All flights in the UK grounded until further notice

kernow43

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We are due to fly out to Perth on Tuesday. Don't rate our chances though. :(

Same here- we're due to fly to Melbourne on Wednesday- somehow I don't think it's too likely. We shipped our furniture on Tuesday, sold the cars and finished jobs -oops!

Guest sarebear

Same sitution as me :yes: me & kids were due to fly from Brisbane to Gatwick tomorrow night, but Singapore airlines phoned me at 5pm yesterday to say my flights have been re-booked to depart Brisbane 2nd May! Again, hubby quite happy to keep us an extra 2 weeks!

We could get to Dubai today, but Emirates said we could be stuck there for up to ten days (!), so we've decided to stay in Melbourne and have a confirmed flight for 1st May - waitlisted for 26th April. Eldest daughter not happy as she has so much gcse coursework which can only be done at school and she doesn't like the idea of the catching up!!

OH is happy though. He gets to keep us here for another week or so!

Good luck everyone!

Same sitution as me :yes: me & kids were due to fly from Brisbane to Gatwick tomorrow night, but Singapore airlines phoned me at 5pm yesterday to say my flights have been re-booked to depart Brisbane 2nd May! Again, hubby quite happy to keep us an extra 2 weeks!

Enjoy your extended holiday! We are and we've worked out that by the time we go back to the uk it'll only be 8 weeks before we're back here again.....volcanos permitting!!

Guest sarebear

:wub: wow! Hardly woth you unpacking the suitcases!! Enjoy & fingers crossed we get there sometime within the month!

Enjoy your extended holiday! We are and we've worked out that by the time we go back to the uk it'll only be 8 weeks before we're back here again.....volcanos permitting!!

Guest proud2beaussie

It appears that things may actually be getting worse in some areas before they get better.

New Iceland ash cloud heads for Britain | News.com.au

THE eruption of a volcano in Iceland strengthened today, sending a new ash cloud towards Britain, the country's air authorities said. "The volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading south and east towards the UK," said the National Air Traffic Services (NATS), which manages British airspace.

"Latest information from the Met Office (weather forecasting service) shows that the situation is worsening in some areas," said NATS.

It added that Scottish airports should still be available from 7am today (4pm AEST), as had been announced earlier in the day, but the situation for Northern Irish airports was uncertain.

More airspace over England may become available from 1pm today (10pm AEST) although not as far south as the main London airports, said NATS.

Guest guest30038
It appears that things may actually be getting worse in some areas before they get better.

New Iceland ash cloud heads for Britain | News.com.au

Bugger! I hope not! That means i'll be stuck with the Balmforths for another week! :wink:

They spent all night ringing rellies, only to get an answerphone and at 1pm..........when I'm sending up the Z's, :SLEEP: after they'd gone, the phone rang........you guessed it in one!

kev

Guest proud2beaussie

A friend who is a travel agent in the UK got an email that says.

Put 30 billion euros in the rubbish bin outside the Icelandic Embassy and we will turn off the Vulcano...DO NOT RING THE POLICE !!

:cute::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest kirstig123
Same here- we're due to fly to Melbourne on Wednesday- somehow I don't think it's too likely. We shipped our furniture on Tuesday, sold the cars and finished jobs -oops!

Good luck Sue!! We are in Melbourne on our Recce and meant to be going back on Monday 26th...so just missing you! You are going to LOVE it!! I dont want to go home and am hoping this carries on for a long long time yet. Might have to orgainse the packers and get all our stuff shipped. Kx

Good luck Sue!! We are in Melbourne on our Recce and meant to be going back on Monday 26th...so just missing you! You are going to LOVE it!! I dont want to go home and am hoping this carries on for a long long time yet. Might have to orgainse the packers and get all our stuff shipped. Kx

hi Kirsti

I'm glad you are having a fantastic time. Fingers crossed you will be able to stay longer if that is what you want.

Our flight has been cancelled and we have been booked ( after a 2 1/2 hours on hold) onto a flight on Sunday. Our furniture went last week, money has been transferred to oz and everything ( utilities, insurance etc) arranged to finish today. We spent yesterday extending things to last till we do get to fly. Fingers crossed we will be be to meet up in Melbourne soon.

Sue

Guest JayCook77

I just read an article today about the test flights they did over the weekend. Apparently none of the planes had Ash in the engines, Phneumatics, or even on their windows !!!!!!

And since Scotland is nearer to Iceland I think and yet THEIR planes are starting to make flights again it begs the question.... WHY is the entire UK airspace subject to a NO FLY restriction ?????? Will we ever find out ?????

