For what reason/s did you come home?

Guest Freudian Slip

Main reason we are leaving australia...

a. Sick of the high cost of housing relative to income.

Until some bigger regional cities are built closer to the rural areas where normal people can afford to buy there first home we have no where to work (unless you call a 2 1/2 + hour commute to work by car reasonable). Some regional cities are the poorest excuse for a city. There is literally no work for professionals in them.

Plus the insurance on any place we were considering is astronomical as they are all prone to bush-fires.

b. Sick of the 'idiot culture'. All about drinking and clubing. And BS materialistic crap.

I wouldn't care at all if I could find/meet people like-minded people but...umm, we havent met any and hubby is especially not too happy on that front I mean he is literally alone. No friends and no family over here.

c. Sick of the horrible weather. Its certainly not sensible to spend copious amounts of time outdoors on a day where the UV index is at least 12 from 9-5. I hate being indoors all day. Though people like to argue you cant go outside in rainy cold weather. I like to say Bull. Put on a raincoat and enjoy the scenary.

d. The landscape is ugly. There I said it. It looks like someone dowsed it with petrol and went over it with a flamethrower. With the exception Melbourne and the beaches the rest is like a sandy desert. Looks like gardeners are fighting a losing battle to drought trying to tame it to resemble England.

e. Maternity leave/childcare... I can just forget about working after having a baby... As inevitably one of our incomes would need to sacrificed to cover childcare and the other mortgage and existance (food bills etc, so no staying home for daddy though we could alternate if there were enough jobs). Since its not subsidized (except for the poor I think? I'm doubtful on even that one to be honest) and maternity leave is not standard here yet. My partners mother said something about it being different in UK last time I talked to her, so hopefully she wasn't lying just to get us over there permanently to have grandkids =P.

f. Boring. So boring. There is nothing to do. Melbourne is much better on this front then Perth. Perth is awfully boring and the restaurant food is pricey and bad. Lamb is awfully overpriced. In the area I live in in Perth I cant seem to find any affordable lamb... seriously 40 dollars a kilo for lamb fillet/backstrap and I have to order in at least 5 kilograms. wtf? and other places dont even offer it. Also at least in melbourne and the uk you have family picnic spots worth going to. Even if they are a tad crowded.

I dont know whether you've caught on but I'm not even from the UK so you can forget about calling me a 'disgruntled pom' who came over to Australia with rose tinted glasses and visions of the sea and beach. I'm Australian. My partner is english and we cant wait to get back over there. Yes this post seems a bit harsh. Its just the careless tone I'm taking. I'm fed up and no one seems to put any good reasons. So for anyone interested here are mine.

Slightly neurotic, aren't we??

a. Some places are opposite, high wages-low house prices...Just look

b. Up to you to find your comfort level and friends...It only takes a few kind words...and a modicum of effort.

c. You chose where you live; surely you checked on the number of sunny days in Australia???? Don't blame anyone else.

d. Move about and look at different places instead of wallowing in self pity. You might even see beauty. You obviously have had your heads in the sand. Have a squiz at the GBR and the Whitsundays.

e. Can't comment, I was never a mother.:wink:

f. Boring??? Aint you got a brain? It does not take much to gerroff ya bums and try something rather than sit in your own poo and whinge about boring. A teensy weensy bit of intelligence is all that is needed not to be bored.

Hooroo.:smile:

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Count Zero
im not sure how they could get figures about who is leaving permenantly do they ask you if your not coming back at the airport??

Yes they do, you fill a form in before you leave in the airport.

Guest Count Zero
Hi guys

I just wondered for those of you who have moved back, what was the main reason, were you just homesick? Or is it a collection of things that have made you want to come back to the UK or one thing inparticular.

Regards Gill

We have been and come back three times now. Its usually sparked off by lack of work which leads to depression which leads to homesickness which leads to buying plane tickets. Then we get back and winter blues kick in which leads to depression which leads to missing Australia which leads to buying tickets back. Its an endless cycle caused by being an emotional person who only loves and hates and finds the middle ground difficult to play on. I suppose eventually we will either run out of energy or money and stay somewhere. I love and hate both countries equally.

