For what reason/s did you come home?

Guest Freudian Slip

Guest Freudian Slip

Hi guys

I just wondered for those of you who have moved back, what was the main reason, were you just homesick? Or is it a collection of things that have made you want to come back to the UK or one thing inparticular.

Regards Gill

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I think we are all very aware of your feelings but could this thread actually be for people who have moved back to the UK. :wink:

I think we are all very aware of your feelings but could this thread actually be for people who have moved back to the UK. :wink:

Sorry, M'lud. Couldn't help it, the fertile old mind cannot be stilled, try as I might, your lordship...:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest lifeinmono
Hi guys

I just wondered for those of you who have moved back, what was the main reason, were you just homesick? Or is it a collection of things that have made you want to come back to the UK or one thing inparticular.

Regards Gill

If I manage to get home at some stage in the future it will be because I find Australia hugely overrated and generally find much more on offer THAT I PERSONALLY ENJOY in the UK than I do in Australia. Australia's bland, conservative, 1950's suburban feel bores me virtually to tears and I am sick of feeling trapped and isolated. If you love the ''outdoors life'' and so on then bully for you but remember that not everyone is motivated by endless sunshine and McMansions.

Hi Gill

Mine was a mixture of things, at first it was the homesickness and the crying which alot of people go through. I hated Christmas, for me Australia didn't have no Christmas spirit, the salon i was working in didn't even put no decorations up, which i thought was very strange!! I'd been use to lots of fuss at christmas.

The kids especially my 10 year old just couldn't settle, he missed his grandparents awfully.

The education is so behind, with Bentons junior college only just having white boards fitted!!

The network support of four children was very difficult when we both had to work and no one to look after my eldest two.

I could have got use to living in Australia and i still miss it, it is a beautiful country but when i ask the kids about going back they never want to return there, so who knows, for now they are happy with their old friends back and family.

Australia will always be there but grandparents won't.

Tania xx

Hi Gill

Mine was a mixture of things, at first it was the homesickness and the crying which alot of people go through. I hated Christmas, for me Australia didn't have no Christmas spirit, the salon i was working in didn't even put no decorations up, which i thought was very strange!! I'd been use to lots of fuss at christmas.

The kids especially my 10 year old just couldn't settle, he missed his grandparents awfully.

The education is so behind, with Bentons junior college only just having white boards fitted!!

The network support of four children was very difficult when we both had to work and no one to look after my eldest two.

I could have got use to living in Australia and i still miss it, it is a beautiful country but when i ask the kids about going back they never want to return there, so who knows, for now they are happy with their old friends back and family.

Australia will always be there but grandparents won't.

Tania xx

Hi Tania,

When i first joined pio you were the first member to welcome me and i have followed your move and then your move back, your posts are always honest and from the heart and i wish you and your family the very best of luck wherever you decide to settle, who knows in a couple of years you may decide to give it another crack, but at least you have been there and done that, you are a true pio great.:hug:

If I could move "back" it would actually be a move forwards for me for all that UK can offer me that I cant get here - I tend to agree with lifeinmono, I am bored and trapped here. I would move for the variety and depth of opportunities. I love the UK scenery and the variety within a small distance. The English countryside with its ever changing appearance - the bright bursts of colour that change with the seasons as opposed to the unending muted greens of the eucalypts is also a big feature for me. I would move for the history - walking around and seeing a thousand years of human endeavour in your face at pretty much every turn. I also much prefer the people - I havent had a good laugh here in years (except for with my long term expat friends) and the genuine desire to be helpful which barely goes beyond the superficial "you must come to a barbie" with a view to what they can get out of you rather than a desire to be friends with you. I love the markets, the parks, the buzz of London, the capacity to escape to somewhere else for a short break if I want to, hell, I even love the driving - so much more interesting than the boring 8 hours with not a change of scenery and barely a loo break to be had (I must be the only person in the world to enjoy a traffic jam on the M25 in the rain, but I did last Easter, it was one of the best days of my life!!!). UK is far more suited to my interests and hobbies - it's hard to do genealogy from 12000 miles for example and the craft fairs and exhibitions are mind blowing in comparison with the local offerings.

