For what reason/s did you come home?

Guest Freudian Slip

Guest guest30038
Boo just testing the water

It gets rough at times...................it's all those boat people making the waves! :biglaugh:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest LongwayDown

Excellent forum i congratulate you all. Chris what is wrong with you? You are the most unpopular man in Australia. Do you want to know why????

I shall tell you.....

How dare you say Australia is not the best country in the world.

How dare you say that living anywhere in Europe having access to( London,Paris,Brussels,Berlin,Lisbon,Rome,Nice,French Riviera,Dublin,Zurich,Costa del Sol,Prague etc etc need i go on????) has anything near as good as what Australia can offer you.

England is s**t it has no beaches?? Surely spending 8 hours a day every day on a beach is the pinnacle of lifestyle just sat around bored out of your head frying every day of the week sounds like fun. Aussies and expats like the beach life so why dont you????

Most of Northern Europe including London doesnt have a summer im afraid with an average temperature of 23 in London 24 Paris, Nice 27, 30 Madrid compared to Sydneys 26 why on earth would anybody want to live there when they can live in Oz.

How dare you say it rains in Sydney! With Sydneys average rainfall of 1000mm per year and Londons 500mm its the driest place in the world.

Australia has the best healthcare system in the world.

Australia has the best SAS in the world

Australia has the best univeristities in the world they overtook Oxford, Cambridge Harvard years ago. If you dont believe this ask an Aussie and i can tell you that they have been awarded 7 nobel prizes compared to UK 115 and USA 230ish.

Alll housing in Australia is free. It is law that every migrant is awarded own house and land for free.

To take out a 30 year mortgage is an offence and will result in death penalty.

Melbourne has 2000 hours of sunhine per year compared to south Uk which has only 1800.

The 4 hours per week is a real let down. This 30 minutes a day is a real problem.

There is absolutely no crime in Australia. No gangsters etc like the UK. In fact the brilliant Underbelly series was a complete work of fiction.

English people are so negative about everything unlike their Aussie counterparts who are so positive.

Sorry positive about talking about Australia but everything/everywhere else is s**t.

Its just an honour to live here it really is. Escaping that awful countryside, London, and the temperature oh god!! An average of 8 celcius in the winter. Its colder than Siberia, Canada, Moscow,Poland Berlin etc etc.

All business centres and the FTSE 100 shall cease trading as of now and shall relocate to either Ballarat Victoria or Singleton NSW or even Lightning Ridge. Everyone in London has decided to leave and migrate to these places because it is on average 6 celcius warmer all year round.

The whole of the United Kingdom is in meltdown and even Gordon Brown/Tony Blair are seeking new careers in Australia because they want to own their own swimming pool.

Ok im having a bit of light hearted fun here, Australia is not a bad place to live,i dont regret coming here, but i do regret leaving the UK.

Im right behind you Chris, theres so much propaganda out here its not funny and the worst aspect is that a lot of it is created by Pomes not Aussies. I think its a case of trying to fool everybody else including themselves that they chose wisley.

If its financially viable i think ill be gone in the next few years myself. Ive enjoyed it here but its certainly not the b all and end all.

Good luck everyone which ever direction you choose to sail.

Guest chris955

I read the first line and thought 'Oh my God where is this headed ?' :laugh:

I totally agree that it is indeed the British who make it seem so bad, what you have to realise is that probably the majority of immigrants leave the UK because they don't like some major aspects of life there. They are only too happy to tell anyone who will listen just how bad everything is back 'home' and of course many Aussies just lap it up.

Some friends of ours came over to live a few years ago and they were at our place one night and we were, of course, having a BBQ. My mate said to me 'bloody hell we couldn't do this back in the UK' :confused: Why ? We used to do it all the time. When my father in law was staying with us he bought a set of car seat covers to take back, I asked him why and he said because everything is so expensive back home. 5 minutes on the internet and I found them at Halfords cheaper, oh yeah but they probably aren't as good.

It is my experience that the British are their own worst enemies most of the time.

Guest guest30038
. I think its a case of trying to fool everybody else including themselves that they chose wisley.

Spot on................I've been fooling myself for 15 yrs.................why I haven't utilised that money in the bank to get me back to Nirvana, I just don't know? :goofy:

kev

Guest guest30038

It is my experience that the British are their own worst enemies most of the time.

