Oranges and Sunshine

Lambethlad

I haven't seen it yet as the OH won't watch this type of thing. Having said that, my uncle is writing a book about how the children of unmarried mothers were forceably adopted at birth and taken into "care" in QLD in the early 20th century. This happened to his mother and from he has told me , its pretty harrowing as well and the autorities went to great lengths to make life difficult for mothers and children and did a similar cover up.

Wrote about that sort of thing in 2009.

An extract: "I don't think it's a matter of being responsible, more a matter of acknowledging the fact that some moronic group instituted the program in the first place.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. There was a group of perhaps, 20 on the ship I was on in 1963. They were in the Dr. Bernado's scheme and the youngest of them, about 7 years old, had their name and destination address pinned to their jackets all the time."

And,

"In my early years in Western Australia, I was fortunate enough to meet and work with a few of those children who came over early on. Two great young blokes were, I kid you not, Rusty Gates and Dusty Rhodes...I often wonder what forks in the road they took.

A couple I worked with on the Main Roads, one died of alcohol poisoning, the other shot himself. Both had been abused in their early youth. One from New Norcia...the second from Clontarf."

Cheers, Bobj.

• 1 year later...

In WA near Pinjarra is a place called Fairbridge. This was where a lot of the children were sent. It is still preserved today and is a interesting place to visit. As well as being a museum, it is now a training centre for young people, many of whom are from disadvantaged backgrounds. It is one of the charities I have raised funds for.

I highly recommend a visit.

I have read the book and also watched the film, both very moving A few weeks ago with three friends visited the Melbourne museum and on the top floor saw a large section that dealt with these issues It had photographs, written messages from the children involved etc Before you entered that section there were warnings that you may find some of it distressing To all four of us it was distressing, especially when they had a section where people could leave comments and there were notes from people who had been involved I don't know how long the museum has had this display , even though it was a hard look it is worth a visit

Yes seen and although sad not accurate and very badly acted I thought!

Hogwash!

The film very closely followed the book which was very much a TRUE account of an outrageous miscarriage of justice. Margaret Humphreys is the author of the book and is a social worker from Nottingham who became involved when asked to investigate one of her clients claims that she had been shipped out to Australia as a child without family consent. Margaret was an advisor for the film and she ensured that the parts of the book that were translated to film, were portrayed accurately. The book being too long to use all the material, that which was chosen was done so to represent the truth of the disgraceful situation. The casting and acting in the film were brilliant.

The whole situation is incredibly sad and many of the abused "children" are now part of the lawsuits against the various church organisations that perpetrated these atrocities in Australia and Britain.

Until Margaret published her book "Empty Cradles" in 1994, this disgusting episode of British and Australian history had been hidden from public view. Margaret has devoted her life to bringing this travesty to justice and supporting the victims, and she has founded the Child Migrant Trust to do so.

Before you make a throwaway comment about it being untrue, I suggest that you have a little google .... and read the book.... it is all true... yes it is unbearably sad and shouldn't have happened, but thank God for Margaret Humphreys for bringing to the attention of the public and campaigning the governments of both Britain and Australia to do something about it!!

Guest Guest40285

Just watched it, remember the book moving me, But the movie..... I dont think I have cried so hard in years,doesnt take much for me, also wont go into detail on here but bought up lots of old memories for me, great film though, someone earlier on here said the acting was crap, I thought it was great. Need a cuppa now.

In WA near Pinjarra is a place called Fairbridge. This was where a lot of the children were sent. It is still preserved today and is a interesting place to visit. As well as being a museum, it is now a training centre for young people, many of whom are from disadvantaged backgrounds. It is one of the charities I have raised funds for.

I highly recommend a visit.

Latterly to 1980 I believe, the Fairbridge Society sponsored single parents to settle in Australia. They had Pinjarra, Draper Hall in Adelaide, and Tresca in Exeter Tasmania.

Tresca closed in late '76. It would have been my choice. Fairbridge sponsored me. I am grateful to them, but that does not blind me to their former track record.

Children were worked as 'slaves' at Pinjarra.

The abuse at Norcia and Clontarf is also sickening. I read the story of one man who as a small boy was subjected to horrific sexual abuse at Clontarf. His childhood and that of the others there was effectively murdered, they were passed around as vessels of pleasure by Church/ Priest paedophiles.

There is a statue of Father.....still? standing at the front of Clontarf. A vicious bestial man. I only wish someone with explosives had paid a visit to that statue.

Hogwash!

The film very closely followed the book which was very much a TRUE account of an outrageous miscarriage of justice. Margaret Humphreys is the author of the book and is a social worker from Nottingham who became involved when asked to investigate one of her clients claims that she had been shipped out to Australia as a child without family consent. Margaret was an advisor for the film and she ensured that the parts of the book that were translated to film, were portrayed accurately. The book being too long to use all the material, that which was chosen was done so to represent the truth of the disgraceful situation. The casting and acting in the film were brilliant.

The whole situation is incredibly sad and many of the abused "children" are now part of the lawsuits against the various church organisations that perpetrated these atrocities in Australia and Britain.

Until Margaret published her book "Empty Cradles" in 1994, this disgusting episode of British and Australian history had been hidden from public view. Margaret has devoted her life to bringing this travesty to justice and supporting the victims, and she has founded the Child Migrant Trust to do so.

Before you make a throwaway comment about it being untrue, I suggest that you have a little google .... and read the book.... it is all true... yes it is unbearably sad and shouldn't have happened, but thank God for Margaret Humphreys for bringing to the attention of the public and campaigning the governments of both Britain and Australia to do something about it!!

Well done! How anyone can disparage such horrendous historical endemic child abuse is beyond comprehension.

It was on BBC2 in the UK about 3 weeks ago and was on the BBC iPlayer for a couple of weeks after that (unfortunately, not available now). I remember watching it a few years ago, not knowing about it at all, and thought it was a very good, but very sad film. I watched it again a few weeks ago and have since bought the book to read when I get a chance...

Archived