Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by RobDav

  1. Hi There, Can anyone recommend a good Tax Accountant in North Sydney. I've found a few on the Internet but would like some recommendations if anyone has any please? Myself and my girlfriend are here on a 457. I still have a property in the UK that I'm renting out so I need an accountant who is aware of issues around being an Australian tax resident but on a temporary visa. Cheers Rob
  2. Hi There, We've been here for a couple of years on a 457 and have decided to head back to the UK for a couple of reasons. We initially shipped about 30 boxes of stuff here from the UK and it didn't cost the earth. We have purchased some reasonable furniture since being here and I'm wondering what the options are for taking the furniture and probably more than 30 boxes of stuff back? Do we need to get a full container to ship furniture back with the boxes in as well? Can you part fill a container if you don't need a full one. Any advice, recommended companies, recommended options would be appreciated. Cheers Rob
  3. Hi All, If my girlfriend and I decide we want to travel around Australia for a few months after we resign from our jobs, what options are there? We are currently both on separate 457 visas and I understand that you have 28 days in which to leave Australia but what options are there if we want to go travelling i.e. we don't want to get another job with a 457 or try and work out what other visa to apply for? Is there a travel visa we can apply for? Can we do this while we're still in Australia etc? Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers Rob
  4. Hi There, Currently my girlfriend and I are both on my 457 visa. My girlfriend's employer is now going to sponsor her for her own 457. I'm currently the higher earner between us so it makes sense for me to remain on my 457 for LAFHA until I decide to leave my job. My question is, how easy is it for me to transfer onto her visa as her de facto partner when I decide to switch employers (assuming the new employer doesn't sponsor me straight off the bat)? What is the process? Thanks and regards Rob
  5. RobDav

    Recommendations for an accountant in Sydney

    H&R Block are ok, they have loads of offices. --- I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-33.849177,151.202806
  6. RobDav

    ACS - "with assessor"

    Hi There, I was recently in the same situation with the ACS. They say to allow 12 weeks, I chased them up at week 10 but got nowhere. At the end of week 11 I got my letter. If you ask me it's a bit of a con and just generates money for the ACS. Not sue why your on 16 weeks, I chase them up and ask. --- I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-33.849232,151.203009
  7. Hi There, The time has come to make some decisions. I'm currently on a 457 visa and I know if I quit, without the intention of getting another job with sponsorship, that I have 28 days to leave the country. If we decide to go travelling around Australia, what are our options? I know you can apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) but you cannot apply while in Australia and it's only valid for six months? Are there any other options? I'm assuming not but I thought I'd ask in case anyone else has done this. Cheers Rob
  8. Hi All, I applied for an ACPO Police Certificate for a 457 visa application. The certificate expired 29th March 2010. We're now on our second 457, living in Oz, and looking to apply for PR. I seem to remember the certificates are only valid for 12 months from the date of issue but I'm not sure where I read that. Does anyone know how long they are valid for? More importantly, is there an easy way to renew one or do you have to go through the process from scratch? We have been living in Australia for just over 12 months now. If you have to start from scratch, how do you go about getting a new certificate/renewing one from Oz if you can't prove UK address for the last six months or do we not need one if we've been living in Oz for the last year and are now applying for PR? Many thanks, Rob
  9. OK, will wait and see what they come back with. Thanks.
  10. Hi There, I'm wondering for a subclass 176 visa via the New South Wales skilled sponsored migration, how rigid are they on occupations in IT? They have these occupations listed under IT: Software Engineer - 261313 Analyst Programmer - 261311 Developer Programmer - 261312 I am a Systems Architect/all round IT person except for anything to do with programming. Given the skills shortage in Australia, do you think it's worth applying for skilled sponsorship or not? Anyone tried it? Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers Rob
  11. I'm already doing the ACS skills assessment, it's at stage 4 out of 5 but I vaguely remember already specifying an ANZSCO as part of the skills assessment application. May this be changed or will they just use the one I applied with? I don't think the one I used was on the NSW sponsorship list. Cheers Rob
  12. Hi There, dumb question, I understand the whole Category 175 and Category 176 visa but what are the references to "Category 2's and Category 3's where are you?" in the thread subjects? What does this mean, is there a Category 1 also? What's the difference? I'm here on 457 and contemplating applying for 175 category visa. Cheers Rob
  13. OK so any idea how I apply to NSW? It's not clear from DIAC link Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) About this Visa How this Visa Works Eligibility Obligations Applying for this Visa State or Territory Government Nomination Participating state or territory governments will assess your eligibility for nomination under this visa scheme. If a state or territory government agrees to nominate you for this visa, they will provide you with a letter or reference number which you must include with your application. The nominating state or territory government will then provide the department with a nomination form to confirm your nomination after you have lodged your visa application. Obtaining nomination from a participating state or territory government does not mean that you will be automatically granted a visa. You must also be assessed by this department against a number of visa-specific requirements. You will only be granted a visa if all requirements are met. See: Step 2 - Applicant Applies for a Visa Thanks, Rob.
  14. Thanks for the quick and informative responses as ever on pomsinoz! So that means a minimum of a 18 months to 2 years for a case officer, slightly off putting but not sure I want to do the 176 route even assuming my employer would agree to it!
  15. I'm here on a 457 and in the IT industry it's clearly who you know and not what you know that counts. Use any contacts you might have as it seems the easiest way to get a job but may not be the same for all industries. Good luck.
  16. Thanks for the quick response. I guess my concern is what I need to provide to the ACS to get the positive skills assessment as that seems to be a requirement regardless of which group I apply under? I'm on a 457 visa at the moment. Cheers Rob
  17. Can anyone advise on what I need to provide as evidence to achieve a successful skills assessment from the Australian Computer Society given that I have: a) BSc Honors in Computing (2.1) from a UK University (graduated in 1996) b) I have been working entirely in IT since graduating (14 years or so) primarily in Technical Consultant roles c) I will have been working in IT in Australia for 12 months by the time I apply as an End User Technology Architect I have my degree certificate, CV, references for the last five years in the UK which only confirm I was working in a Technical Consultant role, nothing more in the way of detail. I can get a reference from my current employer stating what I have been doing for the last 12 months here. Will this be sufficient or do I need more? Any advice would be great. Getting detailed references for my UK based roles will be hard. Cheers Rob
  18. RobDav