Of course, I would be enjoying the people as well - my parents are old and they could do with having me around (only child) and I have one son whose career prospects were distinctly bettered by a gap year in UK from whence he has not bothered to return - he will be getting married next year so probably will have a family there so I will be even more torn between the grandkid (plus one on the way) and family here and family there.

I see a move to UK as a real move forward to a breadth of experience which just cant be had in Australia. I guess it is my need for adventure in reverse! I dont think of it as homesickness per se, rather a need for different things at this stage of my life.

PS and, as a bonus, I would move for the wildlife - I cannot stand the cacophonic screeching of the birds here and I adore the sweet singing of the birds in the hedgerows and the russian roulette of encountering kangaroos on reasonably local roads at dusk still scares the pants off me although I did notice a surge in montjacks on my last trip.

Guest roma 1

Hi Gill and sorry for taking your op off track for a moment but Quoll mentioned the birds and myself and my daughter are doing a survey for the RSPB ( listening/identifying different birds and their songs )and i didn't realise how different they all sounded.. absolutely lovely in the morning .. listening to them now in our garden..

sorry back on track now.. Thanks Gill

Gail xx

Hi guys

Regards Gill

I havent moved back yet but in the process of making that move.

Personally for me I miss my family and having two young children (both born in Oz) I want them to be part of our families lives....I remember when I first posted on Oz I was so over it beaches, DH long hours etc but now that we have made the decision to move back I am enjoying our time here but still cant wait for that move back. Australia is a wonderful place and will always be filled with happy memories for us and to be honest we have had so many positives from the move out here....but now it is time to move on. We have recently gained our Citizenship and who knows what the future holds but for now our future is back in the UK.

Can I ask why you are asking the question are you out here or hoping to come?:biggrin:

Guest Freudian Slip

Firstly I would just like to thank you all for replying, you have given me plenty to think about.

(roma1, don't worry hun about taking the thread off topic, it's absolutely fine, I don't mind at all.)

I will just answer your question first. MSTO.

I am actually hoping to go there,( well I was) we are still in the process of obtaining a visa.

But since I have been a keen poster and reader of this forum, all my excitement and all my enthusiasm of getting a Visa and living in Australia, has just vanished.

I was once one of those people who was wowed by Australia, ( even though I haven't even set foot in the country ). All the fantastic things you see on the TV about Aus, all the beautiful pictures in magazines and books.It looked like paradise, and I found it all to be very enticing. And My husband is still adamant that it's the place to be, but he doesn't really read any threads on the forum anymore (since I hijacked his username) unless they contain facts about the visa process.

On further inspection to certain threads on the forum, I am slowly but surely finding out, Australia is not all it's cracked up to be. Of course I knew it wouldn't be perfect, no where is, is it? But none the less it doesn't sound half as attractive to me as it did this time last year.

And the fact that house prices are ridiculously expensive, and that the exchange rate isn't the best just sort of put a downer on the whole process even more.

Also another thing, reading threads like "What Is Great about Britain" ( I don't think that is the exact title of the thread, but it's something along those lines) After reading threads like that, it kind of makes you think and appreciate what really is good/great about Britain and there is a lot. Sadly there is a lot wrong with it too, otherwise people wouldn't be leaving. But still, it has made me realise just how much I appreciate and love the good things about Britain, especially when the sun is shining like today.

For a start I am a country girl born and bred, I love the country, and we have some of the best wildlife and country side in the world I would say (I am sure Quoll will agree with me after reading her post).

It sounds daft but I have started, really appreciating simple things, things like what I suppose I took for granted before, things like the smells of the country, even cow crap...Lol. I appreciate my work more, (I work in a beautiful setting outside and in.) Things like British humour, I have a great sense of humour and I love British humour and I think it's important to enjoy life in that way and laugh a lot. My Gran use to say, those who laugh the most live the longest and I believe there's something in that, she certainly had a great sense of humour and lived till she was 90 odd.

I will be honest with you all, the main reason for us wanting to leave this country and live elsewhere is I don't believe there is any kind of decent future in this country for our children. I don't want to turn this thread into a political thread,( please don't let that happen) I talk enough about that over in CTF, but basically that is what it boils down too.