True.......they come out here and make themselves thoroughly miserable.........some of 'em, anyway :goofy:

kev

Spot on................I've been fooling myself for 15 yrs.................why I haven't utilised that money in the bank to get me back to Nirvana, I just don't know? :goofy:

kev

Have you got a Nirvanian passport kev , so you have tri citizenship oz ,uk and nirvana thats cool mate

Guest guest30038
Have you got a Nirvanian passport kev , so you have tri citizenship oz ,uk and nirvana thats cool mate

I've got a passport to anywhere mate. ............It's all in your head where, and how you live............at the moment I'm in LA in Angela Jolie's bedroom :biggrin:

kev

I've got a passport to anywhere mate. ............It's all in your head where, and how you live............at the moment I'm in LA in Angela Jolie's bedroom :biggrin:

kev

well if your busy with Angelina can i play with Brad pitt?

you talk some sense girl lol, and i agree with what you say 100%..

chris

Firstly I would just like to thank you all for replying, you have given me plenty to think about.

(roma1, don't worry hun about taking the thread off topic, it's absolutely fine, I don't mind at all.)

I will just answer your question first. MSTO.

I am actually hoping to go there,( well I was) we are still in the process of obtaining a visa.

But since I have been a keen poster and reader of this forum, all my excitement and all my enthusiasm of getting a Visa and living in Australia, has just vanished.

I was once one of those people who was wowed by Australia, ( even though I haven't even set foot in the country ). All the fantastic things you see on the TV about Aus, all the beautiful pictures in magazines and books.It looked like paradise, and I found it all to be very enticing. And My husband is still adamant that it's the place to be, but he doesn't really read any threads on the forum anymore (since I hijacked his username) unless they contain facts about the visa process.

On further inspection to certain threads on the forum, I am slowly but surely finding out, Australia is not all it's cracked up to be. Of course I knew it wouldn't be perfect, no where is, is it? But none the less it doesn't sound half as attractive to me as it did this time last year.

And the fact that house prices are ridiculously expensive, and that the exchange rate isn't the best just sort of put a downer on the whole process even more.

Also another thing, reading threads like "What Is Great about Britain" ( I don't think that is the exact title of the thread, but it's something along those lines) After reading threads like that, it kind of makes you think and appreciate what really is good/great about Britain and there is a lot. Sadly there is a lot wrong with it too, otherwise people wouldn't be leaving. But still, it has made me realise just how much I appreciate and love the good things about Britain, especially when the sun is shining like today.

For a start I am a country girl born and bred, I love the country, and we have some of the best wildlife and country side in the world I would say (I am sure Quoll will agree with me after reading her post).

It sounds daft but I have started, really appreciating simple things, things like what I suppose I took for granted before, things like the smells of the country, even cow crap...Lol. I appreciate my work more, (I work in a beautiful setting outside and in.) Things like British humour, I have a great sense of humour and I love British humour and I think it's important to enjoy life in that way and laugh a lot. My Gran use to say, those who laugh the most live the longest and I believe there's something in that, she certainly had a great sense of humour and lived till she was 90 odd.

I will be honest with you all, the main reason for us wanting to leave this country and live elsewhere is I don't believe there is any kind of decent future in this country for our children. I don't want to turn this thread into a political thread,( please don't let that happen) I talk enough about that over in CTF, but basically that is what it boils down too.

Had I not had children I would have either stayed in Britain or married a Swedish millionaire.....:laugh: and lived in Europe.

But as it stands I am not married to a Swedish millionaire I am married to an English plasterer and we have two beautiful sons together and I wouldn't change them for the world and they are what matter most to me.

So with that in mind, it is important that I get their future right and at the moment I am having major doubts about Australia, but in the same breath I feel if I don't give it a shot, then I will never know.

I guess I just wanted to hear from some of you who had been there and done that.So thank you all for taking the time to tell me your side of it. Much appreciated.:yes:

All the best, Gill.:biggrin:

i can see what ur saying about the whole mates issue etc, BUt i have to admit, it is abit the same over here in N.Ireland, and we dont complain about cus its is us that favour from it, but obvioulsy when we move to OZ the shoe will be on the other foot lol.

so i will have to get friends quickly and get my foot in the door lol.

Hi Moonsurfer,

Mate, I think that it is very important that people planning to move to australia know how it is. Any migrant knows that they have to be positive to succeed but that doesn't mean that they should close their eyes to reality as you quite rightly point out. Due diligence is essential.

As you know, Mate'ism is a national Australian characteristic, expounded into legend by Banjo Paterson, Gallipoli, Kokoda etc. However few people realise how it pervades the employment culture both in big business and micro enterprises. They assume they will be treated on their merits - technical and professional, rather than on their relationship list. This is simply not so. Your progress and success in Australia depends on how quickly you make Australian mates. This is a huge success strategy for would be migrants and should be worked on from day one.

Hence I applaud your email, mate, In fact I start every email in Oz with "Mate,"

"Good on ya."

Guest guest30038
well if your busy with Angelina can i play with Brad pitt?

I'll get the Monopoly board out :biglaugh:

kev

• 2 weeks later...

Archived