Aussies are appalling and dangerous drivers

rikyuu

I have to say that this subject scares the living sh*t out of me :cry: I have heard on and off of the many deaths on the road and the appalling and dangerous driving i will encounter when we get there. We arrive in a weeks time in Queensland and out of all the difficulties we will face as a new migrant, it is this that really bothers me the most, as a mum with a 5 year old that will be in the car too :frown:.

My husband is a very keen cyclist who thinks nothing of going out on the roads on his racing bike for a few hours and i'm really concerned that he'll be in real danger from random swerving cars, cars running red light etc etc...... will he be safe out on his bike???? any advice pleeeeeeeeeease :wideeyed:

Please read my post above. I read threads like this and wasn't sure I ever wanted to drive here, but it's been fine. In fact the whole "worse than the UK" wouldn't even have crossed my mind regarding the driving if it wasn't talked about here. I have had no issues with changing lanes or anything. People around here seem to OVER indicate if anything - if they are in a lane that only turns left they all indicate.

I am generally only driving around suburbia but it's been fine apart from the early rear-ending which was right in the city.

I hate writing responses like this as I'm sure I'm tempting something!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please read my post above. I read threads like this and wasn't sure I ever wanted to drive here, but it's been fine. In fact the whole "worse than the UK" wouldn't even have crossed my mind regarding the driving if it wasn't talked about here. I have had no issues with changing lanes or anything. People around here seem to OVER indicate if anything - if they are in a lane that only turns left they all indicate.

I am generally only driving around suburbia but it's been fine apart from the early rear-ending which was right in the city.

I hate writing responses like this as I'm sure I'm tempting something!

I would agree with all of this, driving around town is absolutely fine. Its the freeway where it gets a bit random

Arghhhhhh!!!!

That's what I used to say in the car to myself almost every day whilst driving around Adelaide.... Horrendous and off the scale would be how I would describe some of the 'quality' driving over there. I am seriously not exagerating.

Some examples:

Cars that just sit on the end of the slip road and form a line.....

Cars that look fit for the scrap yard - I once saw one with literally no rear windscreen!

Zero lane eticate - undertaking and not even looking before...

Tailgating appears to be a national sport...

Cars being driven (well if you can call it that) by v young peeps - big beefed up monsters with mahoosif exhausts, spray painted with some hideous colour, spoilers the lot which is offensive in itself (lol) and should be illegal...

God, I could go on...

Also, don't know if anyone has experienced this, but when a driver makes a potentially bad decision on the road, you beep the horn, give them the birdy or whatever and they just look at you like they seriously have no clue what they did, which is even more worrying and just about sums it up really.

Having travelled to many countries, I do reckon it would be fair to say it seriously is some of the worse driving I have ever seen. I have seen better driving in less developed countries. There is just no excuse I'm afraid.

Not only that but just out right dangerous and the lack of awareness of safety just beggars belief really.

I am not saying everyone over there are bad drivers, but a lot are. God imagine some of them driving round london in those cars....

Just for the record too, an aussie (yes an aussie) once told me there are three kinds of shark in Australia, one you find in the sea, one you find in the Estate Agents, and last but not least - the good old CAR DEALER!!!! Bad driving and unsafe cars being sold by ruthless dealers does not make for a good combination.....

I tried to get my head round why the driving was just so bad there, but I couldn't in the end. Everyone knows what is dangerous - surely???? Maybe they are just too distracted taking in the wonderful scenery (sorry that is just my humour)....

Get a truck and go 4 wheel driving instead!

:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Oh just want to add, has anyone seen that film Trains, Planes and Automobiles? Well there's a scene in that where the man sees the devil coming toward him when he's driving and quickly turns into a skeleton whilst desperately digging his fingernails into the steering wheel!!! That was me most days in my car!!

That is when Steve Martin and the other bloke say - "You're going the wrong way!"

Oh just want to add, has anyone seen that film Trains, Planes and Automobiles? Well there's a scene in that where the man sees the devil coming toward him when he's driving and quickly turns into a skeleton whilst desperately digging his fingernails into the steering wheel!!! That was me most days in my car!!

Arghhhhhh!!!!

