Reasons to leave OZ

exiled in Wales

My (Australian) husband is horrified by the standards of education and teachers here. (UK) He is a deputy head and also lectures to teaching students at the local Uni. They have many student teachers come through his school and it is scary to think that many would be allowed to babysit your children let alone be responsible for educating them in some way! They can't spell, speak properly, have no basic general knowledge and definitely no sense of responsibility or common sense!

He also thinks Michael Gove is the worst thing that has ever happened in education! So before any poms get holier than thou re our wonderful education system I would hold fire. We may be in for a disaster !

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheArmChairDetective
14000 jobs lost in the public sector today in Queensland , more to follow as well. Just sat and watched the news on it. State wanted to cut 20000 jobs.

So if that's a reason for you to leave Oz, where will you go?

I don't live there, I live in the land of milk and honey ( WA ) .

Ah, Little Britain. You'll have your feet well under the table of milk and honey :-)

Thanks to one and all. To sum up my learning points:

1. Get kids alternative fruit based squash rather than Ribena.

2. Everything is very expensive or ........No it's not & if get paid in dollars it's OK. Don't compare with UK prices just go with the flow.

3. Get Tinnies and cheap stuff from Aldi.

4. Learn to identify speed cameras quickly.

5. You can't live on less than $100k.........or yes you can easily.

6. Get decent amount of bank holidays on top of 20 days holiday.

7. PG Tips & HP sauce is readily available - This is probably the MOST important learning point. :)

Thanks to all, hopefully Visa will be sorted soon and we may get out before Christmas.

My (Australian) husband is horrified by the standards of education and teachers here. (UK) He is a deputy head and also lectures to teaching students at the local Uni. They have many student teachers come through his school and it is scary to think that many would be allowed to babysit your children let alone be responsible for educating them in some way! They can't spell, speak properly, have no basic general knowledge and definitely no sense of responsibility or common sense!

He also thinks Michael Gove is the worst thing that has ever happened in education! So before any poms get holier than thou re our wonderful education system I would hold fire. We may be in for a disaster !

Two of my neighbors (a couple from uk) are teachers here and love Oz incredibly. But are so dismayed at the Oz education system that they have decided when they have children in a year or two they will have no choice but to return to the uk as they are not willing to put their child through Oz education. Both are currently working at one of Perth's better schools.

Two of my neighbors (a couple from uk) are teachers here and love Oz incredibly. But are so dismayed at the Oz education system that they have decided when they have children in a year or two they will have no choice but to return to the uk as they are not willing to put their child through Oz education. Both are currently working at one of Perth's better schools.

They do have a choice, they have just chosen differently to most.

TBH, I'm amazed that my son is going to Uni..........................it must be the 6 months that he spent in the UK when he was born that got him off on the right foot, not the years spent in Oz primary and secondary....................I only hope that any qualification he gains at Uni is recognised by the rest of the developed world..................Australian education being so backward 'n all:wacko:

I didn't even know that they had SatNav in Oz.....

They do, but you don't really need it. You see, you drive north over the Harbour Bridge, take the 2nd left onto the Pacific Highway, and that is basically the end of the decision making, apart from one junction in the Northern Territory, and 20,000 kilometres later, you are back in Sydney.

However, as a nurse (like me) you will be earning spectacularly good money, upwards of $80k a year and this does balance things out, but things are expensive. I must say, you will need about $100k a year to live a good life (by which I mean have enough to pay for everything and save a little and have a holiday each year)

i was just wondering about your salary. im a nurse and looking at coming over to wa with my children aged 7 and 9 and OH who will not have ajob to begin with

ive looked at the salaries and im looking at 5o odd thousand dollars?

im very concerned about moving my children over and then it not working financially as my aim over there is a better way of life for them. is it pssible to be stable happy and earn this wage ?

You can easily live on less than 100000 dollars a yer....? Maybe but you won't have a better quality of life.. Your be skint all the time

Quality of life is subjective - it depends which particular Jones' you are trying to keep up with. I'm skint all the time now, so there'll be little difference there, but I'll be poor somewhere new and exciting. A nice cup of tea, a bacon butty with HP sauce = Happy exiled in Wales.

Quality of life is subjective - it depends which particular Jones' you are trying to keep up with. I'm skint all the time now, so there'll be little difference there, but I'll be poor somewhere new and exciting. A nice cup of tea, a bacon butty with HP sauce = Happy exiled in Wales.

You won't be able to afford all three on one wage in Sydney. You will have to club together with two others - one gets the cup of char, another the bread, a third, the bacon, hang on, I mis-calculated, you need FOUR others, one to buy the butter and the last to buy the sauce.

i was just wondering about your salary. im a nurse and looking at coming over to wa with my children aged 7 and 9 and OH who will not have ajob to begin with

ive looked at the salaries and im looking at 5o odd thousand dollars?

im very concerned about moving my children over and then it not working financially as my aim over there is a better way of life for them. is it pssible to be stable happy and earn this wage ?

50000 should not be your wage depending on your experience/length of time qualified, and whether your employer recognises it. On top of the basic you will have penalty payments for lates/nights/weekends which adds a considerable amount to the basic.

Yes Mary, we have heard Sydney is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. We are aiming for WOOP WOOP outside Melbourne, my family have joked that the 6 of us will double the towns population ;)

It must be a BIG town that you are moving to; Usually, 'Woop-Woop' means that you will be increasing the size by 500 per cent!

Guest themanns

We are going back because there is not as much to do for earlyteens etc and it's soo spread out you have to travel to things..more on the doorsteps in uk. Also hate spiders!!

We are going back because there is not as much to do for earlyteens etc and it's soo spread out you have to travel to things..more on the doorsteps in uk. Also hate spiders!!

But you knew there were spiders before you migrated, yes?

Archived