News about the new SOL

Guest Jamie Smith

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fact the new SOL has not been announced. What WAS announced is the list of occupations that will be included in the new SOL. What the current SOL includes is occupations and ASCO code. The new list does that also. But the real SOL also includes scores under the points test, who the asessing authority is and if an occupation is suitable for GSM and the sedveral ENS catagories.

I suspect, and hope in fact, that 1July wil see the total new SOL, a new Points Test and that the States will have their preferred occupations listed.

By the way, I am aware of at least 2 occupations in the new Sol which were not only not in the old SOL, but are also not in ASCO! The new SOL occupations relate to ANZSCO.

So the game will restart on 1st July. I am advising clients that if they are included in that list, and they have good qualifications and work experience, also a reasonable age, that thery start the process now in terms of medicals, police checks and asessments if possible. Why wait?

Guest Jamie Smith

Yes there are 5 occupations new to the "proposed new SOL". Some of them might not have been invented as such in the now very out of date ASCO.

• Primary health organisation manager
  • Special education teachers nec
  • Special needs teacher
  • Teacher of the hearing impaired
  • Teacher of the sight impaired

Yes there are 5 occupations new to the "proposed new SOL". Some of them might not have been invented as such in the now very out of date ASCO.

• Primary health organisation manager

• Special education teachers nec

• Special needs teacher

• Teacher of the hearing impaired

• Teacher of the sight impaired

And thats not counting the others I found. The current ASCO was published in 1997 and the one before that was 1980! Of course occupations have changed and wil contimue to especiallybin the computer and perhaps the medical areas.

BTW Jamie, what were you doing up at 2.20am the other day! Waiting for the new list?

In fact the new SOL has not been announced. What WAS announced is the list of occupations that will be included in the new SOL. What the current SOL includes is occupations and ASCO code. The new list does that also. But the real SOL also includes scores under the points test, who the asessing authority is and if an occupation is suitable for GSM and the sedveral ENS catagories.

I suspect, and hope in fact, that 1July wil see the total new SOL, a new Points Test and that the States will have their preferred occupations listed.

By the way, I am aware of at least 2 occupations in the new Sol which were not only not in the old SOL, but are also not in ASCO! The new SOL occupations relate to ANZSCO.

So the game will restart on 1st July. I am advising clients that if they are included in that list, and they have good qualifications and work experience, also a reasonable age, that thery start the process now in terms of medicals, police checks and asessments if possible. Why wait?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your posts.

So are you also advising, that if you are 176, state sponsored( WA ), electrician.

We should be looking into booking our medicals etc ???

Many thanks

Tina and Scott

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your posts.

So are you also advising, that if you are 176, state sponsored( WA ), electrician.

Many thanks

Tina and Scott

Hi Tina and Scott,

Cant you do the 175? If you have to do a State Sponsorship, what State is your preference to live in?

The problem with the 176 is that we dont know yet which States will sponsor what occupations. Each State makes it own choices. In the past some States have been reluctant to sponsor where the person could have done the 175. So in that area we will have to wait and see. If you can do a 175 maybe thats your best way.

The new points test will not be just a matter of changing the pass mark, i think it will be a major change in assessing people, perhaps more points for excellant English, more points for greater work experience etc.

So if you pass the current points test with room to spare, then perhaps you can feel safe to do the qualifications assesment, medical and police. As I wrote before, if you want to contact me privatelly with your email address I will let you know as soon as further information becomes available.

Cheers

Chris.

Guest VickyMel

Hi Christopher

I'm not on the new list - but purely out of interest I will ask this.

You said you are advising clients who are on the new SOL (and have the qualifiacations to get a VISA) that they should go ahead and "start the process now in terms of medicals, police checks and asessments "

If you are suggesting they get medicals & PCCs done I assume you are expecting them to get high priority in the processing - something like 3-6 months if they are to have 6 monthsish to validate?

Thanks

VickyMel

Hi Christopher

I'm not on the new list - but purely out of interest I will ask this.

