Reasons to leave OZ

exiled in Wales

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest41161
To return to title of thread - 1 reason to leave Australia - General unhappiness.

My one reason, general boredom. Every town and city has similar over priced restaurants, every Australian BBQ I have attended contains the standard lamb chops, sausages and salad made with iceberg lettuce, and people get excited in pubs about a meat tray raffle! Got to be more to life than four n twenty pies being a discussion point!

My one reason, general boredom. Every town and city has similar over priced restaurants, every Australian BBQ I have attended contains the standard lamb chops, sausages and salad made with iceberg lettuce, and people get excited in pubs about a meat tray raffle! Got to be more to life than four n twenty pies being a discussion point!

I hear you bro! Truly I do. But I've found (in the 19 months I've been here) that there is far, far more to Australia than this.

As Fish has said earlier in this thread get updated stereotypes, not Aus 1968. I realise that many Aussies do live like this but they are generally older, poorer, less well-educated and living in the outer suburbs of capital cities. I also realise that due to economic reality (I find it strange how so few people on here mention just how bl00dy expensive emigrating is) most poms arriving in Aus will also tend to live in these areas.

But get out and about and Australia is changing just as much as any other developed nation. The reason I slagged the media off earlier is that they perpetuate these outdated stereotypes of Australia whilst I've found the real people who inhabited the country have moved on and changed.

I'm lucky to be living in a regional centre in western NSW doing a job I love with great people. Yes I can go down the RSL, play the pokies, enter the meat raffle and drink Tooheys New. But why the hell would I? It's not my scene and it's not the scene of many, many Australians either.

I hear you bro! Truly I do. But I've found (in the 19 months I've been here) that there is far, far more to Australia than this.

As Fish has said earlier in this thread get updated stereotypes, not Aus 1968. I realise that many Aussies do live like this but they are generally older, poorer, less well-educated and living in the outer suburbs of capital cities. I also realise that due to economic reality (I find it strange how so few people on here mention just how bl00dy expensive emigrating is) most poms arriving in Aus will also tend to live in these areas.

But get out and about and Australia is changing just as much as any other developed nation. The reason I slagged the media off earlier is that they perpetuate these outdated stereotypes of Australia whilst I've found the real people who inhabited the country have moved on and changed.

I'm lucky to be living in a regional centre in western NSW doing a job I love with great people. Yes I can go down the RSL, play the pokies, enter the meat raffle and drink Tooheys New. But why the hell would I? It's not my scene and it's not the scene of many, many Australians either.

exactly my view on life here too. very well put.

Guest guest41161

Part of my comments were tongue in cheek, part reality. I have been here for 9 years now, and although most time has been in Brisbane I have also spent 1.5 years living in Melbourne. Also due to my job, I have seen a lot of the country from Alice Springs to Perth, to Norfolk Island. Yes, there are many sides to Australia, but for me, I keep getting back to what I commented on. Just when you think it may change, invite to BBQ and same old ****! Come on its the 21 century, and being served a snag on a piece of unbuttered bread is seriously one of the most cringeworthy things I see. Yet a large majority of Australians will line up for this and think it's great! :wacko:

Also heard the go visit one of great country pubs. Hmmm each one is similar to the last, beer mats stuck to walls, serving the same pots of XXXX Gold, frozen chips and the afore mentioned four and twenty pies. All at an over inflated price as it's the only tin shed with food and drink in a 50km radius. I only have 3 months left but really cannot wait to take my wife to a 'country pub' in the West country for Sunday lunch with the locals. At least I do know my bread wll be buttered. Never say never though, and I may return here in a few years, but looking forward to introducing my Australian family to my previous culture and lifestyle.

Of course they complain about prices. My (Aussie) sister in law is always going on about how they spend $3,000 per month for a family of four, but if I suggested she move to the UK, she'd tell me to **** off.

Wherever you go in the world, people are complaining, not least me. But what irritates me is hearing people from the UK whingeing on here about how much better it is at 'home!'

It only happens on here too. None of my Pommie or Irish mates go on like this.

