Reasons to leave OZ

exiled in Wales

Guest TheArmChairDetective
i dont care , my opinion you got yours

Yes my opinion is "If you think so report it "

Anyway, shall we get back to the purpose of the thread?

Edited by TheArmChairDetective

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi exiled in Wales,

I think (and it seems to be backed up by the stats) that very few people return to the UK for negative reasons (e.g. they hate Australia!).

My wife and I came out here 12 years ago and had our son here (he's now 8). We have made the decision to return to the UK simply because we have "done" Australia and now we want to spend time back in the UK, especially while our son and his grandparents are all young enough to appreciate and get to know each other!

In my experience there are 3 types of people in the world :-

- Those that are totally satisfied with where they are and what they are doing. These are the people that stay in their home town and have no desire to move. I envy these people!

- Then there are those that want to experience new places and new ways of life. This is my wife and I. We are returning to the UK but will we stay there for good? We never say never and we never say forever either!

- Then there are those people that are not happy where they are but always come up with some reason not to move. There are plenty on this forum who talk about moving to Australia but "not now". I have lots of friends back home like that who always say how lucky I am living here but, when I ask them why they don't do it themselves, they come up with some (normally lame) excuse about why the time is not right and "may be they will one day". Some of them have simply left it too long and couldn't get a working visa now even if they wanted one.

I think those people in the last category will die with the most regrets. Sure, it doesn't always work out for those people that do come out here but you will never know if you don't try. I certainly would never class anyone who moves between countries as a "failure" whatever other poster say.

Do all the practical preparation that you can and then just go for it. And remember that nothing has to be forever.

You hit the nail on the head I think...and anyone who decries an individual for taking such a brave step in migrating to another country is not worth giving air time to. It should never be seen as a failure if it doesn't pan out the way you thought but I think this is an inherent part of the British pysche - we focus too much on the negative aspect instead of the positive. I hope all works out for you 'exiled in wales'. And thank you Sydneyhorn for the voice of reason :rolleyes:

Guest fallguy

If you are going to struggle to make a living/make ends meet, you may as well do it where your roots lie rather than the other side of the world where you dont have the same network. This is only my opinion (as my folks are not getting any younger & have some small issues) & feel it safe to say on behalf of both the English & the Aussies.

:jiggy:

To be honest, your "home" is in Australia, what you should say is your Migrating to the U.K :-)

Oddly enough though, allegedly there has been a 40% drop in Oz Migrant workers in the UK as they have all returned home because of the better wages and conditions.

It sure is a Topsy turvy world.

If it wasn't for WA it would be as bad as Europe, take WA away and the other half is in recession, a lot of mining projects are about to finish and many have been shelved .. It's coming and it's going to be messy, lots and lots with 100% mortgages here, we've been there before haven't we...

Sure have, some have been saying that on this forum for over 4 years now...................I'm still waiting for it to happen.

Guest fallguy

This is from the same Government that wants 25000 American skilled tradesmen to help the construction industry in Perth....believe me, work is very hit & miss here in Perth, I have numerous friends on short weeks and are not earning what they were 12 mnths ago. The very same government that gave Quantative easing/free roof insulation (that killed 7 installers) back in 2009/10 when Australia was not (in my opinion) being affected by the GFC....people only got worried when all this negative talk erupted from Canberra. I feel now is the time the Pollies should be helping the less fortunate...and what do they do....Stop subsidising the Power,Water & Gas companies and slap a bullshit carbon tax on it for good measure!! You need an effin'job here just to pay all your tax,licenses & speedcamera fines!!!:confused:

A group of one mate

Actually at least 2 as long as you don't have to live in the UK to qualify for gang membership :biggrin:

I think using the exchange rate to compare costs and convert salaries is just mathematically absurd. 2.2 is a much better guesstimate.

If it costs me 1% of my wage in Australia today to buy something and then the British pound halves in value the next day has my cost of living doubled in Australia the next day because of an unrelated country? Even when it still costs me 1% of my salary to buy the same thing.

What if the Chinese Yuan doubled in value against the Australian dollar the same day as the British pound halved. Have my costs of living doubled and halved on the same day? It simply makes no sense at all using the exchange rate....being angry has no affect on maths.

Edited by fish.01

There are a lot of people with rose tinted glasses on who are in for one massive shock when they land in Perth ...I earn over 100000 and struggle here ..

I don't think that's particularly helpful, or accurate. There are so many variables, it's near impossible to come up with a generic figure a migrant would need as an income. Variables might include the location you live, dependants to support, lifestyle you've become accustomed to, etc.

For me, $100k+ would be far more than I'd need, but then I'm a young-ish single migrant who accepts an element of building towards the life I want.

All this is obvious and I'm sure you know it already, but it can be worrying, not to mention misleading, to suggest that a 'lot of people will be shocked' and will struggle. Many people will also be just fine, and will recognise an uphill struggle as part of the joy of trying out life in a different part of the world. :)

I don't think that's particularly helpful, or accurate. There are so many variables, it's near impossible to come up with a generic figure a migrant would need as an income. Variables might include the location you live, dependants to support, lifestyle you've become accustomed to, etc.

