The truth about how expensive Perth is!!

Guest Perthprincess

People like different drinks and have differing tastes, I can't stand beer, I like lager, a bit, I love wine, but not that dry acidic stuff, I like a hock type or Liebframilch and luckily enough in Oz they sell it by the bucket load at least half the price it costs in the UK. YEAH BABY!!!!!!

I always wondered who buys that sweet stuff................have you tried Blue Nun ??:laugh:

For us it's a nice dry French Muscadet but I guess we will have to go for Sauvignon Blanc or a nice oaky Chardonnay....or basically any nice full bodied red !

Looking on Coles they have dry whites around $7 or $8 but not many so not that cheap compared to the UK supermarkets !

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest17301

Sorry Kev, it was you who introduced the Hoff to the joys of the goon bag wasnt it! And yes it is that cheap PB, why would you even doubt it....wine is definitely cheaper here.....

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I only drink wine in Australia as even after nearly 5 years on mine sites i cant tollerate Oz beer and i have yet to see wine in Oz that is cheaper than the UK. Likewise cider and spirits

You can't be looking hard enough, we found plenty of 4 and 5 litre boxes at least half the price to the UK when we were there, kev's wife drank a Red wine in a 5 litre box for less than $15. If you want it in a bottle, we found one bottle cost more than a 5 litre box, why I don't know, seemed crazy to me, some people say the 5 litre cheap boxes aren't nice, we loved it, kev's wife loved it, my wife's cousin loved it, but everyone's tastes are different.

Guest JemGerrard

Had my Perth based brother in law over in teh UK - he went to Teco and bought a four pack of bulmers cider - around 5 quid here. He reckoned it would be $30 dollars in Perth! Is that right - I'm about to find out anyway!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Sorry Kev, it was you who introduced the Hoff to the joys of the goon bag wasnt it! And yes it is that cheap PB, why would you even doubt it....wine is definitely cheaper here.....

It was kev who introduced us to it, lol. we found it in Perth on our first visit and we met kev and his lovely wife in Brisbane some years later, but it was still cheap even though the exchange rate had dropped.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Had my Perth based brother in law over in teh UK - he went to Teco and bought a four pack of bulmers cider - around 5 quid here. He reckoned it would be $30 dollars in Perth! Is that right - I'm about to find out anyway!

We found beer and spirits to be really dear, I assume cider is the same. Wine for us, we can drink more and save money, lol.

You can't be looking hard enough, we found plenty of 4 and 5 litre boxes at least half the price to the UK when we were there, kev's wife drank a Red wine in a 5 litre box for less than $15. If you want it in a bottle, we found one bottle cost more than a 5 litre box, why I don't know, seemed crazy to me, some people say the 5 litre cheap boxes aren't nice, we loved it, kev's wife loved it, my wife's cousin loved it, but everyone's tastes are different.

Lucky you for liking the cheap stuff Hoff..............my recent travels to France found the boxes of cheap stuff more expensive than the bottles of nice stuff, don't get that !

I'd best get used to paying more for our wine......................at least (randomly) chicken breasts are cheaper about $4 against £4 for the same weight pack.......... !!

You can get cheap wine in boxes in the UK as well....I'd be surprised if it's ore expensive than here, and certainly claims of twice the price??? No chance

I'm not an expert as that's not my bag (no pun intended)

so judging by this thread when i arrive in perth in september, i need to buy a pair of cheap jeans (my ass looks great in anything) a box of wine, bottle of lemonade and drown my sorrows for moving to the most expensive place in the world?:cry:

in fairness it does seem expensive but hey this is the price you pay for an adventure. i maybe cant afford to go on my own arctic expedition but im sure i can afford to live in in oz. gutted about the box of wine though im fairly partial to some nice single barrel jack daniels

True, I thought the cheap 5 litre boxes tasted bloody minging.

well said, I'm still in the u.k at the moment working as a panel beater and lucky to break £20k a year. now going through the process of getting a 176 visa and Perth employers are already offering me work paying from $80 to $120k depending on bonus and overtime.

