Reasons to leave OZ

exiled in Wales

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Make your mind up mate..you said All Prices are going up ths year and the report says they MIGHT rise...ave another go matey.

Sorry mate..you said

"are going up" a lot different from "set to go up" I suggest you rephrase your post.

I said All UK Prices will be gpoing upo this year, on or around October 15th seeing as you like to be so pedantic.

I do not need to "re-phrase" my post !MATE!

All I have to do is sit back and see what happens.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know that's complete bullshite, why even type it.

Again, I don't agree with you. I agree with exiled in Wales on this point.

Make your mind up mate..you said All Prices are going up ths year and the report says they MIGHT rise...ave another go matey.

hahahaha if you think they wont rise.....

petrol yesterday

143.9p !!!!

your like an evil lawyer...... dont care about the truth... :wink:

God, you're easily pleased. BBQ wine, deep-fried elastic bands and polystyrene Australian chips. Maybe that's what's needed to be a successful immigrant in this country, being happy with less?.

oh thats right being happy with more is a better happiness...

I don't think for one minute that there are cheaper bills anywhere let alone Oz, but equally I don't subscribe to the "UK streets are paved with gold " theory that sort would argue.

WTF>?

Who said that? My post was a direct response to your:

Thanks for that Paul, will they eventually catch up the UK levels some day perhaps?

i.e., they've already more than overtaken UK prices on a per unit basis, and this means that many over here pay just as much if not more for their utilities. It *should* be cheaper, but it isn't because [soapbox]so many houses here are poorly insulated[/soapbox] - so even though the climate is more conducive, you end up spending the same sort of money. That's why I get so wound up about it, it's so wasteful

WTF>?

Where The Fone?

i.e., they've already more than overtaken UK prices on a per unit basis, and this means that many over here pay just as much if not more for their utilities. It *should* be cheaper, but it isn't because [soapbox]so many houses here are poorly insulated[/soapbox] - so even though the climate is more conducive, you end up spending the same sort of money. That's why I get so wound up about it, it's so wasteful[/color]

I wasn't arguing your point, I was agreeing and stating a fact that bills are not cheap anywhere, despite the fact that some would argue that the U.K was a cheaper place to live when if fact, it's not.

some would argue that the U.K was a cheaper place to live when if fact, it's not.

It all depends on your personal situation, doesn't it? Mainly based on income and where precisely you live/lived in terms of cost of housing. I'm better off (a bit) here in Oz, some aren't. Despite the tyranny of the HOFF's beloved average

It all depends on your personal situation, doesn't it? Mainly based on income and where precisely you live/lived in terms of cost of housing. I'm better off (a bit) here in Oz, some aren't. Despite the tyranny of the HOFF's beloved average

HOFF for Australian Fuhrer I say, at least he wont wear a skirt and have a dodgy hair do ;-)

You know that's complete bullshite, why even type it.

OK I don't know it's exactly 10 days with 0 rainfall - but I won't be far off I do know that - the best figs I can get are the met office stats for the Cardiff Bute Park weather station - bear in mind Cardiff is down on the coast Merthyr is up in the Brecon Beacons (mountains), so we are usually 2 or 3 degrees lower in temperature and significantly wetter.

I'll be generous and give you April as part of our summer ( I would say this is Spring but I'm generous):

April 150.8mm rainfall

May 67.6 mm

June 180.8

July 123.2

No figs for August yet but look at the current weekly forecast - no dry days in that, Cricket in Cardiff not started - due to rain.

Try picking more than 10 days since May when we have had NO RAINFALL and you will struggle. Why are you so sure Merthyr Tydfil has had significantly more than 10 dry days this summer & why does it matter so much to you, it can't be proved anyway as there is no weather station in Merthyr, so you'll just have to take my word for it, I do live here after all.

Anyway enough of that I will not be pulled any further into arguing with you on such a silly point, I have better things to be getting on with.