Its true we will line up for a snag or a hamburger at a barbecue, one thing I learned early on is that Aussies as a rule do not like to part with the buck. So if meat prices are expensive, as they are now, why give steak at a barbie, for a start most people crucify the steak, so called barbecue steak is not really grilling steak. Its all about meeting up with people not what is served up, its a great leveller so that everyone feels comfortable with everyone, most people can afford a snag.

I would hate to make someone feel they had to lay on the fancy grub to keep up.

We have friends who get caterers in when they have a do, do I feel like spending that kind of money, not at all but horses for courses, happy to go along and enjoy myself and if they come to mine they can have whatever I am offering.

Don't think that because someone chooses to stay in a small house for years and years they are poor, its just people have different needs and things to do with their money and lot like to keep it.

But what irritates me is hearing people from the UK whingeing on here about how much better it is at 'home!'

Maybe for them, it is. Could be as simple as that

It only happens on here too. None of my Pommie or Irish mates go on like this.

I hear a few moaning IRL. The minority but they definitely exist. Same as on here then, I think - as you often post, the "discontents" are a minority

Reasons to move back:

1. Family

2. Sense of Belonging

3. Homesick for people, places, food etc

I suffer from all of them, but on the whole they'll wait until I've had my fill of Australia and achieved what I came here to do. Save some money, get better work experience, and travel around a bit.

Guest guest41161
But what irritates me is hearing people from the UK whingeing on here about how much better it is at 'home!'

Maybe not a good idea to read a thread about why people wish to go back to the UK if it irritates you?

We are not really complaining, we are just expressing the reasons why we want to go home, and what things we maybe find more comforting in the UK when comparing to here. I believe this is what this thread was about? Everything is different, not necessarily better or worse, but different. It should be also as the two countries are at the opposite ends of the earth, and if anyone emigrating expects the UK with sunshine when they get here, they are in for a shock.

Its true we will line up for a snag or a hamburger at a barbecue, one thing I learned early on is that Aussies as a rule do not like to part with the buck. So if meat prices are expensive, as they are now, why give steak at a barbie, for a start most people crucify the steak, so called barbecue steak is not really grilling steak. Its all about meeting up with people not what is served up, its a great leveller so that everyone feels comfortable with everyone, most people can afford a snag.

I would hate to make someone feel they had to lay on the fancy grub to keep up.

We have friends who get caterers in when they have a do, do I feel like spending that kind of money, not at all but horses for courses, happy to go along and enjoy myself and if they come to mine they can have whatever I am offering.

Don't think that because someone chooses to stay in a small house for years and years they are poor, its just people have different needs and things to do with their money and lot like to keep it.

Definately all about meeting up with people- on a Friday night,fire up the barbie,get into the beers,happy dayz....!!

I suppose I shouldn't read posts comparing UK with OZ, whether favourably or unfavourably, but 99 per cent of PIO consists of posts from people in the various stages of emigration and all the different various visas and processes they are going through. It's all 'Greek' to me. Even the working holiday visa I came out here orginally with has changed so I can't even comment on that.

I suppose also, like Kevin Costner's character in Dances With Wolves - Major John Dunbar??? - I've gone native, something I first noticed when I went along to the last day of the SCG Ashes test to join in the mass gloat by The Barmy Army, and found I did not enjoy it.

When I first came back to Sydney at Xmas, 2008, I went into Woolies at Revesby and was, frankly rather disappointed, comparing it most unfavourably to ASDA, Tesco & Waitrose. But now when I go into Woolies or Coles they just look normal to me and I can't remember what 'A, T & W' look like any more. I get the idea though that some people spend their days on the websites comparing Pommie prices then going into Coles and Woolies and checking them all off. Gross exaggeration, I know, and whinging about Aussie 'snags' is just a symptom of general homesickness.

The one bit of comfort I can offer is that the longer you stay here, the more likely you are to turn into 'Major John Dunbar', but you only find that out when you go back to the UK, and find you miss OZ!

