All flights in the UK grounded until further notice

kernow43

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest proud2beaussie

London airports shut down by volcanic ash cloud

(15 April 2010)

A cloud of volcanic cloud from an eruption in Iceland has led to all air space north of London being closed down.

British Airways has confirmed no flights will depart from from Heathrow, Gatwick or London City airports after 11.30 today while all its domestic flights have also been cancelled.

Already, more than 150 flights have been cancelled at Heathrow and 138 at Gatwick, including the majority of easyJet and Monarch departures.

All airports in Scotland have already been closed and problems are moving south as prevalent winds blow the cloud towards London.

The radical steps have been taken because aircraft engines are particularly sensitive to volcanic ash.

More details and advice to follow throughout today.

BA statement

This statement appears on the BA website.

ALL airlines will be impacted and we will therefore not be able to operate services after 11.30am from London Heathrow, London Gatwick and London City. Additionally, all British Airways domestic services have been cancelled on Thursday 15 April.

Stay updated

Guest bindog1uk

Still clear and sunny here in Devon at the moment, but there is some concern nationally that if when it passes over the U.K. if it drops lower, at the moment it's very high. Even said on the telly this morning that if it does drop not to even take the dogs out for a walk and to stay inside with windows closed. I suppose that it will have to drop at some point, but where:confused: Cheers Lesley:wink:

Guest Off to the Sun

A person from the Shetland Islands was on BBC saying that they can smell the ash in the air now. We have beautiful blue skys here in south east Ireland, our airspace is closing today from 12, I have people coming for a meeting from London in the morning......ah well nice quiet Friday for me :biggrin:

You are supposed to get fantastic sunsets from these dust clouds so I think I'll have the camera out tonight. I love these weather events, I'm a bit of a nerd!!

Here are some nerdy websites tracking this if anyone is interested!

RadarVirtuel.com

Met Office: Europe: Visible satellite imagery

SAT24.com, Satellite Weather Europe. Watch the Clouds and Sun over Europe

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271309704.png

Off to the Sun, thanks so much for those links. Had recently found the radarvirtuel one but my DH was asking if there were other radar or satellite images (like our BOM site) which gave the current situation.

Not a good time for British aviation that's for sure!

Guest Magnetic6

I love these type of things as well though feel sorry for all those who are stranded at airports.

Clear blue skies in Manchester,are we going to get to see it??

Guest Off to the Sun

http://bcpk.org/2010-04-15%2009.45.01.jpg

Heres one of Dublin airport at the moment, I'd imagine its great fun being there! Zoom in and look at the board :shocked:

Also here is one of the plume which I thought was very pretty

http://img.visir.is/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=XZ&Date=20100414&Category=FRETTIR01&ArtNo=619874521

If the weather nerds post any more I'll put them up.

Guest Off to the Sun
I love these type of things as well though feel sorry for all those who are stranded at airports.

According to this one: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271309704.png you should see it between midday and 6pm but it most likely won't be the ashy cloud.

From a weather watcher:

From looking at it i reckon each colour is a boundary to which Flight Level the Ash Extends to. For anyone unfamiliar to them, e.g. FL250 = 25000FT and so on.

The Blue is for more dense ash cloud, I think the red is for less dense traces of ash.

Bel

I hope they stay clear and blue - we're supposed to be flying into Manchester from Melbourne on Sunday evening!

We may have to stay here with my oh for a bit longer.... Oh dear....

Just heard that a couple who were flying from Glasgow today, they have been told they will not be flying until Monday at least. With all the cancellations I reckon the next week is going to be a nightmare for anyone flying in or out of UK.

Guest proud2beaussie

My advice to anyone with bookings for flights within the next few days is to contact the airline for updates,and also check the relevant airport website.

Cheers

This is an up to date news link from MSN

Volcano could mean cooling, acid rain - Climate Change- msnbc.com

We were living in St.Kitts in the Caribbean when the Soufrière Hills volcano on Monserrat had a minor eruption in 2003. It errupted at 2am and when I got up and opened the curtains I thought it was Armageddon LOL Everything was covered in grey ash and there was not a sound anywhere...all the birds and other wildlife was silent.

Man I give a word of warning just in case the ash from Iceland does descend on UK? Do NOT wash the ash off your car ( brush it off first) as the sulphur in the ash causes acidity when mixed with water and may cause damage to car paintwork. Also if you get ash on your skin it can cause a lot of irritation.

Regards

Monica xx

We're stuck in Brunei because of it and hopefully flying home tomorrow...

Our next update is at 7am tomorrow morning.

But I guess we're lucky cos we're being put up at a great hotel and couldn't ask anything more from the airline Royal Brunei...

This is our 2nd night here...

I'll update more if I get the chance

Howard

Having spent some time at work the last 2 days (at a major UK airport) it is a very weird experience seeing things so queit in what is usually a noisy/busy enviroment. Even the airport itself is not 'bursting at the seams' with aircraft. Lots stuck overseas.

Feel sory for everyone waiting for flights. Wife is stuck overseas visiting relatives, may stay an extra week or so I guess while I beaver away at work !!! Allright for some!

We could get to Dubai today, but Emirates said we could be stuck there for up to ten days (!), so we've decided to stay in Melbourne and have a confirmed flight for 1st May - waitlisted for 26th April. Eldest daughter not happy as she has so much gcse coursework which can only be done at school and she doesn't like the idea of the catching up!!

OH is happy though. He gets to keep us here for another week or so!

Good luck everyone!

We're stuck in Brunei because of it and hopefully flying home tomorrow...

Our next update is at 7am tomorrow morning.

But I guess we're lucky cos we're being put up at a great hotel and couldn't ask anything more from the airline Royal Brunei...

This is our 2nd night here...

I'll update more if I get the chance

Howard

Send my love to Brunei please. Lived there for 9 years and still miss the good parts. Are you lucky enough to be in the Empire Hotel? Not a lot to do there as a tourist, but go to the water village if possible, it's interesting.

Archived