Just make sure that what they quote doesn't include the employer's compulsory superann contributions as if it did, your net would be a lot lower...................lots of folk get caught out on that IME. They quote it as a "salary package"................not illegal, but certainly misleading.

True, I thought the cheap 5 litre boxes tasted bloody minging.

Dodgy's tip for drinking cheap wine..............firstly open bottle unscrew/uncork...........let bottle stand for a few minutes...................pour a generous glass of said wine.............................take a big swig of malt / white vinegar or pickled onion vinegar....................then taste said wine and it will taste like the best wine money can buy. :biglaugh:

Not for 4 bottles

BULMERS ORIG BTL 500ML 12PK

[TABLE=class: prices]

[TR]

[TD=class: radio][/TD]

[TD=class: label]Unit Price:

[/TD]

[TD=class: price]$44.99 each

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: radio][/TD]

[TD=class: label]Carton of 2:

[/TD]

[TD=class: price]$43.99 each (total $87.98)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So a 12 pack at $44.99 is about $3.75 per bottle and $15 for 4 bottles - the poster had said their brother had bought 4 bottles for 5 GPB and that it would cost $30 in Perth - so he's in luck he'll be able to get 8 bottles at the prices you've quoted.

Cheers for that PB

I don't agree the houses are bigger. From what I've seen they are smaller, certainly smaller than what we're used to in Ireland. They are open plan which means you cook, eat and live in the same room. Some have an extra family room but many are small.

I think the houses around Perth are definitely bigger than the UK. When we moved into our pretty standard 4 x2 I can remember saying to my missus something silly like "I won't have to go out for a run anymore, just run round the house". Admittedly now we've been in it for years we think it's quite small compared to a lot of our friends.

When we went back on holiday a few years ago I thought the rooms in my in-laws house were tiny. Before we emigrated I thought it was a huge house. It's an old farmhouse 3 stories with a big cellar. The top bedroom is quite big but even the front room and kitchen/living room felt tiny.

It's so tough trying to compare houses. I don't agree that they are all a lower standard of build, most houses in Perth are double brick, so cavity wall and a tile roof. Colourbond is becoming popular. They are expensive but we don't feel any richer for it. We bought ours for $135,000 in 92 and we've seen it go as high as about $800,000. It's dropped back now to maybe $700,000, not had it valued as we've no intention of moving. You can still get a 4x2 in a decent suburb (I just had a quick look at Beldon which is OK and near the beach) for around $420,000 for one that needs a bit of work. Still a big house on a big plot though. You can get a 3x1 semi detached for around $350,000 in the same suburb,

Well ok stevief8, but that is probably taking in the greater dublin area. I'm speaking from personal experience, if I were to arrive in Galway now, where we lived, and wanted to rent a house, I could expect 4 or 5 bedrooms, 2 family rooms, a large kitchen/diner on half an acre of land. It would cost about 700 euros a month. As it is I'm in a shoebox here and finding anything big enough is proving difficult in the area we're living in. Perhaps I should have been clear about speaking from my own experiences...

What area could you compare Galway in Ireland with in Aus? Have a look their and you would get your comparison. I know we came from a built up area outside Stockport where the main houses were terraced with no garage, everyone parked on the street leading to cars parked either side of the road with a single track down the middle. We moved from an end terrace (luxury). The next step up for us would have been a 3 bed semi but we would have still been paying the mortgage now. The only place I can think of that is remotely close to having terraces is new builds in Joondalup. They seem popular too. Can't for the life of me see why anyone would choose a terrace over even a small detached.

Guest Carolinejean

Hi, you have me alongside with you! We too came out 3 years ago, my husband was on lower money and things were tight so we have come out this time and he s on much more money so we were confident we would have a good life this time - how foolish were we!

We are finding it so hard here in Perth, our food shop is a joke, we used to buy an Indian meal for 2 from tesco for £3.50 and bought ready made curry from woolworths and paid $10 each, we bought 4 and 2 packets of microwave rice for $3 a bag ( normally 50p!) my total for this meal with 4 nan breads (also 50p at home for 2) was $56 - hat a joke! Have seen price of Helmans mayo too?! Argh! We thought we would be so much better off here but in fact we were better off financially in the UK!

Archived