I hope its only temporary otherwise I will be stuck doing my crappy washing up job for a much longer time than I had hoped since I don't want to quit until I have my flight booked as job down where I am are NON EXISTENT.....

GOOD NEWS SOON PLEASE !!!!!!!

Guest proud2beaussie

UK airspace restrictions were lifted at 10.00PM GMT Tuesday,however it will take days to sort the mess out as carriers have aircraft out of position and will need to redraft crew rosters etc so I wouldn't be expecting a normal service for a few days yet but at least it's a start.

Guest guest36187

Our best friends son was on a school trip (of all things!) studying volcanos in Italy! He got home on Monday morning, bout 4 days later via coach! His Dad reckoned they got their monies worth as he saw France, Germany and Switzerland as well! lol

Guest proud2beaussie

Media Release From Qantas.

https://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/policies/MediaRelease210410.pdf

QANTAS TO RESUME SERVICES BETWEEN AUSTRALIA AND EUROPE

SYDNEY, 21 April 2010: Qantas announced today it would resume services between Europe and

Australia and Asia and Europe on Wednesday 21 April (local times).

Scheduled services between Australia and Europe via Asia will recommence tomorrow Thursday 22

April.

Qantas Chief Executive Officer, Mr Alan Joyce, said a range of factors had been taken into

consideration before making the decision to recommence services.

“We have been closely monitoring the evolving situation in Europe and liaising with European

authorities about the opening of airspace across Europe,” he said.

“Qantas welcomes the opening of airspace and we will resume flights out of the UK to Australia today

and from Asia to London and Frankfurt.

“I would like to thank our customers for their patience during this time. We are working on providing

supplementary services to help clear the backlog and we will let our customers know as soon as

possible.

“We estimate it will take approximately two to three weeks to clear the current backlog.”

The following flights will operate on Wednesday 21 April:

From London to Australia

ƒ QF8232 London to Sydney via Singapore scheduled to depart at 1205 local time

ƒ QF8230 London to Melbourne via Hong Kong scheduled to depart at 1220 local time

From Asia to London/Frankfurt

ƒ QF8205 Singapore to Frankfurt scheduled to depart at 2320 local time

ƒ QF8209 Singapore to London scheduled to depart at 2305 local time

ƒ QF8201 Bangkok to London scheduled to depart at 2320 local time

ƒ QF8231 Singapore to London scheduled to depart at 2359 local time

ƒ QF8229 Hong Kong to London scheduled to depart at 0735 local on Thursday 22 April.

On Thursday 22 April Qantas will recommence normal scheduled services from Australia to Europe.

Customers booked on the following flights are confirmed for travel:

Thursday 22 April

ƒ QF9 Melbourne to London scheduled to depart at 1530 local time

ƒ QF5 Sydney to Frankfurt scheduled to depart at 1550 local time

ƒ QF31 Sydney to London scheduled to depart at 1615 local time

ƒ QF1 Sydney to London scheduled to depart at 1700 local time

ƒ QF29 Melbourne to London scheduled to depart at 2300 local time Qantas Airways Limited ABN 16 009 661 901

Further information and media releases can be found at the Qantas website: qantas.com

Customers who were booked on cancelled flights are advised not to proceed to the airport. Qantas

will endeavour to contact them regarding rebooking them on next available services.

Passengers are advised to check qantas.com for the latest information.

Guest proud2beaussie

Cathay Pacific Media Release

Last updated: 21 Apr 2010 23:15 HKT

Cathay Pacific resumes some services to Europe

Cathay Pacific Airways wishes to announce that some flights to Europe have resumed. Only customers holding confirmed bookings should go to the airport. Standby customers will NOT be accepted. Online Check-In is now available for all scheduled flights. Customers are advised to use the Arrivals and Departures tool to check the latest flight status.

Customers with confirmed bookings for flights departing from Hong Kong

Hong Kong International Airport is experiencing large crowds of customers departing to Europe. Please arrive at the airport 3 hours before departure. To ensure orderly and timely check-in, we appeal to customers travelling on Cathay Pacific flights to cooperate with airline staff managing queues.

Customers with connections to and from Europe

Customers with connections on Cathay Pacific or other airline carriers will only be accepted for travel from their point of origin if they are holding confirmed bookings all the way to their final destination.

As airports in Europe are likely to be crowded as a result of the resumption of services, there could be delays. Please allow sufficient time for check-in, security and immigration processes. We will do our best to ensure that check-in for Cathay Pacific customers is as smooth as possible.

Customers with onward connection via London Heathrow Airport will only be checked in to London. There are no connections permitted between carriers until further notice. Customers will have to retrieve their baggage in London and re-check in for their next flight. With this ad hoc special arrangement, customers MUST be in possession of valid travel document and visa to enter the UK.

