For what reason/s did you come home?

Guest Freudian Slip

Guest moonsurfer

I will be honest with you all, the main reason for us wanting to leave this country and live elsewhere is I don't believe there is any kind of decent future in this country for our children.

them for the world and they are what matter most to me.

Hi all, I have been reading this with interest how people mention what is proved to be a better life in Australia for children. I can only offer my own example, which is, having moved over here in 1983 when I was 18 - parents emigrated for many reasons inc. Mrs Thatcher's government - unemployment - family over here BUT most of all the perception that prospects were so much better for all the family. Well I will not bore you with the details but will say that for the first few years, in the eighties, the economic situation, at least, was better. House prices ridiculously cheap - jobs plentiful - laid back lifestyle, less government interference. Fast forward 28 years and I wish I had left in 1992 when I first went back to the UK.... now am looking to move back in my mid 40's and am afraid it is too late! I feel I have wasted years in a country that is not moving forward and in fact seems to be going backward in terms of opportunities, technology, innovation and social progress. I never really fitted in with the culture and I feel that I was too old at 18 to adapt. Do it when the kids are young or maybe wait till they can decide what they really want.

Please don't ever think it is even remotely similar to the UK but with better weather!

- very high unemployment and a culture of 'mates' and 'who you know' getting the pick of the jobs.

- exponential increase in the last couple of years in fees, charges, bills, levies etc seem to be eating away what income people have.

- my view only is that if kids become professionally qualified at university, TAFE etc they will have to go overseas anyway to get relevant experience as there just don't seem to be the opportunities for young professionals here. Every day I hear something about someone's 20-something son or daughter heading to London or Asia for the job exp. What's left over are low-level service jobs with zero prospects.

- 'hoon' culture - once you have been exposed to it you'll never want to experience it again in 20 lifetimes!

Sorry if I am sounding negative I am only offering my own experience but I would think very carefully about doing it for the children, would not want anyone to feel as dispossessed as I do, later in life. Cheers

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Don't apologise for appearing negative if that is your view of things, they are just as valid, while I realise that people want a balanced opinion sometimes an opinion just can't be balanced.

The thing is it is all well and good saying I live 5 minutes from the beach and go fishing every day and my life is way better than back in the UK, I would say for that person his conclusion is absolutely correct. Would a person not into fishing and beaches reach the same conclusion ? Probably not.

I do struggle with the idea that life here is in some way better for kids, maybe if kids are into sports full time but even then it's not a foregone conclusion.

I don't think there is any evidence that life here is in fact healthier for kids, people in both countries have access to great fresh food but that doesn't mean their kids get it.

Guest Dave Payne
Hi all, I have been reading this with interest how people mention what is proved to be a better life in Australia for children. I can only offer my own example, which is, having moved over here in 1983 when I was 18 - parents emigrated for many reasons inc. Mrs Thatcher's government - unemployment - family over here BUT most of all the perception that prospects were so much better for all the family. Well I will not bore you with the details but will say that for the first few years, in the eighties, the economic situation, at least, was better. House prices ridiculously cheap - jobs plentiful - laid back lifestyle, less government interference. Fast forward 28 years and I wish I had left in 1992 when I first went back to the UK.... now am looking to move back in my mid 40's and am afraid it is too late! I feel I have wasted years in a country that is not moving forward and in fact seems to be going backward in terms of opportunities, technology, innovation and social progress. I never really fitted in with the culture and I feel that I was too old at 18 to adapt. Do it when the kids are young or maybe wait till they can decide what they really want.

Please don't ever think it is even remotely similar to the UK but with better weather!

- very high unemployment and a culture of 'mates' and 'who you know' getting the pick of the jobs.

- exponential increase in the last couple of years in fees, charges, bills, levies etc seem to be eating away what income people have.

- my view only is that if kids become professionally qualified at university, TAFE etc they will have to go overseas anyway to get relevant experience as there just don't seem to be the opportunities for young professionals here. Every day I hear something about someone's 20-something son or daughter heading to London or Asia for the job exp. What's left over are low-level service jobs with zero prospects.

- 'hoon' culture - once you have been exposed to it you'll never want to experience it again in 20 lifetimes!

Sorry if I am sounding negative I am only offering my own experience but I would think very carefully about doing it for the children, would not want anyone to feel as dispossessed as I do, later in life. Cheers

Hi Moonsurfer,

Mate, I think that it is very important that people planning to move to australia know how it is. Any migrant knows that they have to be positive to succeed but that doesn't mean that they should close their eyes to reality as you quite rightly point out. Due diligence is essential.