Guest killingxspree

b. Up to you to find your comfort level and friends...It only takes a few kind words...and a modicum of effort.

c. You chose where you live; surely you checked on the number of sunny days in Australia???? Don't blame anyone else.

d. Move about and look at different places instead of wallowing in self pity. You might even see beauty. You obviously have had your heads in the sand. Have a squiz at the GBR and the Whitsundays.

e. Can't comment, I was never a mother.:wink:

f. Boring??? Aint you got a brain? It does not take much to gerroff ya bums and try something rather than sit in your own poo and whinge about boring. A teensy weensy bit of intelligence is all that is needed not to be bored.

Hooroo.:smile:

Cheers, Bobj.

a. No some places aren't the opposite at all. What a sweeping generalization!

You don't even know what field I work in.

c. was in a joking sense. Nevermind!

etc...

Please be so kind as to not make assumptions about me and insult me just because my point of view doesn't correspond with yours. Don't find it offensive and annoying because its different. Ive lived here most my life.

Not only is it offensive for you to treat me so condescendingly. It makes you look silly. To insult me just because I don't like here. We all have differences in taste and opinion especially about Australia.

Just because I decided not to mention all the great stuff about Australia doesn't mean I think there isn't any. Its not all black and white. As you make it out to be.

etc...

Please be so kind as to not make assumptions about me and insult me just because my point of view doesn't correspond with yours. Don't find it offensive and annoying because its different. Ive lived here most my life.

Not only is it offensive for you to treat me so condescendingly. It makes you look silly. To insult me just because I don't like here. We all have differences in taste and opinion especially about Australia.

Just because I decided not to mention all the great stuff about Australia doesn't mean I think there isn't any. Its not all black and white. As you make it out to be.

You made caustic comments about my country, I merely replied in kind.:yes:

Were your comments sweeping generalisations, or not???

I couldn't care what field you work in...be it in farmer Brown's back paddock, or in law

Cheers, Bobj.

You made caustic comments about my country, I merely replied in kind.:yes:

Were your comments sweeping generalisations, or not???

I couldn't care what field you work in...be it in farmer Brown's back paddock, or in law

Cheers, Bobj.

Bob, she was making caustic comments about HER country and surely she is allowed to do that - perhaps more so than a blow in even one who has been here for decades. Just because you dont like what she has to say doesnt make it any less of a valid reason for her. (Sorry making assumptions here that killingxspree is female)

This thread is about why people choose to leave and people leave because of their own experiences - they may not want to spend their lives struggling on a low income and spending their days in a boat fishing - horses for courses, doesnt make one lot right and the other wrong.

Guest siamsusie

e. Can't comment, I was never a mother.

Hooroo.

Cheers, Bobj.

:notworthy: Well said.. our glorious necks of the woods werent mentioned, Tasmania is the garden of Australia, Queensland is paradise etc etc:wubclub:

Yet again another thread ruined....All I asked for was for people to tell me the reasons they had moved back to the UK. I didn't expect the "I hate Australia brigade" and the "Australia is perfect brigade" to use the thread as yet another opportunity to get one up on each other.

It's always the same little cliques playing the same pathetic games over and over again, absolutely pathetic.

And you know what? It's getting bloody boring now too.:yes:

Anyway, thank you to those who have taken the time out to tell me their side of the story,

Regardless of the outcome. I wish you all the best for the future in wherever you have decided to call home. :biggrin:

Kind regards, Gill. x

It was a nice try Gill xxx

Lol thanks Ali, I don't why I bloody bother......I should know better shouldn't I!:yes:

You should have guessed that some things are predicatable, but your efforts are appreciated nontheless :wink:

I think its a great site PIO wish I would have found it before coming here, it would have prepared me a lot better, reading both negative and positive posts, a lot of the negatives I can identify with especailly regarding the financial side with children on a low income. Its also good to read the positives, we need both to give a balanced view on life here.

