay for lots of stuff, be it a driving licence or 'deposit' for an electric connection.. It all adds up and can sometimes feel like your just shelling cash out day after day..

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen
Not sure where it says I bought them second hand?? I bought them new.

Sorry you said seconds world, so I presumed seconds my bad.

At the end of the day though people can buy things cheaper if they are on a tight budget and I think that's what those waiting to come out need to know. The price quoted of $4k on the OP are what he chose to pay for the items, use forums like this to find the latest bargains on things. I remember when we first arrived I got $1000 knocked off all our bedroom furniture we bought by keep bargaining. The last good bargain I had was buying a $900 TV, a vacumn at $700 and a sat nav at $450, I ended up getting $400 off the total price, he first offered me $50 off and I kept pushing and pushing, I think he have in just to get rid of me. When we go to buy any electrical things the family disown me when it comes to bartering.

Archived