As you know, Mate'ism is a national Australian characteristic, expounded into legend by Banjo Paterson, Gallipoli, Kokoda etc. However few people realise how it pervades the employment culture both in big business and micro enterprises. They assume they will be treated on their merits - technical and professional, rather than on their relationship list. This is simply not so. Your progress and success in Australia depends on how quickly you make Australian mates. This is a huge success strategy for would be migrants and should be worked on from day one.

Hence I applaud your email, mate, In fact I start every email in Oz with "Mate,"

"Good on ya."

I agree with some of what you say Moonsurfer 18 is a hard age to emigrate as friendships have been formed by then. I also moved around the world as a teenager and the one thing I know is that it makes you feel like a square peg in a round hole all your life wherever you are. When you return to the UK you may feel exactly the same I did when I returned there to live. Its just the first generation of migrant thing.

Of course its not what you know its who you know and I am sure that applies in the UK as well. Its everywhere, read the other day how young lawyers in the UK were finding it difficult to get their articles first year in firms. This is when and who you know comes into play.

What happens everywhere in the world is down to us the voters as we get the politicians we deserve, I know not everyone in UK bothers to vote but they should.

for youngsters the climate, space and facilities are better here. Playgrounds and parks are better maintained, there are loads of water activities and you can picnic anytime.

In Uk whenever the weather looked promising and we took ourselves and grandson out for picnic, more often than not the weather would change and we had to sit with coats on and we always had to check where we were going to sit for dog muck or broken bottles etc...you don't have to do that here. Everywhere is so clean and I haven't seen any signs of vandalism here in the parks or playgrounds either.

Monica x

Guest siamsusie
for youngsters the climate, space and facilities are better here. Playgrounds and parks are better maintained, there are loads of water activities and you can picnic anytime.

In Uk whenever the weather looked promising and we took ourselves and grandson out for picnic, more often than not the weather would change and we had to sit with coats on and we always had to check where we were going to sit for dog muck or broken bottles etc...you don't have to do that here. Everywhere is so clean and I haven't seen any signs of vandalism here in the parks or playgrounds either.

Monica x

Hi Monica, and of course, it does depend from Borough to Borough...in the Uk... Bexhill-on- Sea /Brighton/Kensington & Chelsea/Richmond I found to be spotless..... and then we have Hackney or Bow where the streets are just plain filthy... for the latter where my darling son lives, if is not for want of the Boroughs not cleaning up, just sheer dirty people with no pride in their country.

Yes ! I agree here certainly in Tasmania I find it to be spotless, wonderful parks, children area etc... its just a matter of pride. best wishes Susie x

Guest SO,DIZZY
It's a pity that websites like this sometimes seem to be biased towards painting a very positive picture of Australia. It's interesting to observe that those posters who are negative about Australia are much more likely to fall foul of the mods for being rude than those who love Australia are when they are being rude.

and I thought i was the only one who thought that...

Its nice to know that someone else has recognised this...

THANKS!! dizz...:notworthy:

Guest moonsurfer
Hi Moonsurfer,

Mate, I think that it is very important that people planning to move to australia know how it is. Any migrant knows that they have to be positive to succeed but that doesn't mean that they should close their eyes to reality as you quite rightly point out. Due diligence is essential.

As you know, Mate'ism is a national Australian characteristic, expounded into legend by Banjo Paterson, Gallipoli, Kokoda etc. However few people realise how it pervades the employment culture both in big business and micro enterprises. They assume they will be treated on their merits - technical and professional, rather than on their relationship list. This is simply not so. Your progress and success in Australia depends on how quickly you make Australian mates. This is a huge success strategy for would be migrants and should be worked on from day one.

Hence I applaud your email, mate, In fact I start every email in Oz with "Mate,"

"Good on ya."

Dave is absolutely spot on, Petals says 'who you know' applies in the UK as well, as I am sure it would do, as it probably does in most places, I guess people like to employ people with whom they feel comfortable and/or of similar nature, but I would absolutely agree that this peculiar 'Australian mateship' thing goes beyond that. It is crucial that people inform themselves of this otherwise you'll spend years wondering what you're doing wrong and why opportunities are somehow passing you by despite a great deal of effort in your field of endeavour. It almost seems to be that you are being judged on how 'Australian' you are, in that how well you subconsciously fit the accepted stereotype for an Australian man or Australian woman, with all the pigeonholing that implies.