I've lived here 31 years and Australia has been very kind to me but things have hanged here a lot in the last 10 years or so. I think you have to realise that just because we speak English here it is still a 'foreign' country. There are too many differences to list. It is not always easy when you first arrive unless you have friends to say with who can steer you in the right direction.

You have to realise that relatives might become seriously ill or die whislt you are here; that your children will grow up not knowing their relatives; that you will not recognise the children you know now who have become adults if you don't see them for many years; that friendships you thought were solid in UK will probably drop off after while.

In Australia you will find the food prices exhorbitant (as a newly arrived x-manager of Morrison's told me!) Actually he said he and his wife nearly had a heart attack when they saw the cost of their first food bill and that he is aghast at so little choice in the shops ( 5 months ago). You will need to change nearly al of the brands you are used to using of course. There is also a different language here - oh yes that can be quite fun a times! Not just the obvious like motorway versus freeway or units versus flats. Corned beef is not Fray Bentos is a tin - it is what we used to call 'boiled beef and carrots' beef! Lambs liver is lambs fry here and so it goes on. Sticky beak means nosey (love that one).

Telephone costs are exhorbitant. Not sure what type of visa you will come out on but private health care is also expensive and it doesn't usually cover all your costs either. I pay $2,500 per year and it has cost me $2,500 this year on top of that after all rebates to have an operation with 3 night stay. Dental care is also a lot dearer.

so, I would say that the costs may well shock you. Also our working hours may shock you as we tend to work longer hours. You may not earn any more than you do in UK either (only you can work that out).

The weather can get you down too - can be quite extreme. Houses are not built here with double glazing nor central heating - we usually rely on reverse cycle air conditioners (heat & cold) or some newer homes have ducted air conditioning. Electricity costs are rapidly rising and in some areas of Australia are now truly fightening so you might rethink renting a house with a pool until you get used to the costs. Water costs have risen dramatically as well. Go on realestate.com.au or domain.com.au and check out rental costs in area you intend to move to. Rent your house out there for 6 months with option to renew and when you come here sign a 6 month lease - that should give you enough time to get over the culture shock.

I believe I was lucky coming out when I did and experiencing Australia at it's best. I would now like to return to UK though (which we definitely intend to do and are working towards now). That may make me seem biased but believe me I'm not. I have been all around Australia and again, I did that at the right time, before so many beautiful areas were 'invaded' by mining and Australia is in my soul - plus I have 3 adult children here so will be back for visits. One thing I have only just realised though is that out of all my friends, very few are born and bred Australians - most are from New Zealand and Europe - after 31 years! I believe it is because we have the same sense of humour and also we just automatically understand each other so easily - we speak the same 'language'!

Lastly, if you think Australia is like Home & Away or Neighbours or you are enticed by the programs you are seeing in UK about people emigrating here, press the delete button immediately! Come out here with an open mind and a sense of it being an adventure, albeit a very expensive one and remember the cost of shipping is far, far dearer from Australia to UK if you wish to return. A container seems to be costing people an average of $7000 to return to UK. I wish you and your family well.

I've lived here 31 years and Australia has been very kind to me but things have hanged here a lot in the last 10 years or so. I think you have to realise that just because we speak English here it is still a 'foreign' country. There are too many differences to list. It is not always easy when you first arrive unless you have friends to say with who can steer you in the right direction.

You have to realise that relatives might become seriously ill or die whislt you are here; that your children will grow up not knowing their relatives; that you will not recognise the children you know now who have become adults if you don't see them for many years; that friendships you thought were solid in UK will probably drop off after while.

In Australia you will find the food prices exhorbitant (as a newly arrived x-manager of Morrison's told me!) Actually he said he and his wife nearly had a heart attack when they saw the cost of their first food bill and that he is aghast at so little choice in the shops ( 5 months ago). You will need to change nearly al of the brands you are used to using of course. There is also a different language here - oh yes that can be quite fun a times! Not just the obvious like motorway versus freeway or units versus flats. Corned beef is not Fray Bentos is a tin - it is what we used to call 'boiled beef and carrots' beef! Lambs liver is lambs fry here and so it goes on. Sticky beak means nosey (love that one).