Had I not had children I would have either stayed in Britain or married a Swedish millionaire.....:laugh: and lived in Europe.

But as it stands I am not married to a Swedish millionaire I am married to an English plasterer and we have two beautiful sons together and I wouldn't change them for the world and they are what matter most to me.

So with that in mind, it is important that I get their future right and at the moment I am having major doubts about Australia, but in the same breath I feel if I don't give it a shot, then I will never know.

I guess I just wanted to hear from some of you who had been there and done that.So thank you all for taking the time to tell me your side of it. Much appreciated.:yes:

All the best, Gill.:biggrin:

Firstly I would just like to thank you all for replying, you have given me plenty to think about.

(roma1, don't worry hun about taking the thread off topic, it's absolutely fine, I don't mind at all.)

I am actually hoping to go there,( well I was) we are still in the process of obtaining a visa.

But since I have been a keen poster and reader of this forum, all my excitement and all my enthusiasm of getting a Visa and living in Australia, has just vanished.

I was once one of those people who was wowed by Australia, ( even though I haven't even set foot in the country ). All the fantastic things you see on the TV about Aus, all the beautiful pictures in magazines and books.It looked like paradise, and I found it all to be very enticing. And My husband is still adamant that it's the place to be, but he doesn't really read any threads on the forum anymore (since I hijacked his username) unless they contain facts about the visa process.

On further inspection to certain threads on the forum, I am slowly but surely finding out, Australia is not all it's cracked up to be. Of course I knew it wouldn't be perfect, no where is, is it? But none the less it doesn't sound half as attractive to me as it did this time last year.

And the fact that house prices are ridiculously expensive, and that the exchange rate isn't the best just sort of put a downer on the whole process even more.

Also another thing, reading threads like "What Is Great about Britain" ( I don't think that is the exact title of the thread, but it's something along those lines) After reading threads like that, it kind of makes you think and appreciate what really is good/great about Britain and there is a lot. Sadly there is a lot wrong with it too, otherwise people wouldn't be leaving. But still, it has made me realise just how much I appreciate and love the good things about Britain, especially when the sun is shining like today.

For a start I am a country girl born and bred, I love the country, and we have some of the best wildlife and country side in the world I would say (I am sure Quoll will agree with me after reading her post).

It sounds daft but I have started, really appreciating simple things, things like what I suppose I took for granted before, things like the smells of the country, even cow crap...Lol. I appreciate my work more, (I work in a beautiful setting outside and in.) Things like British humour, I have a great sense of humour and I love British humour and I think it's important to enjoy life in that way and laugh a lot. My Gran use to say, those who laugh the most live the longest and I believe there's something in that, she certainly had a great sense of humour and lived till she was 90 odd.

I will be honest with you all, the main reason for us wanting to leave this country and live elsewhere is I don't believe there is any kind of decent future in this country for our children. I don't want to turn this thread into a political thread,( please don't let that happen) I talk enough about that over in CTF, but basically that is what it boils down too.

Had I not had children I would have either stayed in Britain or married a Swedish millionaire.....:laugh: and lived in Europe.

But as it stands I am not married to a Swedish millionaire I am married to an English plasterer and we have two beautiful sons together and I wouldn't change them for the world and they are what matter most to me.

So with that in mind, it is important that I get their future right and at the moment I am having major doubts about Australia, but in the same breath I feel if I don't give it a shot, then I will never know.

I guess I just wanted to hear from some of you who had been there and done that.So thank you all for taking the time to tell me your side of it. Much appreciated.

Nice post:notworthy:

Had I not had children I would have either stayed in Britain or married a Swedish millionaire..... and lived in Europe.

I guess I just wanted to hear from some of you who had been there and done that.So thank you all for taking the time to tell me your side of it. Much appreciated.:yes:

I understand why you have these thoughts, for us we moved here at the right time. The exchange rate was good, the housemarket in the UK was good so we made a few quid on our house and the house market here in Oz was ok too. Had we had to make the decision to move now it would have been very hard decision to make as the reason for coming here was not because we were unhappy in the Uk. We had no children and it was just something we had too I have absolutely no regrets about coming here. Personally I think if you want to come you should how will you know if you never go, everyone is different and it could be the best decision you have ever made. However I guess the way things are now financially it could ruin you if its not what you thought and you want to return home.

