News about the new SOL

Guest Jamie Smith

I am in Shropshire ,england.Sorry if my thread seemed a bit of a rant,i had just finished nights dealing with the "usual",so was really too tired and grumpy to have posted.I know victoria police will have a recruitment drive in very near future but don't know how they will do it,hopefully ENSOL ??.Fingers crossed.I would rather my son grows up in Australia than England.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am in Shropshire ,england.Sorry if my thread seemed a bit of a rant,i had just finished nights dealing with the "usual",so was really too tired and grumpy to have posted.I know victoria police will have a recruitment drive in very near future but don't know how they will do it,hopefully ENSOL ??.Fingers crossed.I would rather my son grows up in Australia than England.

Yeah my feelings exactly... we are reluctant to start a family here... want our kids to grow up in a safer environment with a more outdoorsy life!

I'll be keeping a watchful eye on Victoria too then... if you hear anything, let us know!

Thanks

What must be remembered is that the old SOL (in fact it still is the current SOL) is a list of ALL skilled occupations, every one. The new SOL is a list of occupations that the Minister believes are ones that Australia needs. There are occupations on the new SOL that were not on the old SOL as they are occupations that have evolved from other occupations.

But also remember that the States and Territories will also have occupations that they particularilly want in their respective States/Territories and will be willing to sponsor such an occupation, providing of course an applicant meets all other immigration criteria. And lastly, employers can sponsor occupations that are not on the new SOL.

So, keep watching this space, we have interesting times ahead.

[quote name=Christopher McGrath;776344 But also remember that the States and Territories will also have occupations that they particularilly want in their respective States/Territories and will be willing to sponsor such an occupation' date=' providing of course an applicant meets all other immigration criteria. And lastly, employers can sponsor occupations that are not on the new SOL.

So, keep watching this space, we have interesting times ahead.

This is the point that is getting to most of us, I am a 29 year old plumber, in the prime of my life, possibly wanting to start a family and now in limbo because Oz ministers can't decide what they want, I can't put my life on hold, the same as hundreds of other people out there. WE NEED TO KNOW NOW, where our life's are going.

You are so right Stevenson!! Why on earth did, and still is, the Minister keep releasing little bits of badly drafted sound bites making sure that no one knows what on earth is going to happen. The release of the occupations that will be on the SOL from 1 July was a good start at least, and your occupation is on it, so I feel sure you will be ok. But of course the uncertainly is dreadful for all. As a migration lawyer I am in a position that I haven been in during my 28 years in this profession, which is that I cant give competent advice!! But hopefully all will be revealed before too long.

If you haven’t already, maybe you should start the preparation process so that you can apply as soon as you are able.

Cheers

You are so right Stevenson!! Why on earth did, and still is, the Minister keep releasing little bits of badly drafted sound bites making sure that no one knows what on earth is going to happen. The release of the occupations that will be on the SOL from 1 July was a good start at least, and your occupation is on it, so I feel sure you will be ok. But of course the uncertainly is dreadful for all. As a migration lawyer I am in a position that I haven been in during my 28 years in this profession, which is that I cant give competent advice!! But hopefully all will be revealed before too long.

If you haven’t already, maybe you should start the preparation process so that you can apply as soon as you are able.

Cheers

its not ok for people like me who as a hairdresser are not on the new sol, WHO ARE NEEDED (a lot of us have either got jobs to go to or have spoken to a lot of employers who want to employ but are unable to sponser), and who is ss from a state that have leaked that its not going to be on there new smp......... we have our visa in and ss from wa WHERE DOES THIS LEAVE US CAUSE I CANT STAND THIS ANY MORE:arghh:

JOOLS X

its not ok for people like me who as a hairdresser are not on the new sol, WHO ARE NEEDED (a lot of us have either got jobs to go to or have spoken to a lot of employers who want to employ but are unable to sponser), and who is ss from a state that have leaked that its not going to be on there new smp......... we have our visa in and ss from wa WHERE DOES THIS LEAVE US CAUSE I CANT STAND THIS ANY MORE:arghh:

JOOLS X

And who can blame you, it really is disgraceful, but dont give up, wait and see, all is maybe not lost. When did you apply, and which State sponsored you?

Cheers

Thanks Christopher, I feel if it was not for the migration agents and lawyers that give advice on PIO, all of us visa applicants would be somewhat in the dark, with all of the Minister and DIAC's plan... You are all very nice people:notworthy:

Cheers

Hi Christopher

So what is your opinion on the Hairdressers and Cooks offshore that lodged with State Sponsorship prior to Feb 8th 2010. My wife is a hairdresser with WA SS and it would seem according to trustworthy sources that Hairdressing will not be on WA SMP.

Do you think due to having SS her application will be okay ?

There has been no mention of what will happen to people that have been state sponsored whose job is no longer on the SOL. WA granted SS for a reason and that reason is that the Job is in demand in that state. We received SS on March 10 which is hardly ages ago.

All the talk is about cap and cease, smp sol etc but no reference from anybody to those with SS

thanks

Shane

Your

Guest rachbarlow

I think this is going to be a major problem that no-one who is meant to be in the know has clearly addressed. But then again why am I surprised! Every decision made to date has been made with haste. Decisions such as introducing the SMP, and SOL, were announced months ago but it took months to get the lists together. If they were on top of the game, they would know who is needed, and who isn't, and be able to implement this sooner. I would not be surprised if the SMP is delayed, some last minute retraction from the DIAC!

Our visa application was sept 2009, wa SS feb 2010 (cause it took so long!!). When I look into Cabinetmaker it is a state wide shortage for WA, but not on the main SOL, but hopefully will be on the SMP. I know that there is work for us there. When we went my OH was offered 3 out of 3 jobs sub-contracting. It is just so frustrating not knowing where you stand. I would have thought that the DIAC would have learned off past mistakes, such as sept 2009, and shaped up on their organisation skills. I think that if the DIAC were in our shoes and were to put in a visa application, they would get rejected!

The following link takes you to a petition website where an Established International Student Organization in Australia, based in Melbourne have put the effort to write a petition to the Immigration Minister, Sen Evans and it asks for the Government to give better Transitionary arrangements for the many Intl' students already studying here and are about to graduate and are affected by the Sudden changes in the Skilled Occupation List, active from July 2010 onwards.

Better transitionary measures for General Skilled Migration visas Petition

Archived