    Submission of documents to ACS

    Hi There, The list of accepted certifying authorities doesn't include Australia Post, does anyone know if the ACS accept documents certified by Australia Post? Thanks Rob
  19. I’m trying to get to the bottom of changing employers when employed on a 457 visa. It seems as of Sept 2009 it is possible to do this: From the horse’s mouth: Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) link to DIAC site - has the txt below Applying for a new visa or changing employer If you have an employee who wants to apply for a new visa (where their current visa is about to expire), the employee must lodge a new visa application. From 14 September 2009, 457 visa holders who wish to change employer or position (within the validity of their current visa) will not be required to apply for a new Subclass 457 visa. I think that means that a new employer would need to do both the first two bits of the 457 application i.e. Step 1 - Employer Applies to be a Sponsor The employer must complete an application to become a sponsor. Step 2 - Employer Nominates a Position The employer must nominate the position to be filled. Step 3 - Employee Applies for a Visa The employee must apply for a visa to be allowed to work in Australia. 457 charges Employer Sponsored Temporary Visa Charges link to DIAC site Charge Type Charge Amount Visa Application Charge $265 Nomination Charge $70 Sponsorship Charge $350 So it would cost the new employer $420 Does this look about right, has anyone done this recently and have anything to add or correct? Or does the employer only need to carry out Step 2 and nominate a position? I’m assuming Step 2 cannot be done without Step 1 having also been done? Many thanks, Rob
  20. RobDav

    Changing employers on a 457 visa

    Has anyone does this recently? I would really appreciate any feedback.
  21. Hi There I'm here on a 457 as a defacto, how long before we can apply for permanent residency? Many thanks Rob
  22. RobDav

    Stamp in visa.

    I'm not sure but if you haven't got time then I wouldn't worry. Just make sure you have a copy of the email with your visa number etc. Print a copy off and hang on to the email in electronic format.
  23. RobDav

    Stamp in visa.

    We're here on a 457 and don't have a stamp. It's optional but if you have time I would get one as otherwise you have to present a print out of your visa when getting a mobile phone contract, signing a flat tenancy, opening a bank account etc.
  24. I want to keep my UK mobile number active while I'm in Oz as I have had it for 15 years or so. Has anyone looked into the cheapest and easiest way to do this? 02 do a pay monthly SIM (no contract, monthly rolling) but the cheapest is still £10/month. Pay and Go is a pain as if you don't use it/top it up then it becomes dormant and you run the risk of losing your mobile number. Anyone any ideas or looked into this please? Cheers Rob