Career Break - Your thoughts, or what would you do?

obxer7

Myself and my partner are hoping to apply for a visa very soon. We want to emigrate on a permanant basis but we are well aware that sometimes it doesn't work for people.

My work allows me to apply for a career break for up to 3 years. I am considering doing this as a fall back, just incase it doesn't work.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on this. In my mind it seems like a get out if we aren't settling in well, but I know how hard it is to get a job in my field here in the UK so would rather keep my job open in the unlikely event that we can't settle.

I am wondering what other people would do.

its a fantastic thing to do. i am in the same boat and going to apply for one aswell BUT. you can apply for up to 5 years in the NHS (which i work for) but they dont need to give you all your asking for plus you need to prove its JUST a break and that you will be coming back or they can refuse it. im applying for 5 years but i will be very happy if i get 2

hope this helps

Have you been to Australia before. I would take the career break - people usually say that it takes about 2 years to settle, so by 3 years you may feel you would know if you want to stay or not. But it might work against you as you might not try as hard to settle as you can always go back.

It depends what you want to get from Australia.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I have got a career break as well from the prison service, but with all the cuts and job losses, i am not 100% confident, they will honour it, but ..... its better than nothing.

Guest Levimouse

I agree with everyone else. I should be able to take a career break from my work too. I don't see this as having a get out as I want the move to Australia to work and so will try my hardest to make it so. However, you never know what will happen in the future and it would be lovely to have a safety net should I need to come back.

Go for t but please please make sure you can get your old job back as a lot return to the UK.

I am a teacher, if I take a 3 year career break I am guarenteed a job with my council, if I take 2 years I am guarenteed a job back in my school.

Have you been to Australia before. I would take the career break - people usually say that it takes about 2 years to settle, so by 3 years you may feel you would know if you want to stay or not. But it might work against you as you might not try as hard to settle as you can always go back.

It depends what you want to get from Australia.

I have been to Australia on holiday for 6 weeks, my OH has never been although his family live in New Zealand and he liked it there. We are wanting the best possible start for our daughter.

I know what you mean about being hard to settle as we have "an out" but job security is much better!

I am in nhs and am considering a 2 year career break as opposed to longer because A. up to one year they have to hold my job for me. 2. If it hasnt worked out in 2 years the n I will come back. 3. In nhs after the first year they only have to offer me a job of the same skills I am matched to and having been in nhs for years at a senior level and watched people shafted around me know this could be an any job pay protected for a while...I am meeting HR on tuesday to clarify some things in the career break and as long as I keep in touch with manager they do not need any other proof of return... In this day and age I would suggest you dont burn your bridges as there is no need to when the option is available to have some work guaranteed if you decide to return :)

I think career breaks are sensible options - do look though at the small print. I know the trust that I worked offered 5 years, if you returned after 1 year - you walked back into your job, after that they couldn't say they could give you the exact same job/same dept.

I have enquired about a career break (NHS) and HR have told me I can only have one if I do not work for the period of the career break. As my manager is supplying references they know I'll be working so I haven't pushed this - should I?

Have any of you who work for the NHS been told this?

I have enquired about a career break (NHS) and HR have told me I can only have one if I do not work for the period of the career break. As my manager is supplying references they know I'll be working so I haven't pushed this - should I?

have you looked at the policy? certainly the trust i work for does not say this. i would check the policy first and then decide what you need to ask HR etc..

i know this is the policy that HR will quote BUT you canargue that by working in a different environment you are increasing yourKnowledge and Skills (KSF) without having to pay you. in fact it is benefitingthem to give you your 2 year break. you need to tell them that you are comingback to work for them, hence it is a break.

Hi, all I would say is make sure you read the small print of the career break. I work for the NHS in HR and we do stipulate that people should not work whilst on a career break as in the true sense of the phrase its a break from your career! If you can work that I would go for it. I'm not taking the option as mine is really clear I can't work and I can't go to Oz without working (unfortunately :wink:!).

Good luck!

Ali

Hi, all I would say is make sure you read the small print of the career break. I work for the NHS in HR and we do stipulate that people should not work whilst on a career break as in the true sense of the phrase its a break from your career! If you can work that I would go for it. I'm not taking the option as mine is really clear I can't work and I can't go to Oz without working (unfortunately :wink:!).

Good luck!

Ali

I am really lucky to work for the trust I work for then! I wouldnt be able to work in the Uk on a career break but am able to work abroad. Marion

ok I met with the HR director today. Our policy specifically says that i can work overseas if it benefits my learning experience ... She is surprised that other NHS trusts have policies that do not say that and confirms that i would not be allowed to just leave my job and work in uk... if you read our policy it might appear that not being allowed to work is misunderstood as it has conditions and working abroad is one of them.. I hope it works out for others

the job isnt guaranteed after first year but my manager has agreed to not fill the vacancy for the two years with a permanent post so its a relief.. I am meeting with pension department tomorrow now that may not be as good! good luck with your hr x

Archived