Number of Britons Emigrating to Oz Drops

connaust

I think the exchange rate accounts for most of this.

In the past, the urge to emigrate when you could sell your two-bedroomed, Victorian terrace and buy the Aussie dream house on the quarter- acre block, pool, double-garage etc proved irresistable. Now all you're likely to get for your terraced house is a one-bed unit in a new-build suburb, so moving to Australia is no longer such an enticing prospect.

The irony is that moving to Australia is more a

ttractive in the (Aussie) bad times than when the economy is on a role, like it is now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a forum for people moving or thinking about moving from Australia to Britain and vise versa so probably quite a few people care.

Taking your point, my advice to anyone who is thinking about coming to Australia - DO IT! Unfortunately there are many people who 'failed' to make the grade, and want nothing more than for everybody else to equal their standard.

Come with a positive attitude and you almost certainly enjoy your life in Australia.

Guest SupportPants
I think the exchange rate accounts for most of this.

In the past, the urge to emigrate when you could sell your two-bedroomed, Victorian terrace and buy the Aussie dream house on the quarter- acre block, pool, double-garage etc proved irresistable. Now all you're likely to get for your terraced house is a one-bed unit in a new-build suburb, so moving to Australia is no longer such an enticing prospect.

The irony is that moving to Australia is more a

ttractive in the (Aussie) bad times than when the economy is on a role, like it is now.

The Australian economy is only doing well in some areas as mining is prospering. Other areas, which are reliant on tourism, manufacturing and retail are in deep recession.

Weak Uk £ , cost of living in Oz , UK house prices low and a visa process that many fail or struggle to get through, it all contributes

Ive earned enough in the UK over the past 3 years to litterally pay my way and pay the mortguage , finding £7+ K to just get through the visa process was a bridge to far .

Then i woke up one day and thought , tomorrow will never come , if u want something bad enough then you'll do what ever it takes . so somehow ive got the money together ( that should be , getting as the process moves forward ) and i can see the light at the end of the tunnel

I appreciate everyone is different , some lean on the side of caution , some are committed but want to wait to get a better exchange rate , or a better value on theire house ,

Im trying to juggle everything , not expect to much but not take huge gambles/ losses .

Personally im calling it collateral damage , i cant invest in a oz property if i refuse to let my uk home go , i cant start a oz job and my new life untill i pack in my current job , and i cant get to oz in the first place untill i pay for my visa and book a flight .

gotta break some eggs to make a omelette ,

Cheese aside , when i wake up in the morning it'll be the firsat day of the rest of my life and i'll be one day closer to where i want to be ,

Its all an investment , an investment in me , My dreams and ambitions , my life . If i dont like it( god forbid ) i can take a new direction. ill look back without regrets , i wanted it , i went for it , i challenged myself and made it happen. not all investments come to fruition but ive never gotten anywhere by sitting in limbo saying , maybe tomorrow if the exchange rate hits x$$ ????

the uk can throw all it can at me , and ill decide for myself about the real oz when i get there myself .

Bring it !!

Its all an investment , an investment in me , My dreams and ambitions , my life . If i dont like it( god forbid ) i can take a new direction. ill look back without regrets , i wanted it , i went for it , i challenged myself and made it happen. not all investments come to fruition but ive never gotten anywhere by sitting in limbo saying , maybe tomorrow if the exchange rate hits x$$ ????

lol, thats the sheep's motto right there.....

nows a bad time because of [insert excuse] ill do it when [insert unrealistic target]

lifes for living, right now!

i live away from my home town, but when i go back i see sheep, living from hand to mouth just waiting to die. they dont see it that way, they seem happy, just living for the weekend.

not for me tho. I like to mix it up a bit!

do it, do everything! even if by some quirk of fate you missed something and you have to backpedal, at least you did it!

Story , ill keep it short .

16 years old , dumb ass at school but was good at making things , so joined the army as an apprentice , Had a send off from a few mates in the local ( cross keys pub ) the night before i left .

skip 7 years . Id been all over the world , earned a couple of stripes on my shoulder and had grown from a short fat spotty and pretty immature kid into , well we wont go there but id worked damn hard , bettered myself and faced every challenge head on !!