You said you are advising clients who are on the new SOL (and have the qualifiacations to get a VISA) that they should go ahead and "start the process now in terms of medicals, police checks and asessments "

If you are suggesting they get medicals & PCCs done I assume you are expecting them to get high priority in the processing - something like 3-6 months if they are to have 6 monthsish to validate?

Thanks

VickyMel

Not at all. The "priority Processing" came about when the Minister wanted to slow the process of low-skilled occupations and the CSL did that. The CSL will go when the new SOL takes effect. The Minister has said nothing about what may happen with priority processing, if anything. ENS gets priority processing over GSM, I espect that will continue. But all this is just aneducated guess based on 28 years experience.

We may also see changes in Schedue I relating to what must be provided at lodgement, again nothing was said so far, but one can wonder. In saying what Ii advise people, when a person is my client, then I know all I need to know about that person and can advise accordingly. In some countries medicals take a while to do, as with police certificates. But my final advise wont be until we know more than we presently do.

Guest sreeram

hai members.......I am confused, where will I get the information .........is my occupation vocational teacher non trades on the new sol......pls help......

hai members.......I am confused, where will I get the information .........is my occupation vocational teacher non trades on the new sol......pls help......

Unfortunatelly itis not on the list. You will need to wait to see if any of the States are willing to sponsor that occupation. I suggest that you research the States now to see if they sponsor that occupation. Although you cant lodge an application now, it might help if you can find a State.

Again like many, you need to wait to see what the States will do.

Hi All

Heres is an email from my agent, might help some of you to understand whats happening with the changes at the moment.

Dear Spencer,

Earlier this week, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) released the new Skilled Occupation List (SOL). You can view the new SOL by clicking here http://www.visabureau.com/australia/sol.aspx.

Please understand that the new SOL does not directly affect you as you have already lodged your visa and you will NOT be required to obtain a new skills assessment, even if your occupation is no longer on the SOL.

We are only sending you this email becausewe wanted to keep you up to date. There have been no further updates or changes to the processing times, so for the moment the timescales are as follows:

Applicants WITH an occupation on the Critical Skills List (CSL).

Within 12 months of your lodgement date.

Applicants WITHOUT an occupation on the Critical Skills List (CSL) .

Within 3 years of your lodgement date.

If you are unsure as to whether your occupation is on the CSL you can check here: http://www.visabureau.com/australia/critical-skills-list.aspx

We expect the Minister to release a new Priority Processing Directive upon the revocation of the CSL list, which is proposed to take place on 1 July, 2010. At this time, it is also expected that the state governments will release their State Migration Plans. Please understand that the State Migration Plans are NOT the same as the current state sponsorship agreements. You can read more about the State Migration Plans here: http://www.visabureau.com/australia/state-migration-plans.aspx

According to the current Priority Processing Directive, applicants who can secure a sponsorship under a State Migration Plan will be eligible for priority processing. Therefore, we will be monitoring this closely and advise you whether you are eligible once they are introduced. However, we will not be able to advise you as to your eligibility until the State Migration Plans are published sometime after 1 July, 2010.

If you are interested in monitoring the developments as they happen, please check our blog: http://www.visabureau.com/blog/category/Australia.aspx

Kind regards,

Guest Pixie10

Hi was hope someone could help-

Im a primary school teacher, I work in a main stream and special needs mixed school and I'm the nursery teacher. I obviously teacher "pre school" children and special needs but I trained in primary. Would I still qualify for the Special Needs teacher or the Pre Primary teacher on the new list??? Or would i need another qualification- if so any ideas what??

Stressed out as Primary Teacher and IT consultant (OH) now taken off the list!!!!

Thanks in advance :frown:

Guest Bootco
Hi All

Heres is an email from my agent, might help some of you to understand whats happening with the changes at the moment.

