cost of living

devon67

I leave most of the bargaining to my wife but, when pressed, can enter into the spirit of things. I think the minimum discount we've had on white goods/appliances was about 10% (on something already on sale) with some things coming in as much as 30% off the advertised price.

Frankly, with the exception of some premium European brands, we've found appliances here to be no more expensive than the UK and often cheaper after bargaining.

I've found that you can get good quality stuff at a great price at Harvey Norman WHEN THEY HAVE A SALE.

Went all over the place when we were setting up to get the best deal. At the time HN had a sale on. We ended up getting all our white goods there (and TV's, suround sound etc) as like for like goods were considerably cheaper there than at any of the competition (in some cases by $300) or else for the same cash we could spend with a competitor we could upgrade the item to a better spec if we bough from HN.

Sorry you said seconds world, so I presumed seconds my bad.

At the end of the day though people can buy things cheaper if they are on a tight budget and I think that's what those waiting to come out need to know. The price quoted of $4k on the OP are what he chose to pay for the items, use forums like this to find the latest bargains on things. I remember when we first arrived I got $1000 knocked off all our bedroom furniture we bought by keep bargaining. The last good bargain I had was buying a $900 TV, a vacumn at $700 and a sat nav at $450, I ended up getting $400 off the total price, he first offered me $50 off and I kept pushing and pushing, I think he have in just to get rid of me. When we go to buy any electrical things the family disown me when it comes to bartering.

:eek: $700 for a vac ? I want to see it- does it bring you breakfast in bed too ? :unsure:

I think white goods are cheap, however coming with pounds they will appear to be dearer I suppose. Its not that they are dearer its just the exchange rate at the present time.

There are white goods for all budgets even without bargaining the prices can be very cheap four hundred to two thousand for a dishwasher same with other white goods. They have to be cheap because our dollar buys a whole lot more these days, so importers are doing very well.

Masters has a good range of white goods, or grey goods as they now seem to be and they are not expensive either. You can get a white two door fridge for about fourteen hundred dollars.

Also if you get the trading post you can pick up some bargains where people just change them because they can.

Renovating a kitchen you can buy a whole kitchen in the trading post with appliances as the more well heeled update.

sorry i started this thread im just trying to help others who are coming over, im now in oz so i think i just get on with it

It could be pretty scary to newbies if they think they need to spend $4k on a few white good though.

We were not budgeting or looking for bargains and defintiely not buying second hand, but I still cannot fathom why there is any need to spend money like this on a few appliances.

I bought on the high street and didn't need to shop around to get very reasonable prices for our goods.

Its understandable people running out and paying silly money for items. The big upheaval of moving their family and themselves across the other side of the world has most peoples head spinning.

Alot of these items most familiies cant or wont do without for even a short period of time,so they end up running to the high street and paying the big prices.

You can purchase pretty cheap as long as you have time to shop around and find the cheap spots.

Most of us have learnt the hard way when it comes to purchasing goods.

Taking this slightly OT, we've just invested in an iRobot "Roomba" robot vacuum cleaner and it does the best job of getting dog hair off our carpets that I've ever seen. It's also fun to watch it wander around the room--apparently randomly but it always seems to get everywhere.

Id love a dyson, especially now having 2 dogs lazying around the house, but they are expensive over here so funds wont allow it at the minute.

Cal x

Worth it though cos prior to my Dyson days (circa 2006) I was going through vacuums every couple of years.... What about on yer Chrissie pres list????

Guest The Pom Queen
LOL, Hubby suggested that the other day when i mentioned one and i kindly told him if he bought me one as my xmas pressie, it would be shoved where the sun doesnt shine !! lol

Cal x

I bought ours as a Christmas present for Rob

I bought ours as a Christmas present for Rob

This is true, I had to ask for several years before I got one, but eventually DOH caved in and bought me one of these bad boys.:biggrin:

Lean, mean dust-busting machine. Just looking at it makes me want to grab it and go and do some vigorous vacc'ing.:yes::laugh:

dyson1.jpg

Probably a Dyson..... Best $700 I ever spent on household appliances was on a Dyson. If you have messy kids or continually moulting pets - it has to be the only way to go!

Ever see the episode of Royle Family where the wife wanted a dyson for Christmas?? Hilarious. Their house reminds me of quite a few of my relations I've been in, especially round Christmas.

It is as expensive as you make it here. TV's are much better value than the UK. If you have modern flat screens in the UK bring them out, they will work, all of mine pick up freeview no problem. We have always had a policy (even in the UK) of not buying expensive white goods (you are paying for a name) you dont need 25 programs on a washing machine (ask your Mrs!) We have a big double door fridge freezer $900 but you can buy UK size over here for $400. Shop around and don't pay the displayed price.

The cost of living here is more than the UK, but you can afford to live here. Farmers markets are all over and cheap, petrol is about 1 pound per litre.

Don't be put off, just shop around. There are many Australians managing on modest wages!

• 1 month later...

We bought a queen bed, dining table 4 chairs, 32" tv and cabinet, fridge and washing machine for $1500 new in Ikea/Good guys/JBHiFi. Snagged a $250 corner sofa on gumtree. Then another say 250/300 for home essentials (bedding/towels/kettles/hoover/utensils). That's the $2k mark. If we had transport I could have bought more 2nd hand and shaved another $700 off that. Our fridge/washing machines (400/220) were among the cheapest and work perfectly fine. I think 4k would be nearer the mark if I shopped at Peter Jones/Myers instead of Big W/Target/Kmart/Reject shop. A dryer/dishwasher was already part of the rental here - nothing else and we've started from scratch.

My freight has arrived from London now after 2 months here in Sydney but these were mainly clothes, pots and pans, more bedding and non essentials (PS3, AV amp, my 50" tv that was easier to bring than sell).

Mainly you can find big stuff that is comparable to the UK, its the Supermarkets that will kill you, they are a bit crap and very expensive compared to the UK. $8 for a frozen Pizza makes no sense when Dominos sell them for less!

Archived