News about the new SOL

Guest Jamie Smith

Gill,

We have crossed swords on this issue before, but you seem to have a view that commercial enterprises should provide advice for free.

Why should migration advisors/lawyers/etc spend time advising clients without being appropriately remunerated please?

Best regards.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler
A completely over the top response from Gill, if I might say ...

Onwards!

Alan

What is "over the top" about MIA members suddenly being as secretive as if they have gotten hold of a new toy for themselves alone to play with? When visa applicants are worried stiff but people like you have kept your own cash-flows going off the back of the people who are now worried stiff, I suggest that you make it your own business to show all these visa applicants something better than flippancy.

Your reply merely tempts me to start forwarding the e-mails in question without bothering to wait for George Lombard to reply to me himself.

Don't try my patience, Alan, or the e-mails WILL start doing the unwelcome-to-the-MIA rounds. That is not a threat, but a promise.

I suggest that the chap at the WA SMC and the members of the MIA would all do better to start telling the truth, and to admit that however the document got into the public domain, it is definitely in the public domain to my certain knowledge because at least one MIA member has confirmed to me in an e-mail that s/he has a copy of it and it is a fair bet that another MIA member sent it to him/her, is it not?

Gill

Candidly, Gill - I am not particularly interested in this nonsense.

Until a finalised SMP is in the public arena through an appropriate distribution medium I would not be placing any reliance on its contents, and I suggest you should do likewise.

Regards.

Guest Gollywobbler
Candidly, Gill - I am not particularly interested in this nonsense.

Until a finalised SMP is in the public arena through an appropriate distribution medium I would not be placing any reliance on its contents, and I suggest you should do likewise.

Regards.

Candidly, Alan, is was not me who started the nonsense - the totally dishonest nonsense - of trying to allege that I have not been speaking the whole truth on Poms in Oz.

The visa-wanting public deserve to be told the TRUTH. The truth is that "denying" every word of the post that I made on Saturday is a cover-up. I was told what I was told by a reliable person who is a member of the Migration Institute of Australia. According to George, such a person might not have the visa applicants best interests at heart. Which is factual rubbish - the person concerned has the applicants' interests at heart to a far greater extent than a heck of a lot of other people who claim to be "experts" in this particular field.

I am becoming more angry by the minute that MIA members would act so disreputably as to encourage anyone else to lie to members of the visa-seeking public.

The Manager of the WA SMC and all his colleagues and his opponents had better learn that once a document is in the public domain, that is where it is. Damage limitation will NOT be achieved by trying to take cheap little potshots at me, at this forum or at other members of your own migration advice industry.

Since the thing is in the public domain, and it is in the clutches of a member of the MIA to my certain knowledge, I suggest that it is time for everyone to start telling the truth for a change.

Gill

Hi Guys,

Sorry if I'm repeating anything people may have already asked, I've been crying into my cornflakes ever since the new SOL was released.

For those of us that have begun the process but not yet lodged the Visa (particularly with WA) what is the latest news? I see that there may be some negotiation with WA going on?

Basically my OH and I were on a 175 but are still awaiting the TRA to come back so our actual Visa application didn't go in. My OH is a chef and that's the skill we were on the 175 with. However since the new SOL was released we are now in limbo.... any advice would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is this ACS "review process" I have read about? Could anybody summarise this for the simpleton writing this :wink:

Thanks guys

Ben

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi ben

What is your occupation, please? Is it something to do with IT? If it is, please go back a couple of pages to where somebody has quoted Lauren Mennie of the Visa Bureau. Apparently she has been in touch with the ACS in the last few days.

Cheers

Gill

Hi ben

What is your occupation, please? Is it something to do with IT? If it is, please go back a couple of pages to where somebody has quoted Lauren Mennie of the Visa Bureau. Apparently she has been in touch with the ACS in the last few days.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

sadly no I'm not in IT I'm a policeman- and about as computer literate as a nat!

I'm guessing by your post that the review process relates to those in IT?

Bummer

thanks again

Ben

Hi Gill

Did your source say anything about hairdressers offshore that have lodged and have WA SS as being on smp would be Priority 2. Im so cheesed off that we got sponsored in March only to be let down by the very state that sponsored us if in fact the trade is ommitted off SMP. Surely those people sponsored and lodged should get priority processing regardless of being on smp or not.