Dear Spencer,

Earlier this week, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) released the new Skilled Occupation List (SOL). You can view the new SOL by clicking here http://www.visabureau.com/australia/sol.aspx.

Please understand that the new SOL does not directly affect you as you have already lodged your visa and you will NOT be required to obtain a new skills assessment, even if your occupation is no longer on the SOL.

We are only sending you this email becausewe wanted to keep you up to date. There have been no further updates or changes to the processing times, so for the moment the timescales are as follows:

Applicants WITH an occupation on the Critical Skills List (CSL).

Within 12 months of your lodgement date.

Applicants WITHOUT an occupation on the Critical Skills List (CSL) .

Within 3 years of your lodgement date.

If you are unsure as to whether your occupation is on the CSL you can check here: http://www.visabureau.com/australia/critical-skills-list.aspx

We expect the Minister to release a new Priority Processing Directive upon the revocation of the CSL list, which is proposed to take place on 1 July, 2010. At this time, it is also expected that the state governments will release their State Migration Plans. Please understand that the State Migration Plans are NOT the same as the current state sponsorship agreements. You can read more about the State Migration Plans here: http://www.visabureau.com/australia/state-migration-plans.aspx

According to the current Priority Processing Directive, applicants who can secure a sponsorship under a State Migration Plan will be eligible for priority processing. Therefore, we will be monitoring this closely and advise you whether you are eligible once they are introduced. However, we will not be able to advise you as to your eligibility until the State Migration Plans are published sometime after 1 July, 2010.

If you are interested in monitoring the developments as they happen, please check our blog: http://www.visabureau.com/blog/category/Australia.aspx

Kind regards,

The last paragraph worries me. I had hoped that those that had secured SS prior to September2009 would automatically be on a SMP! Not so it seems! I am starting to wish I'd never ----king bothered.

HI waitinggame - thank you for sharing your email.

i'm a little intrigued though about the non csl 3yr from lodegment bit - we lodged oct 08 and i only spoke to diac this week who said we were still looking at 2012/2013 that would be 4 to 5 years!! 3 years for us would be next year. Anyhow we are on sol and hope we are on smp so hope that changes everything.... x

HI waitinggame - thank you for sharing your email.

i'm a little intrigued though about the non csl 3yr from lodegment bit - we lodged oct 08 and i only spoke to diac this week who said we were still looking at 2012/2013 that would be 4 to 5 years!! 3 years for us would be next year. Anyhow we are on sol and hope we are on smp so hope that changes everything.... x

Hi

I was always aware it was 2-3 years for non CSL, so fingers crossed for you, have you done medicals yet? i hope its not 4-5 yrs think i would give up...:mad:

My Fella is on the SOL too so just hope were all on the SMP to hopefully bump us up the queue.

Good Luck x

Lindsey

Guest guest41018

Here's our situation, a completely weird one: We were on the CSL, but not on the new SOL (Pharmacist).

I have posted below the Migration Institute of Australia's response to the DIAC discussion paper regarding the review of the points test for GSM.

http://mia.org.au/about-annual-repor...ubmissions/30/

On page 15 it states:

"It is understood that the CSL will be abolished for new applications with effect from the date the new SOL is implemented. If the new SOL reflects only those occupations which are in demand then, clearly, all GSM applications lodged from that date should be processed in strict chronological order."

I was of the understanding that the 'CSL' will be revoked with from the date it comes into force for new applications only. Does anyone know if this is likely to be the case ?

In other words, is it the case that those applications placed before 1 July on the old systems, lists, points test and job codes will continue to be processed as they were until there are no more of them and those lodged after 1 July are likely to have a separate priority system based on the new system, points test, new SOL and ANZSCO codes ? It would seem sensible to avoid a complete mess, after all, all those applications after 1 July should be fewer in number and hence processed much faster anyway. My wife, lead applicant, is a Pharmacist, we lodged in July 2009 and still haven't got the visa yet (meds & pcc cleared in January 2010).

I would appreciate it if any agents had an idea in this highly unusual situation.

