English Food Poms miss

rachuk1

OK, I can give you five foods I still miss as a Brit who lived in the Netherlands for many years. And elsewhere. Its not mutually exclusive you have to miss British food after all ;)

1) Pretzels. And not those crappy things in a crisp bag. Proper pretzels, salted and smothered in cream cheese. Germany has them in abundance and they used to be my breakfast of choice on the way to work in Hamburg of a morning.

2) Filet American (and steak Tartar). Raw mince beef, herbs and spices to give it a tomatoey peppery flavour and eaten on fresh bread with raw chopped onion sprinkled on top. A Dutch dish and probably my favourite thing ever.

3) A proper bagel. Seriously, what we call a bagel here in the UK is an insult to bagels. New York, deli, freshly ordered and made up, best in the world.

4) Ben and Jerry's coffee heath bar crunch ice cream. A flavour not sold outside North America, at least not sold in Europe, defo not the UK. Shame as its my favourite and I've not eaten it in eons.

5) Paella. Made the Spanish way. None of our UK half arsed cooked on a hob effort for me. My gene pool is partly Spanish and its a dish I grew up on.

Oddly, when overseas living I didn't miss UK stuff at all really. The only thing I insisted on finding somewhere was Marmite. Other than that I took to the local food and also liked the type of restaurants that were popular in the countries I was living in. Thai, Japanese and Peruvian all became favourites with me. Never looked at an Indian in the UK in the same way again :cute:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think moving to Aus I'll miss silly foods like flavoured hummus, a good venison pate and a good chorizo. Hopefully I'll be able to find something similar but if not, I'll get inventive and maybe give it a go and make my own. Or just eat the salami they sell in Coles that I rather liked. Was rather scrummy :>

Fresh Cheshire, Lancashire, Caerphilly and Wensleydale cheeses. You can get cheshire in Woolies but it's a bit dry after its long voyage!

Tesco's pork and leek sausages, may have to resort to making my own...

Cadbury's Wispa chocolate bars

Frijj milkshakes

Tiger Bread (again something I will have a go at when the rest of my kitchen arrives!)

Oh and as a sixth, cherry coke! Though they do now sell Dr Pepper in Coles which comes a close second.

In truth there isn't a great deal you miss, just a few little things. And many of them you can recreate, the problem is it just takes a bit of time to perfect the recipes, and I work more hours here so less time to cook.

Oh no I forgot the most important thing! Cornish Pasties!!!!

Though I do make a pretty good pasty, it's not the same as popping into the Horse and Jockey in Helston and then taking your pasty to the beach, only able to eat half as they're so big. So then you re-wrap it and save the rest for later! Morrish's my local chippy in Redruth was pretty darn good too.

I miss my local Indian restaurant.... Have yet to find an Indian here that can compare! I also miss original McVities digestives with dark chocolate, the Green & Black chocolate with sour cherry inside, going to a pub on a Sunday for a carvery, Guinness at every opportunity and John Smiths.

There's plenty of fresh veg, just get Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls new veg book - excellent veggie food without having to buy meat substitutes. But eating out here, I don't think the chefs really respect vegetarianism all that much so you probably couldn't be sure if your meal has been prepared on the same hotplate as meat and stuff like that.

Just found out a few weeks ago that one of the Foodland stores at Fairview park SA stocks Linda Macarteny products , Most Woolworths and Coles stock Quorn and another range of veggie food is Frys and a lot of the asian supermarkets have different veg food Much easier to be a vegetarian in Australia now, then when all our family turned veggie 25 years ago ,we were all considered crazy!!

yeah, you gotta love these European supermarkets, eh?

There's a lot of halloumi around in Melbourne, unsurprisingly, but the pukka squeaky stuff you get from Aldi.

We were very disappointed with halloumi that just crumbled in to bits, then Aldi came to Melbourne and saved us.:biggrin:

Woolworths here has two kinds of halloumi--a version made in Aus and a proper imported Cypriot one. The Australian one is fine (certainly no crumbling and it fries up nicely) but the Cypriot is better. I always watch the discount stickers because the more expensive imported one seems not to sell well and often gets marked down!

I was feeling self righteous about not missing anything much (other than my favourite local curry house which really WAS good--but I'd even miss that when away from home in the UK!

However, as of today, I have a craving for some really good black pudding and/or some proper haggis. I don't fancy my chances of either.

Not much - when in Rome etc etc

Cooked meats aren't great both in terms of quality and price IMO, whether that be in the supermarket or butcher. I'm sure you can find better stuff but we've tried all supermarkets and at least 4 butchers and been disappointed so far. Odd, since fresh meat is excellent in both price and quality.....so I suppose I miss the choice

Cheese, similar story, although good stuff is readily available, you just have to pay through the nose for it

There's plenty of stuff I would buy in the UK and you can get here but I don't buy here, because I'd rather buy local, and/or the imported stuff is too expensive. British cider and beer, for example. I remember going Inter-railing round Europe 20 years ago and dropping in to the supermarket (think it was called Liptons?) in Gib and being astounded by the sad articles driving there from the Costa del Sol to buy Sunblest bread and McVitie's biscuits for huge sums when there were equivalent/superior Spanish brands readily available everywhere, and vowing never to be like that wherever I lived

It was a bit of a challenge in Kazakstan, I can tell you. Here it's a piece of cake Lamington :biggrin:

I did some food xmas shopping today. bought some cheese: goats cheese (dutch) and Manchego (spanish).....mmmmmmmm

anyway, for the in laws on xmas day, I'll serve up the Aussie cheese platter which was $10.99 @ woolies:biglaugh:

Oooh, we did that last night! 3 boxes of crackers, and 4 cheeses which were:

Manchego (snap! love the stuff)

Whitestone Windsor Blue from NZ - reasonable price and delicious, guess who chomped at the bit to open that?!

One of those squishy rounds of sweet chilli cream cheese

A Tasmanian cheese flavoured with wasabi!!

We love trying new stuff as much as the old faves, and the wasabi cheese is certainly a wild card!

That was Woolies, I wish I'd thought on and checked the deli just outside Coles in the shopping centre though, they have oodles of genuine European cheese and I'll bet the manchego would've been cheaper!

It was a bit of a challenge in Kazakstan, I can tell you. Here it's a piece of cake Lamington :biggrin:

Things I do NOT miss from Kazakhstan: the fermented mare's milk I was dared to try. One of the most disgusting flavours ever--and I try most foods!

Things I do NOT miss from Kazakhstan: the fermented mare's milk I was dared to try. One of the most disgusting flavours ever--and I try most foods!

I'll try anything but Kava (fermented myself) tasted disgusting the effect was nice though...............Lost all feeling in my gob for hours..............at least it shut me up!

Not sure what im gonna miss yet ,

Whats the bread like in Oz ??? sliced toaster type and french stick type ???????????????

looking forward to vegimite as i luuuuuuuuuurve Marmite :-)

coffee question , can u get the following??

Carte Noir , normal and decaf

Nescaffe , not gold or original but Blend 37 , cap columbi , peruvian , etc

Decent ground for my Bodum ??

lee

Not sure what im gonna miss yet ,

Whats the bread like in Oz

Coles own bakery sliced I don't care for but strangely enough, I asked 'em to save one for me each day before they slice it. Same ,but somehow, unsliced, it just tastes yummy, particularly toasted at the thickness I slice myself. i also like their tiger bread unsliced.

Archived