When is the oz government going to stand by those people that lodged in good faith and stop making all rules retrospective ?

Thanks Gill

Shane

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

sadly no I'm not in IT I'm a policeman- and about as computer literate as a nat!

I'm guessing by your post that the review process relates to those in IT?

Bummer

thanks again

Ben

Hi Ben

The good news. At least two people share the brains of one gnat when it comes to knowing anything about IT - thee & me! There are probably millions of other people who are equally ignorant about IT. (Though very few of them are as thick as I am when it comes to computers, I assure you.)

Yes, the "review process" that has been mentioned on here was mentioned by the ACS. The ACS is the Australian Computer Society. Their arrangements do not affect you.

However, let us deal with your own question:

Basically my OH and I were on a 175 but are still awaiting the TRA to come back so our actual Visa application didn't go in. My OH is a chef and that's the skill we were on the 175 with. However since the new SOL was released we are now in limbo.... any advice would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Do you want to settle in any particular State or had you decided to retain the location-flexibility offered by the sc 175 visa?

The Minister for Immi's main aim, as far as I can gather, is to prevent people who have studied in Australia from gaining Permanent Residency in Australia. He mainly has his gunsights trained on those who did Hairdressing and Cookery courses in Oz. The Minister's mate, a bloke called Professor Bob Birrell, asked why there is a perpetual shortage of Cooks & Hairdressers in Oz when vast numbers of International Students have supposedly been trained to do these two jobs and they have been trained in Australia. So why aren't they doing these jobs?

That seems to be the crux of the issue.

Without your occupation being on the new SOL, you will not be able to apply for an sc 175 visa. However you may well be able to apply for a State sponsored sc 176 visa in due course, so please don't stress too much for the time being.

Please read up about the sc 176 visa instead:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Shane

The only thing that I was told is that Hairdressers have not been included in the first draft of WA's SMP - so my source told me in an e-mail last weekend - but apparently Cooks have been included in the first draft, so I was told.

Nigel in Oz obtained and published a copy of the ASPC's current information e-mail on Page 11 of this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/86263-news-about-new-sol-11.html

Please get your own copy of the e-mail by sending a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au The information e-mail will be sent to you via an auto-reply and you should get it within an hour of sending off for it.

According to the e-mail a Cook, for example, who is sponsored by WA would currently be in Priority Processing Category 5. You are also in Cat 5 at the moment. If Cook makes it into the WA State Migration Plan once the SMP has been finalised, AND the Cook is sponsored by WA then this Cook will move into Category 2 and the Cook's visa application will then be finalised within 12 months instead of about 3 or 4 years. That is what the e-mail says.

I agree with you that it is totally unfair that people who have already lodged visa applications and have already obtained State sponsorship should not rank above the people who might make a later visa application in accordance with an SMP. However the e-mail does suggest that this is how it will be.

The whole thing is a disorganised disgrace, which ought to embarrass every right thinking Australian Citizen, imho.

Cheers

Gill

I agree with you, and I hope you find PR at the end of your journey. I'm an international student paying over $75,000 to the University for my degree. Hopefully at the end (another 2.5 years to go) my degree will still be on the SOL, however, that is the risk we chose to take whilst in the UK.

I am in the same boat as you. I do hope that after I complete my course and with my other degrees at hand, I am able to work and live in Australia and also get my PR. Fingers crossed.

How's the job hunting going on?

Cheers,

jp

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Rachel

Welders and the other emgineering trades were not mentioned to me, nor were any of the construction trades, so without seeing the draft, I can't help.

Are you using a migration agent? If yes, is the agent a member of the MIA? (Migration Institute of Australia.) The draft of the WA SMP is clearly doing the rounds within that organisation.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gill once again you are speaking up for us hopeful future visa applicants who wait sick with worry about whether we will make the finishing line and even be able to get an application in. So much rides on making such big decisions. I guess I just dont believe that if a migration agent is contacted by a worried would be applicant that some wont be tempted to say hold on in there wait and see I have seen the new draft for wa etc etc. This information is not something people should expect to to pay for as it will be published in due course- when giving information I am sure the said agents will say -'but it hasn't yet been agreed!' The fact is the draft is the public domain and as one of the many mere visa applicants who are all hard working men and women I would like to say I think we know what DRAFT means.

anyway Gill - do you happen to know if Drug and Alcohol counsellor is on it?