Good Luck on your decision :hug:

The reason you are talking about the kids is what made us decide as well to come here, not being able to see a future in the uk for the chidren and their safety, but since being here, all my nephew and nieces in the uk seem to be doing well, I have one niece that has just graduated from St Andrews with a medical degree and working as a doctor in an hospital and doing further training as she wants to be a neuro surgeon, one niece just about to graduate newcastle uni with a law degree, another nephew 2nd year in Oxford, niece just completed college going onto uni to be a councellor, she is a young single parent, other family members doing apprenticeships and we are just a normal working class family types, not cashed up worked hard to pay mortgage, etc, from the north of england, but also worked hard to help the kids with uni and guided them if that is the path they chose I suppose what I am trying to say is there are opportunitys in England for kids, even for the not so well off as my family are. But again there are wonderful opportunities in Oz as well for children, my children love living here, but when they lived in England they loved their live as well there, with their cousins and friends, something I have thought a lot about over the 4 years since being here, I ask myself often what would the kids be doing now if in England and would they be better of here or there, I still don't have the answer, who knows.

Dont do it for the kids. If you want to scratch your own itch for adventure then go for it but there is nothing magical about a future for the kids here. Kids are going to do well if they have good caring parents who guide and support them through the tough times as well as the good ones. There are just the same problems besetting young Australians as there are young Poms - drugs, mental health issues, unemployment, gang violence, HECS bills, expensive property etc etc

There are ample opportunities for kids in UK just the same as there are here. One of my kids has emigrated back to UK for better career opportunities - he went for a gap year nearly 8 years ago and hasnt returned but fell on his feet with his first job and has been having a great time ever since. He might return one day but not for the forseeable future and with his London born and bred fiancee I doubt they will actually ever return. She would die here I am sure.

I compare the outcomes for my kids and for my friends' kids and there is very little to choose between them in reality. They all have degrees and all have employment even if my younger son is a bit off the wall and still semi focussing on his self sufficiency kick down in Gippsland (he may wake up and smell the roses one day) - and I think he is envying his older brother's way of life and wide experiences but he wouldnt come right out and say it. DS2 has realized that he needs to make some changes for his kids and with number 2 on the way I think he may well follow his brother down a career path if he can get his feet on one here in Aus!!!

That said, my kids say they enjoyed their childhood here but both of them at different times have commented on how isolated we are as a family. For all those years it was just us 4 and now that both of them are in relationships they comment on how their partners have huge family networks which they do not. We are a close family but DH's family are 10 hours away by car so they didnt feature highly in the boys' young lives and my parents came and went every year. DS1 has quite close ties with my parents and remaining aunt and uncles now he is in UK. So dont discount the effects of isolation and lack of extended family.

Hi,

My husband is also a plasterer, and trust me we are no better off than we where in the uk. No matter how much research you do it doesnt prepare you for the reality. We researched loads and thought that plasterers where in high demand and paid well. But in reality when you get here it is far from the truth.

Plastering jobs are hard to come by, they pay next to nothing.

Plastering in oz is totaly diffrent to the uk from the materials they use to the way they apply it. My husband it seriously thinking about coming out of the trade. He says as a brit you cant keep up with the ozzies, he says you can but will take time and practice and as its paid by the meter. Brits would struggle once they get here.

I always have thoughts about moving back to the uk, we have only been here since august but its always at the back of my mind. I miss simple things like cheap clothes shopping, specialy since i have three kids. Dont think you can beat primark. I also miss cheap food shopping in asda. I miss food with flavour. Everything tastes bland or really salty. I miss friends and family. I miss the school run and chatting to parents in the playground (parents either wait in car or kids walk themselves home here). I miss meeting friends in the pub at the weekend.