Guest SO,DIZZY

Il second that my hubby is a brickie and untill recently in oz he has worked for australians , croats and some people whos nationality is still a mystery , on the job everyone is sucking up to the boss , a lot of the them being out and out grasses running to the boss with all sorts of trivial ****, (ie what time other men are getting in in the morning and how long they are having for tea breaks when they are leaving to go home) he reckons this is normal behaviour here sticking in your co workers , infact a lot of the bosses expect you to dob , except for one Croat who had to tell a guy who was dobbing about all sorts of crap to p*ss off and stop doing his f***ING head in....

He has felt bloody uncomfortable working in this enviroment as he is used to all tradies mostly sticking together they watch out for one another , and do not let the bloody bosses know anything they dont need to know , thats as it should be.. He is now working for a guy from yorkshire and is feeling great about going to work for him as there is no expectation of the guys back stabbing each other and he also doesnt feel bottom of the food chain the guy being a fellow brit...

Guest chris955

I don't mean to be nasty and I apologise if that is how it comes across but that has got to be THE most sweeping generalisation I have ever heard. You don't work for the tourist board do you ? Amazingly we used to go out all the time and rarely would we have to put coats on or look out for dog ****. Did we see rubbish on the streets in the UK, absolutely and we see it here.

We have a park almost opposite our house in a very good area, the people that use it most seem to be the late teens who go their to drink. A couple of weeks ago the slide was covered in graffiti and last year a car was dumped there.

I am quite honestly very happy that where you live this doesn't happen but I would hate to imagine what it would be like in a bad area.

By all means love your new life here but please try and keep it real.

Monica x

Guest lifeinmono

Monica x

Oh dear.

As I write this from my ''nice'' suburb, a man is over the road from me cleaning up the broken glass at the bus shelter. Must be the dozenth time this year. Literally.

No vandalism??? That's a joke!! Graffiti, tagging and general property damage everywhere in Melbourne. There isn't a single red Australia Post box around me that hasn't got tags in black marker pen all over it.

Dream on.:biglaugh:

Guest chris955

We like balance on here, just to keep things real for a second.

Woonona playground vandalised - Local News - News - General - Illawarra Mercury

Play Equipment Vandalism

Wollondilly Shire Council: News: Vandalism at Picton Botanic Gardens

MORONS STRIKE AGAIN: Second playground attack in three days - Local News - News - General - The Warrnambool Standard

This is NOT a UK better than Australia post as I am under no illusions I could find all the same stories for the UK but please try and keep some balance with these crazy assumptions. :wink:

Guys were did Perth Princess say there was no vandalism in Australia?????????????

Again you are pulling apart someone and twisting what they said. Because you may have seen a vandalised park or read about it as Chris obviously as with all his helpful stats above doesnt mean she is a liar like you are almost protraying.

For your information i actually agree that overall playgrounds here do seem to be kept in better condition and have less condoms and needles lying around than the playgrounds i visited when living in the UK. I also find public toilets cleaner and they actually have soap and loo roll in them most of the time here.

Cal x

Guest chris955

PerthPrincess ?

Everywhere is so clean and I haven't seen any signs of vandalism here in the parks or playgrounds either.

Monica x

I am referring to this post Chris which Siam susie replied to at the top of this page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perth Princess viewpost.gif

Monica

Guest The Pom Queen
and I thought i was the only one who thought that...

Its nice to know that someone else has recognised this...

THANKS!! dizz...:notworthy:

To be honest I don't think for one minute the mods have any favouritism and maybe if posters stuck to the rules then they wouldn't be any problems. For a start rules, 4,5,6 and 7 are always being broke by the same few at the moment:

Be respectful to your fellow members, this is a friendly and great environment; we wish to keep it that way so please treat others as you would like to be treated.

Moderators may, if felt appropriate move your post if it becomes more relevant / pertinent to another part of the forum.

Please remember that moderators are volunteer helpers that are here to ensure the forum runs smoothly. Please respect this if they have to contact you/edit/remove or add additional comments to your threads or posts.

Should you have any issues with a moderator you must contact the forum administrator PomsInOz Forum - Contact Us.

Discussions about moderator or administrator actions are welcome in email or local private messages, but should not be placed in the public forums.

Please keep your language clean and decent. This include personal inflammatory language as well as obscenities.

Maybe if you all played fairly and allowed others to have their own views without jumping down their throat then there wouldn't be a problem.

