Thinking of moving back to the UK

Guest davethebear

Guest davethebear
I know where i came from in the Uk was not one of the best areas (Lytham St Annes ) and i know where i have come to in Australia ( after extensive travel ) is one of the best ( Caloundra ). I have made wonderful friends here and I am surrounded by beauty....

Iv been here just under 2 yrs and I'm now organizing to go home to that "**** hole" ( my words when i left) because it has more life and vibrancy than the whole of Australia put together ( imho )..

I am dead here...

Colette

Yeah, I said exactly that wording ****hole, after living in London for 9 years and being brought up in the Black Country (West Mids)..........but now I actually miss London and the vibrancy of life....I am trying so hard to like it here in Oz, but seems to be getting harder every day to stay....there are pro's and cons about living in either country....but the pro's of going back home tend to outweigh the balance and tipping towards the flight home to the big smoke to recharge my soul and existance...but if you never try, then you never know...it has been an experience, but once I leave, I doubt I will ever return.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I said exactly that wording ****hole, after living in London for 9 years and being brought up in the Black Country (West Mids)..........but now I actually miss London and the vibrancy of life....I am trying so hard to like it here in Oz, but seems to be getting harder every day to stay....there are pro's and cons about living in either country....but the pro's of going back home tend to outweigh the balance and tipping towards the flight home to the big smoke to recharge my soul and existance...but if you never try, then you never know...it has been an experience, but once I leave, I doubt I will ever return.

Hard to find the same buzz as London something I don't think Melbourne or Sydney could come near to......

Getting to grips with a change can be harder than most people think, you could spend years looking for something that just isn't there, but at the same time it can take years to settle and once that happens life becomes great

Guest Guest37175

It's funny, but I had that experience as soon as I arrived back in London. It was like a charge of adrenalin that made me feel like me again. I thought I might struggle with English cities after living in a small town in Oz, but stepping off the Heathrow Express at Paddington, even after a marathon flight, just felt right.

I was in Manchester the other day. It was grey and a bit chilly, but there was a buzz about the place that felt really familiar and recognisable in a way that I never experienced in Brissy. England's definitely a bit edgier than Oz in a kind of "Keep your eyes peeled for aggro" type way. That said, I've never been to Melbourne or Sydney so maybe they're a bit more in your face than Queensland?

But despite that obvious downside, I've found the majority of people (thus far) to be just as friendly and polite as they were in Oz. That has surprised me as I'd somehow come to see the UK as hostile and unfriendly during my years in Oz.

Just as going away was an eye-opener, so has been coming back too.

It's funny, but I had that experience as soon as I arrived back in London. It was like a charge of adrenalin that made me feel like me again. I thought I might struggle with English cities after living in a small town in Oz, but stepping off the Heathrow Express at Paddington, even after a marathon flight, just felt right.

I was in Manchester the other day. It was grey and a bit chilly, but there was a buzz about the place that felt really familiar and recognisable in a way that I never experienced in Brissy. England's definitely a bit edgier than Oz in a kind of "Keep your eyes peeled for aggro" type way. That said, I've never been to Melbourne or Sydney so maybe they're a bit more in your face than Queensland?

But despite that obvious downside, I've found the majority of people (thus far) to be just as friendly and polite as they were in Oz. That has surprised me as I'd somehow come to see the UK as hostile and unfriendly during my years in Oz.

just seeing the word Manchester makes me want to be there, I just loved the metro pulling up in the City,picking up the free newspaper grabbing a coffee,watching the world go by, chatting to whoever was next to me, good walk round for the buzz,then catch the metro to Sale for a chat with all my friends and neighbors, I feel settled In OZ but for the moment have a longing to be back for a while because of this thread ha

I really sympathise Dave. I was 40 when I arrived in Oz and I think my age contributed to a lot of the problems that I experienced with assimilating into a new country. I do think that the older we get, the less adaptable we become. Personally I too could have carried on living in Oz - my Australian partner and daughter were very happy there - but it just felt that a part of my heart had shut down. I realised that time spent with friends and family, doing stuff that I enjoyed (even something as ordinary as watching 'Match Of The Day') or just being around others with a shared frame of reference made me who I am. Being starved of family and friends, being asked to embrace activities I had no interest in (like going the beach) and being on the outside of conversations due to that lack of shared references or memories constantly reminded me that I was an outsider.

