Don't come without a job, Australia is not working!!!!!

Fryertuck

To anyone coming to Australia without a job, don't come delay your migration. Australia is not working every state is down, I've applied for over 200 jobs, you don't get a call, you don't get a email you get nothing it all goes straight in the bin.

we've been here 8 months, spent $35,000 dollars and running at a loss of $1500 a month.

i would advise anyone coming here without a job, DON'T, wait till the last minute before you activate your visa, there isn't any work here, were in Brisbane, government cuts cuts cuts and believe me, it's far far worse than anything in the UK.

im a senior project manager, worked on the Olympics can't get a thing, lucky the wife has a job otherwise we would gone back at Xmas.

believe me guys, stay where you are Austarlia is not working for thousands of expats, many going back.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris955

While I agree with aspects of what you are saying in so far as it is definitely better to have a job lined up I think your post is overly simplisticly negative. It certainly seems to be true that there is much less work available in most areas and Brisbane is being hit hard. Just like here there is work and just like here you need to put more effort in to find it.

Welcome to PIO, there is nothing like making a grand opening post :)

Well after a 2 years we've been here 8 months applied for over 200 jobs, with covering letter and 3email returns telling me I don't have Queensland experience, so I can work on an Olympic program of works in London, senior project manager working on millions of pounds worth of projects yet I can't build a shed at the end of the garden in Australia.

i would say to anyone coming to Australia, delay it, don't come. Australia is not working at all. It looks after it's own 1st and there are lots of ozzies out of work they will come 1st, then the expats. ONLY COME IF YOU HAVE A JOB.

its not the dream anymore, it's not paradise anymore as it once was, there isn't any work, recruitment guys don't get back to you your totally in the dark, we've spent $35,000 dollars in 8 months, the wife is working otherwise we would be gone by now..

be warned don't come without a job, Australia is not working!,,,,,,,,

I think it's sensible, given the high and worsening unemployment in Brisbane, to either choose a different place in Oz to move to, or bring enough cash to support yourselves for 6 Months plus. Senior Project Managers (or senior anything in IT) just aren't in demand here because there are so few large projects, and those roles are given to mates and/or not advertised (as far as I have seen). I know some superb senior people who have just given up on their careers or moved away from QLD due to the IT recruitment market which is worse than it's been for a very long time. Personally I think that anyone giving up a stable, well paid job in the UK to move to Australia would be bonkers in the current climate, but like the OP, I struggle to get work here. There are probably still some jobs in demand in QLD, I just can't name any of them (engineering maybe?). It's very hard when you've come from the UK with supposedly 'in demand skills and with a history of never being out of work to find yourself in such a position. I can empathise, but not add any sensible advice as in a similar position. It is a very very expensive place to live when you're not earning the $, but not able to claim any benefits (I have a partner who is working, but like you we run at a 'loss' of about 1K per month on a very modest lifestyle

Just like to add, I sent my resume to a couple of agencies in Melbourne, they rang back straight away, took a real interest and put me forward for roles. They seemed much more professional than the agencies in Brisbane - but I suspect it is the fact that there are fewer senior candidates, more roles, and a more mature recruitment environment in Melbourne that caused that response. Rare that anyone in Brisbane returns my calls - the number of candidates for roles here is overwhelming. A senior friend got a great job in Melbourne 2 weeks after she moved there - after 8 months trying without success in Brisbane. I'd really give Melbourne or Sydney a try - you may find you are snapped up!

Edited by Chortlepuss

It doesn't matter whether your 'best fitted' or not in Brisbane it's not "what" but who you know, it's as simple as that, I'm only trying to help those who are coming, I've just been sat with a family in Brisbane who are in despair, can't go back to the UK, no money for that, losing $4,500 dollars a month on rent and food, 1 is a solicitor the other a bricklayer and they can't get a thing, this isn't about me, it's about those who have a choice to stay in the UK until things pick up, I thought that this site was for this "advice to others' who have a choice.

Yes we're on a modest cost as well, we are staying another 3 months then off to another state and start looking elsewhere, it really is quite bad here in Brisbane, the only chance it has to recover is when the commonwealth games works kicks off on the Gold Coast otherwise until the government helps the economy there is no chance..

