Aircraft Maintenance Engineers - TRA / Victoria University Skills Assessment

Guest guest48800

Hi,

Ref the trade assessment interview over the web. Well had heard all sorts of horror stories about 1hr and 1/2 with people taking in tools etc but for me (us) guess it's a bit impractical but had decided to gen up a bit and put off the interview until I was happy I could talk about all subjects with some authority however didn't need to bother.

The trade assessment interview is based on assessing you against the Certificate 4 in Aeroskills which is the minimum you need to work in the aviation industry which is what the TRADSET is based on. However the assessment is based on the last three years and have you carried out these "skills" daily. Not too much of a problem if you have been on a squadron but was for me. However because of my supervisory/QA/manufacturing background (all backed up by the info I sent as part of a made up log book (which I based on my PDR with references from my CO, Boss and Line Manager)) I was assessed against a Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance which is a higher level so all good there. He went through all entires on the TRADESET and basically said how he could see how I have been doing this (or something higher in my case). It took 27 mins and was all over before I got into my stride.

The licences he suggested i finish before I get there (assuming all goes well) as it not only shows learning but should speed up the Aircraft Licence their end and could result in some exemptions.

Any other questions drop me a line and I will try to answer them. I wrote my Log Book and all that as if I was applying for a job or doing a write up ie "worked on the main gate" turns into "responsible for security of a military establishment whilst working as part of a team reacting calmly and quickly to all emergency and non emergency situations". Make sense?

Andy

Hi Andy / Woodster,

I'm Also an Aircraft Mechanic and will be submitting my Application form for assessment anytime soon. I'm worried about the Tech interview. Can you shed some more light on the Interview itself? How "deep" are the questions? I had my practical interview for FAA last two years and it made me sick the next day. What kind of questions are they asking? Hope you can help me. How did you prepare for the exam? Thanks in advance.

Teng

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im sorry i cant tell you for definate, i didnt need to do it, but i believe they are just trying to make sure you can pass an aeroskills IV certificate. basically, if you passed your apprenticship and remember the basics then you should be ok.

Hi,

have done the skype interview recently myself(3 weeks ago) If you have experience in aviation then you really don't need to worry. Basically all you have to do is talk about the evidence you have submitted and elaborate on certain things so as the examiner can satisfy themselves that you are qualified in aviation. Honest to god the gentlemen who interviewed me tried his hardest to make me feel relaxed and is not after tripping you up.

Guest guest48800
Hi Andy / Woodster,

I'm Also an Aircraft Mechanic and will be submitting my Application form for assessment anytime soon. I'm worried about the Tech interview. Can you shed some more light on the Interview itself? How "deep" are the questions? I had my practical interview for FAA last two years and it made me sick the next day. What kind of questions are they asking? Hope you can help me. How did you prepare for the exam? Thanks in advance.

Teng[/quote

Hi Teng,

The interview was very straightforward really and as I mentioned above the chap carrying out the assessment was very nice and put me at ease immediately. He just went through the Tradeset report and discussed what I had submitted. He mostly told me where I had met the criteria and just wanted a bit of charity on a couple of points. The reply below from the chap who took it a few weeks ago pretty much reflects what I experienced. You wont have problem with it........ Just gotta get a job the other end!

Good luck

Andy

Teng it was Andy who answered me a few months ago and having done the int, he was totally right. The only thing that might have changed since Andy did it was a few questions on environmental workshop practices. Again all I did was get some examples from work on our emergency spillage plans, waste pol and qa policies etc etc. They sprung this on me a week before the int, and said it was a new thing.

Andy how's things going for yourself, what stage are you at now and have you any work plans for when u arrive?

I am awaiting a reply from WA for state sponsorship, Victoria turned us down. Said I met the criteria but was unable to sponsor me at present, so it's fingers crossed for WA.

• 2 months later...
Guest Davesaint1

Hi there, sorry to hijack your thread. But I'm at the beginning of all of my applications. I'm in the airforce as an aircraft tech (mechanical) currently working on a squadron. After putting most of my file together for engineers Australia the process has changed......typical. So now it's done by Victoria university. Which is ok but in the paper work for evidence etc things are worded slightly different. I was wondering if I could get some advice on; the types of evidence submitted, letterheads used, and employer statements? As I'm at a bit of a loss trying to figure all of this out only own. As I was aware the old way of evidence submission was done by carrer episodes which I understood. Nowim asked to supply a minimum of 3 employer statements and it has left me a little confused. Il appreciate all feedback. Many thanks. David saint

Just thought I'd update, our agent had a reply from TRA and while there wasn't a definite answer regarding the need for licenses (we've taken this as a good sign that it's not a big problem), they did clear up the "log book" issue. As suspected (but needed to have it confirmed before we could move forward) OH can submit a detailed, verified/certified, work history as he doesn't hold a "log book". Good news!:biggrin:

Hi there we were in EXACTLY the same position as my OH worked for MoD and had no log book etc , we opted for applying for Electronic Trade Worker General assessed by TRA themselves- sorry can't remember the the code off the SOL list. Part of what influenced our decision was the cost, $600 TRA application fee rather than $3000 with Victoria University. It was easier to be assessed this way for us. Let me know if you need any more info Ali

David,

All i did was give photocopies of different types of work i have carried out over the past couple of yrs ie Scheduled maint, un scheduled maint, fault finding work, SOAP, EFD, Airtest paperwork, G/run paperwork etc etc I gave examples of 2 different platforms aswell. Being Army aviation im kind of limited with how many platforms i can work on any how.