For me, $100k+ would be far more than I'd need, but then I'm a young-ish single migrant who accepts an element of building towards the life I want.

All this is obvious and I'm sure you know it already, but it can be worrying, not to mention misleading, to suggest that a 'lot of people will be shocked' and will struggle. Many people will also be just fine, and will recognise an uphill struggle as part of the joy of trying out life in a different part of the world. :)

Ok then here in Perth a family turns up From the uk, your pay 550 a week rent 250 a week shopping 200 bills 100 petrol so that's 1100 with out looking to hard, so the minimum 100000 don't sound unrealistic now does it...? Then you need to live and enjoy yourself as you've come for a better life haven't we...? 500 bucks per person to leave the state via air... Again 100000 is not unrealistic is it...?

I didn't come here to 'live the dream', nor did I come for a better life. Come to think of it, I don't know WHY I came here. Maybe I wanted an adventure. Both times that I've 'emigrated' here, I gave up good and secure jobs, and then found it hard to get work here. Financially, I should have returned to the UK, but I didn't. This second (and last!?) time, I wanted to be closer to my brother, once my parents passed away.

There's bound to be other people here, who were better off financially and 'socially' in the UK, but most people just stay, create new lives, 'become' Aussies. Their children almost certainly do. My niece and nephew would probably 'die' rather than move to the UK or Italy.

It's a country of migrants and most of them face the same problems, leaving family on the other side of the world, starting new lives in alien surroundings. I've always felt guilty about splitting my family up, never seeing my grandmother again.

'C'est la vie!?'

Ok then here in Perth a family turns up From the uk, your pay 550 a week rent 250 a week shopping 200 bills 100 petrol so that's 1100 with out looking to hard, so the minimum 100000 don't sound unrealistic now does it...? Then you need to live and enjoy yourself as you've come for a better life haven't we...? 500 bucks per person to leave the state via air... Again 100000 is not unrealistic is it...?

Well of course, if you're going to make up a scenario like that out of thin air, you're going to appear to have a better argument. The trouble is, your example doesn't exist. The wage you've quoted isn't even minimum wage, so nobody is getting paid $550 a week. That would put one of the family on $28,600. It's likely they'll get a wage far higher than this (although they don't need your $100k+). What's happening with the other parent? They could also work, if only part time. Your figure for rent needn't be so expensive and neither do bills needs to come to $800 a month.

PiO is littered with stories of migrant families who have made life work for themselves down under and weren't put off by scaremongering nonsense about needing to earn huge six figure salaries to do it. Surely it's about adjusting your initial expectations and having some perspective?

I didn't come here to 'live the dream', nor did I come for a better life. Come to think of it, I don't know WHY I came here. Maybe I wanted an adventure. Both times that I've 'emigrated' here, I gave up good and secure jobs, and then found it hard to get work here. Financially, I should have returned to the UK, but I didn't. This second (and last!?) time, I wanted to be closer to my brother, once my parents passed away.

There's bound to be other people here, who were better off financially and 'socially' in the UK, but most people just stay, create new lives, 'become' Aussies. Their children almost certainly do. My niece and nephew would probably 'die' rather than move to the UK or Italy.

It's a country of migrants and most of them face the same problems, leaving family on the other side of the world, starting new lives in alien surroundings. I've always felt guilty about splitting my family up, never seeing my grandmother again.

'C'est la vie!?'

LOL, I cannot remember why I came here either, I think it was just because we could that we decided to, keeps life exciting though and peeps should remember

'one mans meat is another mans poison' Try it, if oz doesnt suit you go home or try somewhere else, you dont have to like something just because others do

Well of course, if you're going to make up a scenario like that out of thin air, you're going to appear to have a better argument. The trouble is, your example doesn't exist. The wage you've quoted isn't even minimum wage, so nobody is getting paid $550 a week. That would put one of the family on $28,600. It's likely they'll get a wage far higher than this (although they don't need your $100k+). What's happening with the other parent? They could also work, if only part time. Your figure for rent needn't be so expensive and neither do bills needs to come to $800 a month.

PiO is littered with stories of migrant families who have made life work for themselves down under and weren't put off by scaremongering nonsense about needing to earn huge six figure salaries to do it. Surely it's about adjusting your initial expectations and having some perspective?

And you live where....? Uk by any chance

I think you've misread his post - to be fair he did have a typo in it. He wasn't saying "your pay is $550 a week" - he was saying "you pay $550 a week rent". Make sense?

His figure for rent is actually pretty cheap for many cities in Australia. In Sydney (granted the most expensive of all), $550 a week doesn't get you much of a family house at all. It's either going to be a dump, in a dumpy suburb, or a long way out of town, for that sort of money. Also his figure for bills isn't *that* far off the mark. Add up gas/electric, phone, internet, mobiles, cable telly (last 3 aren't essential but most have it) and you won't get much change out of $500 a month and could easily be up to the $800 mark for some.