Hi Rachel

Welders and the other emgineering trades were not mentioned to me, nor were any of the construction trades, so without seeing the draft, I can't help.

Are you using a migration agent? If yes, is the agent a member of the MIA? (Migration Institute of Australia.) The draft of the WA SMP is clearly doing the rounds within that organisation.

Cheers

Gill

Alas no...we are not using an agent... but thanks anyway... if you happen to hear anything....I'd been keen to know :biggrin:

I have a question on the old sol list floor finisher had 60 points do we lose these points now being as we're not on the list or can we gain them if we get SS? Very confusing!

If you have already submitted your visa application, the new SOL will not be applicable to you and you will receive the 60 points for floor finisher. If you have not submitted your application, you will have to wait for the SMP and the new rules by DIAC.

Hi Shane

The only thing that I was told is that Hairdressers have not been included in the first draft of WA's SMP - so my source told me in an e-mail last weekend - but apparently Cooks have been included in the first draft, so I was told.

Nigel in Oz obtained and published a copy of the ASPC's current information e-mail on Page 11 of this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/86263-news-about-new-sol-11.html

Please get your own copy of the e-mail by sending a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au The information e-mail will be sent to you via an auto-reply and you should get it within an hour of sending off for it.

According to the e-mail a Cook, for example, who is sponsored by WA would currently be in Priority Processing Category 5. You are also in Cat 5 at the moment. If Cook makes it into the WA State Migration Plan once the SMP has been finalised, AND the Cook is sponsored by WA then this Cook will move into Category 2 and the Cook's visa application will then be finalised within 12 months instead of about 3 or 4 years. That is what the e-mail says.

I agree with you that it is totally unfair that people who have already lodged visa applications and have already obtained State sponsorship should not rank above the people who might make a later visa application in accordance with an SMP. However the e-mail does suggest that this is how it will be.

The whole thing is a disorganised disgrace, which ought to embarrass every right thinking Australian Citizen, imho.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

this was the question i asked my agent, would the new sol ,smp sponsored applicant leapfrog the already visa lodged 176 ss recieved applicant she said she didnt have the answer............. what is the answer????......or what is the answer likely to be???? .....GILL............ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks Gill once again you are speaking up for us hopeful future visa applicants who wait sick with worry about whether we will make the finishing line and even be able to get an application in. So much rides on making such big decisions. I guess I just dont believe that if a migration agent is contacted by a worried would be applicant that some wont be tempted to say hold on in there wait and see I have seen the new draft for wa etc etc. This information is not something people should expect to to pay for as it will be published in due course- when giving information I am sure the said agents will say -'but it hasn't yet been agreed!' The fact is the draft is the public domain and as one of the many mere visa applicants who are all hard working men and women I would like to say I think we know what DRAFT means.

anyway Gill - do you happen to know if Drug and Alcohol counsellor is on it?

Hi Rocki

The only occupations that I was specifically told anything about was Cooks, Welfare Workers and Hairdressers. So I'm sorry but I don't have any information about Drug & Alcohol Counsellors.

Apart from the above, I was told that the draft list contains about 250 occupations and that about 100 of them are not on WA's current sponsorship list.

There was no reason to say any more over the weekend because the guy who told me about it said that he was expecting to get a copy of the draft SMP itself today, Monday. Therefore it made sense to me not to ask about any other occupations specifically because the draft would reveal all the details.

The only exception that I made was to ask about Youth Workers on Kellyjamie's behalf. Several other factors that affect them are affected by knowing what is in that draft.

Today I was told that my source reckons that there will be a "Regional SMP List" as well as one that covers occupations which are in State-wide demand.

Dunno - that might be so. The whole thing is so cock-a-mamie that it is perfectly possible that the States have decided that there is no sense in just one list that covers the whole State including the State capital.

Absolutely for certain, some MIA members will use their possession of the draft SMP for WA as a "come hither" tool for enticing prospective clients through the door. That sort of conduct belongs in a souk, not in a so-called "professional" environment, but I am sure that the draft will be used in exactly the way that you and I both fear. The MIA itself lacks the professionalism to ensure that its members would not stoop to such lowly, disreputable conduct.

