Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Neutral

About RobDav

  • Rank
  1. Hi There, We've been here for a couple of years on a 457 and have decided to head back to the UK for a couple of reasons. We initially shipped about 30 boxes of stuff here from the UK and it didn't cost the earth. We have purchased some reasonable furniture since being here and I'm wondering what the options are for taking the furniture and probably more than 30 boxes of stuff back? Do we need to get a full container to ship furniture back with the boxes in as well? Can you part fill a container if you don't need a full one. Any advice, recommended companies, recommended options would be appreciated. Cheers Rob
  2. Hi All, If my girlfriend and I decide we want to travel around Australia for a few months after we resign from our jobs, what options are there? We are currently both on separate 457 visas and I understand that you have 28 days in which to leave Australia but what options are there if we want to go travelling i.e. we don't want to get another job with a 457 or try and work out what other visa to apply for? Is there a travel visa we can apply for? Can we do this while we're still in Australia etc? Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers Rob
  3. Hi There, Currently my girlfriend and I are both on my 457 visa. My girlfriend's employer is now going to sponsor her for her own 457. I'm currently the higher earner between us so it makes sense for me to remain on my 457 for LAFHA until I decide to leave my job. My question is, how easy is it for me to transfer onto her visa as her de facto partner when I decide to switch employers (assuming the new employer doesn't sponsor me straight off the bat)? What is the process? Thanks and regards Rob
  4. RobDav

    Recommendations for an accountant in Sydney

    H&R Block are ok, they have loads of offices. --- I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-33.849177,151.202806
  5. RobDav

    ACS - "with assessor"

    Hi There, I was recently in the same situation with the ACS. They say to allow 12 weeks, I chased them up at week 10 but got nowhere. At the end of week 11 I got my letter. If you ask me it's a bit of a con and just generates money for the ACS. Not sue why your on 16 weeks, I chase them up and ask. --- I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-33.849232,151.203009
  6. Hi There, The time has come to make some decisions. I'm currently on a 457 visa and I know if I quit, without the intention of getting another job with sponsorship, that I have 28 days to leave the country. If we decide to go travelling around Australia, what are our options? I know you can apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) but you cannot apply while in Australia and it's only valid for six months? Are there any other options? I'm assuming not but I thought I'd ask in case anyone else has done this. Cheers Rob
  7. Hi There, Can anyone recommend a good Tax Accountant in North Sydney. I've found a few on the Internet but would like some recommendations if anyone has any please? Myself and my girlfriend are here on a 457. I still have a property in the UK that I'm renting out so I need an accountant who is aware of issues around being an Australian tax resident but on a temporary visa. Cheers Rob
  8. Hi All, I applied for an ACPO Police Certificate for a 457 visa application. The certificate expired 29th March 2010. We're now on our second 457, living in Oz, and looking to apply for PR. I seem to remember the certificates are only valid for 12 months from the date of issue but I'm not sure where I read that. Does anyone know how long they are valid for? More importantly, is there an easy way to renew one or do you have to go through the process from scratch? We have been living in Australia for just over 12 months now. If you have to start from scratch, how do you go about getting a new certificate/renewing one from Oz if you can't prove UK address for the last six months or do we not need one if we've been living in Oz for the last year and are now applying for PR? Many thanks, Rob
  9. OK, will wait and see what they come back with. Thanks.
  10. I'm already doing the ACS skills assessment, it's at stage 4 out of 5 but I vaguely remember already specifying an ANZSCO as part of the skills assessment application. May this be changed or will they just use the one I applied with? I don't think the one I used was on the NSW sponsorship list. Cheers Rob
  11. Hi There, I'm wondering for a subclass 176 visa via the New South Wales skilled sponsored migration, how rigid are they on occupations in IT? They have these occupations listed under IT: Software Engineer - 261313 Analyst Programmer - 261311 Developer Programmer - 261312 I am a Systems Architect/all round IT person except for anything to do with programming. Given the skills shortage in Australia, do you think it's worth applying for skilled sponsorship or not? Anyone tried it? Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers Rob
  12. OK so any idea how I apply to NSW? It's not clear from DIAC link Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) About this Visa How this Visa Works Eligibility Obligations Applying for this Visa State or Territory Government Nomination Participating state or territory governments will assess your eligibility for nomination under this visa scheme. If a state or territory government agrees to nominate you for this visa, they will provide you with a letter or reference number which you must include with your application. The nominating state or territory government will then provide the department with a nomination form to confirm your nomination after you have lodged your visa application. Obtaining nomination from a participating state or territory government does not mean that you will be automatically granted a visa. You must also be assessed by this department against a number of visa-specific requirements. You will only be granted a visa if all requirements are met. See: Step 2 - Applicant Applies for a Visa Thanks, Rob.
  13. Thanks for the quick and informative responses as ever on pomsinoz! So that means a minimum of a 18 months to 2 years for a case officer, slightly off putting but not sure I want to do the 176 route even assuming my employer would agree to it!
  14. Hi There, dumb question, I understand the whole Category 175 and Category 176 visa but what are the references to "Category 2's and Category 3's where are you?" in the thread subjects? What does this mean, is there a Category 1 also? What's the difference? I'm here on 457 and contemplating applying for 175 category visa. Cheers Rob