Guest Gollywobbler
Here's our situation, a completely weird one: We were on the CSL, but not on the new SOL (Pharmacist).

I have posted below the Migration Institute of Australia's response to the DIAC discussion paper regarding the review of the points test for GSM.

On page 15 it states:

"It is understood that the CSL will be abolished for new applications with effect from the date the new SOL is implemented. If the new SOL reflects only those occupations which are in demand then, clearly, all GSM applications lodged from that date should be processed in strict chronological order."

I was of the understanding that the 'CSL' will be revoked with from the date it comes into force for new applications only. Does anyone know if this is likely to be the case ?

In other words, is it the case that those applications placed before 1 July on the old systems, lists, points test and job codes will continue to be processed as they were until there are no more of them and those lodged after 1 July are likely to have a separate priority system based on the new system, points test, new SOL and ANZSCO codes ? It would seem sensible to avoid a complete mess, after all, all those applications after 1 July should be fewer in number and hence processed much faster anyway. My wife, lead applicant, is a Pharmacist, we lodged in July 2009 and still haven't got the visa yet (meds & pcc cleared in January 2010).

I would appreciate it if any agents had an idea in this highly unusual situation.

Hi Roundomus

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I was considering your question earlie, not in relation to Pharmacists specifically but in terms of WTF the Minister has in mind for the way in which his new scheme is likely to work.

Bearing in mind that the bloke changes his mind more often than most people change their underwear, please send a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au All that that e-mail addy does is to send you an auto-reply, which arrives in less than an hour.

I got one a few days ago but I hesitate to paste it into this reply because my version of the ASPC e-mail was obtained over the weekend, prior to publication of the new SOL. They update the e-mail every Tuesday or Wednesday so I think you should work from the more ip to date one.

Given the Minister's propensity for annoying the whole world with his constant changes of mind, it is possible that the theory that you have put forward might happen. However I have a different impression from reading the ASPC e-mail so I reckon that you should get a copy of it, study it and then see what you think, please.

Cheers

Gill

On page 15 it states:

According to DIAC, those who have already applied for their visas are not afffected with the new SOL. Besides, if you see the new Priority processing, CSL category has also been included and a provision for the new SMP.

Under the Ministerial Direction, the following processing priorities (with

highest priority listed first) apply:

1. Applications from people who are employer sponsored under the ENS and

the RSMS.

2. Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory

government agency under a State Migration Plan agreed to by the Minister.

3. Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory

government agency and whose nominated occupation is on the Critical Skills

List (CSL).

4. Applications from people who are neither nominated nor sponsored

under Priority Groups 1,2 or 3 but whose nominated occupation is listed on

the CSL.

5. Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory

government agency whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL

6. (i) Applications from people whose occupations are listed on the

Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL); as well as

(ii) Applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose

nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL.

7. All other applications are to be processed in the order in which they

are received.

Guest GemandJay
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your posts.

Many thanks

Tina and Scott

Hi Tina and Scott

Snap looks like we're exactly the same as you except my OH is a Carpenter. We lodged last July then WA SS in Jan 2010, I just hope that we don't have to wait til end of 2012. We were CSL when we applied then Sept 09 happened and we're told 3 years, but now we're on the new SOL surely they can't ignore us and process newbies that just wouldn't be fair. Have you done meds or pc checks or are you waiting for a CO to ask for them, our agent has said 're to do nothing until CO says?????

Anyway fingers crossed we get some good news soon

Gem and Jay

Guest rachbarlow

This is interesting. I wonder what Gill's or any agents view is on this please??!!:biggrin:

I understand SMP is not SS. I know the 2 are meant to be 2 totally different things, which I don't really see the point of! If you have been sponsored in my view you should be on the SMP.

If we have SS, which we do, and our occupation is on the new SMP list (hopefully)....... will we have to go through another form filling, like the SS on-line form, perhaps more $$$$ ching ching fee's ............. more waiting (prob another 6 months!!)............to apply for SMP???