I always think that to live somewhere, to really live there, requires a sense of connectedness. Sometimes no matter how hard you try, or how long, you just can't find it.

Best of luck.

Agree with you about the "connectedness" and it's a strange thing on my part that I felt more connected to Australia and Perth, very quickly, than I ever did with England and the places I lived there. I felt there "must be something better than this" the whole time. I must have been lucky to find a lot of people, who we now call close friends, who have had the same outcome. Not all of them from England either.

I'm sure it can work for a lot of people, as it has for us.

Guest chris955

I found the exact same thing, I think I was expecting people to be miserable and surly but I found just the opposite. I even saw someone on here post that when they arrived back in the UK that 'people were just as rude as I remembered' I have no idea where they were but the only example of rudeness I experienced was a woman in Asda up in Yorkshire. I went to pick up my hire car and was waiting for all of 2 minutes and the manager came up and introduced himself and apologised for the wait. :biggrin: That pretty much set the tone for the trip to be honest.

Guest guest32776

I quite like a bit of rudeness. When I go back to the UK it is such a relief to go into a shop where the assistant doesn't pounce on you, follow you round, make irritating suggestions and ask how my day has been so far.... When I get off the plane at Heathrow it is just a delight to find a grumpy sarcy cab driver to chat to, to wake up in the morning and watch Jezza Kyle and his chav opera whilst chomping on frazzles washed down with non illuminous fanta. I prefer a bit of distain to the incessant inanities of niceness...

Guest colette12
I quite like a bit of rudeness. When I go back to the UK it is such a relief to go into a shop where the assistant doesn't pounce on you, follow you round, make irritating suggestions and ask how my day has been so far.... When I get off the plane at Heathrow it is just a delight to find a grumpy sarcy cab driver to chat to, to wake up in the morning and watch Jezza Kyle and his chav opera whilst chomping on frazzles washed down with non illuminous fanta. I prefer a bit of distain to the incessant inanities of niceness...

Ha Ha Ha ....Really Awesome post Charlie, how right you are... I too miss some good old fashioned Sarcasm, a bit of grit... It gets very draining being so bloody nice all the time...ha ha..

I miss Britishness, if there is such a word..

I have no idea where they were but the only example of rudeness I experienced was a woman in Asda up in Yorkshire.

If I hadn't known you'd only just gone back recently Chris, I would have laid money on the fact that the miserable lemon you encountered in Asda was.....ME!! :biglaugh:

I HATE grocery shopping :mad:

Yes I agree with all that. The point about kids miraculously having a better life and future is bizarre at best as it depends totally on the individual not the country they are in.

I can't remember when I had laughed so hard as when I was recently in the UK with long time friends. Life just seemed to be about having fun and enjoying themselves rather than who had the biggest house or best car.

Chris, I reckon me and you must live in some kind of parallel universe. I found exactly the opposite when I was in the UK. People were more interested in who had the biggest house or car than going out and having fun. I just put it down to there was not as much to do, mainly because of the weather, that people were more interested in their possessions and spent a lot of money on house renovations and "keeping up with the Joneses". Here we are all about getting out of the house and "having fun".

The point about kids having a better life depending TOTALLY on the individual is fine if the opportunities are the same. At the moment there are loads more opportunites for kids leaving school and university here than where I was from in the UK. Where you are from this may be different.

I see your point about having a laugh with long time friends though. That happened to me when we were back there on holiday but we had several more years of history to have a laugh about.

Chris, I reckon me and you must live in some kind of parallel universe. I found exactly the opposite when I was in the UK. People were more interested in who had the biggest house or car than going out and having fun. I just put it down to there was not as much to do, mainly because of the weather, that people were more interested in their possessions and spent a lot of money on house renovations and "keeping up with the Joneses". Here we are all about getting out of the house and "having fun".

The point about kids having a better life depending TOTALLY on the individual is fine if the opportunities are the same. At the moment there are loads more opportunites for kids leaving school and university here than where I was from in the UK. Where you are from this may be different.