I decided to head back to where id set off from , once in my old home town i walked into the very pub id been waved off from all those years ago and 2 guys were sat at the bar , Now then lee they siad , i sort of recognised them but i couldnt remember theire names , i said hi , then they said what you been upto , havnt seen u for a couple of months !!!!!!!!!! WTF , 7 years .

When i left employment i did return to this very town and ive been happy here , i also see those very 2 gentlemen now and again , still sitting at the same bar , like clockwork , and they like most talk about how pants everything is ( maybe its just a british thing ) work , weather , money , taste of the pints . they talk of change but inevitably , like many many soules in my town they'll never do anything about it , they get dizzy if they loose sight of the church tower .

Many talk a good " im gonna do this " few make that step ( not just emigrating ) with anything at all .

We used to be intrepid explorers , and a Englishman simply hadto be the first to do everything , taking on challenges feasably impossible . Now were a nation of if's and but's and maybe tomorrow's

recession , exchange rate and the like is used far more as an excuse not to go than is actually whats holding people back .

i think ive gone on a tangent but ive typed it now so ill hit the post button

lee

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Another factor is that since 2008, DIAC have made it an awful lot harder to get a visa which would allow you to emigrate to Australia...

The 3-1 exchange rate hasn't been there since 2002 - nearly a decade ago. The solution is to not bring money from the UK until if / when there is a recovery. Rent your house out and rent one here. Don't wish your life away until it is too late mate.

Cheers Peach. We have the renting out idea as a fall back plan, but we were looking at buying outright a brilliant 4 bed detached new house near the coast, not far from the city with a pool and a jacuzzi and .............. mortgage free. Due to the chronic exchange rate we would have to get a £300,000 loan out now to achieve this and at 51 i don't want to go into such debt. Yes we could get something cheaper, but we would still need a huge loan and that wasn't part of our Australian dream move when we started out and we don't like the thought of renting, but will consider it. We are all different and this is OUR own personal reasons of why we haven't gone yet, but to me the exchange rate would be a big factor as to why less are migrating for alot of would be migrants at present.

I cant talk for anyone else and I am 100% committed to Oz (not sure about OH) but the cost of the visa process must be a major factor, then you need to factor in the moving costs for a family of 4 and dog (this alone may cost in excess of £3K:wacko:) then you realise why the amount of people emigrating is dropping. Personnally sitting at home today at 16.15 after walking the dog and came home soaking with a dog covered in mud and it is dark, wet, windy and and I finished up on my latest contract position with nothing on the horizon makes me more determined to move to Oz (if Vettasess ever get around to approving my skills). I have 21 years left before I retire and I want to spend these years in a productive and forward thinking environment with decent weather, The UK has none of these.

To sum up if DIAC dropped IELTS, skills could be approved within a month (same as SS) and the housing market in the UK made it easier to sell your property for what it is worth (most people need to sell to help fund move) then Oz would be full of Brits irrespective of the exchange rate:yes:

Cheers Peach. We have the renting out idea as a fall back plan, but we were looking at buying outright a brilliant 4 bed detached new house near the coast, not far from the city with a pool and a jacuzzi and .............. mortgage free. Due to the chronic exchange rate we would have to get a £300,000 loan out now to achieve this and at 51 i don't want to go into such debt. Yes we could get something cheaper, but we would still need a huge loan and that wasn't part of our Australian dream move when we started out and we don't like the thought of renting, but will consider it. We are all different and this is OUR own personal reasons of why we haven't gone yet, but to me the exchange rate would be a big factor as to why less are migrating for alot of would be migrants at present.

Mate, I wasn't suggesting what works for me works for you.. I just think you may need a plan B - other than wait for the exchange rate to recover. :wubclub:

I certainly agree that the exchange rate between the UK and Oz will be a big factor as well as the current economic state here in Blighty. A few other people I know who applied to emigrate but didn't in the end was also down to being unable to sell their house. It's why the wife and I, once we decided to emigrate, stayed in rented accommodation as, if we were successful in our application, we wouldn't be tied to selling the house to get our money out as we saved the money in preparation.