That's what I used to say in the car to myself almost every day whilst driving around Adelaide.... Horrendous and off the scale would be how I would describe some of the 'quality' driving over there. I am seriously not exagerating.

Some examples:

Cars that just sit on the end of the slip road and form a line.....

Cars that look fit for the scrap yard - I once saw one with literally no rear windscreen!

Zero lane eticate - undertaking and not even looking before...

Tailgating appears to be a national sport...

Cars being driven (well if you can call it that) by v young peeps - big beefed up monsters with mahoosif exhausts, spray painted with some hideous colour, spoilers the lot which is offensive in itself (lol) and should be illegal...

God, I could go on...

Also, don't know if anyone has experienced this, but when a driver makes a potentially bad decision on the road, you beep the horn, give them the birdy or whatever and they just look at you like they seriously have no clue what they did, which is even more worrying and just about sums it up really.

Having travelled to many countries, I do reckon it would be fair to say it seriously is some of the worse driving I have ever seen. I have seen better driving in less developed countries. There is just no excuse I'm afraid.

Not only that but just out right dangerous and the lack of awareness of safety just beggars belief really.

I am not saying everyone over there are bad drivers, but a lot are. God imagine some of them driving round london in those cars....

Just for the record too, an aussie (yes an aussie) once told me there are three kinds of shark in Australia, one you find in the sea, one you find in the Estate Agents, and last but not least - the good old CAR DEALER!!!! Bad driving and unsafe cars being sold by ruthless dealers does not make for a good combination.....

I tried to get my head round why the driving was just so bad there, but I couldn't in the end. Everyone knows what is dangerous - surely???? Maybe they are just too distracted taking in the wonderful scenery (sorry that is just my humour)....

Get a truck and go 4 wheel driving instead!

:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))

What a load of vast generalization horsesh!t

Guest AKA63029
That is when Steve Martin and the other bloke say - "You're going the wrong way!"

One of the funniest clips ever Flea.:laugh:

My mistake - mis-read your reply and thought you were advocating indicating right on the roundabout when going straight ahead (old school). :wubclub:

Dunno about old school, but the NSW road user's handbook has this to say:

Haven't read all of the rant, but I have been driving in Aus (all States and Territories) for 15+ years, no speeding fines for me either, and only one accident where I reversed my car into another parked car. I will admit to being a terrible reverser! If you look at the figures per KM driven, then there is very little between the UK and Australia's road toll. On a recent trip to the UK, I hated going into a roundabout with another car as they invariably shot across into my lane. And the speed limit of 80m/h on some country roads was downright dangerous! Horses for courses I guess. I live in Malaysia ATM and love driving in Australia, it's actually quite relaxing after dealing with the chaos here.

Edited by Aussie Abroad

Warning - this is a rant, please don't read it if your after something nice! :biggrin:

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how appalling and dangerous Aussie drivers are? I'm an experienced driver with 20 years driving in the UK with no accidents or speeding fines, within 12 months of coming to Aus, I've been hit once and had 2 speeding fines (for going 4mph over the limit on empty straight roads). I'm not timid and like to make progress. I used to think there were some bad drivers in the UK, but mainly they were bad on purpose ie. trying to annoy you or trying to get ahead, but here the drivers are bad because they are absolutely clueless. They seem to have no idea what is safe and what is dangerous and crashing (according to my younger colleagues who have had several crashes in just a few years) is normal. There are crashes and traffic jams everywhere all the time due to bad driving. It's like the wild west of driving and it's probably my biggest concern, both for me and my wife an kids. The speed limits here are stupidly low, like 100kph (60mph) max, but mostly 30-50mph and stictly enforced, no 10% allowed here. I was comfortable doing 70mph+ in the UK all day long. Yet even at these low speeds here, I fear for my life, the driving is diabolical. There's lots of comment on the car forums about the UK getting a 80mph limit and why can we have it here etc. Well it's because of the appalling driving, which means you will crash a lot, which means it's best to have low limits to reduce the number of dead people.

Here are some examples that I see most days;

There's no lane discipline, people sit in the outside lane holding up traffic. I regularly see people join a freeway, go straight to the outside lane and sit there below the speed limit even when the other lanes are empty.

Due to the above, there's lots of over taking on the left and swerving around other traffic with dangerous lane changes.

