Britchick and Pommypaul's Travels Part 2

BritChickx

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here we are back in Christchuch! And what a long day!

We drove 2 hours from Hanmer Springs, filled up the gas and petrol, stopped off to buy our campervan, which is coool :D put all our gear in it and then drove to the hire campers to return the campervan! Gonna miss the loo and shower in it lol! Not so much the shower actually cos it took bliming ages to get the hot water going. Oh yeah forgot to mention that we went to maccers before this and had to be evacuated lol the fire alarm went off....i'm sure someone just burnt a burger or 2 no smoke or fire was seen lol. I heard someone getting chuft that they got a free meal cos of it haha.

So anyway after we dropped off the hire camper we TREKKED back to our newly bought campervan, it's a 1995 toyota hiace, no shower or toilet in this one! But has a sink, cooker, double bed and looots of storage! We went to the shops and bought everything and anything needed for it, pots, pans, bedding, heater, BEER etc lol. Took a while to get everything set up and now at 6pm we're all done and dusted! Gonna spend the evening chilling out....i'll probably be asleep in an hour lol. We nicknamed our camper Chris after Saint Christopher :D

Thats me just caught up with your thread. How cold is it actually? would we find it cold or is it just similar to scottish winters? definitely visit dunedin, i've heard only very good stuff about it. when we were speaking to a kiwi company at a expo in england they said that was the place for us to move to lol i assume its because its very scottish

I bought thermal socks....and PJS! and a new thicker waterproof coat.....my other one was naff.

Stace it's cold!! It's dropping below 0 nearly every night.....certainly will be down south. you'll be alright if you're staying in a house or flat tho, we'reonly extra cold cos we're in the camper!

Guest Longtime Lurker
I bought thermal socks....and PJS! and a new thicker waterproof coat.....my other one was naff.

Stace it's cold!! It's dropping below 0 nearly every night.....certainly will be down south. you'll be alright if you're staying in a house or flat tho, we'reonly extra cold cos we're in the camper!

Yes, fashionable and sexy go out of the window when you are cold!

I know! We bought a hallogen heater aswell which I know gets you quite warm but we didn't leave on last night....too paranoid about it catching fire or something even tho I know it wouldn't! We have 2 duvets lol was warm under but freezing when you stuck a foot out of the cover! Paul says i need to 'man up' lol but he's always warmer than me anyway!

Guest Longtime Lurker
I know! We bought a hallogen heater aswell which I know gets you quite warm but we didn't leave on last night....too paranoid about it catching fire or something even tho I know it wouldn't! We have 2 duvets lol was warm under but freezing when you stuck a foot out of the cover! Paul says i need to 'man up' lol but he's always warmer than me anyway!

On a serious note; I hope you have bought a fire extinguisher for the campervan - one of those multi types for different fires. You can tell I have suffered far too many annual fire refresher training courses at work! Better to be safe.

This morning we left Christchurch with Chris the camper! Paul was concerned that the fuel gauge was broken as it said it had a full tank, but it went down, the bloke who we bought it off must have been generous lol. We spent the day driving through the mountains and Arthurs Pass NP. V v scenic drive! We stopped at a few places along the way, took a snap or 100! Saw some cute little birdies along our journey, if anyone knows what they are please tell! They look like Parrots (to me). We're now in Greymouth, on the west coast of south new zealand! Just a little rest stop before we continue our journey to Franz Josef and Fox Glacier :D

P7100139 (800x600).jpg

1. Chris the camper 2. Lake Pearson 3. Arthurs Pass. 4. Snowy mountains. 5. Birdie!

P7090107 (800x600).jpg

P7100123 (800x600).jpg

P7100128 (800x600).jpg

P7100135 (800x600).jpg

P7090107 (800x600).jpg

P7100123 (800x600).jpg

P7100128 (800x600).jpg

P7100135 (800x600).jpg

P7100139 (800x600).jpg

Guest Longtime Lurker
Birdie is a Kea

Are those the ones seen on the BBC Wild Down Under that strip the rubber from vehicles? If I recall correctly, the narrator described them as the delinquents of the bird world!

Edited by Longtime Lurker

Guest Longtime Lurker
Haha those are the ones! They took a nip out of our tyres![ATTACH=CONFIG]15434[/ATTACH]

On the series they managed to strip the rubber seal around the windows as well as the wipers!

O.M.G! Possibly the best day EVER! We rocked up at Franz Josef, as we checked in Paul booked us a last minute helicopter ride, to go over the Franz josef and Fox (and stop on the snow by one of them) Glaciers....when we got there, we got a FREE upgrade to also do this plus go fly over mount cook....mount cook is the biggest mountain in Australiasia....Got sooo chuffed that we got a free upgrade, it would have cost 200 dollars more if we had paid the full amount! The ride was 40 mins in total including stopping on the snow for 5 mins, the views were just amazing, I can't think of anything better than what we saw/done! I wanted to post all the pictures but can't so i've picked some of the best ones....and hope to get a vid up here soon.....enjoy!!! :)

P7110168 (800x600).jpg

flying towards franz josef glacier

P7110173.jpg

flying over franz josef glacier

P7110189 (800x600).jpg

P7110177 (800x600).jpg

P7110180 (800x600).jpg

P7110168 (800x600).jpg

P7110173.jpg

P7110177 (800x600).jpg

P7110180 (800x600).jpg

P7110189 (800x600).jpg