The truth about how expensive Perth is!!

Guest Perthprincess

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't agree the houses are bigger. From what I've seen they are smaller, certainly smaller than what we're used to in Ireland. They are open plan which means you cook, eat and live in the same room. Some have an extra family room but many are small.

The average Oz house is more than twice as big as the average Irish house...

0720_average01.jpg

0720_average01.jpg

Guest guest17301
Who wants to be out mowing the garden at 30+ degrees when you could be relaxing in the pool or sitting in the alfresco having a bbq

Thats why a lot of houses in Perth now have astro turf instead of grass, so they don't have to mow it at all

Astro turf!!! Why is astro turf even produced..if you want grass..have it..it you dont thats what paving and gravel are for...hate astroturf with a passion!!! Bloody awful stuff....

Guest guest17301
Yep....but in designer jeans :wink:

Pity the person who measures your street cred and worth by the brand of their jeans.....:daydreaming:

Well ok stevief8, but that is probably taking in the greater dublin area. I'm speaking from personal experience, if I were to arrive in Galway now, where we lived, and wanted to rent a house, I could expect 4 or 5 bedrooms, 2 family rooms, a large kitchen/diner on half an acre of land. It would cost about 700 euros a month. As it is I'm in a shoebox here and finding anything big enough is proving difficult in the area we're living in. Perhaps I should have been clear about speaking from my own experiences...

Guest The Pom Queen
Astro turf!!! Why is astro turf even produced..if you want grass..have it..it you dont thats what paving and gravel are for...hate astroturf with a passion!!! Bloody awful stuff....

It's used a lot in Melbourne because come summer you don't have grass as it all dies off and it becomes a dust bowl. We don't get that problem up here, not sure what Perth is like

Guest guest17301

Same here but it looks shocking imo....why bother, hate it with a passion. We tend to let ours go brownish and then it greens up soon as winter comes...keep it going with a few waterings a week. Astroturf burns your feet when its hot. Fake grass, its so plastic and cheap and urrrggghhhhhhhhh...can you tell I hate it yet?

Pity the person who measures your street cred and worth by the brand of their jeans.....:daydreaming:

HHHMMM its ok to pay over the top prices for designer jeans but apparently not OK to pay a bit more for a pint of beer.....So best dressed in Witherspoons it is then, :nah: Think I'll stick with Target jeans in a beautiful WA bar :tongue:

Guest guest17301
Pitied becaus I wont wear crap jeans?

No because you bag people who do and look down on them for their choice of atire. Clothing does not maketh the man. Whats inside his head and heart makes the man (or woman)

Our current house has an open plan kitchen/dining/family area (we designed and built it like that) and love it, plus the seperate lounge (theatre), playroom/study, utility and WC and then upstairs 4 double sized bedrooms, one ensuite and a main bathroom. All this is in 164sq.m and we hope to sell at just under £300k so even at the exchange rate that is $450k which gets a 200+ sq.m house on a similar plot size to ours in an area 5 mins walk from the beach in SOR so I don't get your arguments (apart from the build standards - which we can overcome by getting it built to our standards) ?

And yes I accept we are going from 2 storey to 1 storey (I don't get why Oz 2 storeys cost SO much more than 1 ?)

Over here in NSW it's because the standard timber framed external wall isn't man enough to take the weight of floor joists and the upper storey. So you have to beef everything up (eg you won't find many 140-150mm external studs here). I believe in WA there's a lot more masonry construction so don't know the excuse there

Oh and BTW PB, have you seen any developer new builds in the UK recently ??......shocking quality as well as tiny !

