Looks like I'm heading home

onecrankypom

June I hit the 4 years of being here and after a lot of thinking and talking I finally made my mind up to head back to the UK people may say I'm mad especially when I know when I get on the Plane in September I be going alone as the wife and kids will not be coming. People may also say I'm being selfish but I can't say all the Australian way of life is for me. Yeah I live in a great suburb (NL) in Brisbane and have the beach 10mins away but the lack of really friends i can trust with stuff that I have to grind up inside until i speak to a friend back home has eaten me up inside.

I know I have a great wife and kids but i miss the career I had in London and friends i could rely on when times hit rock bottom and i know we all have them but there one thing i hear every week from friends and family back home You should be happy we see this programme where people move to Oz and they have it all the job they want and every thing else i general say well i didnt come out on a work visa and it not all roses here but would always recommend they give it a go Sorry for the rant

June I hit the 4 years of being here and after a lot of thinking and talking I finally made my mind up to head back to the UK people may say I'm mad especially when I know when I get on the Plane in September I be going alone as the wife and kids will not be coming. People may also say I'm being selfish but I can't say all the Australian way of life is for me. Yeah I live in a great suburb (NL) in Brisbane and have the beach 10mins away but the lack of really friends i can trust with stuff that I have to grind up inside until i speak to a friend back home has eaten me up inside.

I know I have a great wife and kids but i miss the career I had in London and friends i could rely on when times hit rock bottom and i know we all have them but there one thing i hear every week from friends and family back home You should be happy we see this programme where people move to Oz and they have it all the job they want and every thing else i general say well i didnt come out on a work visa and it not all roses here but would always recommend they give it a go Sorry for the rant

So sorry to hear this, hope all works out ok in the end.

When you get home you are going to miss your wife and kids (well at least the kids) and you might find yourself wanting to go back.

The family unit has to stay together or you are going to feel worse when you get back to the UK.

Hope it works out for you but not a position I would wish to find myself in so good luck.

Dont close the door behind you when you leave as such. get to the uk, see what its about and take each day as it comes, hopefully if your wife sees all is well and you get work back in London she and kids may follow, or even after a while you may find reasons to get back here to Oz,

hope all goes well, sometimes 1 step back to get 3 forward.

I take it there has to more to this than what you have said. You seem willing to be seperated from your kids and a great wife (your words). For a job in London and a friend you can confide in.

If thats the really the case, I think you seriously need a wake up call and a reality check.

This is really sad..

I would suggest to go home only for a visit to get some breathing space.. but do not close the door behind you, your children need you.

dont chuck the towel in ......go back for a holiday .........you may find people have moved on .......family comes first .

Europe is right in the mire now , and its starting to drag the UK down ......DONT GIVE EVERYTHING UP ON YOUR MEMORIES

When my wife and daughter headed back home, I stayed back for 3 months in Australia and have to say they were the most difficult 3 months of my life. I did not want to go back, but life without them was miserable, there was a big hole in my heart and preferred to leave my dream and be with them. I don't like it here (back home), but I prefer to be with them.

Having said that, we are all different and are in different situations so what happened to me might not apply to you.

Like the people in previous posts said, keep your doors open at least, don't rush. Going back might in fact be a good idea to see how it goes and how you'd feel, but keep all options feasible. Things might change in the future and you/others might change your/their mind.

I do not know how old your children are, mine was 5 and unfortunately it was a trauma for her the 3 months I was away. She was very insecure, thank God, now that I am back she is OK and back to normal. What I mean is that at times, we have to also think how we would be affecting our loved ones, especially the little ones.

Good luck mate!

Cheers

No advice from me - just the very best of luck. You are the only person who can live YOUR life - we only have one. You have to do what's right for you and you have obviously gone through a lot to get to this point - obviously stuff nobody else needs to know. I thought I was going to die once and believe me, you suddenly realise that the stark reality is that we die alone and nobody can go with us - it clarifies everything very quickly. I made a decision then that affected my kids and I have regrets for them but I know I did the right thing (and so do they now) and I couldn't have done anything else. Had I not changed then I honestly believe I would have died. You need to consider others yes but you have to trust your gut instincts too. You can always change your mind again anyway if YOU wish to do so. Once a decision is made life sometimes gets a whole lot easier - procrastination is a killer. My best wishes

Archived