Guest chris955

Yes that is exactly what this site is for. It is very clear that many are struggling to find work in Brisbane especially with the ongoing cuts and lay offs. I do agree that unless you have an absolutely fully guaranteed long term job lined up or money to survive and are comfortable where you think carefully. Australia is a lovely place to live BUT you have to be able to afford to live there.

Just like to add, I sent my resume to a couple of agencies in Melbourne, they rang back straight away, took a real interest and put me forward for roles. They seemed much more professional than the agencies in Brisbane - but I suspect it is the fact that there are fewer senior candidates, more roles, and a more mature recruitment environment in Melbourne that caused that response. Rare that anyone in Brisbane returns my calls - the number of candidates for roles here is overwhelming. A senior friend got a great job in Melbourne 2 weeks after she moved there - after 8 months trying without success in Brisbane. I'd really give Melbourne or Sydney a try - you may find you are snapped up!

going to do that this weekend thanks.

Why have you double posted, I didn't agree with the first one!

i don't agree with your post either, I didn't double deal on purpose, Internet problem!!!! Didn't ask you to respond come to think of it why did you read it the subject box should of told you enough...at least you read my post twice must be good

I know things are not as great as they were in Australia however I don't think it is nearly as bad as the UK as you are saying. I know people who have struggled for over 18 months to get a job in UK and I know that one basic admin position advertised in UK had over 350 applicants. Suppose depends which part of UK you are in - just like Australia some parts are doing better than others. Brisbane has never been known as a state for having lots of employment - as others have suggested you would be better to look in other states - good luck.

Also, try applying to management consultancies rather than directly for roles. From working in BA/Change in Brisbane I believe that there is a shortage of good PMs ironically (plenty of bad ones), and working for a consultancy will get you in the door, and help get over the frustrating and ridiculous 'no Brisbane/QLD/Oz ' experience issue -

Don't whatever you do, play down your experience on your resume - this is not the time to be modest, I've found australians to be excellent at marketing/self promotion and am repeatedly told by Ozzie friends to stop 'underselling' myself

To anyone coming to Australia without a job, don't come delay your migration. Australia is not working every state is down, I've applied for over 200 jobs, you don't get a call, you don't get a email you get nothing it all goes straight in the bin.

we've been here 8 months, spent $35,000 dollars and running at a loss of $1500 a month.

i would advise anyone coming here without a job, DON'T, wait till the last minute before you activate your visa, there isn't any work here, were in Brisbane, government cuts cuts cuts and believe me, it's far far worse than anything in the UK.

im a senior project manager, worked on the Olympics can't get a thing, lucky the wife has a job otherwise we would gone back at Xmas.

believe me guys, stay where you are Austarlia is not working for thousands of expats, many going back.

Hey..Thanks...I hope many will heed...many will seek....many will experience........I m flyin to Perth in about 4 weeks.....

I m a Projects Manager worked for many BMS projects....London , MEast - Dubai...If I don't find a good job.....I will try and complete my PhD....at UWA..:)..

Better Doctor than an Engineer....:)

Oh you poor thing! It is so sad that your dream is on it's head now you are finally here. I really hope it picks up for you. We came with very little money but I did have a job, not as well paid as it looked from the UK tho, took hubby 3months to find work and he was prepared to do anything! It was SO tight back then, every day a struggle! Since then tho it's been onward and upward for us, with two wages there is plenty left over for the extras we now enjoy.

I can tell you now tho that during that first 3 months if we could have afforded a ticket we would have gone home with our tails between our legs!! Not for the faint hearted this lark, and ten times harder without cash.

let us know how you get on, I'm sure it will work out for you eventually, good luck mate.

I think this is a fair post. It is so common to hear lots of positives (especially from friends and family who are there) until you get there and you find it's a dead market. That happened to us in 2002 - and is part of the reason we are still in the UK. You would be very foolish to give up a job in the UK to go looking for one in Oz. If you have an offer from Oz - then that makes sense. If you are out of work in the UK, then it probably doesn't matter which country you look for work in. But we are in troubled times, so I'd hold onto any security you have while you can.

Clearly it depends on the industry.

My stepson spray paints classic cars and he's been 'head hunted' 3 times since September.

My step daughter has no special skills but has changed job a couple of times over the past year simply to find employment near where she lives--and has changed house a couple of times. She's never been out of work for more than a week.

(My third stepson recently left Brisbane to move to Melbourne to start a web design business with some friends who live down there. So far so good.)

So there ARE jobs...it just depends what you're looking for.