I personally don't hate the UK nor Australia, there are good and bad in both, and obviously at some point you weren't happy in the UK otherwise you wouldn't have been in Australia in the first place.:wubclub:

I don't mean to be nasty and I apologise if that is how it comes across but that has got to be THE most sweeping generalisation I have ever heard. You don't work for the tourist board do you ? Amazingly we used to go out all the time and rarely would we have to put coats on or look out for dog ****. Did we see rubbish on the streets in the UK, absolutely and we see it here.

We have a park almost opposite our house in a very good area, the people that use it most seem to be the late teens who go their to drink. A couple of weeks ago the slide was covered in graffiti and last year a car was dumped there.

I am quite honestly very happy that where you live this doesn't happen but I would hate to imagine what it would be like in a bad area.

By all means love your new life here but please try and keep it real.

Excuse me, but I am keeping it real ...this is how it was and is for us. I am talking about personal experience not making a sweeping statement. I do not work for the tourist board nor am I wearing rose tinted specs. I speak as I find and I thought that was what this forum was about. Another small point ....the UK Environment Agency states that 1 in 3 beaches in UK is deemed unsafe for children and dirty and 5 are in Cornwall. So when the weather is decent(LOL) you may have trouble finding a beach safe for your kids to play on. According to the Lonely Planet website 3 of the top 10 safest beaches for children in the world are in Australia. Number 2 being at Cottesloe in WA.

Monica:cool:

Guest chris955

Only the first paragraph was by PP, the rest is what I was replying to.

I am referring to this post Chris which Siam susie replied to at the top of this page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perth Princess viewpost.gif

Monica

Excuse me, but I am keeping it real ...this is how it was and is for us. I am talking about personal experience not making a sweeping statement. I do not work for the tourist board nor am I wearing rose tinted specs. I speak as I find and I thought that was what this forum was about. Another small point ....the UK Environment Agency states that 1 in 3 beaches in UK is deemed unsafe for children and dirty and 5 are in Cornwall. So when the weather is decent(LOL) you may have trouble finding a beach safe for your kids to play on. According to the Lonely Planet website 3 of the top 10 safest beaches for children in the world are in Australia. Number 2 being at Cottesloe in WA.

Monica:cool:

I agree to your remarks ,just a a little bit puzzled by Cotty being safe for kids it is patrolled and clean and a great beach but has some big surf , not really apt for littlies ,but mullaloo is imo more suitable for littlies , more flatter and calmer,

Mally

Only the first paragraph was by PP, the rest is what I was replying to.

You know what Chris ,, i really couldnt give a flying F &** about who wrote what. I am sick to death of logging on and seeing the same names destroy perfectly good threads and dragging this forum down to their level.

They know who they are and worse They Know Exactly What theyre doing!

Cal x

I agree to your remarks ,just a a little bit puzzled by Cotty being safe for kids it is patrolled and clean and a great beach but has some big surf , not really apt for littlies ,but mullaloo is imo more suitable for littlies , more flatter and calmer,

Mally

Hi Mally,

Just quoting what it said on website hon. Not had the pleasure yet. BTW I love reading your comments on PIO. A man after my own heart. Down to earth and tells it like they see it. :cool:

Monica

ps which part of Yorkshire are you from? I'm originally from Huddersfield

Firstly I would just like to thank you all for replying, you have given me plenty to think about.

(roma1, don't worry hun about taking the thread off topic, it's absolutely fine, I don't mind at all.)

I will just answer your question first. MSTO.

I am actually hoping to go there,( well I was) we are still in the process of obtaining a visa.

But since I have been a keen poster and reader of this forum, all my excitement and all my enthusiasm of getting a Visa and living in Australia, has just vanished.

I was once one of those people who was wowed by Australia, ( even though I haven't even set foot in the country ). All the fantastic things you see on the TV about Aus, all the beautiful pictures in magazines and books.It looked like paradise, and I found it all to be very enticing. And My husband is still adamant that it's the place to be, but he doesn't really read any threads on the forum anymore (since I hijacked his username) unless they contain facts about the visa process.

On further inspection to certain threads on the forum, I am slowly but surely finding out, Australia is not all it's cracked up to be. Of course I knew it wouldn't be perfect, no where is, is it? But none the less it doesn't sound half as attractive to me as it did this time last year.

And the fact that house prices are ridiculously expensive, and that the exchange rate isn't the best just sort of put a downer on the whole process even more.