There is no courtesy, people will not let you change lane, merge, enter a freeway or pull out of a junction.

People change lane frequently for no reason and dangerously into gaps that don't exist. During my typical journey to work I will have to avoid hitting around 5 cars randomly changing lane for no reason. Typically I'll see someone in a fairly empty right lane, they'll suddenly swerve into your lane forcing you to brake hard, you'll think they must be turning at the next junction, but no, it was just the irresistable urge to change lane.

A few weeks ago, I couldn't avoid one lane changer and she hit the front left of my bumper with the right rear of her car. Fortunately it was my company's car, but no word of an apology and a week later a letter came from her insurance company claiming it was my fault. It said she was turning right and I hit the rear of her (it was a freeway with no right turns and the damage was on the side), so my company is fighting against this or course. Because of this (and the general bad driving) I've fitted both our cars with front and rear cameras which record continuously.

People drive an inch off your bumber everywhere, through the housing estates, single lane roads and freeways. Then wonder why there are crashes, traffic jams and why no-one can join a freeway - no gaps to merge. As an example, within 1km of setting off this morning, I had 3 cars driving an inch off my bumper. My housing estate is quiet, not many cars that time in the morning, it's 50kph with some ramps, I do just under that. 1st car appears after 2mins on my bumper all the way then turns off. 30s later 2nd cars appears on my bumper, turns off again. I turn onto a faster 70kph single lane road and sit at 70. 30s later, another car on my bumper, weaving left to right, looking to overtake (it's only 200m to the freeway junction).

People overtake when you are joining the freeway. Unbelievably, when your booting it on the slip road to join the freeway the car behind you often tries to overtake, either blocking you from joining, or serving into the outside lane to avoid you and cutting up someone else. This happens regularly, I see it most days.

Even more unbelievably, people use the on ramp (slip road) for freeways to overtake, especially the ones that continue for a few hundred metres. They see an empty on ramp, swerve across the solid white lines to the on ramp and try to get ahead of the 1 or 2 cars in front of them before forcing their way back in, making everyone else brake and cause a traffic jam. I see this all the time. In fact everyone ignores solid white lines and cross hatching completed. If you're wanting to take the left lane to turn off and you're waiting for the solid white line to break up with your left indicator on, it's too late as everyone behind you will have already crossed over it and will be overtaking you on the left.

From all this you'd think that everyone is in so much of a rush that they'd all be speeding everywhere. But this isn't the case. The authorities have invested so much in reducing speeding with so many cameras, awareness ads and such low speed limits, that most of this happens below the speed limit or at relatively low speeds. It's almost as if it's all ok, because it's below or around the speed limit. It fact, the annoying thing is, if you move over for a tailgater on a multilane road, they won't actually go past, they'lll just sit next to you on the speed limit. I've done this several times and then been stuck in the left lane as the tailgater won't exceed the speed limit and just sits next to me.

Road works have stupidly low speed limits. For example, a 100kph section of freeway near me had some work being done to the edge. There were concrete barriers errected, tied together with steel cables (that would stop a tank) and a fence errected to prevent flying debris. The speed limit at that point was 40kph. Even with fairly low traffic, it was utter chaos with some cars slowing to 40kph, other continuing at 100kph for a bit and others somehwere in between, lots of lane swappnig, swerving and heavy braking. In addition to this, a lot of road works don't indicate where the speed limit has returned to normal. Hence again you get lots of speed differences, some still doing 40kph in the outside lane, others swerving to accelrate up to 100kph on the inside lane. All these safety measures, usually end up with carnage, or a lengthy traffic jam at best.

Then we get onto traffic lights. Almost every junction has traffic lights as people can't be trusted to enter or leave a junction themselves without lights controlling it. Not ony that, the lights control every lane of the traffic and there's a filter light for every direction. In the UK, normally you can judge whether it's safe to turn left or right at a junction with out a filter light, but not here, it's all controlled. That means that the red light is on for an inordinate amount of time, whilst all the cars in the other directions are filtered through, left, right, straight on, u-turn, all in turn before it gets back to you. Not only does this cause huge congestion at almost every junction, but it means many, many people run a red light. I'ved stopped at red lights and had people behind me swerve around to go through it. I've pulled out of junctions on a green light and someones come through the red in the other direction after I've gone through and I've seen it many times and seen many crashes like this. So I try to wait before setting off, but as the lights change directly from red to green (no amber), if you don't set off instantly (which means keeping the car in gear), the cars behind immediately beep you.