OK I don't know it's exactly 10 days with 0 rainfall - but I won't be far off I do know that - the best figs I can get are the met office stats for the Cardiff Bute Park weather station - bear in mind Cardiff is down on the coast Merthyr is up in the Brecon Beacons (mountains), so we are usually 2 or 3 degrees lower in temperature and significantly wetter.

I'll be generous and give you April as part of our summer ( I would say this is Spring but I'm generous):

April 150.8mm rainfall

May 67.6 mm

June 180.8

July 123.2

No figs for August yet but look at the current weekly forecast - no dry days in that, Cricket in Cardiff not started - due to rain.

Try picking more than 10 days since May when we have had NO RAINFALL and you will struggle. Why are you so sure Merthyr Tydfil has had significantly more than 10 dry days this summer & why does it matter so much to you, it can't be proved anyway as there is no weather station in Merthyr, so you'll just have to take my word for it, I do live here after all.

Anyway enough of that I will not be pulled any further into arguing with you on such a silly point, I have better things to be getting on with.

Haha you better get used to members here telling you what the situation is like in your hometown from 10,000 miles away mate.

Yes, I fully understand what you were asking, we were talking about......

I responded to this post, BBQ wine, deep fried plastic bands and polystyrene Australian Chips beat the heck out of similar fare in the UK hence my response at that time. The explanation lies in what I posted at that time no further qualifying sttaement is required.

You need to get out more by the sounds of it!Are you planning to move to Oz or just advising other people to?

You need to get out more by the sounds of it!Are you planning to move to Oz or just advising other people to?

I'll do what I choose to do thanks.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

He is one of the most respected long serving members of PIO, but you would know that if you had been on here for more than 2 minutes.

I admire the loyalty to long standing members of PIO however, does that mean you can say what you like when you like, with disregard for anyone's feelings or thoughts? Why measure the value of someone's opinion based on how long they have been a 'member'

Haha you better get used to members here telling you what the situation is like in your hometown from 10,000 miles away mate.

To be fair, there's no shortage of people living in the UK who are pretty big on telling you what it's like to live in Oz - even though they don't, and in some cases never have

Guest acjdownunder
AJ Downunder, you didn't waffle at all. It was all very good stuff & exactly what I'm looking for.

Regarding the housing being cold in Vic over winter, surely the more modern new build properties will have better insulation & double glazing?

Hi Again - you would think so wouldn't you, but no. It actually depends on your builder, but your budget looked about the same as ours and we built a brand new home - no double glazing and no radiator (it's called hydronics over here and costs the earth to install). They build houses very cheaply over here now and the majority are on what they call "slabs" concrete bases, so nowhere to put the pipes etc for hydronic heating. Instead we have warm air heating in the ceilings would you believe!!! Not sure if they realise that hot air rises ;-) The wind can be pretty strong (we are about 10 minutes from the coast in Lyndhurst) so we can hear the windows rattling at night and the curtains move with the draught. My first thing to save up for in this house will be double glazing, but we expect to pay much more that we did in the UK. We do love our home and buiding new does give you what you want first time, but if I could turn back time I would have rented only very short term and would have bought 2nd hand. We have found that we have put in almost the same amount in again as we paid the builder to make it a home eg garden landscaping, decorating, flooring, curtains etc, etc.....not having your own home when you first get here also does not help with the homesickness. The sooner you can get out of rental and into your own home the better!

I agree with the previous post in that it does take about 2 years to actually settle - my first few months were hell and I nagged my husband pretty much every week to go home. I left fantastic friends and a great job for what seemed to be exactly the same life that I had in the UK, only thousands of miles away, but it does get better. I don't think anyone really realises how far away this place is from home and the red tape you have to go through when you first get here seems to be just ridiculous, but you will settle :-) I think I saw you were going to Warrigal ... this is quite a long way from the city and would involve a very long commute to work. Is there a reason you chose Warrigal?