Telephone costs are exhorbitant. Not sure what type of visa you will come out on but private health care is also expensive and it doesn't usually cover all your costs either. I pay $2,500 per year and it has cost me $2,500 this year on top of that after all rebates to have an operation with 3 night stay. Dental care is also a lot dearer.

so, I would say that the costs may well shock you. Also our working hours may shock you as we tend to work longer hours. You may not earn any more than you do in UK either (only you can work that out).

The weather can get you down too - can be quite extreme. Houses are not built here with double glazing nor central heating - we usually rely on reverse cycle air conditioners (heat & cold) or some newer homes have ducted air conditioning. Electricity costs are rapidly rising and in some areas of Australia are now truly fightening so you might rethink renting a house with a pool until you get used to the costs. Water costs have risen dramatically as well. Go on realestate.com.au or domain.com.au and check out rental costs in area you intend to move to. Rent your house out there for 6 months with option to renew and when you come here sign a 6 month lease - that should give you enough time to get over the culture shock.

I believe I was lucky coming out when I did and experiencing Australia at it's best. I would now like to return to UK though (which we definitely intend to do and are working towards now). That may make me seem biased but believe me I'm not. I have been all around Australia and again, I did that at the right time, before so many beautiful areas were 'invaded' by mining and Australia is in my soul - plus I have 3 adult children here so will be back for visits. One thing I have only just realised though is that out of all my friends, very few are born and bred Australians - most are from New Zealand and Europe - after 31 years! I believe it is because we have the same sense of humour and also we just automatically understand each other so easily - we speak the same 'language'!

Lastly, if you think Australia is like Home & Away or Neighbours or you are enticed by the programs you are seeing in UK about people emigrating here, press the delete button immediately! Come out here with an open mind and a sense of it being an adventure, albeit a very expensive one and remember the cost of shipping is far, far dearer from Australia to UK if you wish to return. A container seems to be costing people an average of $7000 to return to UK. I wish you and your family well.

Great post Fizzybangs, can relate to so much in it. We are back in the Uk after 10 yrs (been back a year now) Have to agree, the Oz we lurved 10-12 yrs ago whilst backpacking is not the one we left a year ago. So much has changed, is it mining? is it a change of government? Or has it just peaked? or perhaps, equally it was us, as we also changed too & went from 20 somethings looking for adventure to 30 somethings looking to settle down long term with our kids.

Is true about the timing, pounds went so much further 12 yrs ago & I also think we were incredibly lucky we had a brilliant adventure & our money went so much further. We travelled all of Oz, lurved the East Coast but decided on Perth, had friends there (perhaps that was an error in judgement on our part, Perth just wasnt enough for us)

Interestingly the UK I was disillusioned with 10-12 yrs ago & couldnt wait to leave has also changed, grown up maybe but I utterly lurve it, feel so at home & connected. (again partly due to the country & a bit of patriotism I never notice before but also we did not return to the same place, (our home town) rather a well researched part of the country that we felt would be better suited to us as a family, no longer townies but semi-rural!)

Hard to put into words, has been a challenging year but is getting easier. For the most part we are working on finding a way or a level to connect with family (a messy divorced family at that!) but sisters wedding last month & was fab to be there & part of it, especially for the kids. One thing I like about being back is that extended family are accessible, we arent the kind of family in each others pockets & lurvly to see them (for the kids) but equally lurvly (for us!) to go home!

Glad of our time in Oz & Nz, changed us as people, have come back with a level of optimism, determination & a belief that everything is possible!

Edited by Sunshine111

Guest LindaN

well we are back to Blighty in 2 weeks having missed the buzz of the uk during the Olympics. OUr reason to return is mainly our 13 year old daughter who is dreadfully unhappy and this has had a profound effect on the rest of us. My husband has also surprisingly had a ''wobble'' and cannot see himself here in the longer term ( we had previously had time here in the 90's pre kids ).