Guest chris955

I quite agree, it is actually their country not yours as you are an immigrant, I don't care how long you have been here, sorry if that offends but you are totally incapable of seeing anything negative about this country. You are quite happy to agree with criticism of the UK but jump up and down and in this case get quite insulting when an Australian writes negative things about her own country. THEIR opinion.

This thread is in the Moving back to the UK section.

Bob, she was making caustic comments about HER country and surely she is allowed to do that - perhaps more so than a blow in even one who has been here for decades. Just because you dont like what she has to say doesnt make it any less of a valid reason for her. (Sorry making assumptions here that killingxspree is female)

This thread is about why people choose to leave and people leave because of their own experiences - they may not want to spend their lives struggling on a low income and spending their days in a boat fishing - horses for courses, doesnt make one lot right and the other wrong.

Guest chris955

Exactly, someone posts something completely absurd and with no basis in fact about the UK and certain people will agree and say well said but if I post actual facts that totally disprove the OP comments I am criticised.

I am not referring to this thread but generally. I do realise many on here don't want others to read negative comments about this country but that's life I'm afraid.

I think its a great site PIO wish I would have found it before coming here, it would have prepared me a lot better, reading both negative and positive posts, a lot of the negatives I can identify with especailly regarding the financial side with children on a low income. Its also good to read the positives, we need both to give a balanced view on life here.

there are so many reasons us poms are in in Australia,our reason was to help my son who was bringing up our granddaughter as a one parent family,as it happens we love Australia,I not my husband love the UK as well, would like to go back and forth forever but thats unrealistic,did go back for several months on my own to stay with friends,have to admit being in Manchester after being away for only a short time,I now know i could never go back and live there after a taste of the open space we now have and the weather in Victoria is also a plus side, have made good friends, there are so many beautiful parts of the UK where I do know i would love to be if the weather was better,but now all my close family are in Australia apart from my sister, so my main reason i know i do have to stay in Oz has changed to the reverse of so many on POMS, my family are over here as a few weeks back my other son emigrated ,if poms does mean Prisoner of whatever its lucky for those who do not settle at least we all have the choice to leave lol

Guest Guest37175
Main reason we are leaving australia...

a. Sick of the high cost of housing relative to income.

Until some bigger regional cities are built closer to the rural areas where normal people can afford to buy there first home we have no where to work (unless you call a 2 1/2 + hour commute to work by car reasonable). Some regional cities are the poorest excuse for a city. There is literally no work for professionals in them.

Plus the insurance on any place we were considering is astronomical as they are all prone to bush-fires.

b. Sick of the 'idiot culture'. All about drinking and clubing. And BS materialistic crap.

I wouldn't care at all if I could find/meet people like-minded people but...umm, we havent met any and hubby is especially not too happy on that front I mean he is literally alone. No friends and no family over here.

c. Sick of the horrible weather. Its certainly not sensible to spend copious amounts of time outdoors on a day where the UV index is at least 12 from 9-5. I hate being indoors all day. Though people like to argue you cant go outside in rainy cold weather. I like to say Bull. Put on a raincoat and enjoy the scenary.

d. The landscape is ugly. There I said it. It looks like someone dowsed it with petrol and went over it with a flamethrower. With the exception Melbourne and the beaches the rest is like a sandy desert. Looks like gardeners are fighting a losing battle to drought trying to tame it to resemble England.

e. Maternity leave/childcare... I can just forget about working after having a baby... As inevitably one of our incomes would need to sacrificed to cover childcare and the other mortgage and existance (food bills etc, so no staying home for daddy though we could alternate if there were enough jobs). Since its not subsidized (except for the poor I think? I'm doubtful on even that one to be honest) and maternity leave is not standard here yet. My partners mother said something about it being different in UK last time I talked to her, so hopefully she wasn't lying just to get us over there permanently to have grandkids =P.

f. Boring. So boring. There is nothing to do. Melbourne is much better on this front then Perth. Perth is awfully boring and the restaurant food is pricey and bad. Lamb is awfully overpriced. In the area I live in in Perth I cant seem to find any affordable lamb... seriously 40 dollars a kilo for lamb fillet/backstrap and I have to order in at least 5 kilograms. wtf? and other places dont even offer it. Also at least in melbourne and the uk you have family picnic spots worth going to. Even if they are a tad crowded.

