Aircraft Maintenance Engineers - TRA / Victoria University Skills Assessment

Guest guest48800

Hi people,

I am a B2/B1.3 CAA licenced engineer and looking to start the process of emigration. The strange bit is that we've been recommended to use my wife as the primary (She's a universtity lecturer) and me as a partner visa.

Does anybody have any good sites to look for work for me? I'm aware I'll need to convert my licence, I'll do that nearer the time.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

RW

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi people,

I am a B2/B1.3 CAA licenced engineer and looking to start the process of emigration. The strange bit is that we've been recommended to use my wife as the primary (She's a universtity lecturer) and me as a partner visa.

Does anybody have any good sites to look for work for me? I'm aware I'll need to convert my licence, I'll do that nearer the time.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

RW

Ive been looking for a couple of years now, and i have yet to come accross anything very good. nothing like aviationjobsearch.com. Closest is a recruitment company called Macro recruitment. i havent contacted them but they say they are the people to go to for LAME jobs.

im hoping to transfer with CHC but i dont know if itll work doing 2on 2off with my wife on her own while im away. we have no kids as yet, but she is a geologist so shouldnt have trouble getting a job.

we applied on my occupation but at the time it was easier to get in as a tradesman, now though the process has changed a lot and i think it is more aimed at getting graduates in.

Hi steven,

Its all basic technical questions and very fair. I am AME mechanical and slightly he touched the avionics side also. ( not deep). Can I know how many years experiance you have.

cheers.

I have 12 years experience in the Aviation Industry. I have been Licensed for over 6 years now with B737 NG, A320, A330, A340 type ratings. I have also recently amended my licence from a B1 to a B1/B2. No B2 type rating as yet.

So anyone who has submitted the docs.....Did you supply task cards and tech-log pages for your evidence? I am just relying on my log-book. Any advice on that?

Cheers

Steven

Guest rameshbabu
I have 12 years experience in the Aviation Industry. I have been Licensed for over 6 years now with B737 NG, A320, A330, A340 type ratings. I have also recently amended my licence from a B1 to a B1/B2. No B2 type rating as yet.

So anyone who has submitted the docs.....Did you supply task cards and tech-log pages for your evidence? I am just relying on my log-book. Any advice on that?

Cheers

Steven

Hi Steven,

No need of task cards. I submitted past 5 years (from the date of submission) log book only. More over you must address on the elective point which they asked in the application form. Core units-8 and elective units-13. Thats enough.

cheers.

Guest rameshbabu
Hi Rameshbabu,

Even I have submitted my papers with VU. I am also AME-mechanical. Can you kindly explain in little detail the type of questions they asked in your assessment? 2 hours....... OMG thats real test

Hi Sajeev,

Its all very basic fundamental questions and he covered most ATA chapters. And also he gone through the basic knowledge on mechanical, engine theory, electrical etc. Seems like no need to worry if have some experiance in industry. I mention 2 hours, is including introduction and conclusion talks.

Best of luck.

cheers.

Hi Sajeev,

Its all very basic fundamental questions and he covered most ATA chapters. And also he gone through the basic knowledge on mechanical, engine theory, electrical etc. Seems like no need to worry if have some experiance in industry. I mention 2 hours, is including introduction and conclusion talks.

Best of luck.

cheers.

Thanks Ramesh.....

Guest rameshbabu

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how long VU take to send the successfull aeroskill letter after completing the Technical interview.

Thank you.

cheers.

Guest rameshbabu
I asked the agent to email them as they were taking too long and we wanted to submit our EOI. I received it the next day with an apology for taking so long.

Thank you for the details. Let me drop them a mail on monday.

cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rameshbabu

Hi Guys,

I got successfull outcome mail from VU today.:xmas11:

Thank you for all guys helped with details.

Regards.

• 5 months later...

hi, really interesting finding this thread and wish you all good luck getting to oz. Haven't been on this forum for a while as we got our 176 a few years ago. We went through TRA for the visa. I used to serve in the Army as an avionics tech but left about 12 years ago so luckily manged to get electrics under the old section 'l' licencing system. Was just surfing through the site as i'm about to convert my easa licence to an aussie one and was fishing for some info. I saw a few other posts about having to have a type on your licence to convert to the aussie one and believe that's still the case. Also after finishing in the military you need 12 months experience in a 145 maintenance organisation before they will grant you your licence, and to make matters worse not only do you have to sit a theory course. You also have to have completed OJT just to get the type from august this year. I had a restriction on my B2 and had to remove it and go for a new type to suit the city where we want to go and it's a hard slog. Its been three years now and we're just about ready to make the move as there's a lot of moving goalposts to jump through. Now wondering if I also need an aeroskills certificate to gain employment there? assumed a licence would be enough, anyway one more goalpost shouldn't be too hard.

No need for aeroskills certificate if you have a license. thats their apprenticship equivelant certificate.

I sent my licence for conversion last year. its easy and straight forward if you do it under the LTA system and only cost me $260

Anyone done the CTC exams? We were under the impression all we needed to do was Australian Legislation in order to convert. It all seems so complicated now.

If you have a UK issued licence, you dont need to do the CTC exams. Use the LTA system and you should only need to do the Aviation Administration exam as you would be granted all other passes as long as you meet the criteria.

I am currently in the middle east. The exam centre is IGIT (Air Training Service) with a moderator coming from the UK to present the courses and exams. Not sure if that will count toward a UK licence, probably not. Does anyone know if I don't get round to completing all the modules before we leave if I will be able to get credit for modules already completed or would I have to start from scratch again? This is really bothering me

People on this thread, I don't want to panic you and I know nothing about the details of your profession but a number of Aircraft maintenance roles have just been removed from the SOL - you will be able to get the details on DIAC website. So sorry if this is bad news for anyone.

I am currently in the middle east. The exam centre is IGIT (Air Training Service) with a moderator coming from the UK to present the courses and exams. Not sure if that will count toward a UK licence, probably not. Does anyone know if I don't get round to completing all the modules before we leave if I will be able to get credit for modules already completed or would I have to start from scratch again? This is really bothering me

If you get the certificates from AST with their part-147 number then present them to the UK CAA for issue of licence from them. talk to the instructor they will give you the whole story. they should be the same certificates i have as i did all my modules through them at Perth(UK).

Sorry to say, but you will get no credit for modules. to get credit you must have been certifying for minimum of 6 months on EASA(UK) reg aircraft.

People on this thread, I don't want to panic you and I know nothing about the details of your profession but a number of Aircraft maintenance roles have just been removed from the SOL - you will be able to get the details on DIAC website. So sorry if this is bad news for anyone.

Still there as far as i can see. list is from July 12

Have to be honest I was surprised to see that many aircraft trades drop of the list at the same time. Got my visa last Jun and a friend of mine has just got his a couple of weeks ago, so it appears we timed it just right! Sorry if this news stops anybody in the process.

Anyone who is affected can still get their application in before 1st July, I guess that's why on the DIAC website it is still on the list.

If you have a UK issued licence, you dont need to do the CTC exams. Use the LTA system and you should only need to do the Aviation Administration exam as you would be granted all other passes as long as you meet the criteria.

When I came over recently all that was needed was to pass the Air Legislation exam. My company put us on a course using a mob in Brisbane called Queensland Aerospace. Passed course, sent EASA licence to CASA then after a bit of to and fro finally got a CASA un-restriced B2.

Archived