I am a bit sad to be returning but wont have to think when I am 50 "I wish i had given it a go "

Health issues also worry us. We are both fit and well and work in the health sector. On the UK relocation shows they never include health in the budget section when people weigh up the pros and cons compared to the UK. I read just today that the average spend on health is $64 per week per housegold (this does not include health insurance). You are OK in Australia if you are fit and well or if you become unwell and have money. I do not think that Australia cares for the most vulnerable in society as well as the UK does. We are living in a city and I can only imagine that support systems are less in the country areas.

There are lots of positives about Australia and I am sad to leave but for us the UK is calling!! I can honestly say that we have had the best and worst of times here and will appreciate various aspects of the UK more for our experience.

Linda

To return to title of thread - 1 reason to leave Australia - General unhappiness.

This is an absolutely perfect summary and is exactly how we feel.

We came for a better life. We didn't find it. I have no problem with that at all!

And that is not to say others wont find a better life here.

You are so right!

But I think that is sort of what we came for: a more simple and straightforward life, and then we were shocked to discover the place was full of straightforward people who, in my experience, only get excited about Aussie Rules. They (Australians) even claim to not be interested in the Olympics "oh Im so over it, its boring" due to the fact they did not do very well.

I find it unbelievably boring (in spite of one of my favourite quotes being "only boring people get bored").

Granted Australia has some amazing places, world class, but when you come here and work its not like a 3 week holiday diving off the Great Barrier Reef, wondering around Ayers Rock, drinking coffee looking at Sydney harbour and sailing in the whitsundays......the reality is a population that generally do not really do conversation (except about Aussie Rules) and towns so far apart and when you get to a new one you find its identical to the one you just left.

I have to agree blobby. We have pr but as yet haven't moved over. We have been to oz twice on holiday & think it's a lovely place to visit but the things you have said are the way we anticipate we would feel if we live there. Not sure it's worth it (for us) to even bother going to live there, even just for a while.

31 years gives your post a lot of kudos...people should read it.

I have to agree blobby. We have pr but as yet haven't moved over. We have been to oz twice on holiday & think it's a lovely place to visit but the things you have said are the way we anticipate we would feel if we live there. Not sure it's worth it (for us) to even bother going to live there, even just for a while.

When I lived in England (from 96-08), I always loved going to Newquay because it reminded me of Sydney beaches with the surf beaches and lifesavers. I bought some Pommie surf mags for my surfie mate, Bill. The only thing I did not like was the water - freezing! Made The Solent seem tropical by comparison. I swim all year round in Sydney and the water in August reminds me of Newquay in August.

It seems a shame not to come over here and give it a try. You don't have to be obsessed by football, Aussie Rules, or otherwise, although, particularly in Melbourne, it helps! I believe there is an 'anti-football league in Melbourne! (fair dinkum! aka straight up!)

Following a local footie club, whichever code you choose, is a way of 'blending in'. As the rugby league and 'Rules' seasons come to their climax the football seasons are both just about to start. I went to see the Swans play Collingwood on Sat night at the Olympic Stadium with two Aussie mates and 'Tom' a 'new chum' who has only been here nine weeks from London. I can't believe how well he's settled in too. He's more of a local than me, who came here in 1978.

I've got plenty of friends who get by without the slightest interest in football or any other sport. They spend their lives in more 'intellectual' pursuits - theatre, opera, film festivals, writing festivals. I see there's the Israeli film festival here this month and Sydney Fringe Festival next month. 'Death of a Salesman' is on a sold out season at Belvoir St theatre next door to my flat.

Despite what Blobby says about food, I can't believe Melbourne, being the same size as Sydney, and just as much a melting pot, does not have a huge choice of 'United Nations' food. Within five minutes walk of my flat I can eat Indian, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Turkish, Lebanese, Spanish, South American. The pubs all do excellent food too, had a very good rump steak for $12.50 in the Strawbo Hotel on Friday night, roast beef on Sunday at the Trinity for $20. The only thing I can't get here is a bloody Macca.

Nothing wrong with the food in the decent restaurants I am sure.