I dont know whether you've caught on but I'm not even from the UK so you can forget about calling me a 'disgruntled pom' who came over to Australia with rose tinted glasses and visions of the sea and beach. I'm Australian. My partner is english and we cant wait to get back over there. Yes this post seems a bit harsh. Its just the careless tone I'm taking. I'm fed up and no one seems to put any good reasons. So for anyone interested here are mine.

Welcome to the party killingxspree.

You've certainly opened a few of us up to a new experience here, in that not even an Aussie can express critical views of their own country on this site.

Just to address the points you raised though and by way of an apology to the OP for how this thread has gone off track;

a) We cannot afford to live here despite being on a combined wage of nearly $100,000. Rent, childcare (rebates not withstanding as they get spent on other essential items), weekly food shop, public transport and daily living costs wipe us out. The massive increase in house prices and the weakened pound have obliterated any chance of us buying a place in Australia. The UK's not exactly affordable in that respect either but we will qualify for key-worker status there so we'll hopefully squeeze ourselves onto the property ladder that way but we've no chance here.

b) Dunno if the idiot culture is any different here than the UK. There's always a minority who think that everyone wants to see them drive dangerously in a residential area, keep dangerous dogs or have loud parties when the neighbourhood is trying to sleep. Same in both countries I reckon.

c) Personally the Queensland summers kill me. I find them as oppressive as most Aussies find a British winter. Whether it's retina-melting sunshine or three showers a day humidity I know I can't hack it. Leaves me misty-eyed for blandly grey skies and a spot of light drizzle!

d) Not sure I find the landscape ugly but it does nothing for me. I could crap on at this point about country villages and rolling fields but I lived in London before I came to Oz!. But personally I can't connect with my environment. I look out the window and see palm trees and that looks wrong somehow to a bloke who grew up in the North of England. I think if you feel uncomfortable in your environment then you can never really call a place home.

e) Can't really say much about childcare. In my view it's expensive and variable in quality in both countries and getting a good provider is as much down to luck as anything.

f) Boring?, how very dare you!. That accusation's always guaranteed to have the attack dogs of P.I.O. baying for your blood!. I do think that if you're going to move to the other side of the world and effectively cut yourself off from your family, friends and a way of life that you're familiar with, then what you're moving to has to be pretty special to compensate you for your losses. For me, Oz, or rather the small portion of SE Queensland I've spent time living in doesn't do that. There's nowt wrong with the place, but again it's a question of connection. I don't enjoy the climate, don't go the beach or engage in any of the activities related to it like surfing, or er,....dolphin-baiting or whatever. For me, that doesn't leave much else apart from cask wine, mosquito-swatting and moaning about Optus Broadband.

g) Other reasons?, well, SKYPE and Facebook are no substitute for proper time with family and friends, job opps are limited in our fields and I miss watching football at a time of day when I've sufficient energy to yell at the screen when my team are losing!. But most of all, it's about familiarity. England, for all it's faults (and there are many) will always be my home.

Nearly time to go.

etc...

Earls ,Bluebud now killin giving it a good go mate

Guest valleylass

Sdp

Yep sadly the thread has erupted in bad vibes all round; I chose not to post originally because exactly what I thought would happen to your thread did happen. I will happily pm you but I think what you were looking for was an open yet pleasant debate about the pros and cons of returning to the UK. Shame we couldn't sort that out really.

