Reasons to leave OZ

exiled in Wales

Back on thread# Reasons to leave OZ (Perth)... over taxed, everything over priced, service non exsistent, not much development to take advantage of the great coastline (the one jewel Perth has), narrow mindedness, catch up if you can'...but never will' infrastructure,speed cameras everywhere,dangerous drivers , cant get Taxis, soul destroying traffic light sytems, outdated airport, under acheiving rail system.....the nuanses are plenty, but leaving behind loved ones & lifelong friends for what basically amounts to great weather & beaches??!!. I agree the UK has some of the above problems, but in our situation, we had spare cash over after living costs & Tax were paid to enjoy 3-4 overseas holidays & still save, here we can just about muster enough cash to visit our loved ones every 3 years & I am a tradie (dont believe the hype- $60-$80 grand is the norm, not alot left after tax etc) & my wife is a Investigator & we have no kids.

Totally agree with you on all points, you know the 2.2 gang will be after you now...!

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who the hell are the 2.2 gang??:policeman:

A group of people who live in the uk and try to tell you that things are the same price here as they are in England because of this 2.2 conversion rate they use, you know ' your earn 2.2 times more in oz than the uk' that old rubbish. There are a lot of people with rose tinted glasses on who are in for one massive shock when they land in Perth ...I earn over 100000 and struggle here ..

A group of people who live in the uk and try to tell you that things are the same price here as they are in England because of this 2.2 conversion rate they use, you know ' your earn 2.2 times more in oz than the uk' that old rubbish. There are a lot of people with rose tinted glasses on who are in for one massive shock when they land in Perth ...I earn over 100000 and struggle here ..

A group of one mate

100 grand? I could live like three kings in Sydney on that. I struggle on $25,000 and live very comfortably on $50,000 (with no mortgage/rent to pay.)

What did I spend yesterday? $8.80 for a return ticket to Penrith from the City - off peak - to go 55k

Three schooners and a lemonade in the Royal Exhibition Hotel $25 plus $10 for steak and chips, one more schooner for $6.40 - dearer as it was Fat Yak.

$4.50 for a large coffee in the Bakery cafe in Westfield, Penrith.

How the **** am I supposed to be able to compare them to UK prices when I can't remember, and more importantly couldn't care less. How can anyone live here and keep being able to compare prices 'back home'. (they'll be watching and waiting to see what we can do????) unless they are constantly on UK websites looking at prices?

Maybe THEY constitute the 2.2 club!?!?

100 grand? I could live like three kings in Sydney on that. I struggle on $25,000 and live very comfortably on $50,000 (with no mortgage/rent to pay.)

What did I spend yesterday? $8.80 for a return ticket to Penrith from the City - off peak - to go 55k

Three schooners and a lemonade in the Royal Exhibition Hotel $25 plus $10 for steak and chips, one more schooner for $6.40 - dearer as it was Fat Yak.

$4.50 for a large coffee in the Bakery cafe in Westfield, Penrith.

How the **** am I supposed to be able to compare them to UK prices when I can't remember, and more importantly couldn't care less. How can anyone live here and keep being able to compare prices 'back home'. (they'll be watching and waiting to see what we can do????) unless they are constantly on UK websites looking at prices?

Maybe THEY constitute the 2.2 club!?!?

perhaps he has kids to support

The other big expense you don't have, Dave, to be fair, is anything for housing - you own a flat with no mortgage

That's the single biggest cost for most people right there[to live on 25000 dollars you must be of the tree hugging dreadlock haired type of character . No offence ment

Tree hugger! Worse than being called a Gooner! Next you'll be accusing me of liking Q & A & believing in global warming!

I reckon to live well in Sydney AND pay a mortgage/rent, I would need to be taking home $1,000 per week, although I am nowhere near as thrifty as I could be. No, that's not true. I take my own lunch to work and have three or four dinners at home but I do like to eat out and to have a couple of schooners most nights.

I say $1,000, assuming I was paying $500 per week to rent this flat of mine in Surry Hills but perhaps it would be less and I don't know what I'd be paying for a mortgage. It was tough at times in the late 80's / early 90's when I bought the unit, paying up to 17.5 per cent.

Now that I am working and taking home another $500 per week to add on to my regular income of about $300, I am on easy street, but I still owe $4,000 on my VISA from when I wasn't working and using it as a cash card - beyond idiotic, I know.

There's an article on the front page of the SMH today about so called 'Diamond' women, I think, single 'sheila's' in their 20's, 30's, 40's, who earn $100,000 plus and live in the inner city, living the good life.

Come to think of it, I don't need $1000! I 'only' need $800!

I do economise - my unit needs doing up, hasn't been updated since I bought it in 1987, I drive a 1993 Corolla with 312,000k on the clock, buy most of my clothes in charity shops. Mind you, I only buy designer gear, got a Paul Smith jacket for $10 that I'm very proud of.

I was doing OK in England taking home 300 quid a week, again with no mortgage to pay. I would have thought that if you are in debt, it does not matter where you live?

Just realized my math is ****! $800 a week take home, paying $500 rent/mortgage - back to penury on $300 a week!

Edited by MARYROSE02
My maths is ****

Guest fallguy

when I used to be on over 100 grand (for four of my six years here) the tax man took most of it!! whats your story Paul, you stayin? The 2.2 days are well & truly over for me, I am heading back whilst I can make a nice little earner with the exchange rate because I think OZ is going to have its downturn (Perth probably wont though!!):twitcy::em3600:

They are correct and you must be very frivolous.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Home bound

To be honest, your "home" is in Australia, what you should say is your Migrating to the U.K :-)

Oddly enough though, allegedly there has been a 40% drop in Oz Migrant workers in the UK as they have all returned home because of the better wages and conditions.

It sure is a Topsy turvy world.

To be honest, your "home" is in Australia, what you should say is your Migrating to the U.K :-)

Oddly enough though, allegedly there has been a 40% drop in Oz Migrant workers in the UK as they have all returned home because of the better wages and conditions.

It sure is a Topsy turvy world.

So true and when Australia goes into recession they will all flock back,I'm working with lots of lads in there 20s and are all waiting for the uk to recover so they can move there... Most don't like Australia and there born and bread here

Gotta love the "Oz is heading for a recession" brigade.

If it wasn't for WA it would be as bad as Europe, take WA away and the other half is in recession, a lot of mining projects are about to finish and many have been shelved .. It's coming and it's going to be messy, lots and lots with 100% mortgages here, we've been there before haven't we...

Oh so the whole countries moving to Darwin...?

Yup, so if you want to make some money, stay and start a removals business :-)

We have been in Perth, 4 7 weeks now we stayed with family,if we didn't have any family to stay with we could not of afforded the cost of hotels etc all of which really expensive,

We have our own rental, at the mo which is lovely, my husband is a brickie and got work straight away I on the other hand never, still looking and it's drivin me mad, u get help with childcare depending on your visas which is a good help, wages are a lot more than the uk the food is a little bit more expensive but nothing to bad, furniture is good tho around the same price if not cheaper,

U just need to be driven, and determined to want this, and very well organise, research research research and save save save the more money you Hav the vpbetter off you will be, and as soon as u start earning dollars that's the big difference,

louise.

digitalis looks to be a troll judging by the other posts,

I don't find that to be so, but if that is what you believe then you should report it and let management know .