Still better quality than the average here I'm afraid. UK building regs are much tighter on the output in terms of structure, insulation, energy efficiency and electrics in particular. Building codes here focus too much IMO on the inputs (particularly the competence/licensing of the trades working on it, rather than what they deliver)

I agree with your other points though. And I'm not going to argue that houses here are smaller, they aren't. Totally with you on getting something built to your standards rather than the prevailing standard. There are good guys here and good materials so it's not impossible, it's just lots of developers/builders can get away with rubbish so they do. Search very hard for quality joinery esp windows in particular - they can be bought but are not common and you need to shop around. You should be OK with framing materials. There are a few kit/flatpack homes, I haven't looked at any of these so don't know if they're any good - as you and I know, the European equivalent of these can be superb, esp the German and Scandinavian examples. I'm not expecting stuff that good but have an open mind. If we build ultimately, as I'd like to, and I don't think the quality can be had here then I'd look at importing from those countries if that's possible. Shipping costs are probably not going to be that high set against the whole cost of the house. It shouldn't be necessary though, there is really good quality timber here available for a really good price, it's a question of getting it put together in the right way

The more standard build Aussie houses I see, the more strident I get in my opinions. A few months ago I was prepared to cut the domestic building industry here more slack as my experience wasn't wide enough, but as it broadens I get more confirmed in my first impressions tbh. I work for a company that invests in this stuff, it's not strictly my area at the moment but I keep volunteering to have a look at places because it's become a bit of a hobby (and hobby horse, fair enough ;-))

No because you bag people who do and look down on them for their choice of atire. Clothing does not maketh the man. Whats inside his head and heart makes the man (or woman)

Where did I ever say I look down on people who wear their choice of attire, I just said I would not wear $15 dollar target jeans.

Guest guest17301
who would wear jeans by target though....unless you are over 50.

people who like to wear decent jeans and a bit of street cred.

Here and here you implied that only older and uncool people wear target jeans

In order to save PB from being on his own here, I wouldn't buy Target jeans either. I don't care about labels but I do care about cut, finish and how long things last. I used to (until I was about 30) buy loads of gear in cheap shops but I realised I was replacing them all the time and seemed to get through stacks of clothes in the average year. These days I buy fewer but better. E.g, I have a jumper on tonight that I think cost me 70 or 80 quid but it was about 7 or 8 years ago - and it is still in perfect condition, almost as new. If I'd bought 20 quid jumpers I'd easily have gone through 4 of them in that time

Saying that, I was going to claim that I thought I wore much better quality stuff for the same annual spend but I've just added it up and it comes to about 2500 GBP a year (I was quite generous in some areas) so it probably isn't the case.

:embarrassed:

I do like nice stuff though. I'd rather drink one less beer a week and save $500 a year thereby, and buy a decent jacket instead

EDIT: OK, 2 less beers. My maths wasn't great! :D

Edited by northshorepom

Guest The Ropey HOFF
In order to save PB from being on his own here, I wouldn't buy Target jeans either. I don't care about labels but I do care about cut, finish and how long things last. I used to (until I was about 30) buy loads of gear in cheap shops but I realised I was replacing them all the time and seemed to get through stacks of clothes in the average year. These days I buy fewer but better. E.g, I have a jumper on tonight that I think cost me 70 or 80 quid but it was about 7 or 8 years ago - and it is still in perfect condition, almost as new. If I'd bought 20 quid jumpers I'd easily have gone through 4 of them in that time

Saying that, I was going to claim that I thought I wore much better quality stuff for the same annual spend but I've just added it up and it comes to about 2500 GBP a year (I was quite generous in some areas) so it probably isn't the case.

:embarrassed:

I do like nice stuff though. I'd rather drink one less beer a week and save $500 a year thereby, and buy a decent jacket instead

You could save a fortune if you change from drinking beer to wine, you could get 5 litres of gorgeous wine for half the price it cost in the UK, you could afford a full wardrobe of designer clothes with all the savings, Australia ...... Yer can save as yer drink, lol.

I actually find wine here to be a similar price or more expensive than at home!

eg - d'Arenberg Footbolt Shiraz, a decent bottle of Mclaren Vale stuff I've had from Dan's recently - $16-$18 in Aus, about 9 or 10 quid in the UK. So pretty much the same price

European wine is obviously cheaper in the UK (for obvious reasons) and I drink that too - probably 50/50 with Aussie stuff

Guest The Pom Queen
Clothing does not maketh the man. Whats inside his head and heart makes the man (or woman)

That's so true it's what's inside the pants that counts :wink: