Reasons to leave OZ

exiled in Wales

Hi all,

My wife and I are in the process of uping sticks with 4 kids to move to Victoria - my wife has a job offer in "whoop whoop land" as my friend from Melbourne calls it. What I would like to know, so we are prepared, are the reasons people return to the UK so we know what we are getting into and hopefully can prepare for these problems.

I know homesickness will be number one on the list - so it's the other stuff I'm more interested in.

Please be honest and say it like it is - I want to know the real downsides of life in Oz for a married couple with 4 kids (aged 2-12) compared to our current UK life.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not really woop woop land - Warragul, Drouin area to be exact. Don't think homesickness or family will be too much of a problem as don't see them much anyway. Live in Merthyr Tydfil at present & from Croydon so I am already in UK woop woop land.

More interested in the ill health & financial difficulties - If in ill health is the Oz healthcare expensive or rubbish? Do Brits suffer financial difficulties coz everything costs a fortune?

we went to oz with three kids, youngest was 6 eldest was 9, they were our main reason for returning.. they just couldn't settle, they changed within a couple of weeks became very withdrawn.. not themselves at all, our middle one cried almost every night, not tears but huge sobs so he couldn't breathe, returning was a very easy decision to come to

Warragul has never seen woop woop !!! You will be fine it seems lovely there. Drouin is expanding so quickly it reminds me of back home. It's really close to the city you got the best of both worlds there.

Just make sure you get yourselves out there and meet as many people as can :biggrin: We live another 2 and a half hours woop from warragul and that's still not woop woop really. I think we would have struggled if we hadn't made friends, but we just got stuck in and have the most amazing life now, would want to be anywhere else than gippsland

I must admit I was a little disappointed when I got here and there were no tumble weeds and salon bars cause my research led me to believe I would be in the middle of nowhere ... Woop woop is not to far away and that where you take yourself off camping

Enjoy

Guest The Ropey HOFF
There goes your theory hoff...only 12 out of a 100 return because they are home sick.

Its not my theory, its what most say, i have seen it said on numerous programmes and on countless serveys, you can't believe everything you read, lol. But not many dislike Australia whatever you read.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Environment and Wildlife - 3.4%

All other factors - 21.7%

Environment = weather, i think thats stretching it a bit.

Have you dine any research yourself into Australia or is this your first port of call?

Yes, yes we have.

Never having visited Oz but having 2 of my 4 best friends in the world living in Oz we have some first hand experience to call upon - but they both live there now and only say positive things - I want to know the downside before I leave so it is not a surprise. I think my family can cope with anything and make a success of anything - I just want to be prepared.

Research on the internet often contradicts itself - looking at climate for Warragul I found figures that were contradictory to the testamony of a local I spoke to. I also researched the Merthyr Tydfil climate and found 1 website that suggested Merthyr Tydfil was arrid with rainfall only in November - for those that don't know and are looking for a dry place to live it rains every day in Merthyr, so you can't believe all you read, I would rather hear 1st hand real experiences.

It's not really woop woop land - Warragul, Drouin area to be exact. Don't think homesickness or family will be too much of a problem as don't see them much anyway. Live in Merthyr Tydfil at present & from Croydon so I am already in UK woop woop land.

More interested in the ill health & financial difficulties - If in ill health is the Oz healthcare expensive or rubbish? Do Brits suffer financial difficulties coz everything costs a fortune?

hi there im gonna give you my honest opinion make of it what you will its just my experience...we moved here nearly 5 years ago with one child...we came after visiting my sister on holiday...we too were very exited and looked forward to the challenge .the first year or so was easy for me but not for my wife she struggled with the homesickness thing quite bad...i did notice however straight away how expensive it was for perscriptions etc etc.but it just never bothered me at the time...eventually my wife settled and things were cool i got (and still have)an extremley well paid job and we travelled around oz doing what we wanted..but as time went on i started to get pissed off with the whole racism attitude from MOST (not all)of the aussies i lived and worked with...there very anti indian very anti uk infact anti anyone who wasnt born here or anyone who isnt patriotic about australia...add this to the rising cost of day to day living it just isnt worth the hassle anymore...little example (AND BEFORE PEOPLE COMMENT WHO HAVE NEVER ACCTUALLY LIVED HERE I CAN PROVE THIS)my gas bill for 8 weeks was $185 that was the one before the one i recieved last week which was $420...thats the same 3 people living in the same house nothing different its just the increase..when i rang them they said they would send someone out to re read the meter but if it was right they would charge me $38 extra which they did when it was right...groceries is shocking really really shocking..$13 for a 2 ltr of ribena...these are facts which may sound trivial to most people but are important to know before you come...all that said australia is an amazimg place to visit melbourne has some amazing things to do and i have enjoyed alot of my time here...i would not ever ever tell anyone not to move here even if its just for the experiance but to us its just not worth it....one of the worst things is adults with oz accents..kids is ok cos thats natural although my son was 9 when we moved here his yorkshire accent is as strong as ever(THANK GOD) but uk adults greeting another uk adult with the term hey how you doing ..then the other replying yeah all good mate hows yourself in a false aussie accent makes me feel ill...its wrong emmbarresing so stop it now people out there..hope this helps a bit mate and good look with your journey

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Environment = weather, i think thats stretching it a bit.

