Reasons to leave OZ

exiled in Wales

My post seems to have ruffled some feathers with a couple of people. It was not intentional I assure you. However, one of the replies I thought was a bit over the top and I have to admit to feeling verbally attacked. If you do disagree with another members view, please try and express yourself in a "quieter" manner. Actually Zee, I have lived here for almost 20 years, but as you say this means "bugger all". Many thanks for the good wishes from the other members, it's much appreciated. My husband starts his radiotherapy in a few weeks and I am sure we will both get through this very well. I wish you all a good life, wherever you choose to spend it. Best wishes.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My post seems to have ruffled some feathers with a couple of people.

I don't think so. Just not all of us agreed with all of it. I think you're being oversensitive. I also think you've taken Zee's "BA" post the wrong way - I think she was posting to say that whether you've been here 20 months or 35 years, it makes no difference, it's all just one person's opinion/experience and no one person's is more valid than anothers

From a personal PoV, I picked on the bit I emboldened because I see it said a lot, and I think it is an assumption without much base in evidence. That's why I challenge it. I'm not saying the belief that people who are happy here don't post is wrong - I'm saying you can't possibly know

I'm not saying the belief that people who are happy here don't post is wrong - I'm saying you can't possibly know

Not overall I guess, but of 5 PIO members who've settled quite well in my locale, and 3 more up norf, not one of them now posts although they were regular posters when looking to move here, and in the first few months of arrival.

Not overall I guess, but of 5 PIO members who've settled quite well in my locale, and 3 more up norf, not one of them now posts although they were regular posters when looking to move here, and in the first few months of arrival.

It's still no guide

I know 2 (apart from me) who posted for info before they moved over. I still post, and regard myself as an Oz liker not a lover. One doesn't, and loves it here, never wants to go back. One doesn't, and hasn't settled at all and moans constantly

See? Proves nothing (because the samples are so small and subjective) That's why the "people who are happy don't post" thing is a furphy IMO. I don't believe there's any correlation nor obvious reason for a correlation between people who are happy, and people who are post

It's still no guide

I know 2 (apart from me) who posted for info before they moved over. I still post, and regard myself as an Oz liker not a lover. One doesn't, and loves it here, never wants to go back. One doesn't, and hasn't settled at all and moans constantly

See? Proves nothing (because the samples are so small and subjective) That's why the "people who are happy don't post" thing is a furphy IMO. I don't believe there's any correlation nor obvious reason for a correlation between people who are happy, and people who are post

Not really accurate.. logic tells you majority of people use this forum to help them emigrate to OZ. Once there they dont need it unless they are looking for support because they cant cope...

logic...

Not really accurate.. logic tells you majority of people use this forum to help them emigrate to OZ. Once there they dont need it unless they are looking for support because they cant cope...

logic...

If you think that's logic then you need a dictionary. It's a guess

If you think the only reason people post on this forum (or any forum) is for information or support, then I think you need more life experience. Places like this fulfil all sorts of psychological needs/wants

If you want proof of this, just look at all the posts from people who have migrated here and are perfectly happy, and happy to tell us so.....I was thinking of naming some but that seems not to be in order in this place, but there are dozens. Are you saying they are posting illogically?

Your post makes no logical sense

logic...

You say Logic , i say Bollocks !!

PIO was a god send years ago when we were migrating,i spent hours on here and i recieved so much help and information ,that to me its only natural to 'give back' and help others ,if i can, who were in my situation. Without people doing this ,no one would get any info and the forum wouldnt exsist.

As far as im aware i dont need support, the men who bring the white coats told me so,lol..

Cal x

^Precisely. I'm not looking for an argument as to whether the postulation "people who post here are less likely to be happy than the general population of those who have migrated" is true, because it's a pointless and circular debate; we can never know the answer without a lot of very tedious research which almost certainly isn't justified by the lack of importance of the issue.

That's my point; none of us can know, therefore none of us should really say one way or the other whether it's true or not. But quite a few seem to make assumptions around this issue. That's why I picked up on it, nothing more.

But it's really not a big deal

You say Logic , i say Bollocks !!

PIO was a god send years ago when we were migrating,i spent hours on here and i recieved so much help and information ,that to me its only natural to 'give back' and help others ,if i can, who were in my situation. Without people doing this ,no one would get any info and the forum wouldnt exsist.

As far as im aware i dont need support, the men who bring thw white coast told me so,lol..

Cal x

ok fair enough, but the majority of peeps who move to oz dont decide to come back and give support to others.. IMO thats all

ok fair enough, but the majority of peeps who move to oz dont decide to come back and give support to others.. IMO thats all

The majority of migrants probably dont ,but thankfully we have quite a few members who also caught the PIO addiction and do,lol,, i think some of them are sane and dont need help either,lol..but the men with white coats seemed to recognise the phrase PIO,,lol so who really knows..