Rachael

Guest Perth Princess
Dont do it for the kids. If you want to scratch your own itch for adventure then go for it but there is nothing magical about a future for the kids here. Kids are going to do well if they have good caring parents who guide and support them through the tough times as well as the good ones. There are just the same problems besetting young Australians as there are young Poms - drugs, mental health issues, unemployment, gang violence, HECS bills, expensive property etc etc

There are ample opportunities for kids in UK just the same as there are here. One of my kids has emigrated back to UK for better career opportunities - he went for a gap year nearly 8 years ago and hasnt returned but fell on his feet with his first job and has been having a great time ever since. He might return one day but not for the forseeable future and with his London born and bred fiancee I doubt they will actually ever return. She would die here I am sure.

I compare the outcomes for my kids and for my friends' kids and there is very little to choose between them in reality. They all have degrees and all have employment even if my younger son is a bit off the wall and still semi focussing on his self sufficiency kick down in Gippsland (he may wake up and smell the roses one day) - and I think he is envying his older brother's way of life and wide experiences but he wouldnt come right out and say it. DS2 has realized that he needs to make some changes for his kids and with number 2 on the way I think he may well follow his brother down a career path if he can get his feet on one here in Aus!!!

That said, my kids say they enjoyed their childhood here but both of them at different times have commented on how isolated we are as a family. For all those years it was just us 4 and now that both of them are in relationships they comment on how their partners have huge family networks which they do not. We are a close family but DH's family are 10 hours away by car so they didnt feature highly in the boys' young lives and my parents came and went every year. DS1 has quite close ties with my parents and remaining aunt and uncles now he is in UK. So dont discount the effects of isolation and lack of extended family.

For all I have been homesick and looking for reasons to move back to the UK, I have to be honest and say that for young kids I do think Oz offers a better childhood. I think it balances out as they get older, but for youngsters the climate, space and facilities are better here. Playgrounds and parks are better maintained, there are loads of water activities and you can picnic anytime. Kids get bored with these things as they grow up but it is nice when they are little.

Guest Perth Princess

My own reasons for wanting to come home are mostly just missing friends and family way more than I expected to. It's really like mass bereavement. People will tell you it's fine now we have skype etc., but come on, it's hardly the same is it? My next biggest reason would be education, I think British schools are much better. I also miss the shops and supermarkets. I miss the history and beautiful old towns.

On saying all that, moving back may prove too hard for us for various reasons. My kids and husband love it here, so I am trying to be positive about it. There are lots of things that I like about Oz- the space, the cleanliness, public transport, public facilities e.g. libraries (where they often waiver fines and CDs and DVDs are free), the fresh local produce, the wine, the lack of (comparitively to UK) beaurocracy, reduced petty crime (people often don't bother locking their bikes and somehow they don't get nicked). Hang on....why did I want to come home??:eek:

Guest chris955

I must admit I am confused every time I read that people come here for a better future for their kids and for the safety. In what way is the average person safer here when in a similar situation to the UK ? If you live in the country you are much less likely to encounter crime than if you lived in a city and that applies anywhere, wouldn't it be cheaper to move to a 'safer' place in the UK ?

Australia has more murders per capita than the UK

In Australia you are .3 per 1000 people less likely to be assaulted

Australias burglary rate is approaching double that of the UK and is amazingly No1 in the world.

Car theft is higher here than the UK.

Australia has a higher rate of murders committed by youths.

Australia has a higher number of victims of rape.

Australia and UK has the same % of victims of robbery per capita.

Australia has a much higher rate of youth suicide

Now before people start jumping up and down this is NOT anti Australian and is purely to show the feeling of being safe is perceived and not real.

Guest lifeinmono
I must admit I am confused every time I read that people come here for a better future for their kids and for the safety. In what way is the average person safer here when in a similar situation to the UK ? If you live in the country you are much less likely to encounter crime than if you lived in a city and that applies anywhere, wouldn't it be cheaper to move to a 'safer' place in the UK ?

Australia has more murders per capita than the UK

In Australia you are .3 per 1000 people less likely to be assaulted

Australias burglary rate is approaching double that of the UK and is amazingly No1 in the world.