I see your point about having a laugh with long time friends though. That happened to me when we were back there on holiday but we had several more years of history to have a laugh about.

I can see where you're coming from, Paul. We have recently had friends visit and while they're not even particularly materialistic people, they did comment quite a bit that they thought the fashion and cars were behind the UK and that they were surprised there were so many older cars on the road ... I don't even notice any of that usually because that's not what motivates us at all. As long as we're solvent and happy, I really don't care whether I'm driving an older car or wearing the latest labels, but then we've always been that way.

Sue x

Guest chris955

Yes it's the same when I see some of the things you post about this country, I wonder if it is a parallel Australia you are talking about. :laugh: None of my friends in the UK could care less what house or car others had and all seemed to have full lives and were always out and about. As with here it really does make a big difference where you are from in the UK as far as what opportunities exist. It's interesting seeing things from someone else's point of view though, even if it doesn't in anyway resemble your own. :wink:

Guest chris955

I'm not materialistic but I noticed how most cars in the UK were not as old as here, I just think it is things some people notice it doesn't mean those people are money motivated. I also noticed that all the buses on the road were ultra modern as opposed to the old ones we have in this area but I don't want to buy one :laugh:

I can see where you're coming from, Paul. We have recently had friends visit and while they're not even particularly materialistic people, they did comment quite a bit that they thought the fashion and cars were behind the UK and that they were surprised there were so many older cars on the road ... I don't even notice any of that usually because that's not what motivates us at all. As long as we're solvent and happy, I really don't care whether I'm driving an older car or wearing the latest labels, but then we've always been that way.

Sue x

Guest chris955

:laugh: No this woman worked at Asda but she did look as though she had been sucking a lemon.

If I hadn't known you'd only just gone back recently Chris, I would have laid money on the fact that the miserable lemon you encountered in Asda was.....ME!! :biglaugh:

I HATE grocery shopping :mad:

I'm not materialistic but I noticed how most cars in the UK were not as old as here, I just think it is things some people notice it doesn't mean those people are money motivated. I also noticed that all the buses on the road were ultra modern as opposed to the old ones we have in this area but I don't want to buy one :laugh:

What I mean to say Chris is that even though our friends aren't what I'd call materialistic, they're so used to seeing new/nearly new cars on the road that they were really surprised not to see everyone driving one here.

Both my husband and I drive "older" cars here (his is older than mine for a change!:jiggy:) but we don't care because they're paid for and leave us with money to spend on more important things than HP payments for a newer car that we don't really need...I do feel there was more of a leaning in the UK to wanting to keep up with everyone else. I used to work in debt counselling and saw it all the time, and it's such a horrible situation to find yourself in.

Sue x

Ok Ok Brits are the best.. especially northerners :notworthy:Its just uk im pissed with. So well erm my next question is this how do the austalian fellows regard us POMZ? I travelled through oZ and generally found them quite welcoming however im guessing living there and working may be another bite of the snickers bar. Do they generally like Pomz or not? is it just like how i heard they like winding em up. when i lived in london everyone loved an ozzie or a kiwi thats so unfaitr if they dont like us seen as there roots are most likely british anyway. its not right i love Ozzies.

places i love in uk Glastonbury, Cornwall, Tesco

xx:cute:

Yes it's the same when I see some of the things you post about this country, I wonder if it is a parallel Australia you are talking about. :laugh: None of my friends in the UK could care less what house or car others had and all seemed to have full lives and were always out and about. As with here it really does make a big difference where you are from in the UK as far as what opportunities exist. It's interesting seeing things from someone else's point of view though, even if it doesn't in anyway resemble your own. :wink:

Yup, I'm with you. The parallel Aus thing is a real conundrum. Similarly, the Britain that I visit obviously bears little resemblance to the one that some others visit and cant wait to escape from. I am trying very hard to remember whether I encountered even one vaguely "rude" person on my last trip in Feb/Mar (far more really pleasant and helpful ones spring to mind). Of course, when I head back on Friday I am sure all the Victor Meldrews will be lined up just to snark at me as I get on the tube.