Then i did a historic 22 yr detailed breakdown from my basic apprenticeship in 1991(god im old) to present day.This was then signed by my Aircraft Engineering Officer (AEO) with a short statement of i have known seth etc etc and its all true.

That along with my certificates of basic and supervisor courses in aviation was all the evidence i submitted, prior to the Skype interview.

Guest Davesaint1

Seth, thanks for your response. No I'm no where near as experienced as you, I am hoping my age will be a. Positive factor in my application. So putting a file together with various details on jobs, equipment used, tools etc will not be a problem. I am a qualified full engine ground runner so will speak about that too, though I have only worked on one aircraft type I have experience working 2nd line along side rolls Royce. I feel that most people on this thread have their licence. Is it pointless applying without a licence?

With the fee for the assessment being as steep as it is, do you know of any agents or methods of having my application looked at before I hand over £3000 only to find out I don't have enough experience or evidence.

Thanks again

David

I haven't got a licence and have only ever worked on rotary aircraft, lynx and gazelle. As long as you have a basic apprenticeship from training with the forces you should be ok from what I know. When it comes to your Skype interview the assessor will aim his questions at your skill level ie 1st or 2nd signature auth. Give as much proof of work carried out as possible and don't worry to much about the interview bit.

I don't know of any methods for having it all checked before but if your using an agent then they should be advising you accordingly.

dont worry too much about it. it takes a bit of work to get the stuff together but as long as you have passed an apprenticeship and can prove a couple of years work, you should be fine. the aircraft engineers trade does not require licenses, though it is licenced engineers they are mainly looking for.

if you can, try to get a licence from the CAA before you go. that way you can get you CASA licence easily but it doesnt work the otherway around.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just a quick question. I have just had a positive skill assessment returned from Vic Uni, and with it, it informs me that i have the technical knowledge passed to be awarded the Cert 4 aeroskills avionics. Does this mean I can claim points for them, when applying for my EOI?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am new to this forum, so be easy on me!! : ) I am also an EASA B1 engineer. I am starting to look at the skills assessment now. I have already converted my EASA licence to the CASA B1 through Aviatioon Australia. Do I really have to do the skills assessment if if I have an Australian licence???? This doesn't seem right!!

Most people on here seem to have done it the other way around. But I have got my licence first.

Has anyone done it this wat around? If so, did you have to go through the skills assessment?

Cheers

Steven

the short answer is, Yes you will.

holding a CASA licence has nothing to do with a skills assesment for immigration. if you look up the trade description/requirements for the aircraft engineers code it will say in there somewhere, "may require licencing/registration with appropriate body" or words to that effect.

Guest rameshbabu

Hi,

I applied skill assesment for Aircraft maintenance Engg with VU. I sent them all documents including Employer statement, log book, Licenses, 20 years experiance certificates...... etc.

After 5 weeks, the assessor ask me to address on 13 elective competencies.

I thought they consider only on valid, verified certificates and statements from authorised people. So I didnt write long summary on these work experiance seperately on Job Description.

Can any one help whether they particular on this self explaining job knowledge summary?

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Guest rameshbabu
OH did his assessment in August. He did not have to address anything though. Interview was over 1 1/2 hours though. Good luck with your application

Hi Victoria123,

Thank you for your details. Any how I wrote a big summary on what I work and submitted. Paper based assessment is successful and they fix the interview this week.

Bit tensed with what would ask in interview. whether general questions or how??????

Regards.

Hi all, just found this thread, and its now making me wonder if i have made a big mistake not starting my license earlier!!

I also am nearing the end of 23 years in the army, i have 22 months left, and have started studying for my 1st module exam in decembe, with the intention to complete as much as possible before we move, then do air leg on arrival in oz.

I had been advised the modules were transferrable for my license to be granted on completion of experience in oz, is this not the case??

is it even worth starting my license exams if i cant complete and gain my license experience prior to moving??

Not really sure which way to go with this now!!

you would have to do all of it again in Australia.

you can only apply for transition under the LTA system if you hold a licence from the UK or one of 5 other specified counties, and have been certifying for at least 6 months. if you are successful under LTA you will have to do at least the Air leg exam as it cannot be transfered and cannot be done outside the country. (except for exceptional circumstances you are unlikely to be part of.)

you dont need to have a licence to apply for skills assesment.

Guest rameshbabu
Bit tensed with what would ask in interview. whether general questions or how??????

OH says he was drilled on mainly the electrical questions - he is avionics qualified. If you don't know something, just be honest.

Hi Victoria123,

I finished my technical interview yesterday. The assessor said he is satisfied with everything and he would forward positive assessment to VU.

Interview held 2 Hrs and mine is AME - mechanical.

cheers.

Hi Victoria123,

I finished my technical interview yesterday. The assessor said he is satisfied with everything and he would forward positive assessment to VU.

Interview held 2 Hrs and mine is AME - mechanical.

cheers.

Any heads up on the questions? I'm not really sure what they can ask. I have just started the paperwork side of things. Trying to gain all the evidence is a nightmare.

Cheers

Steven

Guest rameshbabu
Any heads up on the questions? I'm not really sure what they can ask. I have just started the paperwork side of things. Trying to gain all the evidence is a nightmare.

Cheers

Steven

Hi steven,

Its all basic technical questions and very fair. I am AME mechanical and slightly he touched the avionics side also. ( not deep). Can I know how many years experiance you have.

cheers.

Archived