I think it is highly unlikely that anybody at DIAC leaked the draft document. I think that the leak is far more likely to have happened at WA's end.

I will give it 24 hours. If in that time, no apologies have been forthcoming,and no satisfactory answers have been forthcoming either, then I will ask the Manager of the WA SMC what the hell he thinks he is playing at by trying to claim that I have been inventing that which I was told.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Many thanks for your reply.

This is getting frustrating and to be honest I am starting to think is it worth it ? What started off as a dream is fast becoming a drag. You have a minister for moving goalposts in charge and basically pis&%*g people off. Does he care does he fu*% !!

I wonder if when people start asking for money back because of the Australian Government losing all credibility and sense of fairness will they give back $2525 or the $ equivalent of £1350 which is what i paid. ?

I wont hold my breath

Cheers

Shane

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

this was the question i asked my agent, would the new sol ,smp sponsored applicant leapfrog the already visa lodged 176 ss recieved applicant she said she didnt have the answer............. what is the answer????......or what is the answer likely to be???? .....GILL............ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jackster

At the moment, the best that I can offer to you and others like you is that you should get the information e-mail from the ASPC and analyse it for yourselves.

Please send a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au You need not bother about a subject heading or any body text because no human will read what you send. The e-mail addy above is set up so that it only does one thing, which is to send out the auto-reply. You get the reply in less than an hour and it is much easier to make sense of it via your e-mails than via Poms in Oz.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

Many thanks for your reply.

This is getting frustrating and to be honest I am starting to think is it worth it ? What started off as a dream is fast becoming a drag. You have a minister for moving goalposts in charge and basically pis&%*g people off. Does he care does he fu*% !!

I wonder if when people start asking for money back because of the Australian Government losing all credibility and sense of fairness will they give back $2525 or the $ equivalent of £1350 which is what i paid. ?

I wont hold my breath

Cheers

Shane

Hi Shane

If the Minister decides to chop you off at the knees, he might decide to offer to return the money that you will have wasted on DIAC's fees.

His website - the DIAC website - ought to say, very prominently, "Applying for a visa for Australia is a total lottery. Do not attempt it unless you are prepared to risk wasting a helluva lot of your money and a helluva lot of your time."

The website keeps its trap shut - presumably so that the monster of a Minister can pick & choose out of far more applicants than he expects to grant visas to.

It is a drsgraceful way to run an Immigration Programme.

Senator Evans will be spending all day on Wednesday 26th May 2010 getting a grilling from the Senate Estimates Committee. Please see the link below:

Parliament of Australia: Senate Estimates

A lot of the other Senators on the Committee are not ALP members, and the previous Hansards show that the Opposition Senators can be trusted to give Senator Evans a hard time, knowing that every word uttered will be recorded in Hansard for posterity.

The proceedings are televised live, over the internet, and they start sharp at 9am Canberra time. For people who do not want to stay up all night, the proof Hansards are usually published during the week after the meeting.

Cheers

Gill

Guest rachbarlow

Well Gill ......................all I can say is that people like myself who paid in good faith for an agent and got totally ripped off in the process should have access to the same information. Afterall I have done to date a better job than our previous agent, and probably better than most that are registered!! MIA MARA what the hell...... it is my life, my application and the information should not be a secret or used as 'we have something you don't have'!

I think I have spent enough time and money peeing about in this process and I think that when it comes to major changes and information which affects my families life and mine, I have the right to know that information and should not have to pay one penny for it. They have ALL had enough out of me! What happened to the freedom of information when it is in the pubic domain? Agent or not! In the beginning I paid in good faith, and in return got sweet FA! I am sure that if a MIA agents were in my shoes, and those of many other applicants, they would be reacting in the same way! I think we have all been messed about for too long.

This all gives me very little comfort as I feel as if I am begging to get out of here and be let into the pearly gates of Australia, and the 'ones with the knowledge' are dangeling that carrot, yet again, and toying whether to play the game or not.........nahhhh....lets change the rules..........................hehe..

P.S. I am not being funny about anyone.......before anyone starts.............but having my well deserved say!!!

Archived