There is no forward planning for junctions, turns, freeways etc. I see many cars driving in the lane opposite to the turn they will be making or in the outside lane of the freeway when they turning off the next junction - often under the speed limit holding up traffic, then swerve across 3-4 lanes at the last minute to make the turn or exit the freeway. When joining the freeway, no-one matches the speed of the traffic, then merges into the most convenient gap in the traffic. Everyone goes right to the end of the on ramp and forces their way in. I've often left gaps for people to merge, but they don't want to, instead going right to the end to get 1 or 2 cars ahead, then forcing their way in. That's why the traffic builds up, because everyone else has to brake to avoid them.

Trucks roll all the time, it's like a common event. These things are twice the length of UK trucks, can you imagine how dangerous one of these things are? They also drive an inch off your bumper, with bull bars on the front, as high as a house. I've recently learnt to drive a truck and I know air brakes take a second to respond. Add to this your reaction times and the cars in front are toast.

Add into this mix that the cheapest car for 17 year olds to buy when the pass their tests is either a 4 litre falcon or 3.8 litre V6 commodore, both with rear wheel drive and no traction control, it's easy to see why nearly every day it's on the news about another (commdore or falcon) crashing through a house or wrapping itself around a tree or pole killing the occupants.

There are driving schools around, but not many. Most kids are taught by their parents who are already appalling drivers. Judging by how easy it was for me to get me truck licence (1/2 day training) I figure the car license must

be easy too.

You don't need insurance (mostly the above 17 yo don't have it). Insurance required to drive the car is included in the registration, but it only includes injury insurance. So you have lots of kids driving 250hp cars with no third party insurance. You have to hope when they hit you, they stop and offer to pay for the damage (unlikely).

All the time I see cars crashed in the strangest of places, through fences, backwards/up side down in the central reservation. Usually the afore mentioned Falcons and commodores.

There's about 1 motor cyclist death a day on the news (in Melbourne alone). Not suprising when you see how they ride. I was a motorcyclist for several years in the UK, but would not consider it at all in Australia due to the poor car drivering. So you would think the motorcyclists here would be a bit more careful, not a chance. I've had them go past on the freeway, any which way, left right, between cars then place themselves a few inches off my front bumper whilst doing 100kph.

Amazingly, checking the roadworthyness of a car (like an MOT) is the job of the police! There's no annual check (apart from NSW I think), so there are many cars on the road with bald tyres, smoking exhaust, poor wipers, poor brakes, poor/broken/dangerous headlights (you get dazzled by maladjusted headlights all the time and fitting HIDs is all the rage and they just blind you as they spread light everywhere), all leading to lots of break downs and crashes. I say it's the job of the police, because in the absence of anyone else, they do a vehicle check when they pull you over and many are vehicle experts and check for engine mods and stuff. This is the only time a vehicle gets checked, apart from when it's sold to a new owner. An annual MOT would prevent most of the stupid mods people do and a lot of the break downs.

When people break down, they either make no effort to get off the road or can't do because people are not courteous enought to let them move over. Almost every broken down car/truck I see is left in the middle of the road or freeway causing chaos. Many don't have break down cover, so cars are just abandoned until 'a mate' can tow them. 7 out of 10 or my commuting journeys each week have long queues caused by crashes or break downs.

According to the RACV, 50% of breakdowns are due to running out of fuel. You can't believe the traffic chaos these breakdowns cause, a 30 minutes journey becomes 3 hours with the resulting crashes caused by the queue. I can't believe so many people run out of fuel, but my colleagues seem to think it's fun seeing how low the guauge can get. To top it off, a lot of freeways provide free fuel to anyone who runs out and causes this chaos.

There are police everywhere, I mean everywhere and mostly in unmarked cars. But their only priority is catching anyone doing 1kph over the spead limit or modified cars, so the poor driving goes unoticed. In fact I've seen very poor driving by police cars and that's just the marked ones.