Ok Ok Brits are the best.. especially northerners :notworthy:Its just uk im pissed with. So well erm my next question is this how do the austalian fellows regard us POMZ? I travelled through oZ and generally found them quite welcoming however im guessing living there and working may be another bite of the snickers bar. Do they generally like Pomz or not? is it just like how i heard they like winding em up. when i lived in london everyone loved an ozzie or a kiwi thats so unfaitr if they dont like us seen as there roots are most likely british anyway. its not right i love Ozzies.

places i love in uk Glastonbury, Cornwall, Tesco

xx:cute:

They really couldnt give a toss about your Pommy-ness unless you start on with "back home we ...." or "in UK we ...." in which case they will give you very short shrift. If you have a thick accent they will probably "tease" you about it and if Australia beats UK at any sport whatsoever, you probably wont hear the last of it. But in general, it's more of an issue in a Pom's mind than an Aussie's as they tend to be somewhat egocentric and only worried if you are taking their job.

Guest guest30038
They really couldnt give a toss about your Pommy-ness unless you start on with "back home we ...." or "in UK we ...." in which case they will give you very short shrift. If you have a thick accent they will probably "tease" you about it and if Australia beats UK at any sport whatsoever, you probably wont hear the last of it. But in general, it's more of an issue in a Pom's mind than an Aussie's as they tend to be somewhat egocentric and only worried if you are taking their job.

Thank you Quoll at last for some comprehension that doesn't turn it into a racism or "uncultured" argument..............they're simply different.............accept it or not, but don't think that it has some deep rooted hatred/animosity towards brits........it's "tongue in cheek" and although it sometimes bores the arse off me, there's no harm meant.

The above, is the most sensible asesment of Oz/Aussies that I've heard in along time

kev

.they're simply different.............accept it or not, but don't think that it has some deep rooted hatred/animosity towards brits........it's "tongue in cheek" and although it sometimes bores the arse off me, there's no harm meant.

kev

That's what i keep telling the pakis in England :cute:

I lived in Adelaide and Melbourne for a total of 17 years and raised my children there. They tell everyone what a wonderful childhood they had. We returned to the UK to travel as we had not been anywhere in Europe. We have been back quite a number of years and are now on our way back to Australia in November. We have done quite a lot of travelling in the years we have been back but the stress of the queuing and delays at the airports takes some of the enjoyment out of it. and after a while it becomes an effort. I have to say I can live happily in either Australia or UK. I certainly understand where you are coming from when you speak about the lack of culture and history. Australia has its own culture but it is very different from that of Europe! I also agree about the Australians bleeting on about Australia being the best country in the world, when they have never even travelled out of their own state! On what do they base their comparison. I completely disliked the "ocker" image and tended to mix with those aussies who were less in your face. I also objected to being told to "p..s off home if I disagreed with a government decision." Having said that, I would very much like to visit the places these wonderfully happy, smiling and funny people live in the UK. Yes, the British humour is fantastic and would be very hard to beat. This was virtually the only thing I missed (that and being unable to visit Europe) when I was in Australia, but I'm sorry, people seem to be doing more moaning about the politicians, the state of the country, unemployment, the dreadful weather and the immigration issues (black or white!), than laughing. I live in a wonderful part of the UK with fantastic sea/coastal views from my front window and a view of Snowdonia and surrounding mountain ranges just outside the back door, but this is of no use to me when it is too cold and wet to go out for six months of the year. Everybody is different in their needs. Those who like to go down the local pub for a jar with the lads and have a game of darts, and who love to go to the football and other such activities, they are really going to miss that in Australia. I am English through and through and can't stand dry eyed when I hear Jerusalem played, but I just prefer Australia. The same goes for all of you who like Australia but just prefer to be in the UK. It is such a good job we are not all the same. It isn't a competition. Unfortunately, in the end some people find it difficult to settle anywhere As you say, there is no Utopia. I wish you well in what ever decision you make.

Its not for us, too many issues, especially for the kids 4 & 2. Might come back when they are older. :sad: Dont regret it, should have done it a little differently, its been a kind of nice but stressful break

Guest valleylass
Dont regret it, should have done it a little differently, its been a kind of nice but stressful break

Well said! Us too

Archived