If I can help with anything else, just let me know ... happy to help :-)

Guest acjdownunder

Thanks! I am new to this, but it is so interesting to see people going through exactly what we went through :-)

It does make me laugh when people who have never lived in Oz insist that their knowledge of it is superior to those of us here. I remember a couple of years ago on another well known Oz forum we had one that was posting all the time spouting how wonderful it was to live in Oz compared to the UK. He had never been. Eventually he came over to live and lasted 6 months before complaining work was crap, too expensive...... and left. It was very funny at the time.

Hi Again - you would think so wouldn't you, but no. It actually depends on your builder, but your budget looked about the same as ours and we built a brand new home - no double glazing and no radiator (it's called hydronics over here and costs the earth to install). They build houses very cheaply over here now and the majority are on what they call "slabs" concrete bases, so nowhere to put the pipes etc for hydronic heating. Instead we have warm air heating in the ceilings would you believe!!! Not sure if they realise that hot air rises ;-) The wind can be pretty strong (we are about 10 minutes from the coast in Lyndhurst) so we can hear the windows rattling at night and the curtains move with the draught. My first thing to save up for in this house will be double glazing, but we expect to pay much more that we did in the UK. We do love our home and buiding new does give you what you want first time, but if I could turn back time I would have rented only very short term and would have bought 2nd hand. We have found that we have put in almost the same amount in again as we paid the builder to make it a home eg garden landscaping, decorating, flooring, curtains etc, etc.....not having your own home when you first get here also does not help with the homesickness. The sooner you can get out of rental and into your own home the better!

I agree with the previous post in that it does take about 2 years to actually settle - my first few months were hell and I nagged my husband pretty much every week to go home. I left fantastic friends and a great job for what seemed to be exactly the same life that I had in the UK, only thousands of miles away, but it does get better. I don't think anyone really realises how far away this place is from home and the red tape you have to go through when you first get here seems to be just ridiculous, but you will settle :-) I think I saw you were going to Warrigal ... this is quite a long way from the city and would involve a very long commute to work. Is there a reason you chose Warrigal?

If I can help with anything else, just let me know ... happy to help :-)

Your lucky. We dont have aircon, so no hot air. No form of heating at all. No insulation and in WA they have never heard of double glazing. Of course its because we dont need it. Which of course i will try to remember on a night when its 8c. That is while living in an area which Perth people, who are living in one of the worlds windiest cities, call a very windy place.

As for build quality. I reckon a couple of 4 year olds could put something up better than the average house. I was chatting in the pub with a architect the other month who was saying that the average new build in WA is designed to have a lifespan of 17 years. At first i was shocked, then thinking about the build quality i shouldnt be.

I once spoke to a new homes property salesman about double glazing, and he said unless you had a noise problem because you were near a freeway or airport then you didn't need it. I asked him about the insulation properties of double glazing, and he looked at me as if I was an idiot and just told me to buy a bigger air con unit. That was in 2003. The electricity has gone up a bit since then. I do wonder how long it will take before the double glazing is standard. You also have the security aspects to consider.

Guest acjdownunder
Ajdownunder, what a fantastic post! Loved reading it! We too have been here 3 years & it certainly has taken me at least 2 years to settle & get used to the cost of living. But we learnt to adapt to the aussie wasy of life, we too have met some amazing friends. I don't think that homesick feeling will ever go I just know how to deal with it now! Am planning to go back next year to visit & cant wait to see friends & family

thanks whatsitallabout - we are thinking about going back for a holiday next year too :-) we went last year and bought my mother back with us for a holiday - she loved it! I wish she would consider moving over here to be with us, that would get rid of the biggest homesickness problem for me, but that would just be me being selfish. Have fun in Blighty and don't eat too much proper chocolate :D

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Mr Hoff, how much time have you spent living in Oz ?

Not long enough, it's fantastic there though, I especially loved Brisbane and Perth, still great in the UK as well.

Archived