Its all very well talking about all the stuff Melbourne has to offer with festivals etc, I agree, but what about if you have kids? There is nothing for them to do in suburban Melbourne beyond what they could do in surburban UK, and you cant really take 5 year olds to literature festivals.

I do think Melbourne would be a reasonable place to live for a child free couple or a single person but with kids it just sucks

When I lived in England (from 96-08), I always loved going to Newquay because it reminded me of Sydney beaches with the surf beaches and lifesavers. I bought some Pommie surf mags for my surfie mate, Bill. The only thing I did not like was the water - freezing! Made The Solent seem tropical by comparison. I swim all year round in Sydney and the water in August reminds me of Newquay in August.

It seems a shame not to come over here and give it a try. You don't have to be obsessed by football, Aussie Rules, or otherwise, although, particularly in Melbourne, it helps! I believe there is an 'anti-football league in Melbourne! (fair dinkum! aka straight up!)

Following a local footie club, whichever code you choose, is a way of 'blending in'. As the rugby league and 'Rules' seasons come to their climax the football seasons are both just about to start. I went to see the Swans play Collingwood on Sat night at the Olympic Stadium with two Aussie mates and 'Tom' a 'new chum' who has only been here nine weeks from London. I can't believe how well he's settled in too. He's more of a local than me, who came here in 1978.

I've got plenty of friends who get by without the slightest interest in football or any other sport. They spend their lives in more 'intellectual' pursuits - theatre, opera, film festivals, writing festivals. I see there's the Israeli film festival here this month and Sydney Fringe Festival next month. 'Death of a Salesman' is on a sold out season at Belvoir St theatre next door to my flat.

Despite what Blobby says about food, I can't believe Melbourne, being the same size as Sydney, and just as much a melting pot, does not have a huge choice of 'United Nations' food. Within five minutes walk of my flat I can eat Indian, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Turkish, Lebanese, Spanish, South American. The pubs all do excellent food too, had a very good rump steak for $12.50 in the Strawbo Hotel on Friday night, roast beef on Sunday at the Trinity for $20. The only thing I can't get here is a bloody Macca.

You see "Tom" is the sort of person a pom in oz will meet all the time and I just cant comprehend it. "Tom" has been in Australia 9 weeks and is already an Aussie! So this means, like many new Brits here, within 9 weeks he has started raising his sentences at the end, saying "arvo" and "how you going?" instead of "Afternoon" and "How you doing?" and suddenly loves Aussie Rules, he probably says "rocked up" instead of "showed up" he probably calls his shift pattern a "roster" and drives down the "highway" I expect he shortens all his words as well.

Really I do truly believe in order to fit in over here you have to "do a Tom", you have to lose yourself, forget who you are and turn into an Australian immediately. I have seen it so many times! It just seems so untrue to the last 30 years of your life........

You see "Tom" is the sort of person a pom in oz will meet all the time and I just cant comprehend it. "Tom" has been in Australia 9 weeks and is already an Aussie! So this means, like many new Brits here, within 9 weeks he has started raising his sentences at the end, saying "arvo" and "how you going?" instead of "Afternoon" and "How you doing?" and suddenly loves Aussie Rules, he probably says "rocked up" instead of "showed up" he probably calls his shift pattern a "roster" and drives down the "highway" I expect he shortens all his words as well.

Really I do truly believe in order to fit in over here you have to "do a Tom", you have to lose yourself, forget who you are and turn into an Australian immediately. I have seen it so many times! It just seems so untrue to the last 30 years of your life........

Must disagree. I have met so many people who have not done what you have suggested and fit in very well. In fact I don't even fit into a lot of your stereotype and I'm Australian.

Guest Shell15

..or another way of looking at it is.. maybe its you who feels that by doing all the things that Tom does, only then will 'You' feel like you fit in? Just an observation. Those who go out and just be themselves are the ones who are accepted imo, if you try to be something you are not.. then I dont think you will fit in any where to be honest. Which is a shame really.. My oh is born and bred South London, he stays true to that.. and the Aussies love him!! Take the piss out of him lol but love him ;) Good luck with what ever your doing or where ever your going..

Edited by Shell15