So that's all I can think of, congratulations if you made it to the end! LOL.

Yawn........another person whinging about the driving in Australia.

All your credibility went out the window as soon as you mentioned that you had been done speeding twice. If you don't break the speed limit you won't get done. You have broken the law, weather you were doing your 4mph over the limit or 40. Your insurance will now cost you more as a result, and so it should. It's people like you that speed that cause accidents!

Have you read the road rules for the state you are driving in?

What a load of vast generalization horsesh!t

Well, I knew it wouldn't be long before someone would jump on that!

Why do some people simply think I am 'generalizing'???? I did say 'not everyone' is a bad driver, or words to that effect????

However, that was a by and large how I found the driving where I was living??? Fact!

You live elsewhere which may have a better standard of driving????

Lighten up...

I am speaking from my own experience of driving in Australia, and according to what I have read on here and others I spoke to whilst in Australia, this is not uncommon!!!

End!

What I cannot ever understand happens in QLD. Driving on the Bruce highway, behind a car doing, say, 90kmph. They approach an overtaking lane, the speed increases to 120 kmph (or just enough so that you cannot pass them out). When you get to the end of the overtaking stretch, the speed decreases again. Can somebody please expalin what this is about???

What I cannot ever understand happens in QLD. Driving on the Bruce highway, behind a car doing, say, 90kmph. They approach an overtaking lane, the speed increases to 120 kmph (or just enough so that you cannot pass them out). When you get to the end of the overtaking stretch, the speed decreases again. Can somebody please expalin what this is about???

I've driven the Bruce Highway between Cairns and the Gold coast on more occasions than I care to remember...................please enlighten where the speed limit increases to 120 kph in an overtaking lane then decreases once you are past said overtaking lane ?.........because I'm buggered if I can remember any such instance.

Guest The Pom Queen
I've driven the Bruce Highway between Cairns and the Gold coast on more occasions than I care to remember...................please enlighten where the speed limit increases to 120 kph in an overtaking lane then decreases once you are past said overtaking lane ?.........because I'm buggered if I can remember any such instance.

I hate that road especially getting stuck behind the camper vans

Guest The Pom Queen

He is probably talking about the drivers not the speed limit

I live in Malaysia ATM and love driving in Australia, it's actually quite relaxing after dealing with the chaos here.

:biggrin::yes: My immediate thought on reading this rant - and similar which appear regularly on PIO - is that they obviously haven't driven in Asia.

Well, I knew it wouldn't be long before someone would jump on that!

Why do some people simply think I am 'generalizing'???? I did say 'not everyone' is a bad driver, or words to that effect????

However, that was a by and large how I found the driving where I was living??? Fact!

You live elsewhere which may have a better standard of driving????

Lighten up...

I am speaking from my own experience of driving in Australia, and according to what I have read on here and others I spoke to whilst in Australia, this is not uncommon!!!

End!

It needed to be jumped on because your original post was generalized crap.............sorry but after driving here for 47 years (and in the UK and quite a few other countries) that is my opinion.

Guest The Pom Queen
It needed to be jumped on because your original post was generalized crap.............sorry but after driving here for 47 years (and in the UK and quite a few other countries) that is my opinion.

Sir Les, the drivers in Melbourne are nutters, up here it's wonderful until you get a rental car stuck in front of you on the way up to Port Douglas

Thanks best laugh i have had in months:biglaugh: but it is all true. You did forget the right hand turn from the LEFT (inside lane) one waits till the light go RED YES RED then you turn right and hope to God no one hits you :wacko: Thing that get me is they break first and indicate second ! That is if no one has already hit them :mad: for goodness sake indicate ! so we know why the hell you are slowing down or even worse stopping.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how appalling and dangerous Aussie drivers are?

The road deaths per billion vehicle-kilometers for the UK and Australia are almost identical - 5.7 and 5.8 respectively - so the Aussies can't be that much more dangerous.

You know you aren't supposed to let facts get in the way of a whinging rant :wink:

Freckle......I've always been intrigued by collective nouns, you know......a mob of kangaroos, a herd of cattle, a murder of crows et al ..............I'm proposing that a group/congregation/bunch or whatever of Poms now be known as a "whinge of Poms" :wink: