Aussies are appalling and dangerous drivers

rikyuu

Guest The Pom Queen
So the thousands of driving schools throughout Australia don't actually have any students?

And now we know why Oz driving is so bad, what is the reason in the UK...as the fatality rate is hardly much better.

You have to admit though not many young ones use an instructor for their 100 hours it would cost them a fortune.

You can't really say that the fatality rate isn't much different because it's like comparing chalk with cheese,

In the Uk there were 31,035,791 cars on the road in 2009 in AUS for the same period it was 16 million (this includes bikes which the UK doesn't)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to admit though not many young ones use an instructor for their 100 hours it would cost them a fortune.

You can't really say that the fatality rate isn't much different because it's like comparing chalk with cheese,

In the Uk there were 31,035,791 cars on the road in 2009 in AUS for the same period it was 16 million (this includes bikes which the UK doesn't)

Re learners - not for all their 100 hours. But most learner drivers use professional driver instructors for part of their learning period.

They must do: there are thousands of driving schools around.

Fewer cars in Oz but more miles driven per car. So I used the "deaths per billion vehicle-miles" statistic as the fairest comparison. And that is 5.7 (UK) and 5.8 (Australia).

You are in Aus now mate with different road rules. You just need to adapt and chill out a bit. From experience when driving in the UK I used to get on the motorway and everyone would head straight into the outside lane and go as fast as the person in front would let them. I found this totally frustrating as it only took one person deciding to tootle along in the outside lane at 60 and everyone else behind them had to do the same thing. At least here you just nip into the next lane and overtake.

It's great when you get used to it. I've been here 20 years and had one accident. That was when some young kid on P plates ran into the back of me distracted by the girl joggers on West Coast Highway.

Guest The Pom Queen
Re learners - not for all their 100 hours. But most learner drivers use professional driver instructors for part of their learning period.

They must do: there are thousands of driving schools around.

Fewer cars in Oz but more miles driven per car. So I used the "deaths per billion vehicle-miles" statistic as the fairest comparison. And that is 5.7 (UK) and 5.8 (Australia).

Maybe everywhere is different re L's my son has just gone through this along with over 20 friends and he was the only one who used an instructor which he did for 3 hours only because I can't parallel park to save my life. We have a PIO member who is a driving instructor, has done it for 25 years in the UK moved to Melbourne and couldn't get the work

I still don't think we can compare Oz v UK for fatalities, I could drive a 1000k now easy on good roads and not pass another car, plus weather has a lot to do with accidents especially freezing fog, black ice, snow most of which we don't really get in 95% of Oz.

Guest The Pom Queen
You are in Aus now mate with different road rules. You just need to adapt and chill out a bit. From experience when driving in the UK I used to get on the motorway and everyone would head straight into the outside lane and go as fast as the person in front would let them. I found this totally frustrating as it only took one person deciding to tootle along in the outside lane at 60 and everyone else behind them had to do the same thing. At least here you just nip into the next lane and overtake.

It's great when you get used to it. I've been here 20 years and had one accident. That was when some young kid on P plates ran into the back of me distracted by the girl joggers on West Coast Highway.

Now are you sure it was young P plater and not you slowing down to check out the female jogger :tongue:

Guest Guest66881

I had this issue when we first arrived here, but now it's a case of just shutting ones eyes and manoeuvring in and out of spaces i would never of dreamed of before, and above all never forget to break first then indicate (if you can be bothered):biggrin:

even the aussies admit they are terrible drivers, advanced instructor from ireland i know was dismayed at the quality of driving instruction here (perth)

they a truly bad and dangerous, I,m sure they think indicators are just an adornment and dont use them, if I do they just ignore them lol.

driving to the southern burbs monday we had 3 near misses

( i look at some of the posts and I swear if someone said the uk gets more rain than oz some would pipe up disagree and defend australia ) :)

Guest The Pom Queen

Today has to top it all a police van going 70 through a school zone, then further down the road he must have been doing 100 in an 80 then later on we saw him pull someone who must have only been going 5k over the limit. I did get his rego, I don't care if they are permitted to speed on the roads but doing 70 through a school zone :no:

I had this issue when we first arrived here, but now it's a case of just shutting ones eyes and manoeuvring in and out of spaces i would never of dreamed of before, and above all never forget to break first then indicate (if you can be bothered):biggrin:

it would be UnAustralian not to

Guest The Pom Queen
What is it with flo blue lights under the cars, do they think it looks cool?

Hey I want some of those, and the wipers, wheel trims, radio to match

The reason some of us Aussies defend our fellow countrymen and women on threads like these is because some people talk utter cr&p. Sweeping statements about all Aussies and everyone does this and that. I agree there is some of the worst driving on the Aussie roads, but on ther other hand there is also bad driving all around the world. To think that its only Australia that has bad drivers you are kidding yourselves. How many of you have had speeding tickets since arriving in Australia? And you say the Aussies are bad drivers, the speed limits are there for a reason.

A lot of you say Australia is such a young country that has been built on immigration, well, do you not think these people are part of the problem as well, or do you just think its the bog an, mullet wearing, redneck Aussies driving V8s with Aussie flags hanging out the window?

Have a look in the mirror people!

I blame the trees. Every time you hear of a death from a car crash on the news, the car has hit a tree. Cut all the trees down and there would be no road deaths. Easy.

We had three car crashes within 6 weeks of arriving in Australia. Opps!

Guest The Pom Queen
I thought of all on here you would have gone for the bubble gum pink option.

With the Betty Boop accessories :yes:

Guest The Pom Queen
The reason some of us Aussies defend our fellow countrymen and women on threads like these is because some people talk utter cr&p. Sweeping statements about all Aussies and everyone does this and that.,

Have a look in the mirror people!

Personally, like I said Australia has some cr@p drivers, I haven't compared the UK as a country as its nothing to do with the UK. I'm not saying what nationality these drivers in Oz are, they may well be Brits.

Re have a look in the mirror comment, maybe there wouldn't be as many accidents if they did :wink:

Personally, like I said Australia has some cr@p drivers, I haven't compared the UK as a country as its nothing to do with the UK. I'm not saying what nationality these drivers in Oz are, they may well be Brits.

Re have a look in the mirror comment, maybe there wouldn't be as many accidents if they did :wink:

If you go by all the comments on here there would be no need for mirrors in Aus because all the drivers are sitting on the a£&e of the cars in front of them.

So the thousands of driving schools throughout Australia don't actually have any students?

And now we know why Oz driving is so bad, what is the reason in the UK...as the fatality rate is hardly much better.

Bigger population, smaller Island maybe?

Spot on.