For what reason/s did you come home?

Guest Freudian Slip

Guest chris955

In all fairness you are returning to a country that has been out of recession for some months now and is showing good signs of recovery and I wish you all the best with it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dave Payne

Thanks,

Excellent. I have been following the news a little bit on the BBC and newspapers and had hoped that recovery would come with the warm weather.

We are looking forward to seeing the old country again tremendously.

Dave

Hi All,

I guess that Australia is Australia and the UK is the UK.

I would not find it hard to come up with a lot of experiences that I did not enjoy about our time in Australia; equally well I could easily do the same with the UK.

At the end of the day, we would stay in Australia if we could. Why? Because we committed to making Australia our home and if enabled by PR, we would not be deflected by the negatives but would try and find our own positives. Australia has beauty in a different way from the UK. Both are great countries. I have worked in the desserts of the Middle East and they have beauty, in their own way.

Industrial relations is a problem area in Australia as many posters have pointed out. I work in the construction sector and have experienced it first hand: but this is also true of the UK: different issues in different places.

Each person should experience it for themselves and draw their own conclusions. What one person finds acceptable, another hates. Just let no-one assume that Australia is UK with Sun. It is a different culture, with different beliefs and ways of doing things. It is also a currently a huge melting pot of nationalities and cultures.

To return to the thread title. We are going home next week, because after two and a half years were are still on a 457 and I cannot get work after being made redundant with the GFC, despite literally hundreds of advertised positions in my sector and over 200 job applications. I am trapped between the migration system and qualification and licensing hurdles. I cannot live on sunshine.

The Rudd government has told employers to hire Australian and PR's and leave 457's to the very end. Only now am I seeing adverts with offers of sponsorship in WA. Too little too late.

We are going home to an uncertain future, to a country still apparently in recession and struggling with debt. It is called life. "je ne regret rien" (no regrets). I do not want hate in my heart.

Thanks for reading this far.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Have you thought of giving WA a try? The climate would suit you a lot better by the sound of it. We have hot sunny weather but nowhere hear as much humidity. If you could get some company to sponsor you it might be a pleasant surprise.

Guest Dave Payne

Hi Paul,

Thought about it. Even tried to action it. Applied to 20+ companies in WA.

Zip. Usual stuff related to sponsorship etc.

Reckon it needs to heat up a bit more until the skills shortages really start to bite and affect projects. Then all this stuff about protecting Australian jobs will be replaced by the need to develop Australia's resources and the big bottom line.

In the meantime off to "blighty" I have to go under orders from DIAC. But like the Terminator. I'll be back" ... maybe.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Dave.

your hubby is 100% correct, the petty brown nosing and back stabbing was the worst i've ever seen it, absolutly no comradeship at all. The fabled "mateship" certainly wasn't prevalent on the sites i worked on.

Surely a bit of hard work and getting stuck in isn't beyond people?

If you're new to a job too, you have to expect to be under greater scrutiny.

I know that if I take too long for my lunch/leave early it's bound to get noticed by someone. I wouldn't call it 'brown nosing', I would call it being conscientious.

And to then blame someone else when you can't play by the rules...:eek:

Surely a bit of hard work and getting stuck in isn't beyond people?

If you're new to a job too, you have to expect to be under greater scrutiny.

I know that if I take too long for my lunch/leave early it's bound to get noticed by someone. I wouldn't call it 'brown nosing', I would call it being conscientious.

And to then blame someone else when you can't play by the rules...:eek:

Sorry but i refuse to let a namby pamby wimp who spends most of his work time in his mobile phone posting on PIO lecture me about hard work.

I have just got back from laying 60m2 of concrete in monsoon conditions and every muscle in my body aches. You obviously have no idea about the construction industry yourself, if you did you will know that if you pull out al the stops and work hard to finish a piece of work (as i have this morning) a good guvnor would usually say well done lads, see you at the pub (or similar). This is extremely rare in Australia and one of the reasons i couldn't wait to get out.

Sorry but i refuse to let a namby pamby wimp who spends most of his work time in his mobile phone posting on PIO lecture me about hard work.

I have just got back from laying 60m2 of concrete in monsoon conditions and every muscle in my body aches. You obviously have no idea about the construction industry yourself, if you did you will know that if you pull out al the stops and work hard to finish a piece of work (as i have this morning) a good guvnor would usually say well done lads, see you at the pub (or similar). This is extremely rare in Australia and one of the reasons i couldn't wait to get out.

Bit touchy there mate.

Didn't realise how raw that nerve was...:wideeyed:

Care work (paid)

Support work (part of my course but going to apply for paid job cos it's ace)

study

run a business and manage bands.

Surely as my number one fan you knew this?:wacko:

how do you find the time for PIO:elvis:

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, you're very defensive today aren't you?

C'mon mate, whats eating ya?:eek:

I do a bit of counselling too - Unconditional Positive Regard guaranteed.

Talk to poppa...:hug:

I'm fine thanks poppa, pondering whether to go down t'pub or save myself for tomorrow. What do you think?

I'm fine thanks poppa, pondering whether to go down t'pub or save myself for tomorrow. What do you think?

Alcohol is a depressant mate, possibly not the best thing in your condition.

Maybe a nap to rest those aching muscles?:SLEEP:

Alcohol is a depressant mate, possibly not the best thing in your condition.

Maybe a nap to rest those aching muscles?:SLEEP:

naps are for wimps. anyway i'm a happy drunk, you must have me confused with someone else.

my drinking arm is fine thanks, shouldn't you be writing/gardening/spending time with kids or somefink?

That's the thing with you loonies, always telling the little people what to do.

Don't oppress me man!

It's not a fascist state yet:wideeyed:

That's the thing with you loonies, always telling the little people what to do.

Don't oppress me man!

It's not a fascist state yet:wideeyed:

calm down, where did i tell you what to do? are you little? arghh can i call you little paul?

Guest shark
Care work (paid)

Support work (part of my course but going to apply for paid job cos it's ace)

study

thats right ,like you have told us how you go to work ,and play on your iphone ,when you are looking after kids in a home,can understand if it was your lunch break ,but on it all throw your work:laugh:,that takes the piss.little paulv

calm down, where did i tell you what to do? are you little? arghh can i call you little paul?

I'm a libertarian - be your own man, don't go asking permission, do what pleases ya!

(as long as no one else is harmed etc)

Archived