We were also both determined to move for various reasons but one that has kept me going is the sense of adventure of upping sticks and moving to another continent let alone another country. It's something I can look back on and say that I did something that I wanted to do and did everything I could to achieve it. I'm really looking forward to our moving date in Feb and the days after where we'll be forging a new life four ourselves; it's all very exciting. However for some this uncertainty, especially when times have been hard at home will worry them as if they're unable to find work in Oz then life won't be too far from what they've left especially if they do have a job in the UK.

Moving countries is a big risk but then that's what makes life exciting isn't it? Taking risks?

Definately th exchange rate but also visa and SOL requirements changing towards skilled workers as apposed to semi skilled - eg points for a degree etc...

I cant talk for anyone else and I am 100% committed to Oz (not sure about OH) but the cost of the visa process must be a major factor, then you need to factor in the moving costs for a family of 4 and dog (this alone may cost in excess of £3K:wacko:) then you realise why the amount of people emigrating is dropping. Personnally sitting at home today at 16.15 after walking the dog and came home soaking with a dog covered in mud and it is dark, wet, windy and and I finished up on my latest contract position with nothing on the horizon makes me more determined to move to Oz (if Vettasess ever get around to approving my skills). I have 21 years left before I retire and I want to spend these years in a productive and forward thinking environment with decent weather, The UK has none of these.

To sum up if DIAC dropped IELTS, skills could be approved within a month (same as SS) and the housing market in the UK made it easier to sell your property for what it is worth (most people need to sell to help fund move) then Oz would be full of Brits irrespective of the exchange rate:yes:

Australia is not a productive and forward thinking environment. And the weather is only decent some of the time in some places. For two months in June and July I was colder in Brisbane from 6pm to 6am than I had ever been in 35 years in Glasgow and for the next 5 months I need to have a shower five minutes after getting out one.

Australia is not a productive and forward thinking environment. And the weather is only decent some of the time in some places. For two months in June and July I was colder in Brisbane from 6pm to 6am than I had ever been in 35 years in Glasgow and for the next 5 months I need to have a shower five minutes after getting out one.

When I was talking about productive and forward thinking I meant how much expansion plans the australian and state governments have either ongoing or in the pipeline. For me being a construction manager this means I can see a long term productive future for me. Here in the UK especially Scotland how many large scale projects are in the pipeline, 1 the New Forth Road bridge and this will be 2 years in planning before the benefits are felt by the smaller suppliers. We need to have several projects of this size to keep the industry alive. I cant comment on how cold it gets in Brisbane at night for 2 months but I cant imagine it was -20 as it was over most of Scotland for the whole of December and part of January:wideeyed:

Guest IrishMiss

I imagine the new points system for the skilled migration visa and people being unable to sell there homes for an acceptable price is the cause for less people emigrating from the UK. I'm in Ireland and I dont hear many stories of families moving in the last few years but the amount of young people going to oz on the WHV (and some on the skilled migration and sponsored employment) is huge. last jan/feb around 200 people from my town (pop. around 7/8000) went to oz in them few weeks alone

It is of no surprise to me that fewer people are emigrating from the U.K

(1) The exchange rate is pants for every £100k they will get only $160k compared to $240k in more normal times.

(2) The cost of living in Australia housing / mortgage renting is far higher than even a few years ago relative to Australian wages.

Global house prices

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2011/03/global_house_prices

Guest littlesarah

I personally suspect that this is a story of multiple parts: the changes to the skilled migration scheme have made it harder for a lot of would-be migrants to obtain the visa they want/need in order to make a move to Australia; and some people feel that they are unable to afford the move.

There will always be different views on the financial aspects of making such a move, and I guess a lot comes down to personal circumstances, values and precerences.

Statistics are just that - they don't necessarily reveal the full picture - the stats referred to in the OP only show people leaving the UK for Australia - it would be interesting to compare them to the figures that show the number of British visa applicants, and the number of visas granted for the same time period. :GEEK: (Or maybe only nerds like me would find that interesting...)

Archived