Occupation ceiling announced

walkwater

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9000 for Electricians which is one of the highest numbers I can see on there but I don't think it will take long to achieve that number?

Not sure what to think about that.

I'm also not sure what to do - whether to place our EOI or whether I'm supposed to wait to hear back on our state sponsorship first?

Any advice would be appreciated.

When can we lodge the EOI?

Thanks

You don't have to wait for the SS, but it will give you more points. Whether you do or don't have it you will now have to submit an EOI as you'll be applying through the new system. If I were you I would get SS before you apply as you will have more points-the new system doesn't work on a first come first serve basis, the more points the better.

Wouldn't surprise me if there are a few inaccuracies within the list as there is some duplication when you scroll down to the bottom.

Hi walkwater

Thanks for your reply. Does that mean I don't need to lodge the EOI?

No, you still need to lodge an EOI, but in the EOI select the state to which you have applied for sponsorship. Only Vic had started accepting application for sponsorship for 190 even before skill select went live.

WA requires that you first submit an EOI and then apply to them for sponsorship. As far as QLD is concerned, you have to lodge the EOI and then if you have selected QLD, they will contact you if they want to sponsor.

So if you can specify which state you applied for sponsorship and when you submitted the application, I can perhaps help to clear your doubt..

You don't have to wait for the SS, but it will give you more points. Whether you do or don't have it you will now have to submit an EOI as you'll be applying through the new system. If I were you I would get SS before you apply as you will have more points-the new system doesn't work on a first come first serve basis, the more points the better.

Rachel, think you have got it wrong. Points for SS will only count for a 190 visa and 190 is not ranked. Invitation will be issued irrespective of the points subject to the occupation ceiling if sponsored by a State.

And States (WA and QLD as far as I know) require you to first lodge an EOI before applying for sponsorship.

Sigh, I'm officially screwed. I've got 65 points and I entered my EOI with my ID in the 3000s. I've been assessed as an Electrical Engineer. What wants to guess how many EEs have already applied?

With a ceiling of 1260, my chances are nill. I should've submitted a 175 when I had the chance! :no:

I'm confused by your statement, you at least have a positive skills assessment, so finger crossed a state OR an employer will sponsor you. Stay positive :)

7140 carpenters and joiners can't see that taking long to fill:err:

I have done my calculations as OH is too a carpenter, Now even if Vettasses did a practical every week 10 PAX max are on the courses X 4 = 40 per month = 480 PAX per year. This is only in the UK so now times it for other countries would be 14 or 15 countries all doing maximum Vet practicals per year to meet the ceiling... Thats actually alot and i dont think it will fill too quickly.

7140 carpenters and joiners can't see that taking long to fill:err:

Thats a bit worrying richie,have you lodged your application yet im probably about a month away from lodging mine just got my practical to do first in a couple of weeks. do you know how many chipies they let in last year?

Rachel, think you have got it wrong. Points for SS will only count for a 190 visa and 190 is not ranked. Invitation will be issued irrespective of the points subject to the occupation ceiling if sponsored by a State.

And States (WA and QLD as far as I know) require you to first lodge an EOI before applying for sponsorship.

You clearly know more about it then me, I last looked at the process prior to it coming in and decided to lodge 175 instead of submitting an EOI. Glad I did now as on another thread 175 are only taking between 3-4 months to grant. Fingers crossed:biggrin:

Guest yafetberhe
I'm confused by your statement, you at least have a positive skills assessment, so finger crossed a state OR an employer will sponsor you. Stay positive :)

Sorry, I should've been a little more descriptive. Yes, I have a positive skills assessment but the ceiling for Electrical Engineers is rather low. And since I only have 65 points, my negative brain is telling me that stronger applicants with the same skills assessments and higher IELTS and DIAC points will wipe the floor with me!

I actually had several days before July 1 to submit a 175. But, having received a negative response for VIC SS, my confidence was a little shot and I didn't want to just drop $3K for a 175 if there was a strong possibility that it would be denied. I reasoned that I'd rather have an invite through SkillSelect before I put in a visa app.

Anyways, I made my bed...

Thats a bit worrying richie,have you lodged your application yet im probably about a month away from lodging mine just got my practical to do first in a couple of weeks. do you know how many chipies they let in last year?

Waiting for my skills assesment result to come through mate. Should be able to lodge next weekend if all goes to plan

Guest rrwilky

How did you find out how many people had been let in for each occupation last year, am crapping myself about this EOI if I'm honest :(

How did you find out how many people had been let in for each occupation last year, am crapping myself about this EOI if I'm honest :(

It is making everyone feel uneasy as it is the "unknown".

I have just been sitting here thinking, it's a very callous system. Before, you would submit your application and someone would look at your criteria. This way it seems that the person with the most amount of points is going to get an invitation, but they may not necessarily be the best person out of the pool of people in that occupation.

Sorry, I should've been a little more descriptive. Yes, I have a positive skills assessment but the ceiling for Electrical Engineers is rather low. And since I only have 65 points, my negative brain is telling me that stronger applicants with the same skills assessments and higher IELTS and DIAC points will wipe the floor with me!

I actually had several days before July 1 to submit a 175. But, having received a negative response for VIC SS, my confidence was a little shot and I didn't want to just drop $3K for a 175 if there was a strong possibility that it would be denied. I reasoned that I'd rather have an invite through SkillSelect before I put in a visa app.

Anyways, I made my bed...

I did warn you!!!

Guest yafetberhe
I did warn you!!!

Yes, you did indeed. It was less than eight hours ago that I could've still submitted a 175 app. But, when the time came, I just couldn't put my money where my mouth was. After all, it's not like I'm trying to escape a dreaded life here - not by a very long shot (in fact, if I told you my story, you'd think I was crazy for even thinking of moving away). But something about Oz really got to me and I thought I'd give it a swing. And since I'm within the first 3000 EOIs (it's now already reached +10K) who's actually completed an EOI with a positive assessment and IELTS, I like my odds.

If it doesn't work out, then I saved myself a small fortune.