Number of Britons Emigrating to Oz Drops

connaust

I imagine the new points system for the skilled migration visa and people being unable to sell there homes for an acceptable price is the cause for less people emigrating from the UK. I'm in Ireland and I dont hear many stories of families moving in the last few years but the amount of young people going to oz on the WHV (and some on the skilled migration and sponsored employment) is huge. last jan/feb around 200 people from my town (pop. around 7/8000) went to oz in them few weeks alone

They are not migrating just on a holiday.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Andy, Aus has not lost it's appeal and truth of the matter Is of the UK people that come out here 1 in 3 of you will go back. I am not being a 'grim reaper' the Australian bureau of stastics released a paper last week, they took in trends of UK migrants from 2005 to 2010 and some 150,000 people and families moved out here approx 30% have gone back. I have 5 freinds with family go back earlier this year. Its not all to do with the exchange rate etc... most said they missed their relatives and the ones they left behind, another said he missed the 'local pub'. I simply beleive some migrants don't come out here with the 'right' mind set, Aus is not the UK it's differant, the people, jobs, conditions, schools, etc etc there's a lot to take in, it's not the same, 3 of my mates came out to take a look first and said great love it! but they admitted to me the trip was more like a 'holiday' days on the beach, sight seeing, taking the kids to the amusement parks, etc etc. I spend more time on the beach when i am travelling overseas on holiday than i do here, as you have to go to work. For the men its not so bad but the wives can find it tough at first.. really tough as there's no mum or sister to meet up for a coffee or have a sunday dinner with. Where it can start to go wrong is when you 'toy' with the idea of bringing the family out here, unless you have a really 'close' family forget it, all your doing is thinking of surrounding yourself with your old 'surroundings' I have been there and got the T Shirt, I would not recommend it as they then become dependant on you and its a stress you can do without. Others go back after a couple of years to do xmas, thois costs money, which you can do well without spending if you really want to set yourselfs up here. Aus xmas is no where near as good as a UK one, it never will be, it can be 35c outside and your tucking into turkey and hot food and the wifes in the kitchen and its 40c in there! and she's crying cause she misses her family because it's xmas day and she's waiting for the UK relies to call as we are 10 hours ahead of them. All these things are everyday life here that most will get thru.. others unfortunately won't and will end up going back. Some of the posts traet getting a visa to come out permanently like winning the lotto, DON'T, teat at as an adventure that may or may not work out and really it's going to be how strong you and a test of your willpower and determination!

Enough said !!

Stefan

Guest Guest31881

Could this simply be down to the way the Visa system has worked in the past compared to now. Its harder and more time consuming to get a visa now than it was a couple of years ago. When I came over two and a half years ago the spouse visa took 10 days to approve. now its more like 6 months. The uncertainty that arose with the changes in the visa rules and the capping of some visas all go to slow down the amount of people who can migrate.

I do not agree with the "Cost Of Living" being touted as a reason for less people to migrate here. I do not think its any more expensive here than in the UK. Some things are dearer, a lot are cheaper and you perspective on that will depend where in the UK you have been living. Interest rates have dropped and house prices in the main have also fallen in various areas

Due to various circumstances and my wife being classed as disabled we live on a much lower figure than being quoted on the various forums as the minimum needed to survive. If you have a family and have to pay school fees, then yes it is going to cost you more (Depending on the state). There is only one way to find out what things are like and that is to live here, anyone can read statistics but they never show the true picture.

As Mark twain once said, There are lies, damn lies and statistics....

I agree with Andy, Aus has not lost it's appeal and truth of the matter Is of the UK people that come out here 1 in 3 of you will go back. I am not being a 'grim reaper' the Australian bureau of stastics released a paper last week, they took in trends of UK migrants from 2005 to 2010 and some 150,000 people and families moved out here approx 30% have gone back. I have 5 freinds with family go back earlier this year. Its not all to do with the exchange rate etc... most said they missed their relatives and the ones they left behind, another said he missed the 'local pub'. I simply beleive some migrants don't come out here with the 'right' mind set, Aus is not the UK it's differant, the people, jobs, conditions, schools, etc etc there's a lot to take in, it's not the same, 3 of my mates came out to take a look first and said great love it! but they admitted to me the trip was more like a 'holiday' days on the beach, sight seeing, taking the kids to the amusement parks, etc etc. I spend more time on the beach when i am travelling overseas on holiday than i do here, as you have to go to work. For the men its not so bad but the wives can find it tough at first.. really tough as there's no mum or sister to meet up for a coffee or have a sunday dinner with. Where it can start to go wrong is when you 'toy' with the idea of bringing the family out here, unless you have a really 'close' family forget it, all your doing is thinking of surrounding yourself with your old 'surroundings' I have been there and got the T Shirt, I would not recommend it as they then become dependant on you and its a stress you can do without. Others go back after a couple of years to do xmas, thois costs money, which you can do well without spending if you really want to set yourselfs up here. Aus xmas is no where near as good as a UK one, it never will be, it can be 35c outside and your tucking into turkey and hot food and the wifes in the kitchen and its 40c in there! and she's crying cause she misses her family because it's xmas day and she's waiting for the UK relies to call as we are 10 hours ahead of them. All these things are everyday life here that most will get thru.. others unfortunately won't and will end up going back. Some of the posts traet getting a visa to come out permanently like winning the lotto, DON'T, teat at as an adventure that may or may not work out and really it's going to be how strong you and a test of your willpower and determination!