Car theft is higher here than the UK.

Australia has a higher rate of murders committed by youths.

Australia has a higher number of victims of rape.

Australia and UK has the same % of victims of robbery per capita.

Australia has a much higher rate of youth suicide

Now before people start jumping up and down this is NOT anti Australian and is purely to show the feeling of being safe is perceived and not real.

Well, we know that itcouldbeworse (''Kev'') will be along in a moment to rubbish all of that, don't we.

It is very interesting to observe that people frequently report that they feel safer in Australia than they do in the UK but the statistics don't actually validate and support that perception.

I assume that people feel safer in Australia because of all the propaganda you hear about Australia all the time and all the negativity about the UK spouted by the likes of the Daily Mail and Daily Express.

The Daily Mail is so negative (ridiculously so) about the UK that people think that they simply must be safer anywhere other than the UK. Factor in the belief that Australia is a utopian paradise and it's not really a surprise that British expats believe that they are safer in Australia.

My brother-in-law was mugged at knife-point in Melbourne and though it's anecdotal I've not had a friend or acquaintance attacked in such a way in the UK. Though I live in a decent area, a few months ago a teenager was mugged at knife-point for his ipod not 2 minutes from where I live. I've seen far worse road-rage (in terms of how dangerous the behaviour was for other road users) here in Victoria than I've ever seen in the UK.

It's amazing how many claims people make about the wonderfulness of Australia that are not supported or substantiated by stats at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. Bit like when people claim you can fit England into Victoria 13 times or something when you can't even get it in twice.

Would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Guest chris955

To be honest I just want people to come here with an open mind and not full of the propaganda they are fed. I'm not worried about portraying a negative view as there are more than enough people happy to tell them all the things they want to hear.

I was talking an English mate this morning who lives in Germany, we were chatting about my desire to go back to the UK and live in a village in Devon, he said why would you want to, surely your kids will have a better life in Australia :confused: He said what about the rain :laugh:

Guest Dave Payne

For my wife and I; we have been forced out of OZ after 2.5 years due to a failure to get PR. We have suffered procedural unfairness, illegal work practices and despite this would still have given it a go but reached the point where we couldn't live on sunshine. Wonderful country, great beaches, met some great people: Aussie and expat, but couldn't get over the barriers to entry both migration and professional. Too much barbed wire. They have armies of bureaucrats tasked with making the migration process a nightmare and depriving the migrant of their savings. We gave it a good go and are now looking forward to the breathe of freedom of not having our lived dictated by the department of immigration.

Guest lifeinmono
To be honest I just want people to come here with an open mind and not full of the propaganda they are fed. I'm not worried about portraying a negative view as there are more than enough people happy to tell them all the things they want to hear.

I was talking an English mate this morning who lives in Germany, we were chatting about my desire to go back to the UK and live in a village in Devon, he said why would you want to, surely your kids will have a better life in Australia :confused: He said what about the rain

Oh yeah - cos rain is a major disaster, isn't it.

In any case:

145 rain days per year in London.

146 rain days per year in Melbourne.

What are people on about?!:wacko:

For my wife and I; we have been forced out of OZ after 2.5 years due to a failure to get PR. We have suffered procedural unfairness, illegal work practices and despite this would still have given it a go but reached the point where we couldn't live on sunshine. Wonderful country, great beaches, met some great people: Aussie and expat, but couldn't get over the barriers to entry both migration and professional. Too much barbed wire. They have armies of bureaucrats tasked with making the migration process a nightmare and depriving the migrant of their savings. We gave it a good go and are now looking forward to the breathe of freedom of not having our lived dictated by the department of immigration.

thats only the legal migrants

Guest lifeinmono

I was talking an English mate this morning who lives in Germany, we were chatting about my desire to go back to the UK and live in a village in Devon, he said why would you want to, surely your kids will have a better life in Australia :confused: He said what about the rain :laugh:

It's a pity that websites like this sometimes seem to be biased towards painting a very positive picture of Australia. It's interesting to observe that those posters who are negative about Australia are much more likely to fall foul of the mods for being rude than those who love Australia are when they are being rude.

Archived