Britchick and Pommypaul's Travels Part 2

BritChickx

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...today was interesting! We booked tickets online to do the shotover jet boat ride....turned up at 11 and said it was cancelled as it had been rain heavily last night and the rivers were flooded....so we re booked for 1.45 as they said it may be re opened then....turned up and still wasn't so we got a refund. We were both very disappointed as was looking forward to it and could have done other stuff with our day.... There was another jet boat company, who offered a similar ride and the ride was for twice as long for cheaper, so we hopped onto that, and omg, so much fun! We were sat at the back and I was by the edge of the boat....and i got SOAKED lol. Looked like i'd pissed myself once I got off! Was really fun tho would definately do it again, they take you to shotover river and back and in between do a few little tricks and 360 degree turns...felt sorry for the girl on the other end of our row as the driver was spinning in their direction lol. Didn't take the camera so only have this little pic....!

jetboat.jpg

We've also been toying with the idea of moving over to Perth instead of the Sunny Coast, we really liked Perth and were stuck between the 2, perhaps Perth will have better job prospects for us and obviously I know i'd be able to go college and/or uni there! we'll see how things go. Got to start the visa process first!

jetboat.jpg

been having an awesome time in nz with my lovely lady :D be glad when all this visa stuff gets going though and we can start planning our lives back in the land of downunder :)

on topic.... off to milford sound tomorrow and a lovely scenic 5 hr drive in our camper through the hills, then invercargill and onto dunedin before we start wwoofing and sorting out are spending budget lol. definately having a blast!

I love Perth, I haven't been to the Sunny Coast, but been Perth twice as we have family there and Sydney once. When I was looking at applying for a visa was looking at going over to Perth. The boat ride sounds fun :D It's great you guys are living the dream and making the most of your lives! Have you guys felt many earthquakes?

Paul felt one when we first landed...I didn't as i was asleep lol. And we both felt a little wobble in our camper when we were in Kaikoura!

Oooooooh! Too much information:biglaugh:

After leaving Queenstown yesterday we headed to Milford Sound! The weather forecast was right - rain rain and more flipping rain! So we got there at around 2pm and couldn't do anything cos it was raining. This morning we headed out to the port to go onto our cruise to see Milford Sound, which included lunch and a pass to Milford Discovery Centre. The clouds were grey and it was drizzling and snowing on and off but we had loads of fun! Saw some cool waterfalls and mountains...and wait for it....DOLPHINS! And seals :D Got a proper chufty on, the skipper pointed it out and I almost knocked my tea over I was that excited lol, ran to the front of the boat, 2 were swimming just beneath the surface of the water and Paul managed to get a good snap of one! In fact all of these are Pauls photos today, because his camera's better, booo lol. After we decided it isn't ever gonna stop raining so headed to invercargill, the almost very south of the south island! When we checked in the guy said we can see the Southern Lights from here.....got another chufty on as always wanted to see them lol! Gonna go out in a min to see if we can see anything....fingers crossed eh! Here's some snaps from todays adventures.

DSC00814.jpg

DSC00747.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00789.jpg

DSC00747.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00789.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

Lol Stace i did think of you when i saw the dolphin! I know you're dying to see a kiwi bird lol, we are too can't find any yet tho, trying to spot some penguins too!

and thanks everyone for the likes and comments we appreciate it!

as long as it wasnt a whale that you saw and then thought of me!! lol if you can get a penguin pic then that'll do till you find a kiwi bird! then i can show dave it, he loves penguins!

Thanks guys!

So since our milford sound cruise, we headed to invercargill a day early, stopped there over night and had a look around Queens park in the morning, there isn't a great deal to see or do I don't think tbh, so after lunch we continued to Dunedin. Yesterday was our first whole day here and we drove around Otago Peninsula which is meant to be great for seeing wildlife....except you have to pay for your guides to see anything....so we didn't go.... After that we had a look around some Chinese Gardens, lol which was good but nto as good as it could be in summer! We've come at the wrong time I think lol. Afterwards we bought some beer and food and came back and chilled in our camper! This morning we don't know where we're heading to....just gonna see where we end up!

.....we drove a little....and ended up in Oamaru! Home of the blue and yellow eyed penguins, and seals too! Before we got here we come across the Moeraki Boulders, which were cool! Stumbled across an unknown dead fish which i'll put on another thread so someone can identify it! lol. Then we pulled up at blue penguin colony which you have to pay to get in, paid $20 for 2 of us to get in to see them whilst they're laying about/sleeping in their huts, saw 6 which were cool but couldn't see them clearly nor take pictures of them! They also had a tour at dusk to view them coming in from sea but we decided not to, as we had read about a place called Bushy Beach up the road that has a yellow eyes penguin colony. We discovered it was free, so at 4pm we drove down there and waited with the other tourists to catch a glimpse! You're nto allowed onto the beach after 3pm so as to not disrupt the penguins but there were 2 viewing platforms, bearing in mind it's on a hill/cliff maybe 50-60 metres up from sea level. We saw a few penguins coming onto the shore and waddling their way into the bushes, took a few snaps, then out of no where this penguin appears about 5 metres from us by the bushes, snap snap snap! Was really amazing seeing the penguin close up and not just seeing it through the zoom lense! We also saw some seals aswell, but to see the rare yellow eyed penguin is a must! Very glad we stopped here. Stacey don't get too excited lol!! Here's a few pics!!

P7200462.jpg

P7190439 (800x600).jpg

P7190440 (800x600).jpg

P7200453 (800x600).jpg

P7200458 (800x600).jpg

P7190439 (800x600).jpg

P7190440 (800x600).jpg

P7200453 (800x600).jpg

P7200458 (800x600).jpg

P7200462.jpg

Loving reading about your travels. We visited most of the places you have been to a few years ago, so your photos have reminded me of our holiday, especially the helicopter ride over Franz Joseph glacier.

Me again! Just thought i'd give a little update....me and Paul stayed in Christchurch last night and today drove to Picton, decided not to go ahead with the wwoofing just yet we're hoping to stay here for a week and wait to hear anything back about work, and apply for work on the north island, if we don't hear anything back we're gonna go to the north island next weekend, though i'm sure we'll change our minds about something lol. Paul treated us to a hotel room tonight, it's good to watch actual TV lol!

Archived