English Food Poms miss

rachuk1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an English food in Collins Street in the CBD, they may do it, have got some good stuff, Coles has pukker Branston Pickle.

you can get irn bru in some coles in the english section as well as Yorkshire pudding mix, mushy peas, paxo stuffing mix, curry sauces (not technically english but english curry sauces, you know what i mean) Dr pepper and a few other things that i cant remember

you can get irn bru in some coles in the english section as well as Yorkshire pudding mix, mushy peas, paxo stuffing mix, curry sauces (not technically english but english curry sauces, you know what i mean) Dr pepper and a few other things that i cant remember

Sacrilege !!

What are the crisps like out there?

I like a good pizza too, do they have pizza hut, papa johns or something of the equivalent?

We don't buy Pizza here although you can get it, my partner makes awesome Pizza's so we have no need to bother but I do know that a lot of the bowlo's have pizza and chinese around Coffs Harbour... and aparently Pizza hut is also here in bigger areas..

To be honest I don't really miss any food from the uk but I haven't lived there for over 5 years now. If I had to miss something it would probably be stuff like:

cured back bacon

english mustard

branston pickle

HP Sauce

I think you can get the last two here in Holland but it is frustrating going to an eetcafe and they never have hp sauce.

Should be interesting to see how the food is in Australia, but I am sure there will be an abundance of fine chinese, indian and italian supermarkets etc...Well in the main cities I hope!

• 4 weeks later...

As time goes on everything we loved in the UK has been replaced with something Aussie! Pizza Capers as mentioned above is fantastic and not a bad price for the quality, we were Dominos fans before though that's not an issue as Dominos is a) widely available here b) was never a UK chain to start with! Pub pizzas can be great too, I had an Aussie BBQ Meatlovers (seems to be the official national variety) at a pub, $5 and delicious, and enough to bag up and take half home!

I did miss Snack A Jacks for a healthy(ish) snack but Fantastic Delites are way nicer, just wish they came in small bags as I can't open a box without finishing it!

Another healthy(ish) snack was Quaker oat cereal bars, I used to eat them like sweeties. No equivalent here and most cereal bars are a bit nasty - too sweet. But Aldi sells a fantastic oat & seed bar with a bit of cinnamon so that's the Quaker replacement - different but possibly nicer.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys.

Now i Love my food here in the UK but in my opinion I cant wait to get our visas ans get to oz....the food and beer is great!

I love the selection of good meat, rissoles, steak, seafood (proper seafood) and the lagers like hahn, toohey, barecove radler, cascade etc are great and fit in so well with the aussie weather.

One thing i dont get though is chicken salt......what the hell is that all about?!?

I will miss the UK prices of food and bacon but other wise give me aussie food anyday!

Dan

Hey Guys.

Now i Love my food here in the UK but in my opinion I cant wait to get our visas ans get to oz....the food and beer is great!

I love the selection of good meat, rissoles, steak, seafood (proper seafood) and the lagers like hahn, toohey, barecove radler, cascade etc are great and fit in so well with the aussie weather.

One thing i dont get though is chicken salt......what the hell is that all about?!?

I will miss the UK prices of food and bacon but other wise give me aussie food anyday!

Dan

Proper seafood ? Where do you think ours comes from? The Manchester ship canel. :laugh:

To be honest I don't really miss any food from the uk but I haven't lived there for over 5 years now. If I had to miss something it would probably be stuff like:

cured back bacon

english mustard

branston pickle

HP Sauce

I think you can get the last two here in Holland but it is frustrating going to an eetcafe and they never have hp sauce.

Should be interesting to see how the food is in Australia, but I am sure there will be an abundance of fine chinese, indian and italian supermarkets etc...Well in the main cities I hope!

Well, there is no Febo, always a good starting point in my book :P

I don't know either! I'm sure it appeared in Oz only a few years ago. Maybe it's a US import (like so many other things these days)?

Archived