Aircraft Maintenance Engineers - TRA / Victoria University Skills Assessment

Guest guest48800

When I came over recently all that was needed was to pass the Air Legislation exam. My company put us on a course using a mob in Brisbane called Queensland Aerospace. Passed course, sent EASA licence to CASA then after a bit of to and fro finally got a CASA un-restriced B2.

I have the grant letter from CASA, im just waiting to go to sit the AA course.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the grant letter from CASA, im just waiting to go to sit the AA course.

When you do come over and get your licence make sure you check and double check it as CASA seem to put random exclusions on there which you may need to fight your case to have removed. I initially went from full EASA B2 to just Radio licenced under the CASA system. After some discussions and proof of Inst and Elec experience the restictions were eventually lifted to have full unrestricted B2 again. They seem to pick and choose what you can and cannot have depending on the day and person dealing with your application.

• 5 weeks later...

How can they not know who is doing it? I also paid over AUD3500 last year to do it through Vic Uni. So future AME applications should just send everything off to TRA and see what becomes of their application? They change their rules so often, they can't even keep up!

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks s92lame went through the lta process and got the letter from casa saying just need to do the AA exam. Sat a aa course in Brisbane after a course with queensland aerospace college. Now one final form should get the casa licence, took a lot longer than i expected though.

I have only completed 2 modules from the EASA modules. I am considering switching over to CASA upon arrival in Australia - would anyone recommend it or should I just complete EASA and convert later. EASA seems to have more modules than CASA, am I understanding there modules correctly then? I don't see any modules with physics and math for example? Would I also require a different logbook or must I purchase one through the CASA website? Advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If you were planning to go out there asap I'd recommend doing your casa licence. However this cannot be transferred to an easa licence but an easa licence (with active type) can be transferred to casa. If your staying in the UK for a few years I'd recommend going for the easa licence as a UK issued easa is highly regarded (they're all supposed to be equal but trust me they're not).

Am I correct in understanding CASA only has 8 modules (avionics)? I don't see some of the modules that EASA has on the CASA website? Will CASA accept my current logbook or would I need to purchase one from CASA and get all the necessary info and signatures in there before I leave. I am currently in talks with a company in Oz regarding potential employment, it's just the license......

Not sure about modules or log books, but I know the uk caa have been funny with australian log books. Wouldn't be too difficult to double up log book wise as it's a long trip back if you need it down the line. Although they do seem to be a lot less officious there than caa.

Are we able to use our outcomes letter as proof of obtaining a certificate IV qualification or is it only for migration purposes? Would I need to have my skills reassessed to gain RPL? I am looking at getting the CASA license for now, but dreading the thought of having to pay all the money again to have the sames skills assessed. Victoria University still has not issued me my certificate saying that as of 1 July 2012 they are no longer required to issue a certificate. :(

No, its a separate thing.

if you have a licence already, it cost me $265 to get it converted, plus the costs of getting the AA exam done.

only having a few modules may not get you much. might be better to start again if you are def going anyway.

Aeroskills cert is different again as thats a college thing. best speaking to Padstow TAFE or i think Kangan-Batman TAFE do it as well. i didnt di this so cant say for definate.

Hi All

This is my story, any suggestions on how i should proceed will be appreciated.

Currently i am working in Saudi Arabia (cant wait to get out!!!) with an FAA A&P. I have completed all the part 66 modules for the B1 license although i haven't worked a day in a part 145 repair station. I have tried to get the EASA B1 from the UK CAA recently and got shot down. Soon i will be trying will the Greeks, hopefully it will go through.

I also have a Part 147 type course on the A320 but no type rating (huge waste of money)

So for migration, the TRA assessed my skill as as comparable to certificate IV

Recently i also received a certificate IV from Aviation Australia (big mistake!!! please nobody go to these guys)

With this situation... what can i possible do to get a CASA licence, will the modules count towards anything??

Thanks for any input

Citation560xl

prob the best thing you could do is come to the uk and work here to get the experience reqd for an EASA licence.

you can get recognition for your A&P towards a CASA licence, but you need to sit the CTC exam which is a full day exam on every part of the syllabus. but if you pass you gdt the same dispensation as a UK CAA licenced applicant.

if you get your CAA licence, then you could start using your A320 type rating. if you go the greek route, noone will take you seriously.

i wouldnt say your cert 4 is useless, but i have also been told aviation australia is a waste of time and money. they wanted to charge me nearly $2000 for what CASA only charged me $265 for.

Thank you for your reply. One more thing... are there any N regs flying around especially in the NT. I have a type rating on the citation excel as well but i am not sure if there are any in AU. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Well ,things here are progressing, i now have 8 modules completed, 7 months logged experience on 747, A330, A340 and still a year to go til im finally out of the military, so i should be licensed with a few months to spare!

We have decided to move out on the OH's quals, as they are still on the list, IELTS results are back, she got 9's across the board, so just waiting on a positive skill assessment for her.

has anyone had any luck securing aviation work prior to departing the UK?

reading through the posts, it seems like casa, seem to not be very consistant with what they want, is this the case?

Cheers

i now have 8 modules completed, 7 months logged experience on 747, A330, A340 and still a year to go til im finally out of the military, so i should be licensed with a few months to spare!

I dont want to put a dampener on your plans, but getting your license isnt quite a simple as just doing some part 145 work over the course of a year, and the CAA are getting more and more strict on military experience, and the required civil exp to qualify. they are getting more strict with the requirement to actually be working full time for that year. i would make sure you speak to the CAA about that if you havent already.

and when going to CASA to have your licence changed, you need to have been certifying on a type for a min 6 months before they will do it. which means you need to be employed as a certifying engineer somewhere.

tons of work for lames in Aus especially in offshore helicopters. CHC, Bond and Bristow all recruiting aggresively.

Archived