Number of Britons Emigrating to Oz Drops

connaust

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who cares?

This is a forum for people moving or thinking about moving from Australia to Britain and vise versa so probably quite a few people care.

perhaps australia has losts its appeal to people in the UK in these troubled times:unsure:

I dont think Australia has lost it's appeal i think it is more to do with the exchange rate and the cost of moving, i just dont think people can afford to go, i reckon if the exchange rate was better and people had a bit more confidence then you would have more than ever making the move, only my opinion though :unsure:

Australian dream fades for Brits - report

"THE number of Britons emigrating to Australia each year has almost halved, according to new figures published by British media.

Britain's Office for National Statistics has released data showing that residents of Blighty are leaving at their lowest rate for more than a decade."

Its a shame in my opinion that those statistics do not also apply to Britain as we have just had another massive immigration year with record figures settling here :nah:, so much for the tories bringing the figures down :mad:

Guest Guest 47403
I dont think Australia has lost it's appeal i think it is more to do with the exchange rate and the cost of moving, i just dont think people can afford to go, i reckon if the exchange rate was better and people had a bit more confidence then you would have more than ever making the move, only my opinion though :unsure:

Isn't it sad that the poor state the UK has got itself into is preventing people moving to a better life elsewhere.

Isn't it sad that the poor state the UK has got itself into is preventing people moving to a better life elsewhere.

Yep, like i said baz if all the people that wanted to move to oz could afford it then Britain would be quite a lot less crowded than it is now.

Guest jamesandstephcole

I'm with Maryrose on this to be honest.

the decision to go to oz is about the opportunities for me and my family... everyone else is irrelevant (totally selfish I know!) and if no one else wants to go anymore, it doesnt change my decision, but hopefully it will make it easier to get in, and easier to settle once we get there

I'm with Maryrose on this to be honest.

the decision to go to oz is about the opportunities for me and my family... everyone else is irrelevant (totally selfish I know!) and if no one else wants to go anymore, it doesnt change my decision, but hopefully it will make it easier to get in, and easier to settle once we get there

Ok then who care's, lets not bother discussing it, and by the way if it is just about you and your family ( which is fair enough ) why are you bothering with a forum because here everybody helps each other out with the whole process of emigrating.

Guest jamesandstephcole

Hey, don't take me the wrong way, I'm all up for the discussion, its just my opinion that we should not pity or worry ourselves with the people who choose not to take this route

Lets not care too much about the people who are not coming to oz, and more about the people who are. - I live in daily fear that Ozzy Immigration will make another change to the system or to the numbers allowed in, that will exclude my possible entry! - this is a big fear! - so I dont want to sound dismissive of the topic, but its not a real problem is it!

As for why I'm on the forum, the same reason as most of the other people here (I assume) to share in the experiences of others who are taking the same road, to hopefully help them, and to get help back. - not completely selfish, but not selfless either

Its also fun and reassuring!

so lotsa people move into the uk, makes the uk a dump!?, lotsa people move to oz, means oz is paradise?. i dont get it.

over the years people move around the world and numbers ebb and flow, people here aussies that is when they chat say'this country is going down hill fast' is far too expensive to live especially perth'

going down the gurgler'. same words I heard in uk and no doubt other countries i could be in i would hear the same. if personally you are happy wherever why worry or try and force peeps to accept your opinions.

Ok then who care's, lets not bother discussing it, and by the way if it is just about you and your family ( which is fair enough ) why are you bothering with a forum because here everybody helps each other out with the whole process of emigrating.

+ 1:notworthy:

Guest sh7t man no way

and a valid opinion indeed andy--money does play an important part in your future concerns,and confidence also is a major factor--but putting these aside surely the future has to be better as we are led to believe in australia--surly sacrifice of some sort comes into play when trying to live the dream-or is it all about timing--which could take a lifetime to get the balance right--sometimes just going for it does pay of:wub:or does it:wideeyed:

I Agee, OZ has not lost its appeal. Just too expensive now for most people

Guest lobsters
yeah i agree, maybe some people are too scared to sell their house and take the risk or they simply cant sell their houses. could be loads of reasons

We can't sell our house so we're stuck here. The strong Aussie dollar versus the pathetic Euro makes the move more expensive too. :mad:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Due to the long deep financial crisis thats been facing the uk for the last 3 years, coupled with Australia doing so well, the result is the exchange rate has plummeted and from being nearly $3 to£1 it is now just $1.5 to £1. This is a massive loss for thousands of us who applied for our visas and worked out roughly how much we would have and now we are down hundreds of thousands of dollars and i for one can't stomach such a loss having grafted for 35 years to get my money. It has become a whole lot harder to get to the best country in the world, one of a few that never went into recession and i see no real change in the uks financial situation anytime soon. Spending English pounds in Australia has become twice as dear over the 2 or 3 years and i can imagine this is one of the main reasons as to why less people are emigrating.

Due to the long deep financial crisis thats been facing the uk for the last 3 years, coupled with Australia doing so well, the result is the exchange rate has plummeted and from being nearly $3 to£1 it is now just $1.5 to £1. This is a massive loss for thousands of us who applied for our visas and worked out roughly how much we would have and now we are down hundreds of thousands of dollars and i for one can't stomach such a loss having grafted for 35 years to get my money. It has become a whole lot harder to get to the best country in the world, one of a few that never went into recession and i see no real change in the uks financial situation anytime soon. Spending English pounds in Australia has become twice as dear over the 2 or 3 years and i can imagine this is one of the main reasons as to why less people are emigrating.

Another factor is that since 2008, DIAC have made it an awful lot harder to get a visa which would allow you to emigrate to Australia...

The 3-1 exchange rate hasn't been there since 2002 - nearly a decade ago. The solution is to not bring money from the UK until if / when there is a recovery. Rent your house out and rent one here. Don't wish your life away until it is too late mate.

Yep its the government that are making it hard for us to go, all the companies keep telling us they're trying to make it easier to sponsor excavator operators but nothings happened. we dont have a house to sell or anything like that so not much else to stop us going apart from that

Guest sh7t man no way

some people say australia is vastly overrated:unsure:perhaps its not what it seems:confused:sometimes it may be better to stick rather than twist (in a game of cards sense) rather than gamble on something that may not give you what you want out of life:daydreaming:hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm now theres a thought--is australia overrated:unsure:now theres a question

Its brave to migrate and give up what you have and these days people are no longer as bad off as they were in the former years of mass migration. So it has to be a very strong pull to go. We have troubled times and I know I would not move until I saw some stability in the world economy as its so interlinked.

Its a worry though I like my birthplace however I could not live there now as the population keeps on increasing and increasing, its the same here in Melbourne, however I can get in my car drive for an hour and get into the country and its silent and open, spacious and empty which suits me fine.

Sunday in a village in UK nowhere to park, people shoulder to shoulder just does not give me the peaceful day out I like

Archived