Regards

valleylass

Hang on a minute the threads title is going to be like throwin a joint of meat in a tank of pyrhanas , IMO people go back because they want to , they can give excuses valid in their eyes but its their choice ,some have left because of troubles with visas and they did not want to leave . Whatever the reason its not the countries fault Australia is australia ,as the uk is the uk South Africa is South Africa everywhere is different even tho the language is basically the same . Whereever you want to be enjoy it ,but dont be bitter ,

Il second that my hubby is a brickie and untill recently in oz he has worked for australians , croats and some people whos nationality is still a mystery , on the job everyone is sucking up to the boss , a lot of the them being out and out grasses running to the boss with all sorts of trivial ****, (ie what time other men are getting in in the morning and how long they are having for tea breaks when they are leaving to go home) he reckons this is normal behaviour here sticking in your co workers , infact a lot of the bosses expect you to dob , except for one Croat who had to tell a guy who was dobbing about all sorts of crap to p*ss off and stop doing his f***ING head in....

He has felt bloody uncomfortable working in this enviroment as he is used to all tradies mostly sticking together they watch out for one another , and do not let the bloody bosses know anything they dont need to know , thats as it should be.. He is now working for a guy from yorkshire and is feeling great about going to work for him as there is no expectation of the guys back stabbing each other and he also doesnt feel bottom of the food chain the guy being a fellow brit...

your hubby is 100% correct, the petty brown nosing and back stabbing was the worst i've ever seen it, absolutly no comradeship at all. The fabled "mateship" certainly wasn't prevalent on the sites i worked on.

Guest Freudian Slip
Sdp

Yep sadly the thread has erupted in bad vibes all round; I chose not to post originally because exactly what I thought would happen to your thread did happen. I will happily pm you but I think what you were looking for was an open yet pleasant debate about the pros and cons of returning to the UK. Shame we couldn't sort that out really.

Regards

valleylass

I would love you to pm me and give me your tale when you have the time vallylass, thank you.

By the way, the only open but pleasant debate I have read on here was in "Name That Tune "..:laugh:

Regards Gill.

Guest Freudian Slip
your hubby is 100% correct, the petty brown nosing and back stabbing was the worst i've ever seen it, absolutly no comradeship at all. The fabled "mateship" certainly wasn't prevalent on the sites i worked on.

Oh great, my husband won't like that one bit Aldo, he isn't very keen on "brown nosing" Lol.

Guest chris955

What a stupid comment, how can you decide what someone will or wont enjoy because of your opinions ?

Ozsceptic - welcome home, you're going to love the UK! NOT!

Guest Dave Payne

Hi All,

I guess that Australia is Australia and the UK is the UK.

I would not find it hard to come up with a lot of experiences that I did not enjoy about our time in Australia; equally well I could easily do the same with the UK.

At the end of the day, we would stay in Australia if we could. Why? Because we committed to making Australia our home and if enabled by PR, we would not be deflected by the negatives but would try and find our own positives. Australia has beauty in a different way from the UK. Both are great countries. I have worked in the desserts of the Middle East and they have beauty, in their own way.

Industrial relations is a problem area in Australia as many posters have pointed out. I work in the construction sector and have experienced it first hand: but this is also true of the UK: different issues in different places.

Each person should experience it for themselves and draw their own conclusions. What one person finds acceptable, another hates. Just let no-one assume that Australia is UK with Sun. It is a different culture, with different beliefs and ways of doing things. It is also a currently a huge melting pot of nationalities and cultures.

To return to the thread title. We are going home next week, because after two and a half years were are still on a 457 and I cannot get work after being made redundant with the GFC, despite literally hundreds of advertised positions in my sector and over 200 job applications. I am trapped between the migration system and qualification and licensing hurdles. I cannot live on sunshine.

The Rudd government has told employers to hire Australian and PR's and leave 457's to the very end. Only now am I seeing adverts with offers of sponsorship in WA. Too little too late.

We are going home to an uncertain future, to a country still apparently in recession and struggling with debt. It is called life. "je ne regret rien" (no regrets). I do not want hate in my heart.

Thanks for reading this far.

Dave.

Archived