No said it did equal weather

Environment includes weather is perfectly reasonable though, isn't it? Where else would such a reason reside? Such people do exist, even if there aren't many of them

Includes, but not specific.

Yes, yes we have.

Never having visited Oz but having 2 of my 4 best friends in the world living in Oz we have some first hand experience to call upon - but they both live there now and only say positive things - I want to know the downside before I leave so it is not a surprise. I think my family can cope with anything and make a success of anything - I just want to be prepared.

Research on the internet often contradicts itself - looking at climate for Warragul I found figures that were contradictory to the testamony of a local I spoke to. I also researched the Merthyr Tydfil climate and found 1 website that suggested Merthyr Tydfil was arrid with rainfall only in November - for those that don't know and are looking for a dry place to live it rains every day in Merthyr, so you can't believe all you read, I would rather hear 1st hand real experiences.

Merthyr arid, lol

Commendable for you to try and figure it out from all angles. Looking at the "reasons for going home" posted by Stevie is probably good start point for you

The subject can get quite heated; people invest a lot of money, energy and emotions in coming here and it doesn't work out for everyone, as you would expect. Some of those for whom it hasn't worked out can get quite bitter about that, because they feel they've failed, or because they are going to have to take a knock in going back and starting again, or because they're worried if they move back it might still not work for them back at home, or because they're angry with themselves for feeling they made a mistake, or......a whole host of reasons really. So you have to try and see through the emotive posts for the gold.

My personal view is that the best thing you can do is try and research what you can in terms of the factual stuff - whether or not you'll be better off, how school systems work, practicalities, that sort of thing - and try and forewarn yourself with what can go wrong for some. Have some really honest conversations with your family about what has gone wrong for some others. And if you still feel it's the right move then take a chance. There's no research you can do that will tell you how you will feel and whatever the reasons given on the list Stevie's posted, many of those are wrapped around how you feel.

You might miss family and friends so much you can't hack it, your wife might, your kids might.....or Australian culture/landscape/lifestyle might just not grab any of you, or grab you in the wrong way. You just can't tell until you give it a go. Remember that in the modern age it's relatively easy for us to change our minds and go back if it doesn't work out, so there's no need to think you're making an irrevocable commitment. It's much, much easier than it was for migrants in history (and relatively recent history at that) for whom coming back wasn't an option regardless of what happened. For the vast majority of people, the only thing a mistake will cost you is some money and a bit of time. But at least you won't be wondering "what if?"

hi there im gonna give you my honest opinion make of it what you will its just my experience...we moved here nearly 5 years ago with one child...we came after visiting my sister on holiday...we too were very exited and looked forward to the challenge .the first year or so was easy for me but not for my wife she struggled with the homesickness thing quite bad...i did notice however straight away how expensive it was for perscriptions etc etc.but it just never bothered me at the time...eventually my wife settled and things were cool i got (and still have)an extremley well paid job and we travelled around oz doing what we wanted..but as time went on i started to get pissed off with the whole racism attitude from MOST (not all)of the aussies i lived and worked with...there very anti indian very anti uk infact anti anyone who wasnt born here or anyone who isnt patriotic about australia...add this to the rising cost of day to day living it just isnt worth the hassle anymore...little example (AND BEFORE PEOPLE COMMENT WHO HAVE NEVER ACCTUALLY LIVED HERE I CAN PROVE THIS)my gas bill for 8 weeks was $185 that was the one before the one i recieved last week which was $420...thats the same 3 people living in the same house nothing different its just the increase..when i rang them they said they would send someone out to re read the meter but if it was right they would charge me $38 extra which they did when it was right...groceries is shocking really really shocking..$13 for a 2 ltr of ribena...these are facts which may sound trivial to most people but are important to know before you come...all that said australia is an amazimg place to visit melbourne has some amazing things to do and i have enjoyed alot of my time here...i would not ever ever tell anyone not to move here even if its just for the experiance but to us its just not worth it....one of the worst things is adults with oz accents..kids is ok cos thats natural although my son was 9 when we moved here his yorkshire accent is as strong as ever(THANK GOD) but uk adults greeting another uk adult with the term hey how you doing ..then the other replying yeah all good mate hows yourself in a false aussie accent makes me feel ill...its wrong emmbarresing so stop it now people out there..hope this helps a bit mate and good look with your journey

So very many holes in that statement where would one begin?

So very many holes in that statement where would one begin?

You have to remember that at the end of the day, it is this posters personal experience. You may think there are as you quoted holes in his statement, but until you walk a mile in someone's shoes, we have to remember that it is their experiences and their opinion.

Cheers

Karen

you def need to go home mate, sounds like you've had a gutful. I've felt like that on previous 'tours'.

I can see where you're coming from re the rip off culture. Charging $38 for checking the meter is a good example, but its endemic in the retail and service industry.

Whilst I don't agree that Aus is a racist country (well no more racist than the UK), I totally appreciate the 'anti anyone who isnt patriotic about Australia', you see evidence of that all the time on here from both Aussies and Waussies alike. Its just something I don't (never will, never want to) understand. It's not something I want to be part of, I don't want my children brainwashed to think that way either. I want them to be proud of who/what they are (Aus/British) but not to view 'outsiders' with suspicion or a begrudging superficial acceptance (which in reality is just one step away from telling them to FI or FO).