Yeah, it is littered with people who have made it work. It also has plenty who have been caught out by the cost of living and are surprised/disappointed that they have made a big move to be better off - only to find that actually they are worse off. Not surprising that makes some of them frustrated or even angry (perhaps with themselves for making a mistake). You may think doing it tough for a bit is a small price to pay for what you reckon you'll get out of it long term, but it's impossible to explain to a single person how everything is different once you have a family and are responsible for them, their lifestyle and their happiness too.

That's 550 a week rent which you will pay in WA

That's 550 a week rent which you will pay in WA

Oh, I see. My apologies, I'd misread your post. Still, the figures should be affordable without needing to earn six figures.

Yeah, it is littered with people who have made it work. It also has plenty who have been caught out by the cost of living and are surprised/disappointed that they have made a big move to be better off - only to find that actually they are worse off.

The statistics show that the majority don't find this to be the case, and stay to live a happy life down under. Among those who go then come back, how many do you think had unrealistic expectations or were under-prepared in terms of research? Quite a few, I'd say.

Look, of course Australia isn't going to be for everyone; I'm not suggesting it's some cheap paradise. What I'm suggesting is that it doesn't help anyone to start banding about six figure sums as a 'minimum' a family will need. I'd hate to think anyone would be put off from pursuing a dream because somebody on a forum starts suggesting that everyone needs as much money as he's decided he needs for himself - comments like that can seed serious doubts, many of which will be ill-founded.

Oh, I see. My apologies, I'd misread your post. Still, the figures should be affordable without needing to earn six figures.

The statistics show that the majority don't find this to be the case, and stay to live a happy life down under. Among those who go then come back, how many do you think had unrealistic expectations or were under-prepared in terms of research? Quite a few, I'd say.

Look, of course Australia isn't going to be for everyone; I'm not suggesting it's some cheap paradise. What I'm suggesting is that it doesn't help anyone to start banding about six figure sums as a 'minimum' a family will need. I'd hate to think anyone would be put off from pursuing a dream because somebody on a forum starts suggesting that everyone needs as much money as he's decided he needs for himself - comments like that can seed serious doubts, many of which will be ill-founded.

Right just answer my question.. Where do you live..? Uk or oz..?

I'd hate to think anyone would be put off from pursuing a dream because somebody on a forum starts suggesting that everyone needs as much money as he's decided he needs for himself - comments like that can seed serious doubts, many of which will be ill-founded.

Sure. So long as you're happy that you could say the same thing the other way - eg just because somebody on a forum starts suggesting that because they can live happily as a family on $50K, anyone can, then it's all good. Comments like that can lead people into making serious mistakes.......

See what I mean?

Hi all,

My wife and I are in the process of uping sticks with 4 kids to move to Victoria - my wife has a job offer in "whoop whoop land" as my friend from Melbourne calls it. What I would like to know, so we are prepared, are the reasons people return to the UK so we know what we are getting into and hopefully can prepare for these problems.

I know homesickness will be number one on the list - so it's the other stuff I'm more interested in.

Please be honest and say it like it is - I want to know the real downsides of life in Oz for a married couple with 4 kids (aged 2-12) compared to our current UK life.

Mate!, go for it, no-one will ever be 100% prepared, we are all different, I came with the knowledge that the worst that will happen is i return to uk doing what i know for the first 40 years of my life, it will be a terrific experience, some ups and some downs but an adventure which you will gain plenty of positives from, read all the positives and learn and same with the negatives and asume somewhere in the middle of the road, your'e this far along the journey now, go for it, could be the best thing you ever did, it wont ever be the worst. good luck

When was you last here..?

Recently.

It's obvious where you're going with this but it's redundant; the principle remains: each migration situation is going to be different. It helps nobody to start saying you need at least $100k income, because that's simply not true. Many people, even families, have coped with far less. You may have decided you need $100k+ yourself, and good for you if that's the case. But it's not the case for many others, and the cost of living doesn't demand it, so with all due respect, you'd be doing potential migrants a better service if you were to be less dogmatic over what is always a subjective issue.

Recently.

It's obvious where you're going with this but it's redundant; the principle remains: each migration situation is going to be different. It helps nobody to start saying you need at least $100k income, because that's simply not true. Many people, even families, have coped with far less. You may have decided you need $100k+ yourself, and good for you if that's the case. But it's not the case for many others, and the cost of living doesn't demand it, so with all due respect, you'd be doing potential migrants a better service if you were to be less dogmatic over what is always a subjective issue.

yes but what hes saying is that to have any decent quality of life that is the figure you need...i too have a decent wage paying over hundred grand and it goes like water...the majority of people move here for a better life.me included but because of the cost of living its impossible