Are oral contraceptives free in australia ?

Guest itsSHIRLEY

Guest itsSHIRLEY

I know people will probably think im stupid , but do you pay for oral contraceptives in australia? im on mycrogynon and am wondering if i will be able to get it in oz and how much i will have to pay for it.

I had a well woman check up last time i got them, blood cholesterol, liver check, diabetes check and blood pressure all came back good so they let me stay on the pill. Apparently some doctors in uk not keen when you get older for you to stay on the pill, i am now 43. :huh:

You have to pay...from memory when I lived there think it was about $30 for 3 months. You could look at getting an IUD fitted here before you went to say you 5 years of the pill!

or you could get the implant in your arm, lasts 3 years so you dont have to worry about it

The implant is only the mini pill though, not like Microgynen (sp?), so if you're not used to the prog. only I'd go on that pill personally first as a) it might not agree with you (is so didn't with me) and b) it can be a bit of a hassle and leave scarring when removed (not most of the time, but it can - plus just getting it removed can be a complete nightmare in the UK).

Can you get a load from your doctor and perhaps if you want regular check ups once in oz whilst on it, go to the doc and ask for blood pressure/weight checks but that you don't actually need the script (or just don't fill the script out there).

Yeah i know what you mean, just thought id suggest it. I havent had mine out yet, its due out in july. im dreading it tbh. I havent had much side effects from it but its made me put a quite a lot of weight on!

Hopefully you'll be able to get quite a lot of pills in the UK to last you a while when your over there

I wasent on it when I went before but I thought a couple of other female friends went to get repeat prescriptions for their pill i think some are free (The cheaper ones) then others are more e.g I am on Yasmin here (which I know is expensive!) So I will be trying to get a full year before I go to Aus! Just in case! Im on it for skincare reasons anyway and Im hopefull that the sunshine will sort that out for me :-)

Hello,

I too am on Microgynon. I got 6 months from my doctor in the UK. Then the doctor here gave me 4 months. The pharmacist said that Levlen was a cheaper brand but with the same ingredients so she gave me that instead. It said $22 on the box but she didn't charge me. Perhaps cheaper brands are free, or its different in each state?

Levlen ED is generic microgynon, you have to pay for it in NSW at least but it's cheap. Go to chemists warehouse and it'#s less than about $20 for 3 months worth. They'll usually ask if you want microgynon or the generic brand, it's the same active ingredient but the generic brand is cheaper.

Yeah i know what you mean, just thought id suggest it. I havent had mine out yet, its due out in july. im dreading it tbh. I havent had much side effects from it but its made me put a quite a lot of weight on!

Hopefully you'll be able to get quite a lot of pills in the UK to last you a while when your over there

I had my implant out a while ago and it didn't hurt or scar, I was scared too, but honestly it was fine!!

Guest Guest62757

Yup everything you pay for here.

I have the implant (implanon) put in January last year as done having children and it cost me $180 for the implant and then $70 for the dr to insert it. I only got the $35 back on my dr appointment and I'm sure she didn't charge me the full cost to put it in.

The pill I think was also $40 for 3 months worth.

You do have to pay for pills here. You also have to pay to see the doctor to get the prescription every six months - unless you go to a bluk billing doctor with a medicare card.

Healthcare in Australia is very bewildering and everything you do seems to result in paying several different bills.

Guest itsSHIRLEY

Hi thanks eveyone for your replies they have been very helpfull, will have to count the pill in my expences, thanks again everyone.

Nothing is ever free. It's a case of identifying who is paying for it.

On the NHS system contraception my be free for the end user, but is paid for by the taxpayer.

Never in your widest dreams think goods and services are free

I know but the NHS everyone puts into the pool and you take out what you need which IMO is far better that the system in Oz where shareholders need their cut.

Archived