Even though we have SS this sounds like to me that it is not applicable to the SMP, they are trying to separate the 2, and you would have to re-apply under the SMP scheme??? To me the above does not indicate any transfer or changing over of the 176 SS applicants to the 'new' SMP scheme???

Comments appreciated!

This is interesting. I wonder what Gill's or any agents view is on this please??!!:biggrin:

I understand SMP is not SS. I know the 2 are meant to be 2 totally different things, which I don't really see the point of! If you have been sponsored in my view you should be on the SMP.

If we have SS, which we do, and our occupation is on the new SMP list (hopefully)....... will we have to go through another form filling, like the SS on-line form, perhaps more $$$$ ching ching fee's ............. more waiting (prob another 6 months!!)............to apply for SMP???

Even though we have SS this sounds like to me that it is not applicable to the SMP, they are trying to separate the 2, and you would have to re-apply under the SMP scheme??? To me the above does not indicate any transfer or changing over of the 176 SS applicants to the 'new' SMP scheme???

Comments appreciated!

Got no answers, sorry, but these are exactly the points i've been wondering about since i first heard of the SMP. i've had 176 SS with south australia since may 2009 (bloody hell, just realised, thats 12 months) but it dos'nt look to me like the time you have been waiting will be an advantage, which seems very unfair.

There is little doubt that DIAC is in a mess as far as skilled migration goes. We know that the Minister only acts on advisement and in mey veiw he is getting poor advise. Remember folks that thisis election year in Australia and this Government is Union supported, so, who does it listen to do you think?

That said, the changes coming in on 1 July were needed. To have a time when we had SOL, MODL then CSL, only people with Albert Einstein brains could understand it. It was a jigsaw puzzel when the pieces didnt fit. In the UK many years ago there was a comedian who would speak a sentence, but all the words were mixed, yet he spoke in normal speed and tones. So does our Minister!

I advise not to panic, all will be revealed on 1st July when, in my wish list, we wil have the actual SOL (not just the list of occupations we now have) the new points test and the States will have their preferred occupations finalised. I think I will buy a lottery ticket today as that is also on my wish list.

Guest guest41018
Hi Roundomus

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I was considering your question earlie, not in relation to Pharmacists specifically but in terms of WTF the Minister has in mind for the way in which his new scheme is likely to work.

Bearing in mind that the bloke changes his mind more often than most people change their underwear, please send a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au All that that e-mail addy does is to send you an auto-reply, which arrives in less than an hour.

I got one a few days ago but I hesitate to paste it into this reply because my version of the ASPC e-mail was obtained over the weekend, prior to publication of the new SOL. They update the e-mail every Tuesday or Wednesday so I think you should work from the more ip to date one.

Given the Minister's propensity for annoying the whole world with his constant changes of mind, it is possible that the theory that you have put forward might happen. However I have a different impression from reading the ASPC e-mail so I reckon that you should get a copy of it, study it and then see what you think, please.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill/Gollywobbler,

I got a reply from that email address and it keeps talking about the processing directive of 8th February 2010 as "new priority processing arrangements".

It appears at pains to point out that those applications lodged prior to 1 July will not be affected by the implementation of the new SOL - whether this means validity or processing or both, who knows ? Regarding the 8th May 2010 suspension, it states that if you have already submitted your application, once again you will not be affected.

It doesn't appear to say anything about any new processing arrangements after 1 July 2010. It appears that pre-existing arrangements might suffice. It would be difficult to justify placing the new SOL processing above current CSL, but in the same vein, it would be difficult to justify the processing of those applications made before July 2010 that were not on the CSL, but are on the new SOL, by 2012 at the earliest. It's basically a royal mess. The only thing that I can see is that might work is to keep the existing priority processing and make reference to "CSL" "CSL and/or New SOL" instead, either that or they will have to run two concurrent arrangements for before and after 1 July 2010 applications.

Archived