Cal x

The majority of migrants probably dont ,but thankfully we have quite a few members who also caught the PIO addiction and do,lol,, i think some of them are sane and dont need help either,lol..but the men with white coats seemed to recognise the phrase PIO,,lol so who really knows..

Cal x

Given I'm not a migrant and don't want or need support I'm starting to think my PIO membership must mean I need a visit from the 'men in white coats'. :eek:

My post seems to have ruffled some feathers with a couple of people. It was not intentional I assure you. However, one of the replies I thought was a bit over the top and I have to admit to feeling verbally attacked. If you do disagree with another members view, please try and express yourself in a "quieter" manner. Actually Zee, I have lived here for almost 20 years, but as you say this means "bugger all". Many thanks for the good wishes from the other members, it's much appreciated. My husband starts his radiotherapy in a few weeks and I am sure we will both get through this very well. I wish you all a good life, wherever you choose to spend it. Best wishes.

Grief! That's all it takes to designate an 'attack' !! Really? Ruffled feathers and oversensitive is in the eye of the beholder I think!

I don't need lessons in posting in a 'quieter manner'! Jeepers!. I'm quite stunned at this reaction. At no point was I 'attacking' you. I know people say that; the "who me"? innocent defence, but I actually mean what I just said. I wasn't attacking you!

Because I had no subtle agenda (truthfully), I have no intention of explaining what I meant! I would type exactly the same post again.

Strewth! what an extraordinary overreaction! At first I thought you were joking, then I wondered who had offended you, then I realised it was me!

I really am finding this hard to believe. What happens here when somebody gets really nasty? A nervous breakdown?

This is bizarre.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Just to say I haven't ever been asked to be a Mod, I am a bad boy for making it up, please forgive me. I think I would be too much to handle TBH. lol

Guest The Pom Queen

That is true, I would say we lose 70% of members when they arrive which is such a shame as some of them have had lots of support from PIO, I just wish people would stay around and tell the members how good their life is now.

Guest guest17301
That is true, I would say we lose 70% of members when they arrive which is such a shame as so

me of them have had lots of support from PIO, I just wish people would stay around and tell the members how good their life is now.

I is here!:wubclub:

Guest Shell15
That is true, I would say we lose 70% of members when they arrive which is such a shame as some of them have had lots of support from PIO, I just wish people would stay around and tell the members how good their life is now.

...or bad? ;)

I will do my best to keep posting once im settled... :D Very grateful for this site TBH

We live on the Mornington Peninsula having moved to Australia 20 months ago. ......

PS I have been sitting here thinking of a negative that I can say about Australia from my view point and with hand on heart, the only thing I can say is, I wish they would move Europe closer down under as I do miss those wonderul places I visited regularly. But I do have the memories and life moves on. There are many wonderful places still to be explored in this hemisphere!!

Thanks 3 Piccos some interesting points, glad the healthcare is good & all free (4 kids etc etc), hope all goes well with your husband.

There must be some negatives you can think of - what about the cold houses in winter - this seems to be a common complaint, or do you have double glazing & heating?

As I've said many times before on this thread I'm not trying to "put down" OZ or dwell on the downside, it's just sooo easy to find good points and I want to look at the whole picture not just the good side of things.

BTW - it didn't rain at all yesterday - to compensate it hasn't stopped at all today !

Mary Rose02, it doesn't have to be bad enough to force you home to be helpful to me, at least now I know to pack some warm jimmy jammers ;)

Also I have read a few posts that mention less holidays, 20 days p/a is the figure quoted and this is the figure in my wifes contract. Is that 20 days plus bank holidays like it would be in the UK? Do they have bank holidays ?

I'm on a casual rate so I don't get ANY holidays or sick leave, although I get paid more to compensate - $5 per hour on top of the basic $27. Twenty days per year sounds right, plus the public holidays for Xmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day, Australia Day (26th Jan), Good Friday & Easter Monday, Anzac Day (25th April) (my birthday), Queen's Birthday - something I should know being a royalist but don't. I don't think it's on her official birthday? Is there another public holiday in October? Labour Day? Plus some of the states have different days - eg Melbourne Cup is a public holiday in Victoria???????????

You used to get three months long service leave after ten year's service. I took six months on half pay and went to England back in 1983 but I don't know if it is still in operation????

I've got a hot water bottle and an extra blanket on top of my doona but I always have the window door bolted ajar. 22 degrees maximum in Sydney Tuesday I think but it'll be down to 8 overnight. I'm sure I saw it was 1 degree in Richmond overnight on Sunday but up to 20 by midday. It's that temperture range that always surprises me. I go to work at lunchtime with a jacket, hat, scarf, pullover and I'm cursing because I feel SO hot, but I need them at 8pm.

PS Just realized that I did NOT take long service leave in 1983 as I'd only been in the public service for two years. I took unpaid leave instead and forgot to pay up my pension for those six months too. People did take it plus unpaid leave to go overseas though.

Archived