Customers whose flights have been cancelled

Cathay Pacific will help affected customers make alternative arrangements. To assist in clearing stranded customers, Cathay Pacific will not accept any new bookings until 06 May. Customers should expect to experience delays in being able to travel due to flights being currently full.

For Hong Kong ticketing and rebooking arrangements, customers may call Cathay Pacific's reservation number (+852) 2747 1888 which is available from 07:00 to 23:00 or their local reservations office.

Cathay Pacific will give priority flight rescheduling to students returning to the UK to sit public examinations and to unaccompanied minors, i.e. children under 12. To register, please call (+852) 2747 8888 (available from 07:00 to 23:00).

Customers are still strongly advised to either delay or cancel their travel plans to Europe. Please click here for ticketing guidelines for travel involving London, Amsterdam, Paris, Milan, Rome and Frankfurt.

Contact Details

Customers are strongly urged to provide their contact details on Manage Your Trip, Manage My Booking to ensure they receive the latest flight updates.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to our customers due to the recent airspace closure over Europe and wish to say your cooperation, patience and understanding are very much appreciated.

Guest proud2beaussie

Singapore Airlines Update

With the re-opening of airspace in Europe, Singapore Airlines will be resuming flights to and from European destinations. However, these flights may be unavailable for booking as we are giving priority to our stranded passengers. We thank you for your understanding and apologise for any inconvenience caused

ALL EUROPE FLIGHTS RESUMED

21 April 2010

UPDATE

Last updated at 1830hrs (+8 GMT) on 21 April.

Singapore Airlines has reinstated all flights to and from European destinations.

As of 21 April 2010 1830hrs, all flights will resume normal schedules with the exception of SQ327, Munich-Singapore, on 21 April, originally scheduled to depart 1335hrs (Munich time), now retimed to depart 1600hrs (Munich time).

Affected customers are advised to continue visiting www.singaporeair.com regularly for updates.

We are mindful that with the full reinstatement of flights, customers may be anxious to be on the first flights to their destinations. We would therefore like to strongly encourage customers who can defer their travel to do so.

We would also advise customers that our ticket offices and airport offices are likely to be overcrowded and slower servicing times may be expected. There is also no guarantee that customers will be able to secure a seat on a flight even when they wait at the airport.

In addition, we expect an even higher volume of calls to our contact centres, and while we have put all possible resources to managing the call volumes, we seek our customers’ understanding that waiting times may be longer than usual. Customers with non-critical queries may refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section on our website.

Customers who wish to check on the status of their flights may call our hotline at +65 6542 3311. For customers who are checking on alternative travel arrangements and rebookings, please call +65 6223 8888 or +65 6789 8188. For contact details of our offices around the world, please click here.

Singapore Airlines will waive cancellation and change fees for confirmed tickets to and from Europe. The waiver, which is valid for tickets issued up to and including 15 April 2010, will be for travel up to and including 02 May 2010. The same conditions apply for KrisFlyer redemption tickets.

Guest proud2beaussie

Emirates Update

Flight disruptions due to volcanic dust cloud

DUBAI, U.A.E., 21st April 2010:

FLIGHT STATUS INFORMATION IS UPDATED EVERY 5 MINUTES.

Emirates’ services to Europe have begun to get back to schedule following the opening of the majority of Europe’s airspace. On Wednesday, Emirates operated all but two of its scheduled flights to Europe.

In total 37 Emirates flights departed from Dubai to Europe on Wednesday, including 12 to the UK and seven to Germany. The two cancelled flights were the early morning departures to London Heathrow and London Gatwick.

Emirates has advised that in terms of passengers travelling to Europe via Dubai, the airline is now accepting all those that hold confirmed bookings for travel to the UK and Germany.

Salem Obaidalla, Emirates’ Senior Vice President, Commercial Operations Europe & Russian Federation, said: “We are gradually getting back to what is beginning to resemble a scheduled service to Europe. On Wednesday we reinstated our flights to UK and Germany and we will be operating three extra flights to London over the next 24 hours to assist those passengers who have been waiting to continue their journeys.

“In total today our Europe flights carried some 9,000 passengers and we have 350 currently left in Dubai as a result of the disruption, but they will be on their way as soon as possible. We are very grateful for the patience and understanding our customers have displayed so far."

As a result of the disruption, the airline has been losing approximately $10 million a day and around 100,000 passengers around the network have been affected.

Emirates' customers affected by the disruption can cancel their booking or change their onward destination without charge. All re-issue and cancellation fees will be waived while the disruption is ongoing.

Please check the status of your flight using the flight status tool below before departing for the airport. This information is updated every 5 minutes.

Archived