Also another thing, reading threads like "What Is Great about Britain" ( I don't think that is the exact title of the thread, but it's something along those lines) After reading threads like that, it kind of makes you think and appreciate what really is good/great about Britain and there is a lot. Sadly there is a lot wrong with it too, otherwise people wouldn't be leaving. But still, it has made me realise just how much I appreciate and love the good things about Britain, especially when the sun is shining like today.

For a start I am a country girl born and bred, I love the country, and we have some of the best wildlife and country side in the world I would say (I am sure Quoll will agree with me after reading her post).

It sounds daft but I have started, really appreciating simple things, things like what I suppose I took for granted before, things like the smells of the country, even cow crap...Lol. I appreciate my work more, (I work in a beautiful setting outside and in.) Things like British humour, I have a great sense of humour and I love British humour and I think it's important to enjoy life in that way and laugh a lot. My Gran use to say, those who laugh the most live the longest and I believe there's something in that, she certainly had a great sense of humour and lived till she was 90 odd.

I will be honest with you all, the main reason for us wanting to leave this country and live elsewhere is I don't believe there is any kind of decent future in this country for our children. I don't want to turn this thread into a political thread,( please don't let that happen) I talk enough about that over in CTF, but basically that is what it boils down too.

Had I not had children I would have either stayed in Britain or married a Swedish millionaire.....:laugh: and lived in Europe.

But as it stands I am not married to a Swedish millionaire I am married to an English plasterer and we have two beautiful sons together and I wouldn't change them for the world and they are what matter most to me.

So with that in mind, it is important that I get their future right and at the moment I am having major doubts about Australia, but in the same breath I feel if I don't give it a shot, then I will never know.

I guess I just wanted to hear from some of you who had been there and done that.So thank you all for taking the time to tell me your side of it. Much appreciated.:yes:

All the best, Gill.:biggrin:

Hi, I can only say you have to try it. Don't be put off by posts on here from people who haven't settled. It's obviously not for everyone.

As in most forums, the people that bother to join and post are generally people with an axe to grind or a complaint to air. Most people that have emigrated and are having a great time or don't have a problem wouldn't bother this forum by posting.

I've been lucky enough to travel around quite a bit in Oz and seen how diverse the place is. I really like Perth, where we've settled, but could have just have easily settled in Queensland or Sydney. Would have needed more money when we came to consider Sydney or Melbourne but I know that's changed over the years with Perth no longer being the cheaper option. The climate in differrent states is totally differrent, some not too different from the UK others, like Perth, have a "mediterranian" climate, for want of a better description. It's worth doing research to see where you think you would fit in best.

I notice quoll (i think) lives in Canberra. Now that is the one place I've visited that I thought if I'd gone there I would have moved to somewhere on the coast. I found it strangely like Milton Keynes. You can get away snow skiing at the weekend from there which would be good. I've never been skiing and would love to go.

One of the things which lead to our move was worrying about our childrens furure. Our youngest was 2 when we came (now 21) and we have a 15 year old Son too. They're both doing well and I feel there has been a lot more opportunity for them to do things here than there would have been in the UK.

Again, don't be put off by the negative posts in forums. You might find in a couple of years that you will be saying "we should have made the move 10 years earlier" like we did.

All the best,

Paul.

Hi Mally,

Just quoting what it said on website hon. Not had the pleasure yet. BTW I love reading your comments on PIO. A man after my own heart. Down to earth and tells it like they see it. :cool:

Monica

ps which part of Yorkshire are you from? I'm originally from Huddersfield

South Yorkshire , Rotherham, had some good nites out in Huddersfield ,mind you not The Amsterdam Bar (for the record ) lol

I have to keep stating this but I AM speaking just from personal experience. Everything I write is MY personal opinion and experience. Never have I said there is no vandalism here...just that I have not yet come across any. Don't treat me like an idiot...of course I know there are problems here as in the Uk. I have lived in "bad" areas and "nice" areas in UK but never felt safe in any of them. Here we live in what is assumed a "nice" area and I feel totally safe. UK or Oz? Whatever floats your boat.

Monica

South Yorkshire , Rotherham, had some good nites out in Huddersfield ,mind you not The Amsterdam Bar (for the record ) lol

ROTFLMAO Mally.....loved the Amsterdam Bar....some great nights out there buy they knew how to have a good night.....sadly been closed many years and was an Indian Restaraunt last time I looked LOl Oh happy days

Monica xx:jiggy:

Archived