Enough said !!

Stefan

excellent post, I agree with everything you said:yes:, especially the highlighted part.

love the description of the wife crying in the 40 degree kitchen...oh so "real life"

Guest IrishMiss
They are not migrating just on a holiday.

Yeah I know these are not permanent migrants but I am just saying that I hear of very few people migrating to Oz permanently anymore and I imagine it is because of the cost and the new points system rather than Oz has lost its appeal

Cheers Harpodom,

Just trying to let folk know it's not all sunshine, beach, bbq's and drinking that we do during the day.... if only!!!!! I not trying to be misearble just an honest Joe pom who's been here over 20 yrs and giving the users here the true facts

Cheers

Stefan

Guest Guest31881
Cheers Harpodom,

Just trying to let folk know it's not all sunshine, beach, bbq's and drinking that we do during the day.... if only!!!!! I not trying to be misearble just an honest Joe pom who's been here over 20 yrs and giving the users here the true facts

Cheers

Stefan

Everyone loves a good honest post, and yours is informative and honest.

Cheers Harpodom,

Cheers

Stefan

Agree with it all Covkid. People forget that the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side (I've found this out). It's not a holiday you are coming to; it is your life in another country added to the fact that all those things that remind you of home will be more stronger than ever before. Even just the mention of UK news on the television gets me turning my head. You still have bills to pay, familys to bring up, traffic jams to deal with, STRESS, weekly groceries, alarm clocks to set. EVERYTHING is the same as my life in London, there is just a hell of alot more sun, heat and Australian ways of life to work with.

I cant talk for anyone else and I am 100% committed to Oz (not sure about OH) but the cost of the visa process must be a major factor, then you need to factor in the moving costs for a family of 4 and dog (this alone may cost in excess of £3K:wacko:) then you realise why the amount of people emigrating is dropping. Personnally sitting at home today at 16.15 after walking the dog and came home soaking with a dog covered in mud and it is dark, wet, windy and and I finished up on my latest contract position with nothing on the horizon makes me more determined to move to Oz (if Vettasess ever get around to approving my skills). I have 21 years left before I retire and I want to spend these years in a productive and forward thinking environment with decent weather, The UK has none of these.

To sum up if DIAC dropped IELTS, skills could be approved within a month (same as SS) and the housing market in the UK made it easier to sell your property for what it is worth (most people need to sell to help fund move) then Oz would be full of Brits irrespective of the exchange rate:yes:

Being away from your descrption of the typical UK winter evenings makes me want it more. When I was in the UK I took all of what you are describing for granted and longed for something different. Now I have that something different and I long for what I had. It seems absence can make the heart grow fonder.

Chris,

You are right on the money there mate. Look, I think too many UK brits are looking at Aus as a 'get out of jail card' its not. I feel really sorry for some of them, like booking flight first tickets once they have a visa and not selling the house? This is crazy, there are some real horror stories on this forum, its like they are trying to run away from something?

I know the UK right now is not in good shape, but I have travelled to a lot of countries on business in the last 3 years and the UK doesn't have the police in power... unlike some places where they censure everything today, no countries mentioned but you get my drift...

Cheers

Stefan

It is of no surprise to me that fewer people are emigrating from the U.K

(1) The exchange rate is pants for every £100k they will get only $160k compared to $240k in more normal times.

(2) The cost of living in Australia housing / mortgage renting is far higher than even a few years ago relative to Australian wages.

Global house prices

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2011/03/global_house_prices

There's nothing 'abnormal' about the present FX rate from GBP to AUD - it's just part of the 'normal' fluctuation over the years. When I came out in 1978, the FX rate was as bad as it is now - I think I got about $750 for the initial 500 quid I opened my first bank account with.

I read in The Australian that, just as there is a rise in the numbers of British born Aussie residents returning to the UK, so there is also a rise in the number of Aussies living in the UK going back to Australia.

Archived