The truth about how expensive Perth is!!

Guest Perthprincess

End of the day it is all relative. Australia is indeed more expensive than the UK for many many things. In some cases, significantly more expensive. What one should focus on is not the direct comparison of the prices of goods in UK an Oz but more on your earning potential. For example, in my case as a civil engineer, my earning capacity is about three times what I was was on in the UK so despite a higher cost of living, I can have a MUCH better standard of living in Australia.

If you are going out there for the same kind of money as u were on in the UK then u will find things expensive, no doubt about it.

Gav

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest AKA63029
people who like to wear decent jeans and a bit of street cred.

Once over 45 mate all 'Street Cred' goes out of the window, you're just thankful that you can still get out of bed without breaking a bone.:laugh:

Well all this sounds like the UK to me, food prices climbing through the supermarket roof and the smaller "corner shop"/garage chains charging silly money.

Yes we have a better choice here and more BOGOF deals etc.

Mortgage repayments will be higher as the interest rates are higher but you get a bigger house for the same money even for those of us coming from the South East of England !

And there is no way we could rent a house like ours for less than our mortgage payment here whereas in Perth ...................!!!!

Yes, I'm not even a newbie yet but I research A LOT and don't see much difference other than range of choice.................now shoot me down ! :laugh:

Well all this sounds like the UK to me, food prices climbing through the supermarket roof and the smaller "corner shop"/garage chains charging silly money.

Yes we have a better choice here and more BOGOF deals etc.

Mortgage repayments will be higher as the interest rates are higher but you get a bigger house for the same money even for those of us coming from the South East of England !

And there is no way we could rent a house like ours for less than our mortgage payment here whereas in Perth ...................!!!!

Yes, I'm not even a newbie yet but I research A LOT and don't see much difference other than range of choice.................now shoot me down ! :laugh:

you cant get a bigger better house for less money , if you want to live in a very good area or near the sea you will pay more plus they are built to a poor standard compared to the uk and they are no much bigger from what i have worked on in perth.

Edited by Perthbum

I don't agree the houses are bigger. From what I've seen they are smaller, certainly smaller than what we're used to in Ireland. They are open plan which means you cook, eat and live in the same room. Some have an extra family room but many are small.

Guest The Pom Queen
people who like to wear decent jeans and a bit of street cred.

I'm sorry but I have never bought designer and have always bought from the cheap clothes shops. Not everyone can afford to pay for labels. Thankfully my kids are the same, although I do try and get them to buy a few designer stuff but they have no interest.

I'm sorry but I have never bought designer and have always bought from the cheap clothes shops. Not everyone can afford to pay for labels. Thankfully my kids are the same, although I do try and get them to buy a few designer stuff but they have no interest.

yep....but target jeans gal....come on.

I don't agree the houses are bigger. From what I've seen they are smaller, certainly smaller than what we're used to in Ireland. They are open plan which means you cook, eat and live in the same room. Some have an extra family room but many are small.

Are you talking about the average size of new Irish and Australian houses?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
new australian houses are packed in like sardine cans, i have worked on them.

They still are built on land two or three times the land UK houses are built on and the average sized Australian house is three times bigger than the average UK house.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
They are not hoff, the gardens are like postage stamps on most new builds in perth.

Most houses are detached and they might not be built on as bigger plots these days, but they ARE MASSIVE in comparison to the UK.

you cant get a bigger better house for less money , if you want to live in a very good area or near the sea you will pay more plus they are built to a poor standard compared to the uk and they are no much bigger from what i have worked on in perth.

Our current house has an open plan kitchen/dining/family area (we designed and built it like that) and love it, plus the seperate lounge (theatre), playroom/study, utility and WC and then upstairs 4 double sized bedrooms, one ensuite and a main bathroom. All this is in 164sq.m and we hope to sell at just under £300k so even at the exchange rate that is $450k which gets a 200+ sq.m house on a similar plot size to ours in an area 5 mins walk from the beach in SOR so I don't get your arguments (apart from the build standards - which we can overcome by getting it built to our standards) ?

And yes I accept we are going from 2 storey to 1 storey (I don't get why Oz 2 storeys cost SO much more than 1 ?)

Oh and BTW PB, have you seen any developer new builds in the UK recently ??......shocking quality as well as tiny !

Edited by Chardy

Well after reading what everyone spends on shopping anywhere from $200 to $1000 a week on shopping I was wondering what I was doing wrong with my spending as I spend I would say about $350 a week for 2 adults and 2 children who just seem to eat all the time lol.

So anyway I was telling DH last night over dinner about how some familys shop for about $200 for 4 and he said do you ever really have a good look in the cupboards??? Me what do you mean so he went through the house and he says as follows.

Do we really need to have 6 boxes of Bio Attack washing powder?

Do we really need to have 6 big bottles of Shower Gels?

Do we really need to have 5 Shampoos and 5 Conditioners?

Do I really need to have 5 Gels?? (gel is for DH)

Do we really need to have 4 big tubes of toothpaste and 4 kids toothpaste (for DS)

Do you really need to have 5 bottles of Nivea body cream

Do either of us need to have 4 lots each of Rexona

Do we really need to have 5 boxes of 224 Tissues

Do we really need to have 3x 24pk of sorbent toilet tissues

OMG that is just part of the Bathroom and Laudry, I think I have a problem lol

When I get the catalogues and they have things for half price, I kinda think well what if they are not half price again for ages!!!!

I won't even tell you about the Kitchen cupboards,fridge or the chest freezer, deary me

So I think maybe if I just bought what I needed (which I could'nt) I could get my shopping down to about $200-$230 maybe.

I just have to have back-ups for what I don't know lol

Ok the funniest one was having 3x 200pk Tetley All rounder Tea Bags

I will sort myself out I promise

Laney xx

Edited by Irishgirl1

Guest The Pom Queen
They are not hoff, the gardens are like postage stamps on most new builds in perth.

The land size is still large it's just that Aussies don't like maintaining gardens so they make the houses bigger.

Who wants to be out mowing the garden at 30+ degrees when you could be relaxing in the pool or sitting in the alfresco having a bbq

Thats why a lot of houses in Perth now have astro turf instead of grass, so they don't have to mow it at all